BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

680,759 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

nought said:

Mooyah has some of the best fries and burgers in town and has great options for the burger.

Here's one of my favorites:

Burger on white bun, blue cheese, lettuce, fried onion strings, spicy ranch dressing.

Their hotdogs are excellent as well -- served cut in half lengthwise on a very tasty bun. Their chili cheese dog with fried onion strings on top is the best I've had.
ok, now i know where i'm eating lunch. been craving a good hot dog/chili dog for a couple of weeks now.
I have a lunch & learn lecture with med students at lunch maybe I can sneak over there and grab a dog before that. Thanks for the tip!
I got a Diablo Dog and pretty happy with it. Only $6.80 with no drink or fries. A bit heavy on the Jalapenos for my taste and the bottom bun was a bit cool but still a solid lunch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Hey Scruff ... I understand you will soon be able to purchase 3 Ramen burgers in a shrink pack from Dollar Tree. It will be over by their ribeyes. ENJOY.
Scruffy
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Hey Scruff ... I understand you will soon be able to purchase 3 Ramen burgers in a shrink pack from Dollar Tree. It will be over by their ribeyes. ENJOY.

Ooooh.

Sadly even that's too rich for my blood. I make my own with seaweed harvested at Galveston bay.
redd38
AG
A sign for El Loco Tacos just went up on Villa Maria across from HEB
rc_cat
Not a coming/going, but I'm pretty sure I noticed a sign at the Bryan Kroger that they're changing their hours to 6 am - 2 am. Someone correct me if I misread something.
Counterpoint
AG
rc_cat said:

Not a coming/going, but I'm pretty sure I noticed a sign at the Bryan Kroger that they're changing their hours to 6 am - 2 am. Someone correct me if I misread something.
Were they 24 hours before?
PS3D
Count Counterpoint said:

rc_cat said:

Were they 24 hours before?

They were indeed. I worked night shift there a few years ago. Unlike the CS H-E-B, even during the school year, they were completely dead from 2-5 am. I felt bad for the checker working the graveyard shift.

I don't think it means anything otherwise.

redd38 said:

At the old RadioShack (Taco Villa) building? Interesting if true.
redd38
AG
PS3D said:

redd38 said:

At the old RadioShack (Taco Villa) building? Interesting if true.

No, next to that, in that new shopping strip. I think the only other store in the strip right now is a mattress place.
eloc62
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

nought said:

Mooyah has some of the best fries and burgers in town and has great options for the burger.

Here's one of my favorites:

Burger on white bun, blue cheese, lettuce, fried onion strings, spicy ranch dressing.

Their hotdogs are excellent as well -- served cut in half lengthwise on a very tasty bun. Their chili cheese dog with fried onion strings on top is the best I've had.
ok, now i know where i'm eating lunch. been craving a good hot dog/chili dog for a couple of weeks now.
I always love a good hot dog place when they are done right. I have eaten there several times, but always went there with burgers on my mind. I like their burgers, so looking forward to giving their dogs a try! wish they served onion rings.
eloc62
anyone know when this Tad's Seafood place next to Lowe's in south CS is scheduled to open?
AggiePhil
AG
Isn't even built yet.
The Original AG 76
AG
AggiePhil said:

Isn't even built yet.
IF they are in the CS city limits.....4-5 years
Outside...... 6-12 months
txyaloo
AG
rc_cat said:

Rock Prairie Kroger is also changing its hours. Closing at 1am. It's too bad. I've been in there shopping multiple times after 1am and there was always a handful of customers
jja79
AG
And now you know why they're cutting back.
PS3D
Unlike H-E-B, the Kroger stores don't have the volume overnight. At 10pm, I can go in to Kroger quite easily and there's only a small handful of people (the experience is lovely, though the service departments are closed), but I can go to H-E-B at 10pm and it's significantly crowded.

I would rather have another non-24 hour grocery store than ones that are crowded during the daytime and empty at night.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
When I was younger, I worked the midnight to six shift at an H.E.B. a couple of times.

There were maybe a dozen customers after about 1am; most just buying one or two things. I'm not surprised to see Kroger close down. It really isn't worth it.
PS3D
GiveEmHellBill said:

When I was younger, I worked the midnight to six shift at an H.E.B. a couple of times.

There were maybe a dozen customers after about 1am; most just buying one or two things. I'm not surprised to see Kroger close down. It really isn't worth it.
Kroger's not closing, they have more than enough daytime traffic at their two locations to stay open. They had better not, the H-E-Bs are too crowded and no way would I want to hand over a total grocery monopoly to H-E-B.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I meant close down overnight. No need to stay open from 2am-6am. There's simply not enough traffic. If someone needs something and it's an emergency, there's always CVS, Walgreens or Walmart.
BrandoC
AG
So is Gander going out of business or not?
FILO505
AG
Yes. They're liquidating everything, then it's being rebranded as Gander Outdoors. It was bought by Camping World
Law361
AG
I assume that means massive discounts?
KidDoc
AG
BrandoC said:

So is Gander going out of business or not?
They had guys holding the everything must go type signs yesterday when we were heading to Abuelo's for dinner.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Gander is not managing the liquidation. All current inventory when camping world bought them was sold to a liquidator, once that stock is sold the ones slated to stay open will restructure and reopen.
FILO505
AG
My buddy said they'd get down to 90% at some point. Guns won't drop below 25%
dave99ag
AG
Stopped by Gander to take a look. Clothing is generally 20% off and my wife found a few items that were a decent price. I think guns were 5% off and most everything else was 10% off in that area. Didn't wander to fishing, but I'd imagine it has similar discounts.

You have to really hunt to find a good deal with these liquidations and Gander was already MSRP+++.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You'll just have to wait, the liquidator bought cheap and isn't going to just cut everything deep to get rid of it.
BCStalk
10% off of their 30% markup from anywhere else isn't a deal. I only bought from there because of the variety not the value. Just go next door to save money.
rocketscience
AG
http://trahanarchitects.com/work/college-station-boutique-hotel/

Not sure if this is happening or just a proposal...
Rexter
Well.... another person connected to St Joseph told me that CHI should be gone by October and the campus will go back to the Sisters......or TAMU will take over and run it as part of HSC.
rocketscience
AG
I have no knowledge of what is happening within CHI but I would find it hard to believe it would go back to the sisters as their community is aging and dying out rather quickly. I would like to see the HSC take it over as it would be a great revenue source to spur expansion of the HSC.
PS3D
CJHajda said:

http://trahanarchitects.com/work/college-station-boutique-hotel/

Not sure if this is happening or just a proposal...

Quote:

The hotel is sited in a vibrant part of the community which features a combination of businesses, student housing, religious institutions and an eclectic mix of restaurants and bars.

Sounds a lot like Northgate. Wonder if they'll put this where the old University Square shopping center was.
BlueMiles
AG
Was that the Albertson's shopping center?
rocketscience
AG
The best one can get from the renderings is that it would be on the block where St. Mary's Development Office and the southern half of the aesthetic garbage that is the Casa del Sol apartments
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
referencing a few posts earlier in the thread..

did get over to Mooyah today for their chili cheese dog. it was pretty good. idk if its the best in town as i'm not even entirely sure who else has em but its solid. unfortunately like the rest of Mooyah's menu though its kinda overpriced. i got a chili cheese dog, small fries, and drink for $11. i feel like a more appropriate value for that meal should be like $8 or $9 at the very most.
EBrazosAg
AG
While a nice idea with the HSC and St Joe - where does the money for it come from? I would think it would take quite a bit - and with the HSC talking about cutting medical student class size due to budget restrictions I think it's unlikely. Would also have something going through publicly in the Texas House or Senate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.