BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

679,753 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGnCS said:

The only issue I have with Tower Point HEB is that it is getting Wal-Mart level crowded. Maybe a new HEB at 2154/2818 would take some pressure off.
Psst...Google will tell you the store's popular hours for every day of the week. That might help you beat some of the crowds. It looks like Thursday is the best weekday to go unless you're already on a super early or super late shopping schedule.
mgreen
AGnCS said:

The only issue I have with Tower Point HEB is that it is getting Wal-Mart level crowded. Maybe a new HEB at 2154/2818 would take some pressure off.
Have you tried the new carside service? My wife acted if she hit the lottery after trying it.
CEAg78
AG
armymom said:

I prefer Kroger over HEB for their rewards! I usually have enough to get an extra 25 cents off per gallon of gas along with any accrued points!. I do like their Kroger brand products and since I'm a senior citizen I get 10% of their products. I almost always purchase my meat selections in the manager's markdown special and Nolan Ryan products are my favorite. I'm familiar with most of the employees as they have been there a long time. I don't like a young HEB cashier making idle conversation wanting to know what I will be doing the rest of the day. I know they are trying to be friendly but really feel they are insincere in their questioning. I also disliked HEB as it was always crowded but with the Texas Ave. Kroger now closed I'm beginning to have that same feeling with Kroger on Longmire. I've never understood what is so special with HEB...I'll continue to be a loyal Kroger customer until they close!
all of the above.

We shopped at the Kroger at Southwest Parkway. When they closed, we had to decide where to go. The HEB at Holleman is close to us but a nightmare to get in and out of. Next closest are the two Krogers. We chose the Boonville location, also for traffic reasons.

Also, Kroger's pharmacists are great.
jrhmc
AG
mgreen said:

AGnCS said:

Have you tried the new carside service? My wife acted if she hit the lottery after trying it.
It's amazing but only if you know what you want far enough in advance. If you just need a thing or two that you forgot for dinner, it won't work. I ordered at 11 a.m. today for this our groceries for the next week and I'll pick it up at 8 tonight. I just drive up and they load it in the car. It's fabulous!
don61
Heard Patranella's Bakery & Cafe has closed down.
Nice place.
BlueMiles
AG
tudie123 said:

Heard Patranella's Bakery & Cafe has closed down.
Nice place.
Tailgate88
AG
mgreen said:

I was excited about it too, but after taking a look at the site I'm not sure. I don't mind the $4.99 charge for them doing the shopping and bringing it to the car, but it seems like the prices on the website are higher than the shelf price on many items. Haven't actually used it yet though so I could be wrong.
sawemoff94
AG
We do our grocery shopping at HEB about every 10-14 days (family of 4) but hit Kroger for small trips and quick items. Their new convenience store is great when possible and gives same prices as store. Also hit Kroger for some sale items, especially meats where HEB usually doesn't come close. For example, last week $.99/lb on pork loins. My freezer is full after several "limit 2" transactions. They're both great and we need options. I don't care for the Alfred Hitchcock scene in the Kroger parking lot or the mass crowds at HEB.
fcag
AG
RNAggie said:

I haven't seen it discussed yet but what are they building between 6 and University Dr overpass?

My first thought was a traffic monitoring station, but when I drove by today it sure looks like the foundation for a Welcome to College Station monument.
Kbeauty63
AG
Saw a Skechers sign in the window of the Coldwater Creek space next to Starbucks off University this morning
Tailgate88
AG
They knocked all the trees down on the lot where Mad Taco is going in, so progress. Wish they had left a few trees though.

And the lights are going up at Fitch and Victoria.
eloc62
Tailgate88 said:

They knocked all the trees down on the lot where Mad Taco is going in, so progress. Wish they had left a few trees though.

And the lights are going up at Fitch and Victoria.
Finally the lights are going up. this is way overdue. seems like they have been working on this forever.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

seems like they have been working on this forever
I remember hearing there was a delay at the manufacturer that makes the poles.
rockelle
Tune Up : The Manly Salon open next to Mad Taco on University

https://twitter.com/aggiestuneup
TXCityGirl
Anyone know if the Hallmark store next to Kroger is closing? The merchandise is very slim lately.

kyledr04
AG
Saw a sign today in front of the dirty sock that said new commercial lease space will be available.
KidDoc
AG
rockelle said:

This looks pretty nice! Free beer with your haircut yes please!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DBSwooper
rockelle said:

Real licensed barbers or stylists? It sounds interesting if they have real barbers so they can use a straight razor for the edges, etc.
TheAlarmGuy
Welcome "Gringo's"

Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Aggie82x2
AG
Gonna start hounding Trader Joe's now that I'm living here. Should be enticing for them with no Whole Foods or Central Market. Close to their Houston distribution area it would be an easy drive for their trucks. With their prices & marketing style it is a natural fit for this college town! Can you imagine how much Two Buck Chuck they would sell??!!!

Go visit their website and send them a request please! Let's get TJ's Flyer Club here!
http://traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request
FlyRod
I agree. Would be nice. But the chorus of "We're not ready for nice things" crowd is about to start up...
Alte Schule
kyledr04 said:

Saw a sign today in front of the dirty sock that said new commercial lease space will be available.
Will probably need a Haz Mat type scrubbin' first.
Max06
AG
Do you know how awesome, and hilarious, it would be if this formerly adult business also turned into a Fuego!?!?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Do you know how awesome, and hilarious, it would be if this formerly adult business also turned into a Fuego!?!?
They tore that building down.
Max06
AG
I am fairly certain they'll tear down the Sock, too.
AgFan1999
AG
Think that plot of land is zoned for "Adult" businesses.
Tailgate88
AG
TheAlarmGuy said:

Welcome "Gringo's"

YESSSSSSS! A patio!!!!
KidDoc
AG
TheAlarmGuy said:

Welcome "Gringo's"

That looks really nice, where is that going in?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CEAg78
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Think that plot of land is zoned for "Adult" businesses.
Which means "Adult" business allowed, not required.
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
Hooter's
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
TheAlarmGuy said:

Welcome "Gringo's"

watch the video. is that Johnny Football talkin on the phone in the entrance? I think it is!

ok, i've never eaten at Gringos how does this compare to Chuys? while Chuys isn't great by any means its a solid go-to for me and my family.
kevmiller
Where were Gringo's be going in ??

Finally a place I can get good beef fajitas in town.
Aggiewife64
Next to salt grass
mgreen
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

TheAlarmGuy said:

Welcome "Gringo's"

watch the video. is that Johnny Football talkin on the phone in the entrance? I think it is!

ok, i've never eaten at Gringos how does this compare to Chuys? while Chuys isn't great by any means its a solid go-to for me and my family.
Much better food and service. Great operators. The huge bar will be a hit in south CS. Saltgrass made a horrible mistake building a tiny bar with 10 seats.
australopithecus robustus
The food at the two are comparable, with Gringos edging Chuys out a bit. Gringos is a lot more expensive, though.

The service is better at Gringos, but not by that much. The servers are dressed nicer, so it feels nicer.

Of course, I'm referring to servers from Houston, not college kids from BCS. Service in the entirety of this community can be spotty a little more often because of the college kid factor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.