BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,673 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will that become known as the row of mediocrity?
KidDoc
AG
jja79 said:

Will that become known as the row of mediocrity?
I've never had Gringos so will reserve judgement but Salt Grass is pretty consistently great. I don't usually get steak there but I have had pretty outstanding pork chops, chicken, shrimp, ribs. I know it is cool & trendy to trash chain restaurants but I've never been disappointed with this Salt Grass.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
carpe vinum
AG
Salt Grass isn't bad, I don't know anything about Gringo's.
Really looking forward to the Brazillian place.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
jja79
AG
I was actually being facetious. Salt grass is fine with me. The comment was more aimed at the typica putting l chain down.

Gringos lives up to its name though. If you like mild you'll love it.
KidDoc
AG
jja79 said:

I was actually being facetious. Salt grass is fine with me. The comment was more aimed at the typica putting l chain down.

Gringos lives up to its name though. If you like mild you'll love it.
Ug that doesn't sound good. I'm definitely a spice lover I like getting a little forehead sweat when eating. Ah well at least Mad Taco 2 will be in the same area.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Cooking for friends and family is easy. Making money at it whilst serving the public is an art.

And, pretty well fighting a losing battle, thanks to Yelp and sites like this where self-proclaimed foodies take you to task over whatever has their man-bun twisted a little too tight.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Legacy at Longmire Executive Suites are now open across from FedEx.

I know there was a thread a while back about there not being enough small conference options in town well this includes conference space for rent and mail receiving services too.
agfan92
AG
"And, pretty well fighting a losing battle, thanks to Yelp and sites like this where self-proclaimed foodies take you to task over whatever has their man-bun twisted a little too tight."

So, so accurate.
I am a beer
MiMi said:

Quote:

Anybody know what the construction is on Longmire near Bridle Trails? I know someone asked previously, but there were no answers, so I thought I'd ask a second time.
Charter school
Do you have any other information on this? or Anyone?
Ratsa
The College Station new development listing says it is going to be International Leadership of Texas school. I looked at their website, and it looks like they have a Spanish/English dual language program starting in kinder, and also teach Mandarin.
double b
AG
Just a heads up. Avant Garde - College Prep Services has moved their office from the West side of Bryan to 3206 Longmire Drive and are close to the Rock Prairie intersection. They've moved to better position themselves to meet their clientele needs.

They offer SAT & ACT test prep, college application and essay preparation, and college prep consultation.
halibut sinclair
Grand Stafford is closing at the end of this month.
Love Gun
halibut sinclair said:

Grand Stafford is closing at the end of this month.

Hopefully, they'll rebound because it's a great concert venue. I guess too many death metal and punk shows did it in.
carpe vinum
AG
I guess they want to focus on the Ice House?
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
FlyRod
I don't think I've ever been this upset about a local business closing. Ugh. Saw so many friends play there...a few of who have gone on to become big names. That's it for indie bands in this town.
nashvilleaggie11
I told you guys last month that the Stafford was closing
eloc62
Went out to eat at Outback tonight. Hadn't been there in a couple of years. The lack of people there was weird. maybe 20% full. does anybody eat there anymore? I remember 10 yrs ago that was the go to place, but that was then, this is now. so many other places to eat. are they falling by the wayside?
toolshed
AG
We've eaten there a couple times recently and they were almost full but no wait. We went specifically because it's out of the way of the newer busy places but still a good place to eat.
FlyRod
Just a guess, but like the Bennigan's and TGIFridays that closed, it's kind of a dated concept.

I'm still (happily) amazed that they guy who ran that place went on to achieve fame and fortune nation wide with Grub.
australopithecus robustus
It's a tired concept that was never good, they just didn't have any competition.

There's also way too many restaurants in town now. There will be many closings to continue for some time.
K2T2
FlyRod said:

I don't think I've ever been this upset about a local business closing. Ugh. Saw so many friends play there...a few of who have gone on to become big names. That's it for indie bands in this town.
The Stafford (as far as people) is moving to the Ice House - there will still be a larger fancy venue downtown for live music. The Stafford (the building) has been sold, and is likely turning into something other than a music venue. I played my last Stafford show on Sunday and felt no feels, but I will cry and buy the bar if Rev is ever threatened with closing. It does far more for indie bands than the current iteration of the Stafford.
FlyRod
Rev's has its place, but it is way, way too small to be anything more than a "Hey my roommate just learned to play guitar and would love to try it out in front of an audience" kind of place. Bar is pretty "meh."
PS3D
eloc62 said:

Went out to eat at Outback tonight. Hadn't been there in a couple of years. The lack of people there was weird. maybe 20% full. does anybody eat there anymore? I remember 10 yrs ago that was the go to place, but that was then, this is now. so many other places to eat. are they falling by the wayside?
Outback sort of declined in quality and value, too, over the years. The other problem is just the shift of restaurants. At one time, that section of Texas Avenue was where all the (few) chain restaurants were (Olive Garden, Fuddruckers were others) with other restaurants further down the block. But today, Texas Avenue in College Station doesn't have the sit-down places like it used to. Kettle is still there but who knows for how long (it was a chain but now the College Station one is one of the very last stores in existence), Fort Shiloh is long-gone, Confucius Chinese Cuisine is long gone, Olive Garden packed up after it burned down, Fuddruckers left years ago for new digs on Harvey Road, Pelican's Wharf and the restaurants that succeeded it is gone. All that's really left on Texas Avenue is fast food type places (DQ, McDonald's, CFA, JBX, Panda Express). Today, the big chain restaurants are closer to the bypass or corridors like University or Harvey.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Will the Ice House be a music venue? I thought it was going to be a private event space.
PS3D
Also don't forget the Microtel Inn off Ponderosa and Hwy. 6 in terms of new hotels coming.
redchapterjubilee
The Ice House will be a mixed use venue. Banquets, meetings, weddings, as well as the capacity to be a large music venue with a flat floor. It remains to be seen if Advent will actually use that space regularly for music shows like it did The Stafford. I don't think they rightly know that answer yet. They wanted to keep the Grand Stafford going but the owner was done and wanted to be rid of the building. Advent couldn't afford to buy it.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

Also don't forget the Microtel Inn off Ponderosa and Hwy. 6 in terms of new hotels coming.
Ah, the Ponderosa (before it became a Howard Johnson property). One of College Station's finer hotels. I guess that's still a good location.
rocketscience
AG
The Ice House will also have a restaurant run by Ronin Cooking in it.

http://www.ronincooking.com/the-restaurant-1
Beau Bevers
AG
Man, I miss Confucius.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Thanks for for the info on the Ice House.

Lake Walk has "Coming Soon" signs for two spots- Jenny Tamplin, which I think is an interior design service, and Coterie, which may be a boutique, but not totally sure.
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Texas Avenue in College Station doesn't have the sit-down places like it used to

On the Border
World of Beer
Lupe Tortilla
Napa Flats
Harvey Washbanger's
Chili's
Applebee's

Close, but in Bryan:
Frittella
Cafe Eccel

plus others.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think the conversation was referring to Texas Ave. south of Holleman and north of 2818
Captn_Ag05
AG
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but saw an article on the A&M Real Estate Center blog about Parc at Traditions now leasing:

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/news/newstalk-texas/?Item=17712

Quote:

Located at 3095 Club Dr. on a 14-acre, wooded site, the community will feature 91 independent living, 44 assisted-living and 24 memory care units.
This price-point will be on the high-end, but I am glad to see a property like this in town.

I do wonder as BCS grows and has increased amenities, if the area would be an attractive location in the future for independent living communities for baby boomers. The low cost of living and access to quality health facilities would make me think it could possibly be, especially for older Ags.
Scruffy
AG
Under the etc. part of this thread,
I would like to let everyone know that this thread is at the top of the forum and won't be moving until staff unstickies it.

There have been rumors of it failing or going away, but it's not.
I hope that clears up some confusion.
Psychag
AG
When will 4 down sports bar be open to public? Seems odd to hear Belina advertising this place, but not open. We need better Sports Bars. Heard Walk On's to be opening...that would be cool. Oh, yea, I guess we can continue to wait with anticipation for Carp's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.