BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

679,745 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

unrealistic requests like Whole Foods, Top Golf, and Texas de Brazil.

Except that we have, and continue to get businesses that even 1-2 years ago were considered "unrealistic"...ergo, such requests are perfectly realistic.

BCS continues to grow, and money continues to come here...more and more upscale businesses are following. The median house price continues to skyrocket. So its quite reasonable to roll one's eyes and harumph at yet another low-grade crap business like Panda Express, or some mediocre chain that would be right at home in Blytheville Arkansas.
TXCityGirl
I heard that HEB has secured land on Wellborn Rd for a new store! Praying that this is true. Anyone have details on this amazing news?
PS3D
FlyRod said:

Quote:

unrealistic requests like Whole Foods, Top Golf, and Texas de Brazil.

Except that we have, and continue to get businesses that even 1-2 years ago were considered "unrealistic"...ergo, such requests are perfectly realistic.

Like what? The only notable examples that come to mind (that actually opened, rumors don't count) are Nothing Bundt Cakes and First Watch in 2016, with World of Beer in 2015.
PS3D
Rexter said:

PS3D said:

What's the hotel being built next to the north Bryan Denny's and Chevron?

Uhhhh.....doncha know that would be a La Quinta?

That's what La Quinta means in English.....Denny's next door.
It's actually a Sleep Inn.
FlyRod
Quote:

Like what? The only notable examples that come to mind (that actually opened, rumors don't count) are Nothing Bundt Cakes and First Watch in 2016, with World of Beer in 2015.

Cavalry Court. Pappadeux. West End and Rough Draft, two very nice ADULT places on Northgate. The activity at the Ice House in Bryan, esp. Ronin. Perhaps not "upscale" but definitely NICER than what was here before.

I realize there is tension between those who want this area to remain rinky-dink and those who want progress, but I suspect progress is winning that fight. Nice things keep coming here. Its realistic to expect more of them.
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

FlyRod said:

How about all the businesses going in at Century Square and the re-developed Chimney Hill?
PS3D
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Cavalry Court. Pappadeux. West End and Rough Draft, two very nice ADULT places on Northgate. The activity at the Ice House in Bryan, esp. Ronin. Perhaps not "upscale" but definitely NICER than what was here before.

I realize there is tension between those who want this area to remain rinky-dink and those who want progress, but I suspect progress is winning that fight. Nice things keep coming here. Its realistic to expect more of them.
I don't think another PE on the edge of town is "rinky dink". Nothing new (for a long time, there WAS nothing new at Tower Point that wasn't available elsewhere). The main "core" of College Station does seem to be getting stuff (Mad Taco was a fairly welcome arrival, and probably closer to the wish of chef-driven high-quality local restaurants). While Cavalry Court is something new (it's really just a hotel), in regards to Pappadeaux I'll believe it when I see it. The other two bars, I suppose, are nice, but I don't think that's what people who complain about PE really want to see.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TXCityGirl said:

I heard that HEB has secured land on Wellborn Rd for a new store! Praying that this is true. Anyone have details on this amazing news?

They have land all around the area. I heard that they have 5-10 properties in Dallas but they're just trying to decide where to build. Doesn't mean that much
FlyRod
Quote:

I don't think another PE on the edge of town is "rinky dink". Nothing new (for a long time, there WAS nothing new at Tower Point that wasn't available elsewhere). The main "core" of College Station does seem to be getting stuff (Mad Taco was a fairly welcome arrival, and probably closer to the wish of chef-driven high-quality local restaurants). While Cavalry Court is something new (it's really just a hotel), in regards to Pappadeaux I'll believe it when I see it. The other two bars, I suppose, are nice, but I don't think that's what people who complain about PE really want to see.

The general trend at Tower Point is at least borderline rinky-dink. Nothing but chains and fast food. No real destination sit-down restaurants, with the possible exception of Kamei. No adult oriented bars, as many on this board have noted.

I agree that TRULY high end expectations are probably unreasonable...
acephotographer
Cartridge World has closed.

Sign on the door.

nought
AG
PS3D said:

NellCote71 said:

AggiePhil said:

Panda Express rumored to be coming to Tower Point.
Ugh. I guess we still can't have nice things.
Sometimes I wonder about these types of posters, whether they're being sarcastic or just love to complain, because every time some thread comes up about what you'd really like to see, you'll see unrealistic requests like Whole Foods, Top Golf, and Texas de Brazil.
Panda Express? The Taco Bell of Chinese food?

Do people really think the neighborhoods surrounding Tower Point can't support at least a Pei Wei, not to mention a P.F. Chang's?

But hey, no, load up TP with McDonald's, Taco Bell, multiple cellphone stores, multiple nail salons, and keep things rinky dink next to some of the most affluent neighborhoods in town.
FlyRod
Cyp0111
Century Square should add most higher end items the city is after.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
acephotographer said:

Sign on the door.

oh wow, i used them a lot.

does anyone else in town do this kinda thing?
nought
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Let's put all the high-end stuff next to the students who want stuff like Panda Express, Taco Bell, etc. Let's put Taco Bell, Panda Express, etc. next to the well-to-do family neighborhoods who want sit-down restaurants.
CDub06
AG
acephotographer said:

Sign on the door.

This sign amuses me with its weirdness.

We will be closed on Dec 31.
Oh, and all of the other days too. Thanks!
KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

The general trend at Tower Point is at least borderline rinky-dink. Nothing but chains and fast food. No real destination sit-down restaurants, with the possible exception of Kamei. No adult oriented bars, as many on this board have noted.

I agree that TRULY high end expectations are probably unreasonable...
I think Mad Taco is going to be hugely successful out there once they open with a larger location and larger porch.

I agree the only sit down restaurant currently is the sushi place near HEB (which is pretty dang good), chef chao, Saltgrass and I guess Luigi and Azure if you extend to Rock Prairie.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cyp0111
You do realize that the development will rely heavily on business and sport stays associated with the university and thus draw value from both local and external markets.

The fact is South College Station is similar to the Fairfield area in Cypress. Its going to take quite a time until it reaches a critical mass [just like that area in Cypress now is].
TexAg1987
What is going in the almost completed large building at Tower Point? The one that is not Golds?
techno-ag
AG
nought said:

Cyp0111 said:

Let's put all the high-end stuff next to the students who want stuff like Panda Express, Taco Bell, etc. Let's put Taco Bell, Panda Express, etc. next to the well-to-do family neighborhoods who want sit-down restaurants.

I guess people will have to drive somewhere to go eat.
halibut sinclair
The Anchor
AG
TexAg1987 said:

What is going in the almost completed large building at Tower Point? The one that is not Golds?
It's a pet store. Petco or PetSmart. I can't ever remember which one.
biobioprof
Cyp0111 said:

You do realize that the development will rely heavily on business and sport stays associated with the university and thus draw value from both local and external markets.

The fact is South College Station is similar to the Fairfield area in Cypress. Its going to take quite a time until it reaches a critical mass [just like that area in Cypress now is].
I think this is largely correct and also wonder how much people who live in the neighborhoods around Tower Point eat out at places closer to where they work or where their out of town guests are staying. Or as locals eating out before or after sports or OPAS.

That might predict stronger demand around TP for high end groceries and take out than for higher end dine in. But there is already HEB to compete with.
Cyp0111
Any higher end dining will done by people visiting College Station and/or special events for residents. College Station doesnt have a downtown. Century Square will be that for the region. It has the branding of Midway Group and Valencia Hotels which cannot be matched in College Station.

South College station is equal to a middle tier suburb in a major city. It is going to have similar uses and offerings [namely middle tier restaurants, a grocery store, dry cleaners/nail salon, and a few fast food restaurants]. To a large extent that is going to be the next 10 years.

Any significant development where large outside capital/corporate interests are involved will be near the university.
Oogway
On 2818, Nick's NickNacks (sp?) did I miss something and it closed? I was looking for the Twin City resale place which I think is in that center now and Nick's looked vacant.
Counterpoint
AG
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know what the new building going up at the Copperfield Texaco is?

Chris98
AG
Building at Boonville Texaco is a Liquor Store
Marooned_n_Aggieland
With the Tower Point talk let's look at Saltgrass. How do you think they are doing business volume wise compared to the size of the footprint? The parking lot appears to be consistently full all year long which reflects their independence from the student business.

Pursuing another point, how many businesses have failed in the Tower Point/Caprock area? I can't think of a single one or at least one that I would have recognized. Granted I don't get over to Caprock much.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

how many businesses have failed in the Tower Point/Caprock area?
How long will Bush's Chicken and the car wash next door survive?
TexAg1987
Any auto parts stores on the horizon @ tower point?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Pursuing another point, how many businesses have failed in the Tower Point/Caprock area? I can't think of a single one or at least one that I would have recognized. Granted I don't get over to Caprock much.
The only thing I can think of is that Learning Center or something place that was next door to Farmhouse Creamery.
SARATOGA
I am also hopeful AGAINST Panda Express in TowerPoint. The stench from Chef Cao is enough to gag a maggot if the wind is wrong.....

Ugh

(I don't like any of that kind of pho american buffet chain Chinese Food - PF Changs, Panda Express, Pei Wei, Mongolian Grill Bowl, Chef Cao, Tjin China Diner, Taste of China, China Buffet American Sushi Bingo......)

So you might say I'm biased.

I do want to try the new Thai place though. I like authentic Thai and Vietnamese food.

SARATOGA
Bush's might fail do to the fact that posters have said service is very poor and there are 2 other chicken place in the same development......Saltgrass is massively overpriced chain food and it is constantly packed.

Something would have to be horrible to fail in that underserved area.

Mad Taco will print money when it opens.
Tailgate88
AG
SARATOGA said:

I am also hopeful AGAINST Panda Express in TowerPoint. The stench from Chef Cao is enough to gag a maggot if the wind is wrong.....

Ugh

(I don't like any of that kind of pho american buffet chain Chinese Food - PF Changs, Panda Express, Pei Wei, Mongolian Grill Bowl, Chef Cao, Tjin China Diner, Taste of China, China Buffet American Sushi Bingo......)

So you might say I'm biased.

I do want to try the new Thai place though. I like authentic Thai and Vietnamese food.

Kluay Kluay is dang good Thai food. I haven't tried the new place yet.
BrandoC
AG
If anyone has the money to start up another family entertainment place that is better than Grand Station they would make an absolute killing. The owners of Grand Station have to be rolling in the dough these days because that place is always slammed packed and nothing else to do in this town for families and college kids alike besides that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.