BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,721 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
RGRAg1/75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Seems more like the public is failing tower point.

By not patronizing bush's chicken? Or Taco Bell? Or McDonald's? Or a lube place with another one going in up the hill? Or Drew's car wash coming with aggieland express behind Shipleys? Yea, they've really put together some earth shattering options.
australopithecus robustus
Sure, I get the point. I'm just saying that if it was so busy down there then why would anything go out of business?
RGRAg1/75
AG
Bc not many people "down there" want another fried chicken place. Laynes is across WDF and has a more devout following. Now there's zaxbys.

Additionally, tower point is not a focal point for retail as it should be. Get more people off the feeder and on to tower point and the eateries stay full. As it is, you have H-E-B and just recently pet smart. Had so much more potential, but the development was/is haphazard at best.
Very likely they are having a rough go getting retail down there because of the nationwide slump in retail due to online shopping (Amazon etc). Everybody in commercial real estate knows the crash is coming and there is going to be a glut of empty boxes on the market. Consequently, no rush towards new retail. People still eat, though.

Problem with down there also is that it's a ghost town after 9pm. Hard to get the users you're wanting when the sidewalks roll up that early.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Not buying it. New Braunfels has a pop. of ~75k, and this place is doing just fine:

Yea yea, I-35, blah blah blah. People from San Marcos and San Antonio aren't running there to shop/eat.

And I'm not sure what you mean about sidewalks rolling up at 9. There's only H-E-B west of 6, and lowes east. Where are folks supposed to go on this sidewalk of yours? Oh, and there's another chicken place on the east side that stays slammed except for Sunday.
jrhmc
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

AgySkeet06 said:

The south college station bush chicken has a sign they have closed due to lack of sales

Tower Point developer failed us all miserably.
No, the service at Bush's at the beginning caused them to lose business and being in the same general area as two or really three other chicken places, caused them to lose business.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Uh, see my other post about additional chicken places? My comment wasn't about bush's closing, it was about bush's even being there to begin with.
jrhmc
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Uh, see my other post about additional chicken places? My comment wasn't about bush's closing, it was about bush's even being there to begin with.
I'm pretty sure Bush's was there first other than Chick fil a. I know Zaxby's was later although Layne's might have been at about the same time. I'm betting all of those deals were in the works at the same time and they didn't know about each other since each one was with a different development. That's the same way we get a bazillion sushi places, yogurt shops, and trampoline places all at the same time. Bush's just didn't have good service and fell behind. Survival of the fittest at work.
RGRAg1/75
AG
And again, that falls on the developer. TP has let us all down.
https://wolfstreet.com/2017/11/06/plunging-mall-prices-drag-down-commercial-real-estate/

I suppose you live down there and are taking things somewhat personal. Understandable.

Well, you're about to get Gringo's, Walk-ons, a Brazilian steakhouse, whatever Tai is building and more. My money is on Gringos killing it. A little bit concerned for the others mentioned.
Cyp0111
Gringos will kill it.

Walk-ons and the Brazilian joint will really struggle.
I totally agree. The demos don't support it. Especially the Brazilian steakhouse. This isn't The Woodlands.
Cyp0111
Yep.

Walk-on's really isnt all that good and I'm not sure South College Station will have the bar/HH crowd to support. The Brazilian Steakhouse really requires business travelers and a higher discretionary income and/or population with income.

The steakhouse is going to have to fight to get steak eaters away from the upcoming porters and soon to be rebuilt republic. I always view the all you can eat steakhouse as Pax Americana experiment gone wrong.
I have my doubts there's enough room for even Poters and Republic both. After porters opening, the two of them may just churn about in mediocrity, sharing customers, instead of The Republic continuing to enjoy their current success.

KidDoc
AG
I am not optimistic about the Brazilian steakhouse, just so much overhead. Walk ons will be fine since there is literally no sports bar on this side of town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
The Republic will continue to be fine...it's in good hands. Porter's and the Brazilian steakhouse will likely be fine as well. Time to move past the negative nanny "We're an itty bitty cow town that can only support chicken finger and burger joints" mentality.
My statements are based on data and facts from the Texas a&m real estate center, city of college station website data, and Texas state comptroller tax reporting info, not feelings.

So, feel free to refer to me as realistic Ricky as opposed to negative nanny lol
LastHamlet
AG

I have my doubts there's enough room for even Poters and Republic both. After porters opening, the two of them may just churn about in mediocrity, sharing customers, instead of The Republic continuing to enjoy their current success.

When does Porters open?
Captn_Ag05
AG
So, did Walk-Ons announce a location? Last I heard it was going to be in "North College Station" somewhere.
FlyRod
Quote:

My statements are based on data and facts from the Texas a&m real estate center, city of college station website data, and Texas state comptroller tax reporting info, not feelings.

So, feel free to refer to me as realistic Ricky as opposed to negative nanny lol

And my data are courtesy of those doing the market research for (and other planning) for those two coming restaurants, so...yeah, I'll stand by my original statement.

And I will continue to be amused by the "We're not good enough for X." argument until it finally fades away for good.
Cool!! I'm impressed. You know EVERYBODY! Keep that inside info coming!
PS3D
The reviews on Bush's Chicken Tower Point have been really bad, and any glance in the TexAgs back catalog will prove this. "Not being able to support Bush's Chicken" is especially bunk with Saltgrass across the street that still seems to draw in a small crowd regularly, even during the off-season. Bush's Chicken will probably get a new tenant next year.
FlyRod
Quote:

Aww, thanks, will do.

But as re these coming restaurants, as halibut is wont to state, "Let's wait and see."

Forgot about Tai's new place. The blueprints looked cool...it will crush it.
KidDoc
AG
LastHamlet said:

When does Porters open?
I'm one of the Nextseed investors in them and they were saying mid November but when I walked by there on Tuesday it looked a long way off. I would bet on spring maybe.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jja79
AG
Plenty of businesses that did market research fail. I too am skeptical about the Brazilian steakhouse. But you may be right.
Cyp0111
It is really going to come down to price point imo.
FlyRod
Of course. That was raised when The Republic, Madden's, Veritas all opened. They're doing fine, and there's far more $$$ in town now.

BCS is coming of age. We want more than burgers, chicken fingers and tacos. I know, shocker.
jja79
AG
It may do really well, we'll see. As with any new business. While i coukd affird it more often its the kind of place I'd go once a year or so.
Carny89
I wish wings n more would go in at the old bushes on Texas. Perfect spot for my fat azzz.
BlueMiles
AG
Galleria Day Spa, which used to be across from Shipwreck and Shipley's on Villa Maria, has a new location on Rock Prarie, east of Hwy 6. (I think they are in a building formerly occupied by Riviera Day Spa, but I'm not certain.) Galleria said they also have a place under construction in Century Square.

White Elm Day Spa has moved in to the building previously occupied by Galleria Day Spa on Villa Maria.
Tailgate88
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Aww, thanks, will do.

But as re these coming restaurants, as halibut is wont to state, "Let's wait and see."

Forgot about Tai's new place. The blueprints looked cool...it will crush it.

Excellent. I saw the blueprints for the Brazilian steakhouse and they also looked cool so that must mean they will crush it too!
nought
AG
Carny89 said:

I wish wings n more would go in at the old bushes on Texas. Perfect spot for my fat azzz.
A Wings n More 'to go' drive through place in the old Bush's location by Tower Point would make a fortune; even more if they offered delivery. They don't even have to have the full menu -- just wings, tenders, burgers, and of course their curly fries and super thin onion rings.

Damn I'm hungry.
SchnauzerMom
I too think a Wings N More Express would be highly successful in that area.
KidDoc
AG
nought said:

Carny89 said:

A Wings n More 'to go' drive through place in the old Bush's location by Tower Point would make a fortune; even more if they offered delivery. They don't even have to have the full menu -- just wings, tenders, burgers, and of course their curly fries and super thin onion rings.

Damn I'm hungry.
I agree with this statement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.