BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

679,780 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
OnlyANobody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Signage is up at the Boonville/Briarcrest Exxon (where Stover Bros/Boys started) for a Taqueria Poblana.

Facebook Page
PS3D
KidDoc said:

The Jack in the Box location by Kroger on Rock Prairie had workers nailing plywood over the windows then painting them a stucco/beige color.

Anyone have any info?

Sounds like that JIBX is closing for good. That's too bad.
jja79
AG
Or remodeling.
tvoiles
Gander Mountain building is up for sale ($8MM), guess that means it is not re-opening?
Prescient
nashvilleaggie11 said:

West End Elixir coming to South College Station
Not a fan of the hipster look the have, but like their drinks. Hope they have parking!
UglyScientist
I feel like I'm the only one not super impressed by this place. Granted, I only tried two drinks, but they weren't anything that great to me. One of them I ordered twice the night I went and the second one tasted almost completely different from the first. The one food item I had was good though.
Tailgate88
AG
Prescient said:

nashvilleaggie11 said:

West End Elixir coming to South College Station
Not a fan of the hipster look the have, but like their drinks. Hope they have parking!

You must not like eating at Freebirds either.
jja79
AG
Does Freebirds require a minimum number of tattoos, piercings and gauges to qualify for employment? If you're wearing a wool sock cap when it's 100 degrees does that mean you're a manager?
DBSwooper
jja79 said:

Does Freebirds require a minimum number of tattoos, piercings and gauges to qualify for employment? If you're wearing a wool sock cap when it's 100 degrees does that mean you're a manager?
They used to before the company sold and the food quality and taste went to hell!

FlyRod
I'm sure the veterans who run and staff that place would love to know they are thought of as hipsters...
FILO505
AG
I'm sure the veterans wouldn't care, considering they staff that place
BCStalk
I don't find the West End as a hipster place. The higher prices keep most of that out. Between them and Rough Draught, the wife and I are covered on drink spots.
toolshed
AG
It looks like the Pizza Hut on University is either closed or being remodeled. I noticed all the signage is gone yesterday evening and I vaguely recall a moving van or truck backed up to the door one morning last week. If it is closed, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with little to no improvements to the facility over the last 23 years I've been in town.
FlyRod
Sign up for "Abu Omar's Shawarma" coming to Boyett and University. Presumably replacing the Shawarma King truck.

Apparently this is the truck. Menu looks fantastic.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/abu-omar-halal-houston
rocketscience
AG
Saw a mobile food vendor permit was issued for something called "The Beef and Reef"
Captn_Ag05
AG
Altitude opened today.
PS3D
toolshed said:

It looks like the Pizza Hut on University is either closed or being remodeled. I noticed all the signage is gone yesterday evening and I vaguely recall a moving van or truck backed up to the door one morning last week. If it is closed, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with little to no improvements to the facility over the last 23 years I've been in town.
I saw that today. It was definitely a surprise to me. That leaves only that little walk-up north of Rock Prairie Road, doesn't it, as far as College Station goes?

Maybe they'll at least let the parking lot be used for Fuego before it gets redeveloped.
Kitten With A Whip
toolshed said:

Not surprising considering that they close at 10 pm on weeknights and 11 on weekends AND stop taking orders 30 prior to closing. IMO, no pizza joint located that close to campus, that delivers should be closing before midnight/1 am, especially on weekends.
Kitten With A Whip
PS3D said:

toolshed said:

I saw that today. It was definitely a surprise to me. That leaves only that little walk-up north of Rock Prairie Road, doesn't it, as far as College Station goes?

Maybe they'll at least let the parking lot be used for Fuego before it gets redeveloped.
There used to be a Pizza Hut Delivery in that little retail strip at Holleman and Anderson. Not sure if it's still open.Was a Dominoes there, too.
95_Aggie
AG
I'm surprised there are any sit down Pizza Huts still around. Doesn't everyone just get Pizza Hut delivered?
FlyRod
I'm surprised Pizza Hut has survived the onslaught of new pizza places popping up everywhere.
Dennis Reynolds
FlyRod said:

I'm surprised Pizza Hut has survived the onslaught of new pizza places popping up everywhere.
Not delivering to some neighborhoods in south College Station anymore can't be helping them.
kraut
AG
PS3D said:

jac4 said:

Not sure if this appeared earlier, but I heard Neighbor's ED is closing.

Wow! First tenant of Century Square and it's already gone. Ah well, would rather see something better there anyway. Speaking of Century Square, Tiff's Treats is opening 8/26 [https://www.cookiedelivery.com/Company/About/New-Store-Openings.aspx].

Are the leases at Century Square going to increase in cost? From KBTX yesterday: linky

Quote:

The Conference Center Hotel is one of several public-private partnerships coming online, including the retail-hotel-apartment complex Century Square that will add up to $300 million of taxable property to the tax rolls when completed. The land where Century Square is being built was tax-exempt because it was home to married student housing.

"For the first time in history, Texas A&M is putting property on the tax rolls instead of taking it off," said Judge Peters. "Under the law there are ways Texas A&M could have kept Century Square off the tax rolls but chose not to. Never before has the A&M System been so community-minded."
FlyRod
Trust!
Cyp0111
I imagine the developers/University will require significant road upgrades etc all.
ellipsiscricket
Anyone think we have a chance of getting a Dirt Cheap here? Waco has one, and now there's one in Spring (if I recall correctly). B/CS is a good market for this. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy them.
PS3D
kraut said:

PS3D said:

jac4 said:

Wow! First tenant of Century Square and it's already gone. Ah well, would rather see something better there anyway. Speaking of Century Square, Tiff's Treats is opening 8/26 [https://www.cookiedelivery.com/Company/About/New-Store-Openings.aspx].

Are the leases at Century Square going to increase in cost? From KBTX yesterday: linky

Quote:

The Conference Center Hotel is one of several public-private partnerships coming online, including the retail-hotel-apartment complex Century Square that will add up to $300 million of taxable property to the tax rolls when completed. The land where Century Square is being built was tax-exempt because it was home to married student housing.

"For the first time in history, Texas A&M is putting property on the tax rolls instead of taking it off," said Judge Peters. "Under the law there are ways Texas A&M could have kept Century Square off the tax rolls but chose not to. Never before has the A&M System been so community-minded."

Century Square already pays taxes, it was tax-exempt when it was married student housing, and that ended when they were wrecked and construction begins. They're referring to the new A&M hotel paying taxes, and using Century Square as an example as to when they already did that, with the present tense of being built because it's not finished out yet.
kraut
AG
PS3D said:

kraut said:

PS3D said:

jac4 said:

Quote:

Century Square already pays taxes, it was tax-exempt when it was married student housing, and that ended when they were wrecked and construction begins. They're referring to the new A&M hotel paying taxes, and using Century Square as an example as to when they already did that, with the present tense of being built because it's not finished out yet.
That makes sense - I read that article and mistakenly thought, "Holy crap, that's a lot of property taxes Midway wasn't planning on paying! Guess that cost will get embedded into the leases."

And like Judge Peters said, first time in history that A&M left some of their property on the tax rolls.
95_Aggie
AG
all taxes get passed on to the consumer
bonfiresmoke
posc2014 said:

Good Evening,

LoyalAg and I are friends and he mentioned that you inquired about the store via TexAgs. We do have a Padron account and plan to carry Padron 1964 and 1926 at this store. I recently spoke to the Fuente rep and should be receiving a small selection of OpusX. I cannot remember when these will ship, but it should be early fall. We plan to carry a different selection at Hideaway Humidor than we do at Cavalier Cigar Company, in order to give our customers a larger selection to choose from. Over the next two weeks I will be ordering product to stock Hideaway Humidor with. If there is anything particular which you or anyone else would like us to stock, please feel free to shoot me an email and I will do my best to get it on the shelf at Hideaway.

We are currently planning on opening in about two weeks and have a grand opening party planned for Friday, September 8th I would love for you to attend if you are available.

Regards,

Colton Rawls
Owner
Cavalier Cigar Co. & Hideaway Humidor
colton@cavaliercigar.com
I for one am happy to see you in South College Station. With Padron and Fuente you have a good portion of my selections. I hope you will be able to get in some Fuente Anejo and Diamond Crown Maximus as well. I know the Anejo are a limited quantity each year, but they are a great smoke.

My screen name actually resulted from the tradition of lighting a cigar from Bonfire. See you on the 8th.
K2T2
A Spec's sign is up in the Michael's/PetSmart shopping center
FlyRod
Nice. Glad to see something that good going in that space.
KidDoc
AG
South Mad Taco is looking nice and large!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggiePhil
AG
Denny's is closed for a major renovation.
75AG
AG
deh40 said:

eloc62 said:

deh40 said:

Looks like TX Burger on Wellborn is open.
any early reviews?
Went tonight. Wasn't impressed, would rather have Whataburger.

Finally hit TX Burger today. Was so hoping it would be really good...but not. Very very "meh".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.