***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

263,685 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie_3
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You've wandered into the wrong thread. But thanks for keeping an eye on things. Signed, the club that is always in your head
bigcat22
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
wbt5845
AG
In today's FWST, Chirinos recalls Astros using the trash beating for fast ball / off speed pitches in 2017. I don't have a link cause I still get the real newspaper.
DeangeloVickers
AG
This is brilliant
KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

This is brilliant

Wow... lol
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

This is brilliant

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen
Mr Gigem
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
Here is a good breakdown of Bauer and Astros

Pretty interesting
https://calltothepen.com/2020/01/14/cincinnati-reds-trevor-bauer-revisits-feuds-astros-players/
https://calltothepen.com/2020/01/11/cincinnati-reds-destinations-for-nick-senzel/

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, there have been rumors of substances to help spin rate going back a couple of years. Which in light of the sign stealing, you have to lend some credence to.
wbt5845
AG
Good little analysis of Odor's stats over the course of his career.

DallasAg 94
Rossko
AG
Looks like the powder blue coming back is a trend...

Quincey P. Morris
AG
So since powder blues are typically a road uniform, do we have a game this year where both teams wear powder blues?
PatAg
AG
So how are we, as fans, going to simulate banging trash cans in our first home series against the Astros?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
Looks like Arenado is gonna be available at the break. That's my read.

Jeff Bridich and Nolan Arenado break their silences on the trade rumors - Purple Row
https://www.purplerow.com/2020/1/20/21074777/colorado-rockies-jeff-bridich-and-nolan-arenado-trade-break-silences
wbt5845
AG
So - are we willing to give up Jung and more for Arenado? I love Jung, but Arenado is the real thing and is under contract for - 7 more years?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My concern with giving up Jung as part of an Arenado deal is that damned opt out he has. That makes giving up a third base prospect that would likely be ready then for a guy who could leave a lot less palatable. I'm not sure I would say don't do it, but it's definitely a concern and I'd think would require the team to draft a third baseman this year.
DallasAg 94
Ervin Burrell
AG
Would Frazier just slide over to first if we somehow landed Arenado?
KT 90
AG
We would (hopefully) get Arenado to waive the opt out before unloading and quality prospects and also agreeing to take on his salary. But he may want something in return for waiving it. Otherwise, teams aren't going to give as much if they may lose him in a couple years. If he wants out of colorado badly enough, he may waive it. But he also has a no trade clause as well, I believe. So I think he has to agree to be dealt as well. Lot of moving parts here.

KT 90
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Would Frazier just slide over to first if we somehow landed Arenado?

I believe that's the plan. He can play either corner infield spot.

KT 90
AG
and part of me is scratching my heading wondering if we are willing to take on Arenado's contract (and whatever we have to trade to get him), why didn't we just kick in and extra years and a few extra bucks to get Rendon? He would've just cost a draft pick.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Arenado is a younger, more proven commodity. He is entering his age 28 season whereas Rendon is entering his age 30 season. He has 7 Gold Gloves in 7 seasons and 5 All-Star appearances. Rendon doesn't have that resume. I think Rendon is a better situational and all around hitter but I think I would give away the farm for Arenado IF he would waive his opt out in 2021.

I'd give up Jung, Huff, some young pitching and maybe Calhoun if they want an MLB ready player. That still may not be enough. I might even renegotiate annual salary (minimally) to buy the opt out. I think he is a guy you build a team around.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd guess because Arenado is two years younger and seems to have the edge in most categories. He's also been an All-Star, Golden Glove, and Silver Slugger winner for the last five years while being in the same league. Rendon was an All-Star last year and won the SS last year and in 2014.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
I did not realize he is two years younger, that makes a big difference.
KT 90
AG
In regards to Jung, I remember reading that some scouts may value Apostel a little more than Jung. Jung has progressed fairly quickly, but I don't think he has maintained his power. Some think Apostel will have more pop, which being in the mile high elevation might make him more appealing to Colorado.

Who knows, both seem to be progressing well. One of the two will be traded, if we ever pull this off.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Maybe we can get AP to talk JD into taking some PTO and we can get this trade done ASAP.
Proposition Joe
There's not many realistic scenarios in which he waives his opt out.

Waiving an opt-out to fast-track a trade from one team just to go to another team where you'd then be locked in for 7 years doesn't make a lot of sense.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I agree. The only way I see that happening is if the Rangers paid him more money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.