***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,899 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mazara has never been so much as a 1 win player or had a wrc+ of 100...if they were dead set on moving him then this return is not surprising IMO.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Sounds like the angels are fixing to way overpay for Rendon. I think Castellanos is our guy. If he produces like he did last year with the cubs (albeit only 51 games) he'll be great value.
Are the angels ******ed?

They need starting pitching..... very badly.
hawk1689
AG
You're right. Players never seem to hit more home runs as they age into their upper 20's.
AggieDPT
AG
Given what Maz has accomplished and shown, this deal isn't surprising. Yes he's relatively young and maybe he turns into Nelson Cruz, but maybe his stats end up as a AAAA player.

At this point, you can't trade Calhoun or Choo so it had to be Mazara and teams know that.
TV Casualty
AG
PatAg said:

hawk1689 said:

Not a big fan of this one. Mazara's floor is what you hope most prospects turn into. I think he's going to be a 40 HR guy here real soon. Too many people think he's a bad outfielder because some guys math equation says so.
He is never going to be more than what he is right now. A mediocre outfielder who can hit it a ton.

Mazara can certainly improve as he is still young. I doubt that Walker ever makes it to the big leagues.

This trade was a player dump at his lowest value.
cmiller00
AG
Athletic had an article this morning basically saying Rangers thought he is who he is going to be. Said that while he was good about preparing game to game, watching film and taking coaching based on the situation and the pitcher he wasn't good at preparing for the season. Basically he wasn't going to change the approach that got him to the big leagues at 20.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
TV Casualty said:

PatAg said:

hawk1689 said:

Not a big fan of this one. Mazara's floor is what you hope most prospects turn into. I think he's going to be a 40 HR guy here real soon. Too many people think he's a bad outfielder because some guys math equation says so.
He is never going to be more than what he is right now. A mediocre outfielder who can hit it a ton.

Mazara can certainly improve as he is still young. I doubt that Walker ever makes it to the big leagues.

So a 2nd round pick from last year, who was a top 10 prospect in a top 5 farm system won't ever make the big leagues? Why do you say that?
TV Casualty
AG
gigem1223 said:

TV Casualty said:

PatAg said:

hawk1689 said:

So a 2nd round pick from last year, who was a top 10 prospect in a top 5 farm system won't ever make the big leagues? Why do you say that?

Perhaps it's more appropriate to say that he will likely never play for the Rangers. Seems like a lotto ticket type prospect.

I guess we will see if he can move up to AA ball and how he handles that. It doesn't seem like he will be a plus defender or even that great with the bat. Sounds like a guy whose ceiling is solid major leaguer or 4th outfielder.

If we can flip him in a trade there could be value there.
Carlo4
AG
I wanted to dump Choo and keep Calhoun/Mazara. I'm guessing something big is in the works to basically get rid of a guy with that much big league experience for someone on year younger that hasn't made it yet.

DallasAg 94
Carlo4
AG
Its a good start for sure. I'm hoping they make a few more big splashes.
South Platte
BREAKING:

Astros agree to a contract extension with a trash can. Jeff Luhnow: "We feel he has been an integral part of the success in our organization. As we worked through this process, it became apparent that mutual interest was confirmed. We are happy that the trash will spend this rest of his career in Houston." Terms were not disclosed.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonywitrado/2019/12/11/dont-expect-anthony-rendon-or-madison-bumgarner-to-be-dodgers-plan-b/#59f5c37f5a47

That's an interesting perspective.

Of course there are also reports that the Nationals are players for Rendon as well as the Angels for whatever reason.
AustinCountyAg
we prefer metal trash cans. they are louder
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonywitrado/2019/12/11/dont-expect-anthony-rendon-or-madison-bumgarner-to-be-dodgers-plan-b/#59f5c37f5a47

That's an interesting perspective.

Of course there are also reports that the Nationals are players for Rendon as well as the Angels for whatever reason.

Good read. I agree that Bumgardner is a big risk if he gets $100M+. He's still a good pitcher, but not the same as he was during the Giants World Series runs. That's a big ask for $20+ per year guaranteed for someone entering their age 30 year old season and already showing regression the past few seasons.

Aggie_3
I'm wondering when we will hear something on Rendon?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It sure seems like Boras is trying to get as many teams to the table as possible. I almost wonder if he's not the one pumping this Nationals talk and, given that article, maybe the Dodgers talk too. Donaldson doesn't seem likely to sign until Rendon is off the board so there's nobody to piggy back on for a higher value.
Mr Gigem
AG
I don't buy that the Angels are actually in the running. They are desperate for pitching. There name is in the hat just to drive up the price.

Though it would be a very Angels move to overpay for Rendon and then not sign any big pitchers just to have yet another disappointing season. I feel so bad for Trout. What a waste of talent for him to be on that team.

The Angels should be the team gunning for Donaldson and Mad Bum
Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

I don't buy that the Angels are actually in the running. They are desperate for pitching. There name is in the hat just to drive up the price.

Though it would be a very Angels move to overpay for Rendon and then not sign any big pitchers just to have yet another disappointing season. I feel so bad for Trout. What a waste of talent for him to be on that team.

Arte Moreno has a strange obsession with the rangers.

Remember after the 2011 season ( right year?) he signed both josh Hamilton and CJ Wilson at the same time to try and stick it to us,

I wouldn't put it past him to sign rendon just to keep him away from us. Old Arte should be worrying about the Astros or the Oakland A's tho. Could he have been in a coma for the last 8 years? Maybe he's the only one who still thinks we're good.
Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

I don't think the angels and nationals are serious contenders. It probably comes down to us and the dodgers, but the dodgers biggest need has to be pitching.
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

PDEMDHC said:

I wanted to dump Choo and keep Calhoun/Mazara. I'm guessing something big is in the works to basically get rid of a guy with that much big league experience for someone on year younger that hasn't made it yet.

If the Rangers are looking at Chirinos, and have an allocation of funds (meaning budget to get 3B, etc)... re-allocation of the money for Mazara could be used to sign Chirinos.

Improves C, and removes a build up of LH DH types.
Chirinos is old. Maybe he is the pet catcher for somebody, but beyond that, he shouldn't catch much.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Tweeted 20 minutes ago. Hopefully some good news soon.

Carlo4
AG
Must be nice to be in a world where you brush off $30 MM a year for 7 years to play for a WS contender.
South Platte
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

More than $30M for 7 years for this guy? A one-time All-Star? No, I didn't watch the Nats during the season. Yes, I watched essentially all of their playoff games.

Let's drive the price up and let him go to LAA. Jung will be fine. Spend the $ on pitching when we can.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

A one-time All-Star?
I mean, he's a one-time All Star but has also finished in the top 6 of MVP voting 3 of the last 6 seasons, was 11th an additional season, and has two silver sluggers.

He's had a very nice career and should continue to have a very nice career.

I did say earlier I wouldn't expect him to put up 2019 numbers, but he's a darn good player.

I'm sure he'll get overpaid, but that's baseball. Everyone is getting "overpaid."
investorAg83
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Must be nice to be in a world where you brush off $30 MM a year for 7 years to play for a WS contender.
He balked at deferrals...which fits with the narrative we've been hearing that he was the most money with the least years. He's not about deferring his payday.

The more I read, the more optimistic I get about seeing him in Ranger Red.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
South Platte said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

More than $30M for 7 years for this guy? A one-time All-Star? No, I didn't watch the Nats during the season. Yes, I watched essentially all of their playoff games.

Let's drive the price up and let him go to LAA. Jung will be fine. Spend the $ on pitching when we can.

The thing he does that I like is that he plays old school baseball. Got a guy on secon or third and need to score him? Rendon will slap a single to get him home, not swing for the fences. 2 strikes? Choke up and try to make contact for a hit. He's an excellent situational hitter with a good glove at 3rd. The Rangers need that in their lineup every day.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

South Platte said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The thing he does that I like is that he plays old school baseball. Got a guy on secon or third and need to score him? Rendon will slap a single to get him home, not swing for the fences. 2 strikes? Choke up and try to make contact for a hit. He's an excellent situational hitter with a good glove at 3rd. The Rangers need that in their lineup every day.
Exactly......

We need baseball players. Most guys on our team play hero ball. We've gotta be the worst team ever at getting runners home from 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Getting rendon will help woodward squash that crap and change our style even faster.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Sounds like we're the favorites no?

Dodgers were thought to be main competition a day or two ago.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I want a guy like that not only for his own approach, but how that could rub off on other young players. Totally worth it. Pay the man.
Mr Gigem
AG
IHIOGA Rendon will be a Ranger in the next few days
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AccidentProne said:

IHIOGA Rendon will be a Ranger in the next few days
Don't toy with my emotions.
Carlo4
AG
So totally random question. Are single game tickets available? Looking to get 4 for a series in April. Looks like season and partials are available at this point.

Carlo4
AG
investorAg83 said:

PDEMDHC said:

He balked at deferrals...which fits with the narrative we've been hearing that he was the most money with the least years. He's not about deferring his payday.

The more I read, the more optimistic I get about seeing him in Ranger Red.
I completely agree with you. I'd be excited to have him... just wish I lived in a world where I was being courted like this!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.