***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,702 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
J.P. 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, what a division the AL West is shaping itself up to be to attract free agents who care more about comfort and fun than old-school baseball history: play a significant chunk of your games in one of 3 retractable-roof stadiums, Southern California...or Las Vegas.
wbt5845
AG
FWIW - Seattle only has a roof - it is not climate controlled. They ONLY close the roof for rain. I've been out there freezing to death and dearly wanted it closed!

jkag89
AccidentProne said:

Y'all should venture over to the Astros thread. How quickly they turn on their own team when they're losing
Avoiding it like the plague. Any dip in fortunes during the regular season was bad enough, not hard to imagine the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. I'm sure it is making the Zoo during a Aggie defeat look rational and and sane in comparison.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
As much as I hate it, I think Mazara needs to go this off season. Is there anyway someone with 2 third basemen who needs a lefty power hitting outfielder can be enticed?
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Thoughts?
Add Gerrit Cole and they can be real close to that magic $175 million payroll they've promised everyone in one swing.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - do the Rangers even pay Biddle?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article235941402.html?__twitter_impression=true

Article talking about odor possibly being replaced.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article235941402.html?__twitter_impression=true

Article talking about odor possibly being replaced.
That reads more like wishful thinking, than anything of substance. If Solak can supplant Odor... more power to him.

This?
Quote:

General manager Jon Daniels said late in September that Odor must be better in 2020 and that a big contract won't dictate who will receive the lion's share of the playing time.
Have you ever known JD to just cut a player?

This is what does it for me, though...

about Odor:
Quote:

It took a .984 OPS in September, the most difficult month to get a true evaluation of players, for Odor to get above .700.
Ok... fair enough. Sept is hard to evaluate, but this?

Quote:

Solak, meanwhile, finished his first taste of the majors with an .844 OPS. He hit for average (.293), reached base (.393) and hit for power (.491 slugging percentage).

He did so essentially as an everyday player bouncing between second base, third base and designated hitter. Woodward called Solak, who retained his rookie status, the Rangers' best player from his MLB debut Aug. 20 through mid-September. Even when Solak stumbled some in September, he still managed to hit for a higher average and reach base more often than Odor.
So, against the same pitching, Odor hit a .984 OPS and Solak was a .844 OPS, BUT... it is only difficult to measure Odor badly, but look optimistically for Solak? Great... Solak (batting 4th & 5th) got on base and had a higher average. Who scored more? Who had more RBIs?

Solak was :
DH 17 G, .321 BA
3B 11 G, .256 BA
2B 5 G, .294 BA

Quote:

It's not unusual for hitters to develop power as they climb through the minor leagues.

That happened with Odor.
That 2nd statement is just flat out not true.

Odor in the minors:
'11: Age 17 A-: 58 G, 2 HR
'12: Age 18 A: 109 G, 10 HR
'13: Age 19 A+: 100 G, 5 HR
'13: Age 19 AA: 30 G, 6 HR
'14: Age 20: AA: 32 G, 2 HR
Debut in MLB @ 20. He played 114 games in 2014.
'15 - 30 G @ AAA
'18 - 3 G @ AAA
'18 - 2G @ AA
'19 - 2G @ AAA

He hasn't really played many minor league games for the Rangers. 366 G, most in 2 seasons, wehre he hit 10 and 11 HRs. Since his debut at age 20... he has 37 G in the minors. In MLB, he has gone 14, 21, 33, 21, 23, 30. Not even at the MLB level has he developed more power.

I don't doubt that article is completely supported by JD. I think Odor going straight to Simpson and finalizing a deal pissed off JD and JD has wanted to get rid of Odor ever since. But JD can't. And if JD does... Odor will make him look foolish.

You can't say with a straight face that he should be the opening day second baseman in 2020.

He just hasn't played well enough or consistent enough.

3 awful years in a row should be more than enough evidence.
TheAngelFlight
Arguing that Odor's power didn't get and hasn't got better is an odd way to defend Odor.

That said, "power" is much more than raw home run totals. Odor's minor league SLG% went .352.400.474.450.639 his first 5 years, albeit with different sample sizes.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Meanwhile.......

The Yankees who are known for offense have shut down the Astros and Tanaka has faced the minimum through 6 innings in Houston. The Astros thread is in melt down mode at the moment.

Grapesoda2525
Torres OWNS Astros pitching. This might be a fun series to watch.
Danny Vermin
Go Yanks then go Nattys!!
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

Go Yanks then go Nattys!!
That would be perfect.

I want the cardinals to crash and burn, not only because of our history with them, but they would be an easy win for the yanks / Astros.
TheAngelFlight
Quote:

And I provided the necessary support to show how dumb it was. If the author said "That happens with most players," then fine. I would accept that.

The author tries to take a 24 years old rookie, who has improved his power through the minors and says the same thing happened with Odor. But it didn't.
Again,

(1) "Power" is more than raw home run totals.

Rougned Odor's SLG % improved 48 points from year to year 2. It improved 74 points from year 2 to year 3.
Rougned Odor his 9 doubles, then 23 doubles, then 41 doubles in his first three years in the minor leagues.

(2) You've tricked yourself into arguing Rougned Odor's power didn't improve the first 4 or so years of his professional career because you have an insatiable desire to be the smartest, cleverest man in the room. Its quite amazing.
Grapesoda2525
TheAngelFlight said:

Quote:

And I provided the necessary support to show how dumb it was. If the author said "That happens with most players," then fine. I would accept that.

The author tries to take a 24 years old rookie, who has improved his power through the minors and says the same thing happened with Odor. But it didn't.
Again,

(1) "Power" is more than raw home run totals.

Rougned Odor's SLG % improved 48 points from year to year 2. It improved 74 points from year 2 to year 3.
Rougned Odor his 9 doubles, then 23 doubles, then 41 doubles in his first three years in the minor leagues.

(2) You've tricked yourself into arguing Rougned Odor's power didn't improve the first 4 or so years of his professional career because you have an insatiable desire to be the smartest, cleverest man in the room. Its quite amazing.
The funny thing is he will never be the smartest guy in the room when he's defending odor. The rangers would be smart to move on from him and start fresh, but they don't have the balls. Odor is supposedly going to be this great rangers leader someday or at least that's what the broadcast kept telling us!
Schall 02
AG
Paid my respects to TBIA today. It would've been more solemn if Texas Live! wasn't so awesome.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
TheAngelFlight
Come on, friend, don't be a dunce

I've already said this:
Quote:

That said, "power" is much more than raw home run totals. Odor's minor league SLG% went .352.400.474.450.639 his first 5 years, albeit with different sample sizes.

And if you want to talk about the "context" of the article, here is how the article defined power:

Quote:

hit for power (.491 slugging percentage).
South Platte
You know your team is garbage when we spend the first two weeks of the off-season arguing about Odor.

Better question: What do we have to pay Mike Maddux to get him back to Texas? I don't care about a $175MM payroll. Oakland and Tampa didn't do anything remotely close to that and outperformed us by 20 games.

Let's use some of that and bring back Maddux.
KT 90
AG
South Platte said:

You know your team is garbage when we spend the first two weeks of the off-season arguing about Odor.

Better question: What do we have to pay Mike Maddux to get him back to Texas? I don't care about a $175MM payroll. Oakland and Tampa didn't do anything remotely close to that and outperformed us by 20 games.

Let's use some of that and bring back Maddux.

What we really need to do is figure out who is doing the draft grades for Tampa and how they evaluate pitchers. They seem to produce plenty of them. We need to hire that person away or hire their assistant.

PatAg
AG
I wish they had made more of an effort to make it look/feel like The Ballpark.
wbt5845
AG

DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
I didn't mean just their current pitchers, but also the ones that they drafted and later traded/flipped for prospects. that is their general philosophy, traded before you have to pay them big money. Here are a few, there are probably more: David Price, James Shields, Jeremy Hellickson, Chris Archer, even Matt Moore had a good run. On the Rangers current roster Brock Burke and Taylor guerrieri were both drafted by Tampa.

KT 90
AG
Anybody seen much on the recent proposal to reduce the number of minor league teams, and also reduce the number of rounds in the MLB draft? I saw this article today, but need to find more info on this. Not sure what to really think of they yet.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/18/mlb-minor-league-system-changes-proposal

Cappo
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.