BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,208 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They would have let them do drive though it patio but they would have to get a build permit that required them to bring all items up to their udo. Things like have to pave lot, greenery, and other bs. Think the estimate was >50k to get to the point where they were compliant and could apply for the permit.
Was wondering if they addressed the major air conditioner issue. Saw the Ac contractor there yesterday.
Scotch
AG
Yep, the Texas Burger in Westgate was NOT related to the chain and is why Carter's was named Carter's. Is Carter's no longer affiliated? I did wonder why they simply didnt shift back to Texas Burger after the long renovation hiatus.
rsa
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

Some kind of ramen place has coming soon signs up in the Kohl's shopping center, next to the new bubble tea place. I didn't catch the name something Ramen.
Takana Ramen
TheAlarmGuy
carpe vinum said:

PS3D said:

BrandoC said:

Best hamburger joint in Texas. Man this is good news.
I think that they actually had a location in Bryan-College Station many years ago (with the old "Texas Burger" logo), in Westgate Center. Did this actually happen or was the directory wrong?
Yep, I don't know how connected it was to the chain though. Tad was essentially a one man operation. I miss the aggie special" hamburger, egg roll, and a drink.
Tad was the best!!! miss that guy
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
BaitShack
AG
Did I see something in the news about Buppy's Buffett closing?
BaitShack
AG
Yep, it's on kbtx. http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Buffet-for-Bryan-business-ending-this-week-431606813.html
BaitShack
AG
The Friday fish, shrimp and huspuppies was worth the trip once or twice a month.
FILO505
AG
Chain BBQ? New? Any word?
Cyp0111
I had Good Bull BBQ for the first time. Really good stuff. Will be interesting to see if he moves to a brick and mortar.
FlyRod
The Fusion Peru food truck has announced they are moving into a restaurant. Those are the only details I have.
biobioprof
FlyRod said:

The Fusion Peru food truck has announced they are moving into a restaurant. Those are the only details I have.
Ever eat there? I've meant to but never got around to it. Plus I figured they wouldn't have my favorite Peruvian dish: the Pisco Sour.
rocketscience
AG
Latest update from Economic Development Director for College Station
PS3D
CJHajda said:

Latest update from Economic Development Director for College Station
It's interesting but skip the first five minutes, it's all a waste of time.

"As you can see, there are new stores at the Gateway shopping center...and the old Linens N Things is under construction, but I can't tell you what you want to know because of non-disclosure agreements...Pappadeaux's is still dragging their feet. I can't tell you when they will open...Developers still want to do the actual retail component behind Blue Baker and Abuelo's, which was mentioned in site plans for the last 10 years. There is interest, but nothing's signed yet..."

Finally, around Chimney Hill (about five and a half minutes in), she does cover new information not previously mentioned. The new Chimney Hill will be a strip center again (though she dances around actually calling it that) and mentions that the Republic will relocate out front, presumably to the old Chamber of Commerce site. The old Albertsons site is discussed...it's a little inaccurate to say exactly how much H-E-B bought in 2011 (there were three stores, not sites all over the state) but basically what we know before--H-E-B still has a lease there and between them and the building owner, they cockblock any new ideas the city has for usage. Still wonder why the city's rolling over and playing dead on this, a previous city council might've actually been proactive enough to try to buy the building back and market it to put an actual business on the tax rolls.

Another actual interesting point is that the strip center next to Embassy (where they tore down Lovan Animal Clinic) is that Dunkin' Donuts dropped plans to build there.

Other than that, nothing actually new, like Century Square's retail tenants discussed on TexAgs (the interviewer surprises Ruiz with hiring for Hopdoddy already, which Ruiz was unaware of), new high rises in Northgate (no information otherwise, so if you were hoping for more information on the ground-floor retail at the old BB&T, then forget it), University Square/Legacy Point (turns out they have no idea what they want to do, surprise, surprise), the new H-E-B at Wellborn/2818 (a restaurant inside, which isn't a huge surprise if you know H-E-B, what with it being a 100k square foot and all--and besides, the Bryan H-E-Bs both have eateries, Chinese food AND that grilled chicken place, depending on the location), Tower Point (again, nothing that we don't know before), the building behind Corner Store on Rock Prairie (all they can talk about is a smoothie shop with a drive-through...another Smoothie King?), the new auto dealership between 2818 and Rock Prairie (old news), Providence Park (no news), old Academy (no news), Gander Mountain (yes, it will reopen as the new store), Altitude Trampoline Park (again, known already), In-N-Out Burger (still looking at locations).

They mention that the property at the SE corner of 40 and 6 is ready to be sold, but they don't know what's there. If it is a Target (zero evidence for that) what makes them think that it won't replace the Target on Texas Avenue? They mention "national grocery chains" but as for large tenants AND national grocery chains, that really limits options, and far and away the most realistic choice there would be a Kroger Marketplace.

All in all, it was okay.
EBrazosAg
AG
I agree about old Albertsons. But after Chimney Hill disaster for CofCS hard to hold it against them not buying the old Albertsons. Really wish they would use other ways to encourage redevelopment of that shopping center however. Probably just not a priority with all the other developments going on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BlueMiles
AG
Thank you for the summary.
lockett93
AG
These are my additions not what was stated in podcast.

Linen n Things will be Spec's as stated before here.

Gander reopening isn't a done deal

Rumor that Kroger is looking in TowerPointe area and may close RP location( total rumor here). Maybe that's the major player for the Young property across from Lowes (if not Target)

PS3D
lockett93 said:

These are my additions not what was stated in podcast.

Linen n Things will be Spec's as stated before here.

I think Ruiz knew that but it wasn't "official" yet.

Quote:

I thought that it would reopen until there was a rumor here that it wasn't, started by some employee, and then cleared up later.

Quote:

Rumor that Kroger is looking in TowerPointe area and may close RP location( total rumor here). Maybe that's the major player for the Young property across from Lowes (if not Target)

That would fit in the "national grocery" category at William D. Fitch and Highway 6, because there are only three companies that can fill that (no, not Trader Joe's, it's too small): those companies would be Kroger, Albertsons Companies, and Whole Foods. A Kroger Marketplace has been rumored for years, the chances of the other two building there are diminishingly small.

I don't think Target would come, as I don't think the area could support three (I'm not a Bryan evangelist, but them pretending the Bryan Target didn't exist was annoying), unless the store on Texas Avenue closed up shop. On the other hand, I don't think it's implausible for RP's Kroger to close down with the new Marketplace, as Kroger has proven to operate stores within close proximity in northwest Houston (at least until they build a replacement store, come on, build one closer to the west side!).
carpe vinum
AG
It sounds like Kroger to Greens Prairie at Arrington is pretty done from what I've heard.
lockett93
AG
carpe vinum said:

It sounds like Kroger to Greens Prairie at Arrington is pretty done from what I've heard.
That would make sense as well. But wonder what that would leave at the SE corner of Fitch and 6?
lockett93
AG
PS3D said:

Quote:

I thought that it would reopen until there was a rumor here that it wasn't, started by some employee, and then cleared up later.
I think she stated that Gander was still negotiating for a lower lease...
carpe vinum
AG
lockett93 said:

carpe vinum said:

That would make sense as well. But wonder what that would leave at the SE corner of Fitch and 6?
That Walgreens may be the only one in America without a CVS adjacent to it.
Tailgate88
AG
carpe vinum said:

lockett93 said:

carpe vinum said:

...yet
halibut sinclair
Walgreens on Boonville at AC Parkway has no CVS nearby.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Texas Ice Rolls in the mall is really good.
Scotch
AG
Neither does the 29th/Briarcrest location, though CVS has tried.

Edit: I forgot that they bought the Medicine Chest down at De Lee/29th.6 miles away, I guess that's close enough to count.
Justin2010
AG
Wouldn't it be a pretty negative thing for the Kroger at Rock Prairie to move and leave behind a big empty box?

Also, what's the name of the mid-rise going up just behind Northgate on wellborn?
AggiePhil
AG
Sterling
carpe vinum
AG
Tailgate88 said:

carpe vinum said:

lockett93 said:

carpe vinum said:

...yet
exactly my point.
I imagine CVS is looking at that spot.
ratfacemcdougal
Don't forget the Lowes / Home Depot pairings...SE corner of 40/6....across from Lowes....anybody?
RafterAg223
AG
carpe vinum said:

armymom
Maybe Trader Joe's can move into the RP Kroger site.
armymom
I really wish Readfield Meats would add a 2nd location in south College Station area!
PS3D
armymom said:

Maybe Trader Joe's can move into the RP Kroger site.
And leave three-quarters of it vacant?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Why do y'all suggest Trader Joe's for every vacant building around the area?
Love Gun
mAgnoliAg said:

Why do y'all suggest Trader Joe's for every vacant building around the area?

Isn't that where all the tree huggers and vegans shop?

If so, do not want. Don't California my College Station

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.