BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,807 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
ratfacemcdougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good, bad or otherwise.....Thanks to bcstx06 for keeping the spirit alive.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Wayside is definitely open. Some pictures on their Facebook if you want to check that out.

From the surroundings, it is hard to believe that is BCS. Growing up...literally

KBTX Story:

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Wayside-Food-Park-now-open-in-College-Station-462813593.html
Rexter
Not digging up my old post about St Joe, but I guess it was somewhat correct in the it will change hands (merge) instead of going back to the sisters.
Oddity
KBTX reported that the Phillips golf course was donated to the City of Bryan. If the donation is approved by the council the mayor said it will become the new city golf course, and the Travis B property will be turned into a "regional athletic and entertainment venue".

I love this idea. I've always felt that area with the pavilion and lake has potential if properly developed. Maybe the new park will be similar to Wolf Pen Creek.
carpe vinum
AG
I'm sure it could be great, I've played countless rounds on that course though.
But then nearly every place that was an open area around here has been bulldozed and concreted over.
It's the price of admission I suppose.
I just have to think decades from now folks will be thinking "why didn't city planners carve out green space" when this was growing up.
All in favor of development, but you need to keep some green in the mix for later.
techno-ag
AG
Finally maybe we can get a superpark.
B2BCS15
AG
Have y'all tried Circle D Nursery on Finfeather in Bryan? They do retail on Saturday (and possibly Fridays?) but I've had pretty good luck with getting quality plants rather than the miniture, overpriced crap from the big box stores. Circle D is a wholesale nursery for landscapers so their plants are typically pretty nice.
KidDoc
AG
Oddity said:

KBTX reported that the Phillips golf course was donated to the City of Bryan. If the donation is approved by the council the mayor said it will become the new city golf course, and the Travis B property will be turned into a "regional athletic and entertainment venue".

I love this idea. I've always felt that area with the pavilion and lake has potential if properly developed. Maybe the new park will be similar to Wolf Pen Creek.
Woah that is interesting! Love that golf course.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
CHI and Dignity are merging as billion dollar not-for-profits (hard to figure that out I know). St Joseph is part of CHI, which is the larger of the two entities merging. The sisters (St Francis of Sylvania, Ohio) are one of the 13 or so "congregations" in CHI, and will be part of the larger, merged entity (no name yet) going forward. Took 14 months or so to do the deal - probably because most of the Dignity hospitals are Catholic "light" ,if at all, due to the political issues involved in their home of California. In fact, they used to be called Catholic Health West, but changed the name under pressure from politicians on the left and the church on the right. There will be Co-CEO's : Dignity of the operations part of the company, CHI in the area of mission. Don't ask me how that will work, sounds silly to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
So should a non profit getting splitting into smaller organizations so you feel better about their total values?
EBrazosAg
AG
No. It does seem a little incongruous with NFP to be talking about $21 billion ..... I was just pointing that out. Guess some can't see the levity in that. If I thought that was a big problem it would have been very evident in my post. But stay frosty like you are.......
rocketscience
AG
The Eagle reported Sweet Paris Creperie and Cafe will be opening in Century Square in the Spring.
LastHamlet
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

So should a non profit getting splitting into smaller organizations so you feel better about their total values?
It won't matter. They will still offer sub-par healthcare and charge outrageous rates.
Oogway
I agree. Call me a tree hugger if you want, but the best development has a blend of hard and softscape and some even left a little "wild." Some of the longest lasting successful areas In communities have that blend. I realize that green space costs greenbacks, but sometimes thinking long term is the way to go....
PS3D
Oddity said:

Didn't the city want to do that a few years ago and turn the golf course into some sort of superpark, but the voters shot it down?
isitjustme
AG
PS3D said:

Oddity said:

Didn't the city want to do that a few years ago and turn the golf course into some sort of superpark, but the voters shot it down?
Close. There were 2 items on that ballot. One was a binding vote to undesignate the golf course as a park so that it could be developed into business uses. That overwhelmingly failed, meaning that property has to stay a park. This new super park use conforms to this requirement.

The other item was nonbinding and was whether or not to buy Briarcrest and use it as the muni golf course. That also failed. This new proposal will gift Phillips (Briarcrest) to Bryan, and also includes a possible lease on the building as a senior center, then that's not so bad.

Super park, public golf course, and maybe a senior center all at a much lower cost!!
bcstx06
Okay guys, I have updated the front page. I know that I am missing somethings or may have some information incorrect. I want to make sure everything looks right before I start the new 2018 thread so please let me know any corrections. I am also thinking about adding website links or articles to these new businesses.

I also wanted to ask if anyone new the status of the Hyatt House under construction near Cracker Barrel. It seems to have been under construction for over a year now. Also, is Bryan CapRock ER near completion?
Geralt of Rivia
S
I believe the Mad Taco at Caprock is open now.

If "Twisted Noodle" is the restaurant in the old Kroger shopping center at SW Pkwy/Texas, then it has been open for a while now
KidDoc
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

I believe the Mad Taco at Caprock is open now.

If "Twisted Noodle" is the restaurant in the old Kroger shopping center at SW Pkwy/Texas, then it has been open for a while now
Mad taco at caprock/tower point is open for sure have been there three times so far.

Thanks for working on this list, it is very dynamic!
carpe vinum
AG
It's a thankless chore that you've undertaken, but I, and many, many others appreciate your effort.
Geralt of Rivia
S
carpe vinum said:

It's a thankless chore that you've undertaken, but I, and many, many others appreciate your effort.

Definitely. This is the only Aggieland thread I keep up with
EBrazosAg
AG
Your's is the only thread worth following the majority of the time on the Aggieland board. Keep up the good work.

The Caprock ER on Briarcrest should be nearing completion but don't think it will be really soon. It is a "mini hospital" not just a freestanding ER. It will have some beds for short admits/observations. This serves 3 purposes:
1 - Futureproofs them from any legislative action that might put freestanding ER, especially those that aren't part of a hospital system, out of business. Many states don't allow them now. Lots of lobbying on both sides in Texas.
2 - Allows them to get into the outpatient imaging market. Currently freestanding ER's are not allowed to provide imaging for non-ER patients. Being a "hospital" eliminates that restriction.
3 - I assume as a "hospital" they could apply for Medicare/Medicaid accreditation for the facility. Freestandings either can't or don't do government insurance. Don't know if they want that or not for the new place. But it's a possibility.

Meeting the requirements from code for a hospital and not just a free standing ER may be adding to the complexity of the construction I would think.
ChampsAg
All the King's Men has not opened. The goal is this coming Wednesday
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Your's is the only thread worth following the majority of the time on the Aggieland board. Keep up the good work.

The Caprock ER on Briarcrest should be nearing completion but don't think it will be really soon. It is a "mini hospital" not just a freestanding ER. It will have some beds for short admits/observations. This serves 3 purposes:
1 - Futureproofs them from any legislative action that might put freestanding ER, especially those that aren't part of a hospital system, out of business. Many states don't allow them now. Lots of lobbying on both sides in Texas.
2 - Allows them to get into the outpatient imaging market. Currently freestanding ER's are not allowed to provide imaging for non-ER patients. Being a "hospital" eliminates that restriction.
3 - I assume as a "hospital" they could apply for Medicare/Medicaid accreditation for the facility. Freestandings either can't or don't do government insurance. Don't know if they want that or not for the new place. But it's a possibility.

Meeting the requirements from code for a hospital and not just a free standing ER may be adding to the complexity of the construction I would think.
If they start taking Medicare/medicaid then they will be subject to EMTALA which means they cannot turn away patients based on ability to pay. They will never do that it is against their entire business model.
TLIAC
AG
I kind of scanned the last few pages and didn't see this information. If it is a duplicate I'm sorry. Paradise Liquor (by Rattlers and Taco Casa) is under new ownership and it is currently open (I believe it closed for a short period of time). For the time being my friend is keeping the name but soon she will be changing it to Half Pints. She is going to do an amazing job. She is trying to keep all of the popular items stocked but she will order special items if you ask. Her name is Shannon and she is at the store most of the time. She is trying hard to keep her prices as close to one of the larger liquor stores as she can.
carpe vinum
AG
Cool.
Last owners seemed under capitalized, very sparse inventory.
Hoping the new ones have more to work with (Oh, and if not we can help with capital, TLIAC)
EBrazosAg
AG
I agree. Just pointing out the possibility. The other 2 issues are the "mini hospital" drivers IMHO.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was just taking a look at the first page (thank you for updating it, bcstx06!) and noticed the Trader Joe's rumor. Was it really rumored to be at the Atlas/Lake Walk development? I would love for a Trader Joe's to come to BCS, but it doesn't seem like that would be a logical location. It is far out (in BCS terms) and the roads out there aren't great. Curious as to where that rumor came from.
PS3D
The Atlas development did include a small grocery store as part of the plans (the size of Trader Joe's or Aldi, not Kroger or H-E-B). I might have been guilty of the original speculation, but even when I ran that list I didn't put it on there.

Of course, the Biocorridor didn't really pan out like it was supposed to so it's anyone's case. If the airport renovation that the contracted company will work and bring in more flights, Atlas could lean more toward what the area like around IAH is, a weird mix of industrial buildings, and hotels and restaurants for every budget.
rc_cat
Captn_Ag05 said:

I was just taking a look at the first page (thank you for updating it, bcstx06!) and noticed the Trader Joe's rumor. Was it really rumored to be at the Atlas/Lake Walk development? I would love for a Trader Joe's to come to BCS, but it doesn't seem like that would be a logical location. It is far out (in BCS terms) and the roads out there aren't great. Curious as to where that rumor came from.
I was just talking to a TJ's employee the other day - I don't know how accurate his info was, but he said that he had heard that TJ's was trying to lease a spot in the B/CS area and the deal fell through - but that they're still looking for another place. Fingers crossed that they find somewhere.
Cyp0111
The concept of Atlas is cool. However, I'm not sure they're going to reach the appropriate critical mass in the near term. Hoping for the best for them.
toolshed
AG
PS3D said:

Of course, the Biocorridor didn't really pan out like it was supposed to so it's anyone's case. If the airport renovation that the contracted company will work and bring in more flights, Atlas could lean more toward what the area like around IAH is, a weird mix of industrial buildings, and hotels and restaurants for every budget.
You can thank the almighty Sharp for that outcome. He hated Brett Giroir, who did most of the recruiting for the concept and brought people in to the biocorridor plan. Sharp got rid of him, and through the course of events, the companies recruited in slowly backed out.

Since it wasn't Sharp's idea, he had to get rid of it...
RedBeardDude
Coming soon and nearing completion in 2018 in Caprock crossing is: Caliber Collision Center behind discount tire. And Casa Do Brazil across from mad taco.
carpe vinum
AG
RedBeardDude said:

Coming soon and nearing completion in 2018 in Caprock crossing is: Caliber Collision Center behind discount tire. And Casa Do Brazil across from mad taco.
Well that explains it. I had not heard that before.
I saw all those bay doors and wondered if it was a maintenance building for the adjacent Ground Shuttle going up.
RedBeardDude
My company is installing the irrigation system. I'm not sure why they don't have a sign up. Construction company isn't local or Houston based.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.