BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,942 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, CJ! I am glad to see some progress. Hopefully it will be able to open in the Fall?
nought
AG
DBSwooper said:

nought said:

Dennis Reynolds said:

deh40 said:

KidDoc said:

I saw that they were marking for a foundation next to the Taco Bell on Tower Point, any idea?
Jiffy Lube
Wow
Ditto that reaction, if it is negative like I think it is. Tower Point could have been a showcase of what could be done in this town when surrounded by some of the wealthiest communities. Instead we have haphazard placement of drive-through banks, pizza places, fast food joints, nail salons, cell phone stores, and the like.

Century Square is doing it right, and even little ol' Caprock Crossing right across the street seems to be doing a better job of attracting quality, higher-end tenants.

Some would argue that you get what the market supports.

True. Funny how Caprock Crossing, right across the street, seems to be poised to handle higher-end stuff and not just endless fast food places, nail joints, cell phone stores, and the like. Also funny how Tower Point has what is arguably the nicest grocery store in town, and seems to be able to support that.
KidDoc
AG
I don't think this article was shared yet:

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/austin-developer-stratus-building-center-college-station/AOdOEXB4Qv1xqp8yRCIDNO/

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rocketscience
AG
No problem! I'm hoping it will be done by Gig'em Week or at least the first home football game. The original delivery date was early June...
EBrazosAg
AG
PS3D said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

It's now a Fuego parking lot.

Really? Nice! I mean, would be cool to see another business there, but...extra Fuego parking.

EBrazosAg said:

TP area too high to make it work I suspect.

I can't imagine that University Drive East, right near the campus, right next to Embassy Suites is lower than Tower Point, which, let's face it, is little more than an H-E-B and a bunch of fast food places, nearly all of which have at least one other location in town.
Have you priced TP?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rocketscience
AG
https://brazosbusiness.org/2017/08/14/new-258000sf-college-station-heb-center-to-include-hotel-village-style-shops-apartments-and-much-more/

Just saw this. Looks like it will be a more bougie version of Tower Point.
Cyp0111
Looks pretty nice
95_Aggie
AG
Yea, more student apartments. Someone should tell that developer they are a little late.
MiMi
S
deh40 said:

KidDoc said:

I saw that they were marking for a foundation next to the Taco Bell on Tower Point, any idea?
Jiffy Lube
The lot next to Taco Bell that has the silt fence is for Freddy's. The lot next to Freddy's has the Jiffy Lube sign up.
runawaytrain
Does something about our city planning hate single family residences? You are correct, look at how many apartments there are going up it is stupid money right now. I have seen more and more houses still for lease up and the semester is quickly approaching.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Edit: it appears to be Mess Waffles etc.

Anybody tell what's in the spot under the 100 Park Apartments at Century Square? Mess something, but can't tell and don't recognize the logo. I don't see that they've announced the tenant, but it is now showing on this map and the spot was blank when they did the last round of announcements (the crepe place, the spa, etc).

rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Edit: it appears to be Mess Waffles etc.

Anybody tell what's in the spot under the 100 Park Apartments at Century Square? Mess something, but can't tell and don't recognize the logo. I don't see that they've announced the tenant, but it is now showing on this map and the spot was blank when they did the last round of announcements (the crepe place, the spa, etc).

I will cry many tears of joy if Mess is actually going in there. That's a pretty ambitious sized space for going from a food truck to there.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I'm not sure what's going on. The Hey Sugar place is now off the map, so not sure if they pulled out or not. I think another place is now not on there, but can't tell.
PS3D
Hey Sugar is still there as of the directory of stores and services. The space where it should be, behind and to the left of Hopdoddy (same building) seems to be a mess of pixels in the "zoomed in" view, if it was gone it would be gray. Seems the "download" image as a whole has just completely deteriorated as of late.
australopithecus robustus
I feel for any independents going into that development. The rents are so high that I just can't see how they won't struggle. Even if they do survive, they will just be buying themselves a job working for the landlord.
Cyp0111
I see that you keep saying that. What % higher is it compared to a typical rent in College Station. Compare to the Gateway Center area.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Anyone think Century Square is getting a little restaurant heavy? While I am happy it isn't the typical nail place and cell phone store, it seems like additional retail and services are needed there. Maybe a yoga studio as well...because, well, yoga pants.
Cyp0111
I agree. They're following the City Centre model.
All in at century square is $50/ft. Elsewhere in town around $28-$35
FlyRod
Quote:

Anyone think Century Square is getting a little restaurant heavy?

Nope. The more the better. Once we have enough non chicken finger, taco, and burger joints to balance those out, we'll have enough.
It is too restaurant heavy for sure. Would be nice to have a few retailers that would save the trip to the woodlands
Cyp0111
I read an article a year or so ago and the CEO for Midway said something like "I shop for clothes or home furnishings every so often, however I have to eat 3x a day".

It also doesn't help that the retail sector is really hurting and expansion in lower tier markets is probably tough.

Is 28-35 for some strip center in Brian or the equivalent of a nicer, highly visible on in South College Station or close to campus?
nought
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Anyone think Century Square is getting a little restaurant heavy?

Nope. The more the better. Once we have enough non chicken finger, taco, and burger joints to balance those out, we'll have enough.
Ditto that, and for those who keep saying that Tower Point can't support higher-end stuff, guess how much of Century Square's dinner traffic is going to be made up of people driving up there from south College Station? I would wager a pretty good amount. Right now I'm pretty likely to run into good-sized groups of people I know from the neighborhoods near me (Williams Creek, Pebble Creek, Castlegate, etc.) anytime I dine at Republic or Veritas or even Madden's.
No doubt that Midway's quality and proximity to campus are unmatched. That will not insulate it against the summers and December/January that are 30%-50% down in sales. Particularly the closer businesses are to campus, the more they're down in general.
Cyp0111
It will be interesting to see.

They have definitely positioned the property via marketing to be for the "entire Brazos Valley" vs students. I would imagine the two hotels will provide a decent customer flow for some of the restaurants.

I believe the combined hotel count is roughly 300 rooms between the two on site hotels with the three additional hotels behind Northpointe Crossing + Embassy suites should provide in excess of 600 rooms in a walking distance.

I think some of the restaurant components will kill it (Mo's Irish Pub, Hopdoddy, maybe the Porters Steakhouse) but places like Berryhill and the Sugar store will suffer regardless.

As with any college it's going to be unbalanced revenue. Unless South College Station can develop some version of a retail/commercial core this will be the defacto urban core for the region (outside of Downtown Bryan). It will be interesting to see play out.
I agree with many of your assements. I do think if Porter's does well, Republic will suffer greatly. Maybe both of them survive but no way they both kill it. Market is too small.
Cyp0111
Unless The Republic is able to finally upgrade their location or become a lower price option vs Porters I see no way it survives when you compare the two. I think you will see the Republic drop back to a more value option for a Steakhouse given current meat grades.

The problem with Republic is that you know have to know what you're looking for given the shape of the strip centre. Porters will benefit from the prime location in the nicest hotel in town.. and will likely suck up much of the out of town $$$ on big university weekends.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/porters/
FlyRod
Y'all underestimate Wade's business savvy. The Republic will be just fine.
Cyp0111
I'm sure he will....but he is going to have to adapt. I love the place and frequent it often when in town.
nought
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Unless The Republic is able to finally upgrade their location or become a lower price option vs Porters I see no way it survives when you compare the two. I think you will see the Republic drop back to a more value option for a Steakhouse given current meat grades.

The problem with Republic is that you know have to know what you're looking for given the shape of the strip centre. Porters will benefit from the prime location in the nicest hotel in town.. and will likely suck up much of the out of town $$$ on big university weekends.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/porters/

I agree with this. Republic is fine given other options in this town to date, but there is no way it competes with a "big city" steakhouse like Eddie V.'s. The executive chef and management team for Porter's basically comes from an Eddie V.'s in Houston. I expect Porter's to kill it in this town (with plenty of clientele willing to drop the coin who are just dying for a few other high-end options around here).

Republic can do just fine, but they are indeed going to have to adapt. Their steaks currently have the pricing of an Eddie V.'s, Del Frisco's, Capital Grille, etc., but not the same quality. Their location isn't going to help them going forward either.
halibut sinclair
Lots of armchair restaurateurs up in here playing fast and loose with others' livelihoods and investments.
Cyp0111
I've had a few restaurant investments. Tough way to make a living. I think the conversation has been civil if not constructive.
halibut sinclair
It's all too far from the bypass.
AggiePhil
AG
Fuego is definitely doing something with the old Pizza Hut building. I wonder if he's going to do the Fuego Pronto double drive-thru he talked about back when they first opened.
lucid
AG
Hearing from a reliable source that RX Pizza is looking at a new (second) location in Caprock.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.