BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

679,799 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was some facade work going on at the former Linens N Things, looks like interior work too (all lights on inside). I'm hoping that Sprouts changed its mind and is building there after all, but I think I may be getting my hopes up...
domedude
UmustBSmart Most of your info is correct except the dome cannot be a commercial fitness center for five years. There has already been interest for other uses. It would have been a great trampoline park; too bad there will soon be three in BCS. It will be a great building for the next tenant. Stay tuned.
Btw the equipment is being auctioned online starting soon and live 6/24. npsolutions.com
FILO505
AG
I can't remember if I heard it in here or somewhere else, but for some reason I thought I heard Fast Eddie's on University was closing. Anybody else hear this or am I thinking of something else?
Tailgate88
AG
Somebody posted that on page 27 of this thread.
FILO505
AG
Appreciate it. Sorry, my brain is fried today
OnlyANobody
It looks like they closed May 23.
FILO505
AG
The Facebook comments on their closing post says Poets bought it. Can anybody confirm?
taxpreparer
AG
Poets is one of my clients. I can confirm the purchase.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
BrandoC
AG
Can you explain why a billards bar is called Poets?
jrhmc
AG
BrandoC said:

Can you explain why a billards bar is called Poets?
It looks like an acronym on the sign and the website but I've always wondered what it stands for. Anyone know?
cledus6150
AG
It is moving to prospectors, already talked to them and their last weekend in Bryan will be the 15th.
newsjunkie
I've heard two version:

Piss On Everything Tomorrow's Sunday

and

Pool On Every Table Saturday
taxpreparer
AG
Not a clue. The current owners are not the originals. The original owner was a nice Greek gentleman who lives in Austin.
ChampsAg
So would POETS be moving or 2nd location?
taxpreparer
AG
I was told a second location, and more of a sports bar than the current location.
Drewmeister
AG
As mentioned a couple pages ago, Jin's on Northgate has closed. Fortunately I was able to get my Pad Thai fix at their other restaurant, He's Cafe* in Culpepper Plaza (the Kohl's shopping center -- it's still called that, right?). I asked the waitress about it but she didn't know much, just something about the building being old and the owner wanting to remodel (and no doubt raise the rent). With Lippman gone too, I wouldn't be surprised to see it bulldozed.

*He's was formerly Jin's #2... I went there shortly after the name change and was surprised to see the same menu. They said there were too many people calling in orders and trying to pick them up at Northgate, so they renamed the new (now only) restaurant.
eloc62
Saw that APEX Martial Arts Academy opened up today in the former Nicks Nick Nack's furniture building on Harvey Mitchell Pkwy.
AggiePhil
AG
Drew's Car Wash coming to Tower Point.
meezermom
I hope it works better than the Drew's on University. Paid $10 to go through and the whole right side of my car was still dirty at the end.

I really miss the car wash that burned down near the Kroger gas station on Rock Prairie. That one at least worked!
95_Aggie
AG
It used to be Nail Salons and Subways. Now its car washes.
KidDoc
AG
meezermom said:

I hope it works better than the Drew's on University. Paid $10 to go through and the whole right side of my car was still dirty at the end.

I really miss the car wash that burned down near the Kroger gas station on Rock Prairie. That one at least worked!
I agree on Drew's on University. Really poor car wash on the automated.

The Aggieland Express wash over near Castle Gate is pretty awesome though. Very happy with that just not cheap.
edit: spelling issues
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
I am a little surprised Drew"s is going in with Aggieland just down the road. They do a great job.
Jetty
AG
Looked in the window of Carps yesterday's- very little progress. Workmen working on space right next door. The man I asked said it was going to be a cigar shop.
bonfiresmoke
I heard that Cavalier Cigars was opening in that space next to Carps. I cannot wait. I sure hope he keeps a better stock and broadens his selection in the new shop.
PS3D
Drewmeister said:

As mentioned a couple pages ago, Jin's on Northgate has closed. Fortunately I was able to get my Pad Thai fix at their other restaurant, He's Cafe* in Culpepper Plaza (the Kohl's shopping center -- it's still called that, right?). I asked the waitress about it but she didn't know much, just something about the building being old and the owner wanting to remodel (and no doubt raise the rent). With Lippman gone too, I wouldn't be surprised to see it bulldozed.

*He's was formerly Jin's #2... I went there shortly after the name change and was surprised to see the same menu. They said there were too many people calling in orders and trying to pick them up at Northgate, so they renamed the new (now only) restaurant.
I seem to recall that He's Cafe was Ping's Buffet. I don't ever remember it being Jin's #2. The former Jin's and Lippman building is probably on track to being demolished, as well as the former Notes N Quotes building serving as apartment leasing.
Tailgate88
AG
Yeah, smart money is on that. Landlord jacked their rent up to the point where they couldn't afford to say, then he'll sell the building to a developer, or bulldoze it and start over. Those buildings are OLD.
Drewmeister
AG
After Ping's closed it was vacant a little while, then it reopened as Jin's #2 (although I think the building signage just said Jin's, #2 was only on the menus). It was not very long before they renamed it to He's.

I'll miss the $5 to-go hot lunch from the Northgate Jin's...
PS3D
Tailgate88 said:

Yeah, smart money is on that. Landlord jacked their rent up to the point where they couldn't afford to say, then he'll sell the building to a developer, or bulldoze it and start over. Those buildings are OLD.
Not that the building was well maintained to begin with (it was built in the 1960s). The fire started with a light fixture malfunction (and from what I remember, the ceiling where it was was incredibly dirty), probably collected a good sum of money in insurance, caused Lippman and Jin's a good deal of trouble, and then when it was replaced, they didn't even bother matching the paint, or re-painting everything.
patrick.redmill
PS3D said:

I seem to recall that He's Cafe was Ping's Buffet. I don't ever remember it being Jin's #2.

Yeah, He's Cafe is effectively Jin's #2. They had a temporary "Jin's 2" sign up for a couple of weeks. Their "About" page on the website says as much, too.
Justin2010
AG
What's going in next to Christ UMC?
AggiePhil
AG
Retirement community.
AggiePhil
AG
Spider Smart learning center coming to Tower Point by Anytime Fitness.
gunan01
AG
Saw the sign for Cloud 9 Baby was taken down- was located next to Shannon Morton Photography off the highway in south CS. Not sure if moving or went out of business.
Broncos
I heard a rumor that a wing stop is moving in to the Kroger sopping center on Boonville.
AggiePhil
AG
It was for sale for the longest time. Perhaps no one bought it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.