BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,741 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious what the parking situation is going to be like at Century Square once all the promised restaurants are built.

The drive up highway 6 and dealing with the new ramps is one thing, then dealing with traffic on University is another, but is parking going to be a hassle once arriving at Century Square?

For the person earlier who said they thought Porters might be too high of a price point for this town -- Christopher's, Republic, Veritas, and Madden's are all doing ok with similar price points. It will be nice to have another option around that same level.
Cyp0111
They sunk money into a bar district. Generally, return is generated by public spaces not named parking garages. I think any semi-capable public/private partnership would yield 10x results to the city. It is questionable how many more chicken finger places we can digest.

Granted, Century Square is public/private btw A&M and a developer. The University/Pres. Young realize how important it is to develop some version of a cohesive community. This is a good start. The City of College Station will benefit with offshoot projects/revitalization.
Cyp0111
There is supposed to be a parking structure. Hopefully, its an improvement over City Centre in Houston.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Quote:

sunk a lot of money into Northgate with mixed results.
My results are usually only mixed when I ask for them that way
EBrazosAg
AG
KidDoc said:

armymom said:

To me Century Square looks like a nightmare that I will never want to get close to. I'll stick with South College Station.
I think it is going to be amazing and cannot wait for it to go live.
I think the reality will be in between. The traffic around University and Texas is going to get to the point it will limit the number of residents willing to brave it. Amazing is a really strong word for a collection of concrete between IHOP and Texas Ave.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

KidDoc said:

armymom said:

To me Century Square looks like a nightmare that I will never want to get close to. I'll stick with South College Station.
I think it is going to be amazing and cannot wait for it to go live.
I think the reality will be in between. The traffic around University and Texas is going to get to the point it will limit the number of residents willing to brave it. Amazing is a really strong word for a collection of concrete between IHOP and Texas Ave.
That is the thing though it is not going to be a pile of concrete. From the mock-ups and centers it is copying it will be a very pleasant outdoor mall facility with multiple interesting restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues.

In theory!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jja79
AG
nought said:

mazag08 said:

WTF do you expect them to build? College station is a suburban city without a downtown. It's history is in old school country taverns. Do you expect them to build skyscrapers? You're never going to get an inner city feel in a small town. Don't like it? Move.

Visit Ann Arbor, Michigan, to see a college town of a similar size that has far better variety and quality of shopping, restaurants, etc. Bryan and College Station together are actually larger than Ann Arbor by quite a bit, yet we seem to be stuck in chicken strip/drive-up bank/nail shop/pizza delivery/cheap-hair-salon hell except for a few bright spots here and there.

Ann Arbor, with a population of roughly 117,000, manages to have things like a vibrant restaurant scene, a massive children's museum, great chain options like P.F. Changs, etc.

What do I expect? I'd be happy with something even half as good as Ann Arbor.
Why don't the people that make such posts raise some capital and open the things they think are needed?
mazag08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

AA is a good town but part of a larger Metro which allows some retailers to stretch. AA has done a fanstastic job of creating a unique city feel in a small town.

My comments were not against Century Square, its against development in BCS as a whole, which, to date, requires a mattress store, nail salon, phone store and chicken finger joint to be developed.

The city as a whole has done a terrible job of ushering in sustainable, development that creates any resemblance of a community. Hence the suburban ghetto comment.

I'm hoping Century Square provides the impetus for a true urbanized development. Granted, many townies on this thread freak out at the thought of a 10-15 min commute which does create issues.

Do you understand how real estate development works? Maybe we have a ton of nail places and mattress stores because they make bank and pay the asking rent? The demographics of college station are mostly people who are in town for 4-5 years and move a lot, and retired people. Do you think the 30,000 female college student population might be a reason we have more nail salons that make a killing than most other generic towns?

And to the Ann Arbor comparison.. it's not even close. They are a small town.. sure.. but their demographics aren't the same as a Texas town that is still trying to get out of the "cow town" identity it has had for most of its lifespan.
Cyp0111
I fully understand how commercial/retail development happens. My premise was that it was going to take a public/private partnership to get anything significant outside of the traditional suburban ghetto strip centers that is now most of BCS.

Century Square happened bc public/private partnership. COCS should actually focus on critical areas/focused investment over previous trends.
mazag08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I fully understand how commercial/retail development happens. My premise was that it was going to take a public/private partnership to get anything significant outside of the traditional suburban ghetto strip centers that is now most of BCS.

Century Square happened bc public/private partnership. COCS should actually focus on critical areas/focused investment over previous trends.

Those ghettos you are referring to are the reason you have any development in South College Station. A developer saw an area of potential and brought a development that matched the demographics. Just because you prefer luxury doesn't mean it's what's best everywhere. Strip centers represent the balance between highest and best use and market needs in most of the places you see them.

You can keep calling them ghettos as much as you want. But you'll keep proving that you are speaking with nothing but emotion and ignoring the very most basic principles of supply and demand.
Cyp0111
College Station doesnt have a cultural core. South College Station looks like Fairfield with slightly better elevation lines. It's convenient and serves a demographic but it doesnt have a feel. Its a Houston suburb. I fully understand how a developer would look at and develop a strip mall for basic uses. Granted, I'm not saying the people doing it are all that creative or dynamic in uses.

You look at other college towns. Fayetteville, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, and they have some version of an urban core near campus. Generally, they have heavy public/private infrastructure with multiple uses.

mazag08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

College Station doesnt have a cultural core. South College Station looks like Fairfield with slightly better elevation lines. It's convenient and serves a demographic but it doesnt have a feel. Its a Houston suburb. I fully understand how a developer would look at and develop a strip mall for basic uses. Granted, I'm not saying the people doing it are all that creative or dynamic in uses.

You look at other college towns. Fayetteville, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, and they have some version of an urban core near campus. Generally, they have heavy public/private infrastructure with multiple uses.

None of those places just recently stopped being a cow town with a majority rural population. The development here fits the demographics and is doing exactly what it was intended to do. New developments are coming in and doing what you would prefer. I don't see your issue other than you need to live in a place that is going to meet your desires.
BrandoC
AG
Because the campus was establish to butt up right next to the Bryan city line, you can only grow south and that is it. Its funky how the city is all set up but at this point there is literally nothing that can be done. College Station will never have the feel of other campuses because the campus will never be the central core.
bcstx06
What do you guys think of the new Atlas/Lake Walk area? I think that area has the potential to be an urban walkable destination. Although its in Bryan, its closer to campus then South College Station and i could see maybe a light rail or some other type of transportation linking that area with TAMU and the RELLIS Campus.

The developments going up in Northgate are nice, but without a street grid it will never be as urban as it could be.

Development in South College Station seems rushed and could have been a lot nicer if done in a town center type way, but it is what it is and its better than nothing. Look at North Bryan, it wishes that it could have half of what South College Station has.
bcstx06
BrandoC said:

Because the campus was establish to butt up right next to the Bryan city line, you can only grow south and that is it. Its funky how the city is all set up but at this point there is literally nothing that can be done. College Station will never have the feel of other campuses because the campus will never be the central core.
This is where Bryan could have really took a big gain if the city had continued the Northgate area with high dense mixed use developments. Maybe this is in the future for that area.
PS3D
A few notes:
- The new HEB will be 100k as per plans, which usually means it will be more upscale or a Plus! store
- Domino's has relocated to the Valley View location. The location near Deacon has closed.
FlyRod
Will this stop Greg D from ranting about how HEB is evil for not bringing a Central Market here?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
PS3D said:

A few notes:
- The new HEB will be 100k as per plans, which usually means it will be more upscale or a Plus! store
- Domino's has relocated to the Valley View location. The location near Deacon has closed.
i'll confess i haven't read this entire thread and my apologies for that but where is the new HEB coming?
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think in the new shopping center next to Koppe Bridge on Wellborn
Scotch
AG
BrandoC said:

Because the campus was establish to butt up right next to the Bryan city line, you can only grow south and that is it.

A&M was 4-5 miles south of Bryan. Bryan grew south and College Station luckily formed/incorporated before Bryan reached it.
Look Out Below
AG
SE corner of 2818 and Wellborn
redd38
AG
Anyone know what that freestanding set of stairs next to the Stella hotel are for?
CharlieBrown17
AG
redd38 said:

Anyone know what that freestanding set of stairs next to the Stella hotel are for?

Yeah those are odd. Looks like it has doorways built into the side at every level that go to nowhere.
halibut sinclair
It's an observation tower.

http://kbtx.upickem.net/engine/YourSubmission.aspx?contestid=320238
Aggie82x2
AG
It is a viewing tower...that you can help name. They are having a contest to name it. Also used for exercise so you have something to look forward to when you get to the top!
OnlyANobody
redd38 said:

Did anyone else sing "Stairway to Heaven" in their heads while reading this?
The Original AG 76
AG
nought said:

mazag08 said:

WTF do you expect them to build? College station is a suburban city without a downtown. It's history is in old school country taverns. Do you expect them to build skyscrapers? You're never going to get an inner city feel in a small town. Don't like it? Move.

Visit Ann Arbor, Michigan, to see a college town of a similar size that has far better variety and quality of shopping, restaurants, etc. Bryan and College Station together are actually larger than Ann Arbor by quite a bit, yet we seem to be stuck in chicken strip/drive-up bank/nail shop/pizza delivery/cheap-hair-salon hell except for a few bright spots here and there.

Ann Arbor, with a population of roughly 117,000, manages to have things like a vibrant restaurant scene, a massive children's museum, great chain options like P.F. Changs, etc.

What do I expect? I'd be happy with something even half as good as Ann Arbor.
Ann Arbor is a lot closer to Detroit than BCS is to Houston and is located on an interstate. I think a valid comparison is more like Sugarland or Friendswood/Pearland. And remember Detroit proper has collapsed with damn near all businesses and wealth moving to the outer fringes. Big difference between being 90 miles from the big city with , up until recently, crap roads connecting ( y'all remember what it was like to drive from Houston to BCS only 20-30 years ago...) and being 40 miles out on an interstate . Also a YUGE difference between the history of UM and TAMU. UM has been a huge mega-university for a hundred years with decades and decades of " high wealth" grads finding job ops within a few miles of campus. The Land Grant College simply does not have that history.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Tower McTowerface
TSJ
AG
bcstx06 said:

What do you guys think of the new Atlas/Lake Walk area? I think that area has the potential to be an urban walkable destination. Although its in Bryan, its closer to campus then South College Station and i could see maybe a light rail or some other type of transportation linking that area with TAMU and the RELLIS Campus.

I know I'd be ticked off if I lived in Traditions. Now there's a lot more traffic with university closed. You paid a premium to get away and now there's apartments near by.
FlyRod
Quote:

You paid a premium to get away and now there's apartments near by.

Good. Now the rich can put up with what the rest of us do.

LastHamlet
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

You paid a premium to get away and now there's apartments near by.

Good. Now the rich can put up with what the rest of us do.

KidDoc
AG
Good lord that sky tower is really ugly and I don't think it is going to age well. I can't believe that was approved.
Tailgate88
AG
Can someone post a pic of Tower McTowerface?
KidDoc
AG
turfman80
AG
Another potential family attraction

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.