***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,627 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trade Choo for a bag of Doritos, to free up some money for Rendon or deal Mazara for a decent prospect. Stick Calhoun at DH and Santana in OF and call it good.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG

DeangeloVickers
AG
I sure would like to get Kris Bryant over Rendon's contract
Dont get me wrong I love Rendon....but dang thats a lot of money
KT 90
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't really get the allure of the Bryant deal. He's not going to actually be on the block until Rendon and Donaldson are gone. The price isn't going to be cheap and then your trading away what little you have to get a guy for two years when you're really just competing for the Wild Card, if things shake out favorably. Then once those two years are up he's gonna want a massive contract as well if you can get him back. If you can get Rendon now that seems like the no brainer and have him for the fringe seasons and then hopefully as the center piece of a serious run in a few years.
DallasAg 94
94chem
KT 90 said:

Mazara can hit a ball over 500 feet. That kind of batspeed is hard to find. Maz could be a 500 HR guy. Hard to project, though.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Unless you're just never going to have any marquis free agents they'll have to figure it out with Gallo.

The only way you're gonna get away with not having money tied up like that is by constantly developing your own talent which won't happen if you trade it away for a high priced player when your chances of winning it all are extremely low.

I don't hate a trade for him, but it seems like the kind of trade you make at the deadline when you think you're gonna make a run as opposed to one in the winter of a season where your realistic ceiling is competing for the wild card.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG

This honestly surprises me a little though I guess they've seen they don't need him to win.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Very true. He did miss 50 games from a "massage" gone wrong.
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

Very true. He did miss 50 games from a "massage" gone wrong.
He's a candy ass.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yankees get Cole.

9/$324
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nomar to the Sox.
Aggie_3
That Cole deal is holy **** crazy
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Nomar to the Sox.

I wonder what we're getting. Prospects, pitching? The White Sox site says the Rangers are interested in pitching prospects and minor league OF Steele Walker.

Edit: Walker is a left-handed bat. Not sure the Rangers make that trade. May be for pitching.
Aggie_3
I'm seeing a lot in Twitter comments that we for sure are getting walker
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Aggie_3 said:

That's what MLBTR is saying.
Aggie_3
Ranger #007 said:

Aggie_3 said:

That's what MLBTR is saying.

Kind of a lackluster deal unless we are getting something else as well
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
It certainly is a head-scratcher.
gigem1223
Not lackluster at all considering Mazara is a below average OF. Rangers won this trade.
gigem1223
Plus who doesn't want a guy named Steele? Or Walker Texas Ranger.
Aggie_3
gigem1223 said:

Not lackluster at all considering Mazara is a below average OF. Rangers won this trade.

We don't need another outfielder we need pitching prospects
jtstanley4621
AG
So now you'll have one of Choo or Calhoun playing LF and being the DH. Honestly going to be interested to see what Calhoun can do with a full year of regular playing time.
gigem1223
Sounds like the angels are fixing to way overpay for Rendon. I think Castellanos is our guy. If he produces like he did last year with the cubs (albeit only 51 games) he'll be great value.
Aggie_3
gigem1223 said:

Sounds like the angels are fixing to way overpay for Rendon. I think Castellanos is our guy. If he produces like he did last year with the cubs (albeit only 51 games) he'll be great value.

I doubt the angels outbid us
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
From MLB AtBat: CWS #6 prospect.

Quote:

The White Sox got the best college hitter in the 2018 Draft when they took Nick Madrigal with the fourth overall choice, and they may have gotten the second-best when Walker was unexpectedly available in the second round. He improved throughout his college career at Oklahoma, where he played alongside Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray in the outfield. Though he looked tired and struggled with his rhythm at the plate after signing for an over-slot $2 million, he has a track record of performing well with wood bats, leading the Northwoods League in hitting (.406) in 2016 and topping the the U.S. collegiate national team's regulars in OPS (.931) the next summer.

Walker has better hand-eye coordination and pitch recognition than most hitters, and he uses a controlled approach to drill line drives to all fields. While he's not big, his quick left-handed bat, deceptive strength and hitting prowess should give him at least average power. He also should post high on-base percentages as he continues to refine his plate discipline.

Walker's bat is his lone above-average tool, but his instincts help him play above his physical ability and his all-around game earns him some Mark Kotsay comparisons. Despite average speed and fringy arm strength, he proved capable of playing both center and right field for the Sooners. Chicago loves his makeup and thinks he can develop into a solid center fielder with more instruction.

He is a local product from Prosper. Looks like he has a good bat and lots of potential. Maybe hedging as he's projected to be ready in 2021. We could also be using him as trade bait. The Rangers have been rebuilding their farm system and this is a good way to build it.
hawk1689
AG
Not a big fan of this one. Mazara's floor is what you hope most prospects turn into. I think he's going to be a 40 HR guy here real soon. Too many people think he's a bad outfielder because some guys math equation says so.
PatAg
AG
hawk1689 said:

Not a big fan of this one. Mazara's floor is what you hope most prospects turn into. I think he's going to be a 40 HR guy here real soon. Too many people think he's a bad outfielder because some guys math equation says so.
He is never going to be more than what he is right now. A mediocre outfielder who can hit it a ton.
KT 90
AG
Bit of a head scratcher, but maybe the options for Mazara were just that limited. Pretty much had to trade him to an AL team to give him the dh option. Maybe he can play 1B.

We already have Taveras, Martinez, and Thompson in the minor league CF pipeline , so Walker will add to that. One of those may be getting moved in a trade?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.