BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,803 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That seems like an odd/large space for a Trader Joes.
Kbeauty63
AG
I don't know..there is one in Houston inside the loop in an old theater that is pretty big (and really cool!) I think that would be a great location for TJ - that area needs another grocery store.
PS3D
Kbeauty63 said:

I don't know..there is one in Houston inside the loop in an old theater that is pretty big (and really cool!) I think that would be a great location for TJ - that area needs another grocery store.
The Trader Joe's is 12,000 square feet. The Kroger is about 45,000 square feet (if I recall correctly, I don't have the PDF in front of me). And let's not get started on the demographics.

It's not coming to that location unless there was some sort of incentive like not paying taxes on the space for years.

Rapier108 said:

Looks like all Stripes and Sunoco stores will become 7-Elevens.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2017/04/06/7-eleven-buys-1110-stores-sunoco-33-billion-deal

Cool, if they don't touch the former Chicks there at the highway, we could have the distinction of the largest 7-Eleven in the world.
nought
AG
Kbeauty63 said:

That one is in an "advantaged" part of Houston, unlike the old Kroger's by SW Pkwy/Texas which is more of a disadvantaged part of town.
95_Aggie
AG
I don't see that neighborhood demographic supporting a Trader Joes
Cyp0111
Around campus would be best given demographics. Considering all the student housing coming online it has a rather dense population footprint.
PS3D
Cyp0111 said:

Around campus would be best given demographics. Considering all the student housing coming online it has a rather dense population footprint.
If there was a Trader Joe's in town, there would only be three places where I can see it realistically succeeding:

1) Century Square
2) Atlas
3) That undeveloped space behind the restaurants at University and Tarrow

A distant fourth would be Caprock Crossing but not until it reaches critical mass with more southern development.
95_Aggie
AG
So you are saying it would succeed in Atlas but not south College Station?
DBSwooper
PS3D said:

Kbeauty63 said:

The Trader Joe's is 12,000 square feet. The Kroger is about 45,000 square feet (if I recall correctly, I don't have the PDF in front of me)...

Kind of like the old Appletree on Texas at Harvey...we now have the technology to erect walls inside, so they could reconfigure the space.

I'm not saying that a TJ is going in there, just that comparing current configured square footage with what they would typically use probably wouldn't as big of a deal.
Cyp0111
I think the only area even remotely in consideration would be Century Square.
jac4
AG
Cyp0111 said:

In your unbiased opinion, is Century Square the single greatest development ever conceived by God or man?
armymom
To me Century Square looks like a nightmare that I will never want to get close to. I'll stick with South College Station.
KidDoc
AG
armymom said:

To me Century Square looks like a nightmare that I will never want to get close to. I'll stick with South College Station.
I think it is going to be amazing and cannot wait for it to go live.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Look Out Below
AG
I think it will be both a nightmare and amazing. On the plus side, it will cull traffic elsewhere.
Cyp0111
Given College Stations propensity for Katy level strip mall development, yes, it's the first worthwhile development in the history of college station. Everything else is suburban ghetto.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Finally stopped by The Remnant From Nawlins on the way home from work. Very good food
australopithecus robustus
I think it's going to be very nice but will take many years to realize its potential. I also think locals will be very wary of going there because of its proximity to Northgate and campus.
Geralt of Rivia
S
With the new PetSmart having opened up in south CS, I have very few reasons to ever drive down University given how busy it is all the time. Especially the University/Texas intersection
My point exactly. To boot, rent for Porter's Steakhouse for example will be probably $22k-$30k/month. College Station simply doesn't support those numbers.
CEAg78
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

I think it's going to be very nice but will take many years to realize its potential. I also think locals will be very weary of going there because of its proximity to Northgate and campus.
weary before it even opens?

OR wary?
Haha correct. Thanks. Got that edited
Cyp0111
It will be interesting to see. I do agree porters price point will be challenging for day to day.
montegobay
Tried the Tipsy Bean tonight! Excellent wines and cheese! We will definitely be back to try the coffee. Thanks for opening a great place in the south!
Fis4Favorite
did they have any of a beer selection for those who are with people drinking wine and do not care for it?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I see Century Square as more of a lodging/entertainment/dining spot instead of a destination to buy groceries.
FlyRod
Quote:

did they have any of a beer selection for those who are with people drinking wine and do not care for it?

Yes. Someone posted a pic on Yelp of their craft beer selection.
mazag08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Given College Stations propensity for Katy level strip mall development, yes, it's the first worthwhile development in the history of college station. Everything else is suburban ghetto.

WTF do you expect them to build? College station is a suburban city without a downtown. It's history is in old school country taverns. Do you expect them to build skyscrapers? You're never going to get an inner city feel in a small town. Don't like it? Move.

Residents on this board ***** every year about the lack of upscale and fancy development. Now you get stuff that fits with the city demographics and it's all just "suburban trash". Give me a break.
FlyRod
Everybody stop asking for nice things!
KidDoc
AG
mazag08 said:

Cyp0111 said:

WTF do you expect them to build? College station is a suburban city without a downtown. It's history is in old school country taverns. Do you expect them to build skyscrapers? You're never going to get an inner city feel in a small town. Don't like it? Move.

Residents on this board ***** every year about the lack of upscale and fancy development. Now you get stuff that fits with the city demographics and it's all just "suburban trash". Give me a break.
I think he was referring to the William Fitch area as "suburban ghetto" as opposed to Century Square which is a bit more of an upscale and interesting development. I could be wrong though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nought
AG
mazag08 said:

Visit Ann Arbor, Michigan, to see a college town of a similar size that has far better variety and quality of shopping, restaurants, etc. Bryan and College Station together are actually larger than Ann Arbor by quite a bit, yet we seem to be stuck in chicken strip/drive-up bank/nail shop/pizza delivery/cheap-hair-salon hell except for a few bright spots here and there.

Ann Arbor, with a population of roughly 117,000, manages to have things like a vibrant restaurant scene, a massive children's museum, great chain options like P.F. Changs, etc.

What do I expect? I'd be happy with something even half as good as Ann Arbor.
95_Aggie
AG
Isn't Ann Arbor actually a suburb of Detroit?
nought
AG
AGnCS said:

Isn't Ann Arbor actually a suburb of Detroit?
About as much as College Station is a suburb of Houston. Ann Arbor is a bit closer to Detroit than we are to Houston, but it isn't like people in Detroit are flocking to Ann Arbor to go out to eat. The dining scene there is local.
Cyp0111
AA is a good town but part of a larger Metro which allows some retailers to stretch. AA has done a fanstastic job of creating a unique city feel in a small town.

My comments were not against Century Square, its against development in BCS as a whole, which, to date, requires a mattress store, nail salon, phone store and chicken finger joint to be developed.

The city as a whole has done a terrible job of ushering in sustainable, development that creates any resemblance of a community. Hence the suburban ghetto comment.

I'm hoping Century Square provides the impetus for a true urbanized development. Granted, many townies on this thread freak out at the thought of a 10-15 min commute which does create issues.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

The city as a whole has done a terrible job of ushering in sustainable, development that creates any resemblance of a community
Don't forget that this community is very conservative and against spending any kind of tax dollars on that kind of thing. Plus it helps to have access to an interstate which AA seems to be surrounded by.
PS3D
AGnCS said:

Quote:

The city as a whole has done a terrible job of ushering in sustainable, development that creates any resemblance of a community
Don't forget that this community is very conservative and against spending any kind of tax dollars on that kind of thing. Plus it helps to have access to an interstate which AA seems to be surrounded by.

The downtown area is pretty well integrated with the campus, and to be fair, CS has sunk a lot of money into Northgate with mixed results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.