BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,540 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OnlyANobody said:

Chef Tai tweeted "Something exciting is coming to @KyleField_12th for this upcoming Football Season." He didn't elaborate.

Is he with Levy? If so I'm not buying.
OnlyANobody
I don't know about that part, because he didn't say what he's got going on. From volunteering at concessions, what I've seen is that the vendors inside work with Levy to be there. - To clarify, I haven't asked each one, but the ones I have spoken to do.
patrick.redmill
frito bandito said:

La Riviera on S. Texas Ave. in Bryan is closing. Today is the last day, per our server. Possible re-opening sometime in the future, in a College Station location.

I'm surprised it hung on as long as it did. It was easily the worst of "nice" restaurants in town, but their prices matched Christopher's. They are in need of a reboot in the worst possible way.

Sounds like they are addressing their worst problem, which was their huge, weirdly decorated, and almost always empty space. I'd give it another shot in a more appropriate space.
BryanPooch
Denny's in College Station will undergo renovation beginning Aug. 6. Supposed to reopen about two weeks later.

The draft beer cooler is out at Buffalo Wild Wings. They hope it is repaired by Tuesday, July 25 or so. In the interim the only drafts available are Miller Lite and Dos Equis, thanks to a temporary cooler supplied through their Miller sales force. Bartenders and managers are doing yeoman's service trying to keep some (very, very cold) draft flowing.

For this who use the Frequent Visitor cards at Chuys, the new cards require just six punches, rather than the previous ten, to get a free entree.
Broncos
Chuys has a frequent visitor card?
eloc62
FlyRod said:

Papa Murphy's Pizza in the Tejas Center has closed.
Sad to hear this. I really liked their pizza. they kept saying they were going to open a place in CS,, but never did. wonder if they would have made it in south CS?
BCStalk
If they didn't make it in their old location I would say no. They had a good product in the right spot. Don't really know what happened. Sad to see them gone.
UmustBKidding
Papa Murphys are closing in droves. Basically franchises are being forced to make expensive cosmetic upgrades, pay more into advertising pool, and offer some menu items below cost. So cheaper to bail than invest more and take a lower or no margin. Lots of this happening, suspect Dickies may have suffered similar fate, they are closing in droves after agreement changes.
Cyp0111
The fast service franchise game is going to really hurt people. Especially lower tier products like above mentioned.
BCSWguru
Chuys got rid of double stamps on Monday and Tuesday as a sort of compromise.
OnlyANobody
Franchisors are big on this kind of thing. They cut a deal with some vendor, promise 100% franchisee participation in exchange for a great deal to the company owned locations. Cosmetic upgrades every 2 or 3 years are being required and they hold the renewal of the franchisees' contracts over their heads. (this kind of thing even goes to choosing the credit card processor)

Additionally, they often make client offerings that are neither profitable nor beneficial for the franchisee, but go to the companies' shareholder reports as "increase in clients served".

And don't even get me started on encroachment on the franchisees' geographic territory with web-based offerings. That's a whole other can of worms. ....sorry for the derail.
FlyRod
It used to be argued by some on this board, that chains never close, and have staying power the local guys don't. I guess not.
BlueMiles
AG
Stickied! Thanks, Staff!
bcstx06
Wing Stop is adding a location at the Boonville Kroger Shopping Center.
Tailgate88
AG
Bahamas Bucks opening 7/31.

Anyone know what all the dirt work on Greens Prairie next to the Karate place is going to be? They just knocked down a ton of trees...
GunRangeGal
AG
Stylecraft is building around 75 homes there.
Slingshot73
What happened to Jimmy Changa's/ Gringos that was to be built by Salt grass Streakhouse?
TheAlarmGuy
Slingshot73 said:

What happened to Jimmy Changa's/ Gringos that was to be built by Salt grass Streakhouse?
next year
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
jaypop
I'm still disappointed that it is going to be a Gringo's and not a Jimmy Changas....
Cyp0111
Said no one ever. Gringo's is their premier brand.
jaypop
I will go there since it's basically the same food. Just wanted another family friendly option in South CS with a playground.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Great. Subpar cookie cutter Mexican food for white people. It will kill.
Cyp0111
lol. That is an interesting take.
CactusThomas
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

As a white guy with a taste for subpar food, that sounds delicious.
kraut
AG
CactusThomas said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

As a white guy with a taste for subpar food, that sounds delicious.
I, for one, welcome our new mexican food overlords.
FlyRod
Quote:

Come on...it will be every bit as good as parent company Saltgrass's steaks.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Come on...it will be every bit as good as parent company Saltgrass's steaks.
Gringo's is not a Landry's property.
FlyRod
PS3D
So, it looks like (and I may have heard this) but La Botana (George Bush) is closed, and it's becoming ...?
ChampsAg
Good Bull BBQ
Captn_Ag05
AG
TheAlarmGuy said:

Slingshot73 said:

next year

SIAP, but the design plans for the Gringos is online:

toolshed
AG
The Gringos in Cypress is family friendly and has a playground/ play area out front in the waiting area. Seems like it has all you request, unless the playground isn't typical of the other Gringos restaurants.
FlyRod
Actually their menu looks pretty good, with plenty of choices for those who like to eat unhealthy or healthy.
AggieAces06
AG
I had a day training out of town a few months ago. They had lunch catered by Gringos. That was some of the best fajita meat I have ever had! I am looking forward to this opening here!
Scruffy
AG
Earlier today I saw a taco "wagon" or small trailer that said "el Tio" on it.
Maybe they are branching out from the Bryan location.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.