BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,428 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Molly's Downtown now The Bistro. Full bar and changing menu. Soft opening at first friday tonight.
AggiePhil
AG
eloc62 said:

deh40 said:

Looks like TX Burger on Wellborn is open.
any early reviews?

Went there for lunch. Was delicious and the staff was extremely friendly. That said, at the end of the day it is a fast food burger joint. But that's ok. Wish they had a drive-thru though. Makes it easier with kids.
FILO505
AG
Good Bull BBQ going in old La Botana on Southgate
Cyp0111
Great news
Counterpoint
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Good Bull BBQ going in old La Botana on Southgate
Good bull!
carpe vinum
AG
ChampsAg
Cilantro going into old Patranella's spot downtown

FlyRod
Would this be Cilantro Taco Grill, an Illinois based mini chain? If so, menu looks good. Hope they can compete with Papa Perez and Casa Rod.
carpe vinum
AG
I got heartburn just reading the sign.
Tailgate88
AG
"Illinois based" Mexican. Color me skeptical.
Love Gun
That other new taco place down there where Zarape used to be was pretty dang good.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Not a big fan of cilantro, so I guess this place isn't for me.
Love Gun
My take...

GiveEmHellBill said:

Not a big fan of Illinois, so I guess this place isn't for me.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Demon 8 said:

My take...

GiveEmHellBill said:

Not a big fan of Illinois, so I guess this place isn't for me.

FlyRod
Tailgate, a news flash: large Mexican populations = good food. There are a lot in the Chicago area. I'm currently visiting my dad at one of the 'burbs, and the dive Mexican restaurant nearby is the equal to many I've had in Texas. Frankly I'd love it if Chicago chef Rick Bayless would open a place in Texas (as long as his obnoxious brother Skip stays away).
Tailgate88
AG
Skeptical <> Can't be convinced. I look forward to trying them out.
Rex Racer
AG
FlyRod said:

Would this be Cilantro Taco Grill, an Illinois based mini chain? If so, menu looks good. Hope they can compete with Papa Perez and Casa Rod.
I'm going to guess, "no". The restaurant is called Cilantro Mexican Grill. Different name. And the sign says established 2017.
FlyRod
Cool, thanks. Hope it's local, and wish them the best in that tough location.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Tailgate88 said:

There's actually a lot of Mexicans from Mexico city in Illinois so the food should be different than the Northern Mexico food that most Mexican restaurants in Texas serve.
The Original AG 76
AG
hennyj15 said:

Tailgate88 said:

There's actually a lot of Mexicans from Mexico city in Illinois so the food should be different than the Northern Mexico food that most Mexican restaurants in Texas serve.

I think the skepticism regarding a Mexican eateries up in yankeeland could be explained by an example of what happened to a friends Mexican eatery over in Tampa ( a totally yankee infested area). We used to go weekly as it was the only real Mex joint in Tampa that served good spicy TexMex, owned by a couple of guys from Houston. AS time wore on the food became less flavorful and eventually outright bland. The owners told to always tell the waiter to tell the chef that we were from Texas and make it for Texans..that worked for awhile but eventually we gave up. The boys finally had to give up and they sold the place. The reason was that the 80% yankee clientele fussed and complained about the spicy food. Those people think that salt and pepper are exotic and hot seasoning. The guys had to tone down their dishes simply to satisfy the yankee palate . It was pathetic but a reality.
We travel a LOT and once you get a ways from the Southwest it is very noticeable that what they call spicy is NOT what we call spicy.
Side Note.....go up north and ask for picante or tobasco sauce for breakfast !!! I can't even fathom actually eating an egg anything without ,at the minimum, picante or optimally drenched in tobasco..just do that in a yankee eatery and watch the reactions IF you can even get hot sauce for breakfast !
RDH80
AG
It is local. I "heard" that it was associated with some people from the La Perla meat market....
FlyRod
OriginalAg, if you're in Tampa eating Tex Mex instead of Cuban, you're doing it all wrong. Way wrong.

I've never had problems getting hot sauce and salsa in a real Mexican restaurant in Yankeeland these days. Then again I avoid the fake ones like ChiChis.
The Original AG 76
AG
FlyRod said:

OriginalAg, if you're in Tampa eating Tex Mex instead of Cuban, you're doing it all wrong. Way wrong.

I've never had problems getting hot sauce and salsa in a real Mexican restaurant in Yankeeland these days. Then again I avoid the fake ones like ChiChis.
not a big fan of cuban. the bread was good but it tends to be a little bland. I went to Ybor City a lot and tried all of the classic cuban joints, good but not great.
And it not about " getting" salsa and hot sauce it was the use of spice in the dishes and the lack of the great spicy flavors cooked into the meals. Many folks here can't enjoy the real deep spice and flavor or good Tex-Mex, it can be a bit overpowering BUT its what makes TexMex great.
BTW.. I worked in Mexico and other than the coast and the northern parts you didn't find really spiced up food as a norm.. it's a TexMex thing. Want proof..go to Calif and order their Mexican stuff...bland as New Jersey.
taxpreparer
AG
hennyj15 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Some of the best beef enchiladas I have ever eaten were in Dixie's Cafe in Cougar Washington. My wife and I had just come across Mt. St. Helens, two years after the eruption. We couldn't start across the mountain until after five o'clock because of the logging trucks pulling out destroyed trees. Anyway, it took four hours of dodging trucks and we were hungry.

Dixie's Cafe was the first place we saw and we stopped. I would eat Tex-mex twice a day if I could convince my family, and enchiladas were on the menu. Still, I was skeptical, this was Washington state, after all. I asked the waitress if the enchiladas were good and she said yes. I said, "We're from Texas, are they really good?" She replied that the owner was from San Antonio, so yes. She was right.

You just never know.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
FlyRod
I go to AZ or NM when I want spice. Outside the RGV, I have not found Tex Mex to be remotely as spicy as I would like. Certainly in BCS I can't think of a single Tex Mex place that's really all that spicy at all. But they do pile on the cheese!
Tailgate88
AG
hennyj15 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Ok now I am intrigued!
Kitten With A Whip
Chick-Fil-A in Cullpepper Plaza is closed for remodeling. Not sure when they will reopen.
Kendall Rogers
AG
FlyRod said:

I go to AZ or NM when I want spice. Outside the RGV, I have not found Tex Mex to be remotely as spicy as I would like. Certainly in BCS I can't think of a single Tex Mex place that's really all that spicy at all. But they do pile on the cheese!

Try the southwestern at Chuys if you want NM spicy...Blue corn tortillas stacked with roasted chicken, cheese, and green chile sauce.
Kendall Rogers
AG
Kendall Rogers said:

FlyRod said:

Try the Southwestern Enchiladas at Chuys if you want NM spicy...Blue corn tortillas stacked with roasted chicken, cheese, and green chile sauce with an egg on top.
PS3D
Kitten With A Whip said:

Chick-Fil-A in Cullpepper Plaza is closed for remodeling. Not sure when they will reopen.

I believe it's because the parking is being reworked to allow for two drive through lanes. It does mean that there will no longer be parking in front of the restaurant.
ChampsAg
Expanding the kitchen and serving area per their Facebook page. Also new transformer in vack
The Original AG 76
AG
New Texas Burger in Wellborn is top notch. Tried it today. Very good food
mgreen
As a New Orleans native I am now hooked on the new Remnants of N'awlins location in Bryan. I live in Pebble Creek but have made the drive three times this month already. I can finally get REAL french bread for my po boys. The fried shrimp and catfish are as good as any New Orleans restaurant. I brough a friend from Galveston and he raved over the seafood gumbo. Loved the boudin balls, meat pies and potato salad.

Headed back next week with some more New Orleans friends to try more of the menu including the stuffed bell peppers I keep hearing about.

Love to support locals.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Does their new location have the same menu as the one on Holleman?
KidDoc
AG
mgreen said:

As a New Orleans native I am now hooked on the new Remnants of N'awlins location in Bryan. I live in Pebble Creek but have made the drive three times this month already. I can finally get REAL french bread for my po boys. The fried shrimp and catfish are as good as any New Orleans restaurant. I brough a friend from Galveston and he raved over the seafood gumbo. Loved the boudin balls, meat pies and potato salad.

Headed back next week with some more New Orleans friends to try more of the menu including the stuffed bell peppers I keep hearing about.

Love to support locals.
Thanks for the update! I am going to take the wife & son out there tomorrow for dinner.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.