BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,868 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Their name is Gringo's. That should tell you all you need to know.

And they'll do a booming business I'm sure.
DBSwooper
DBSwooper said:

rockelle said:

Tune Up : The Manly Salon open next to Mad Taco on University

https://twitter.com/aggiestuneup
Real licensed barbers or stylists? It sounds interesting if they have real barbers so they can use a straight razor for the edges, etc.
I asked on Twitter and they said they have A barber during what appears to be limited availability. It'll have to be something special to get me to switch from Chuy, but it'll also have to wait a couple of more weeks until I'm due for a trim.

Broncos
DBSwooper said:

DBSwooper said:

rockelle said:

Tune Up : The Manly Salon open next to Mad Taco on University

https://twitter.com/aggiestuneup
Real licensed barbers or stylists? It sounds interesting if they have real barbers so they can use a straight razor for the edges, etc.
I asked on Twitter and they said they have A barber during what appears to be limited availability. It'll have to be something special to get me to switch from Chuy, but it'll also have to wait a couple of more weeks until I'm due for a trim.

If anyone goes here I'd like to know how it is. Might give them a try.
FlyRod
Quote:

Blank stares when you ask for hot sauce that's actually hot?
deh40
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

The food at the two are comparable, with Gringos edging Chuys out a bit. Gringos is a lot more expensive, though.

The service is better at Gringos, but not by that much. The servers are dressed nicer, so it feels nicer.

Of course, I'm referring to servers from Houston, not college kids from BCS. Service in the entirety of this community can be spotty a little more often because of the college kid factor.
I've eaten at both many times and did not find Gringo's to be more expensive. I would agree the food is comparable. From the video, this one looks much nicer than the ones I have been to.
jja79
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Blank stares when you ask for hot sauce that's actually hot?
Have you had the green sauce at Mi Pueblito? There won't be anything like that at Gringo's.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Hows the jalapeo ranch at Gringos?
Gigem314
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

The food at the two are comparable, with Gringos edging Chuys out a bit. Gringos is a lot more expensive, though.

The service is better at Gringos, but not by that much. The servers are dressed nicer, so it feels nicer.

Of course, I'm referring to servers from Houston, not college kids from BCS. Service in the entirety of this community can be spotty a little more often because of the college kid factor.
Having come from Houston a few years ago, I actually don't notice much of a difference in service quality. Different demographics, but in some cases I find the 'college kid' servers here to be a lot more friendly.

Gringos is going to KILL IT in College Station. I think it will instantly become one of the top Tex-Mex locations in town. Very excited we ended up with a Gringos instead of Jimmy Changas. They're both good, but Gringos is a nice step up.

I've met the CEO, Russell Ybarra. He's a great guy.
Aggie
AG
I'm not a fan at all of Chuy's.
Very happy to see we're getting a Gringo's.. Better food and better atmosphere (the new ones) than chuy's

Honestly for my family Gringo's has overtaken pappasitos as our go to Houston Mexican restaurant

amanda04
AG
Back to comings and goings, there's a sign up where the Oriental Market was in Bryan about a doughnut company coming soon!
Scotch
AG
Next to the KFC? That used to be a do-nut place about 30 or so years ago.
amanda04
AG
That's the one! I never knew that!
eloc62
New Grand Mac at McDonalds. I grew up in the 70's and ate at McDonalds often. I do not eat there any more except for maybe once a year when i get a big mac just for old times sake. I do get my morning coffee there everyday. keep seeing this new burger on the menu board. bigger patties, more meat. some warm, happy feeling in my memory bank is telling me to try it, just for old times sake. trying to resist. maybe, just once?
PS3D
amanda04 said:

Back to comings and goings, there's a sign up where the Oriental Market was in Bryan about a doughnut company coming soon!
Guess it won't reopen as Oriental Market ever again. Pity.
redd38
AG
eloc62 said:

New Grand Mac at McDonalds. I grew up in the 70's and ate at McDonalds often. I do not eat there any more except for maybe once a year when i get a big mac just for old times sake. I do get my morning coffee there everyday. keep seeing this new burger on the menu board. bigger patties, more meat. some warm, happy feeling in my memory bank is telling me to try it, just for old times sake. trying to resist. maybe, just once?

I tried it, it was not good. I feel like the ratio of ingredients isn't the same as a classic Big Mac which makes it taste significantly worse.
LeftField
My wife filled out the curbside order form online for Tower Point HEB and when she went to submit, it said pickup would be available 2 days later. She expected a couple of hours, maybe. So she printed out the shopping cart list and we went to the HEB at Texas and Holleman. We noticed the price on almost everything was about 4-5 cents cheaper at the Holleman location. Is that because of the curbside pickup or is Tower Point always higher?
eloc62
redd38 said:

eloc62 said:

I tried it, it was not good. I feel like the ratio of ingredients isn't the same as a classic Big Mac which makes it taste significantly worse.
yeah, that's what i figured. the craving is now gone. thanks.
SchnauzerMom
Prices at TP could be a few cents higher due to demographics, but the Curbside prices are higher than normal store prices. I was going to do it one day, but decided a $4.99 fee on top of higher prices wasn't worth it.
Great CaesarsGhost
AG
SIAP

Anyone know what is going in at the new building where the old Putt Putt location was (next to the bike shop)?
MiMi
S
Quote:

Anyone know what is going in at the new building where the old Putt Putt location was (next to the bike shop)?
Domino's. Eat in dining room aka 'Pizza Theater'
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
For those wanting to try the curbside, be aware that your first 5 trips are free. They waive the $4.99 curbside fee when you check out. I've used it 4 times now and they are always fast attentive and almost always have my pick up ready well ahead of schedule. They also have yet to make a mistake on an order. That is what I feared the most when I first tried it. Great new service for those who want to save 1-2 hrs out of their day for those big shopping trips.
duffelpud
AG
Hooters is going in at Boonville Crossing near Premier Cinema.
Athendor
AG
Any word if the Aldis is planning to expand to fill the rest of that building they are in? I had heard someone say as much. I do all my grocery shopping there so that would be pretty exciting.
K2T2
Washbanger's is opening up a breakfast place in south College Station - chicken fried tofu!!!!!!!!
halibut sinclair
jkuneyl said:

Any word if the Aldis is planning to expand to fill the rest of that building they are in? I had heard someone say as much. I do all my grocery shopping there so that would be pretty exciting.
No, Urban Air trampoline park is going in the other half of the old Village Foods.
Barry Potter 09
For those who misses GranDandy's Pizza, they posted on Facebook that they are changing their name to Howdy's Pizza More information will be coming soon.
halibut sinclair
duffelpud said:

link?
CWIsom
Next To A Middle School??????
Tailgate88
AG
Barry Potter 09 said:

For those who misses GranDandy's Pizza, they posted on Facebook that they are changing their name to Howdy's Pizza More information will be coming soon.
So....does Gumby's still own it? Menu changing? Ownership changing?
Aggie
AG
That place changes names/ ownership about once a year
Aggie
AG
duffelpud said:

Not a huge hooters fan but I'll believe that when I see it.
Only a matter of time before some other sensitive souls who need a safe place try to block them from opening.
PS3D
Tailgate88 said:

Barry Potter 09 said:

So....does Gumby's still own it? Menu changing? Ownership changing?

As I understand it, the former owners of Gumby's split ways and GranDandy's and Gumby's were independently owned and operated. The conversion of GranDandy's back to a Gumby's was an invoked clause when the restaurants split. It's complicated.

Aggie said:

duffelpud said:

Not a huge hooters fan but I'll believe that when I see it.
Only a matter of time before some other sensitive souls who need a safe place try to block them from opening.

The first time Hooters tried to open in Bryan was close to 10 years ago right when the economy started to falter, and frankly, everyone has seen restaurants struggle in that center. The second time it was a request from tenants in the shopping center, not anything these imaginary "sensitive souls" you're referring to.
TicoLoco
Aggie82x2 said:

Gonna start hounding Trader Joe's now that I'm living here. Should be enticing for them with no Whole Foods or Central Market. Close to their Houston distribution area it would be an easy drive for their trucks. With their prices & marketing style it is a natural fit for this college town! Can you imagine how much Two Buck Chuck they would sell??!!!

Go visit their website and send them a request please! Let's get TJ's Flyer Club here!
http://traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request
Heard from a pretty reliable source (business owner in same center) that there is talks about opening a Trader Joes in the same center as Grub and Willie's on University Dr. They are going to construct a new building for it near the back. Also, Jamba Juice is getting a drive thru.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Agreed on both accounts. Do not understand the facination with the hooters restaurants
momlaw
AG
30+ year TJ customer.

Spoke with a Houston area manager in December. She said sooner rather than later and she would like to mange the store here.

Reiterated point that our official demographics do not reflect the out of town resident students who have seemingly limitless financial parental support.

Manager at another Houston store echoed TJ has learned this in another SEC community and is mitigating their parameters.

Evidently valuable points to make in the online submission.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.