***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,869 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Reid Ryan only got the job because of his dad.

But by all accounts, he was still good at the job

By all accounts, the Astros are regarded as a very smart and well run organization in mlb. Reid Ryan had lots of help around him, it's not like they threw him into the deep end and he flourished.

That doesn't mean that he wasn't good at his job. Nor does being a butt to the Rangers a few years ago mean he wasn't good at his job.

But it's whatever. I'm not sure anything will change in a way that's so obvious to be detectable by fans.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He apparently wasnt quite good enough at his job.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I can't fathom we get Cole without overpaying by a good deal and would probably need to show we're gonna grab at least Donaldson.
Grapesoda2525
This offseason has to be different than the last few if we're ever going to start to turn this around.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Cowboys seem to be the only franchise in town capable of luring the big free agents (and their philosophy has changed to where they haven't been doing it for years), so we'll see if the new stadium has an impact. Not holding my breath. This may be just setup for "well, we tried, but the market was too rich so here is the bargain bin options that make more sense". But I'm hopeful.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The Cowboys seem to be the only franchise in town capable of luring the big free agents, so we'll see if the new stadium has an impact. Not holding my breath. This may be just setup for "well, we tried, but the market was too rich so here is the bargain bin options that make more sense"

I know AP has been told otherwise but it's hard to believe you're not right until they do it. It'd be nice to have something to be excited about going into next season.
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

The Cowboys seem to be the only franchise in town capable of luring the big free agents, so we'll see if the new stadium has an impact. Not holding my breath. This may be just setup for "well, we tried, but the market was too rich so here is the bargain bin options that make more sense"

I know AP has been told otherwise but it's hard to believe you're not right until they do it. It'd be nice to have something to be excited about going into next season.
I'd even get excited over a Donaldson or moustakas pickup. 3rd base was a disaster last year. We need something competent over there until Jung is hopefully ready to take over.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
For almost 20 years, the blue chip acquisitions the Mavs and Rangers have both made were done via trade, not FA. For the Mavs, make it 40 years.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

If the Nationals don't retain Rendon, they will sign Donaldson. Pretty simple. For Donaldson, go sign with the reigning World Series Champs where you replace one of the best FAs on a team that will continue to compete, or go to the Rangers where there are lots of question marks.
This is why I am thinking we target Moustakas. He'd be an upgrade that won't break the bank (to the extent of Donaldson/Rendon would) and would likely be more willing to come here. Rendon might be willing to come here since he already has a title, but he will want a boatload of money for 6+ years and I don't think we bite on that one.

DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like I said, 20 years. Yu was via bid. He had to come here. That was not FA. Any list you have to put Kenny Rogers on twice pretty much proves you don't have much of a list.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
I will give you Beltre, although signing a guy after you just played in the World Series a couple of months before is certainly a different dynamic/sell story. So that's one in 20 years and comes with an asterisk.
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers
AG
C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Allard
Sampson
Burke

Grapesoda2525
DeangeloVickers said:

C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Allard
Sampson
Burke

Poopy
Grapesoda2525
Well...... more bad stuff has come to light. It has definitely been an Astros centric offseason in MLB folks. The Astros have been the center of attention for awhile and all of pretty much has been negative.

- watching Nolan Ryan permanently disassociate himself from their organization.

- today's news that Mike Fiers and other reputable sources are all confirming that the Astros 100% cheated their way to their only World Series. This whole postseason has almost made up for our 2011 Series loss. Almost.

And let me say that, in a vacuum, I have zero problems with Houston or its people. It's just that, as a Dallas sports fan, I along with every other DFW fan has had to put up with that city's little sister syndrome for far too long. In general, Rangers/Cowboys/Mavericks fans don't care about Houston teams. Ask a Rangers fan, at least prior to the Houston shenanigans, who their most hated team was, and you'd likely hear Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, or A's. Ask any Mavs fan who their biggest rival is... easy, Spurs. And every Cowboys fan will answer Redskins or perhaps Eagles or Giants. On the surface, we just don't care about Houston even having teams. And I think the fact that we have bigger fish to fry has always eaten at Houstonians, knowing they will never be important to anyone. And so for YEARS we have had to endure obnoxious Houstonians on Dallas sports message boards and in Dallas sports bars talking trash about DFW teams and Dallas in general. So this offseason has been SWEET for them to finally get their comeuppance. I mean it when I say that Brandon Taubman can die homeless and penniless, for all I care. And Reid Ryan can go jump off a cliff. Boo hoo, you got demoted. He's the jerk who dragged JD and the Rangers through the mud and tried to paint us as the uncaring bad guys right after the hurricane when we wouldn't agree to his EXACT terms for playing the make-up game. I know plenty of TCU grads who knew him all too well, and let's just say that never living up to daddy's accomplishments turned him into a real piece of work. So he's actually a perfect fit for Luhnow's gang, whether he's demoted or not.

The Astros literally make the patriots look clean. What a trashy organization.
Grapesoda2525

Looks very suspicious.
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22
AG
Thought this was interesting. Shame we couldn't put together a better season for these guys

Grapesoda2525
Biggest problem is infield position players.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

I don't have a problem with this.

We have a pretty good manager and we were doing better than expected until the front office pulled the plug and shopped everyone before the trade deadline. Let's try to win some games, I know we still can't catch the cheaters tho.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
LHP Will Smith to the Braves, 3 years, $39M. At least we have an early start to the free agent signings this season . Hopefully it won't drag and drag like last year.

Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

100% disagree. Surprise.

5th SP
4th SP
Closer
CF
RP/8TH Inning guy
RF
1B
RP
C
3rd SP
3B
RP
RP

Let's start there.

For 2020... 3rd SP, 3B, OF, 1B, 4th SP.

If we are going after multiple SP... Odorizzi would be nice, if we could go 3yr/$20M per

Not up for Donaldson if he goes 3/4 yrs @ $25M per.

If we have $50M, and JD plans to get 2 SP... and a 3B... we have blown our war.

Add Gallo to the lineup, and we are pretty Salty, IMO.

Our OF will suck with Gallo, Mazara, Choo, DD, and Calhoun. Santana would be a plus in OF, but better for IF.

If we get 2 SP... then JD trades for one. It also indicates little confidence in the 5 or so guys we are hipeful... Jurado, Burke, Sampson, Allard, Palumbo.

I'm expecting 2 of those in the rotation. Allard, and one other.

How is our infield not the biggest issue?

3rd base - nothing there

Ss- franchise cornerstone who gets hurt every single year

2nd base - biggest underachiever in baseball

1st base - condor? He better freaking hit this year

Catcher- Mathis / Trevino ?

Doesn't look good to me.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

LHP Will Smith to the Braves, 3 years, $39M. At least we have an early start to the free agent signings this season . Hopefully it won't drag and drag like last year.

Would be nice if that meant Chris Martin back to the rangers.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

100% disagree. Surprise.

5th SP
4th SP
Closer
CF
RP/8TH Inning guy
RF
1B
RP
C
3rd SP
3B
RP
RP

Let's start there.

For 2020... 3rd SP, 3B, OF, 1B, 4th SP.

If we are going after multiple SP... Odorizzi would be nice, if we could go 3yr/$20M per

Not up for Donaldson if he goes 3/4 yrs @ $25M per.

If we have $50M, and JD plans to get 2 SP... and a 3B... we have blown our war.

Add Gallo to the lineup, and we are pretty Salty, IMO.

Our OF will suck with Gallo, Mazara, Choo, DD, and Calhoun. Santana would be a plus in OF, but better for IF.

If we get 2 SP... then JD trades for one. It also indicates little confidence in the 5 or so guys we are hipeful... Jurado, Burke, Sampson, Allard, Palumbo.

I'm expecting 2 of those in the rotation. Allard, and one other.

How is our infield not the biggest issue?

3rd base - nothing there

Ss- franchise cornerstone who gets hurt every single year

2nd base - biggest underachiever in baseball

1st base - condor? He better freaking hit this year

Catcher- Mathis / Trevino ?

Doesn't look good to me.
Are those issues? Sure, but is the margin of improvement small (yes) or great (no). Give me 2 SPs that fill the #4 and #5 spots, which would become the #3 and #4, and let's call it a day.

Give me a bullpen that can get people out, and we're even better. Improve on Andrus or Odor and it will be marginal, at best. Condor, Mathis, Trevino? Sure, but Condor and Trevino have more upside that Sampson and Jurado... or Burke... or Palumbo.
I have never seen condor hit with any consistency whatsoever at the major league level. I have more confidence in trevinos bat than condors and that's saying something,
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I have never seen condor hit with any consistency whatsoever at the major league level. I have more confidence in trevinos bat than condors and that's saying something,
Guzman: Oct 20, 1994 (25.025d) - 210 G, .229, 26 HR, .307 OBP, .416 SLG
Trevino: Nov 28, 1992 (26.351 d) - 43 G, .258, 2 HR, .271 OBP, .375 SLG

So, despite being 1yr & 11 Mon older than Guzman, and showing little power or OBP... you have more confidence in Trevino?

Donaldson was 24.143d when he made his MBL debut. He was 26 in his 1st full season and went .241, 9HR in 75 G. The next season at 27... he went 158G, .301, 24 HR.

Guzman has hit:

AAA: .292, 18 HR in 185 G
AA: .285, 16 HR in 106 G

Trevino has hit:
AAA: .226, 2 HR in 40 G
AA: .239, 10 HR in 151 G

Trevino is your guy? Your IF would be:
FA @1B
Santana @2B
FA @ SS
Solak @3B
Trevino/FA @ C
Calhoun in LF
Gallo in CF
Mazara in RF
Not a good comparison or a fair one. The vast majority of mlb catchers can't hit. You know that.

If you want to be fair, compare condors hitting to a mid grade mlb first baseman's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.