BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

684,814 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
Agglife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks guys. Do you know when the park is supposed to open? I only saw limited construction there yesterday. I found a few trucks on yelp...but they're proving elusive on their web pages (if their sites even work). Are there any other general locations or FT parks in the area? I'm looking for higher end "gourmet" style food... not just mexican or bar-b-que. Variety is important to me
redd38
AG
It's supposed to open in April
Scruffy
AG
Looks like a restaurant is going in ground floor of the Domain corner of church and first.
FILO505
AG
If you're looking for variety like in Austin, you ain't gonna find it. There's a decent spread on the spectrum, but food trucks are still a relatively newer concept here. Given the market for food trucks in CS, the rent the food truck park is looking to charge is gonna keep a lot of them away
rc_cat
tombdaddy504 said:

If you're looking for variety like in Austin, you ain't gonna find it. There's a decent spread on the spectrum, but food trucks are still a relatively newer concept here. Given the market for food trucks in CS, the rent the food truck park is looking to charge is gonna keep a lot of them away
I haven't kept up - does the city (CS) still require that the food truck be tied to a brick and mortar restaurant?
FILO505
AG
The ordinance states they have to have a central facility. That doesn't mean they have to have a restaurant, but they have to have a contract with some sort of brick and mortar, city and health department approved kitchen
eloc62
really hoping the "food truck" culture will grow here and find their place to thrive. although I'm not sure it will work at Northgate location. the rent there will make it hard for them to be to be profitable. hopefully, they can find a larger space where more can be included and rent is affordable. you don't have to be brick and mortar anymore if you have good food! we will find you!
redd38
AG
Are the several trucks that are already on northgate not paying rent already? I assume at least the two that are in the gas station parking lot are paying something. Is it significantly less than what the new food park will charge?
Agglife
I'm totally with you! Hopefully someone will find some affordable space away from Northgate. But then it looks like the next question is.... How do you attract good, sustainable food trucks?

I didn't know about the the "tied to a brick and mortar" rule. That one is new for me. Are there are places where food trucks can go without having menu restrictions but held to health department standards?

The beauty of food trucks is variety and creativeness. Some of the best food I've ever had came from chefs that were tired of the brick and mortar scene.
Agglife
Through my limited research of the food truck park, it looks like the rent will be significantly higher. But they are also offering things that a typical parking lot can't.... sewer dump for dirty water, security, a small stage for entertainment, marketing, tables, drinks, etc. All this info comes from the City of College Station planning department.
Agglife
I love the idea of a central location for food trucks to hang out! Too bad it's in Northgate (with high rents, parking limitations and drama), but I'm finding that there isn't anything else to compare it to.

I've also found that there are some events coming up in the spring that will have trucks, but I don't want to wait that long!
ChampsAg
It's bad enough that Chef Tai and Blake's Steaks are almost exclusively on campus now. Northgate is not easy access for everyone either. Its a shame that this park cant be centrally located for ease of access.
Cyp0111
Its really terrible people may have to drive 5+ miles to eat.
ChampsAg
Not a 5 minute drive for everyone. But thanks for your input.
Cyp0111
sorry. 15 max. I get the struggle. Its real. lol
ChampsAg
I have no problem driving for good food. Not going to fight campus traffic or northgate parking for it very often though
FILO505
AG
Yeah, those contracts end in May. Guessing the University won't renew, either, since the Commons will be done
Scruffy
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Yeah, those contracts end in May. Guessing the University won't renew, either, since the Commons will be done

Maybe.
Chartwells really likes having outside contractors running food. They just get a monthly check for doing no work. No payroll etc.

They
ChampsAg
Good Bull BBQ trying to get on campus too I think.
FILO505
AG
This is very true. I'd bet they keep the ones on West Campus, at least. And Good Bull BBQ doesn't have any plans to go on campus. At least, not that I know of.
EBrazosAg
AG
Lyft coming to B/CS - got a text last night from Lyft looking for drivers. Saying they are on boarding drivers in several Texas cities including this area and looking for applications. Competition with Uber will be nice!! Lyft seems to have a better class of car in my experience lately - probably because drivers are able to get tips and keep a higher portion of the ride price.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Olsen
AG
In-N-Out Burger is finally entering the Houston market this year. Any idea if they would be interested to coming to Aggieland for a chance to expand here as well?
toolshed
AG
There's a new fast casual Italian restaurant coming to University Drive, across from Research Park/ near Discovery Drive, best I can tell from the article. I assume it's not in an existing building near there, but maybe a lot in the wooded section west of Discovery, on the right as you go toward Snook. No real detail that I see without digging deeper, but they suggest an opening around early Summer, so I don't know how that works out. I haven't noticed anything in the way of site work there, but don't normally drive that way.

Piada Italian Street Food

https://mypiada.com/locations
Cyp0111
Its going into Century Square.
redd38
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Lyft coming to B/CS - got a text last night from Lyft looking for drivers. Saying they are on boarding drivers in several Texas cities including this area and looking for applications. Competition with Uber will be nice!! Lyft seems to have a better class of car in my experience lately - probably because drivers are able to get tips and keep a higher portion of the ride price.
Generally the same people that drive for Uber also drive for Lyft. Not very many people exclusively drive for one or the other in markets that have both. So the better class of car is probably in your head. Also the rates will drop once Lyft enters this market, which makes it a lower paying job and thus will only attract a lower quality driver and car. I generally enjoy competition, but not in the case of ride sharing where Uber and Lyft are both racing to provide the cheapest, crappiest service possible. It's generally better when there is only one company in a market so they can charge a decent rate.
toolshed
AG
I assumed it would be in an existing development, but none of the addresses were matching up. Thanks.
australopithecus robustus
These users are in for a rude awakening paying those rents in century square. This ain't houston.
Cyp0111
The higher end places are going to live or die by the hotel traffic.
australopithecus robustus
I agree. There's not traffic year round here, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Cyp0111
I think they're going to need to have items/price point to get people in during the week. Slinging $60 steaks isnt going to work.

There is a place in NYC called Quality Eats which has a cool concept with lower priced steakhouse fair.
KidDoc
AG
We went to the Republic last Monday night and they were plenty busy!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sleepnumber
AG
KidDoc said:

We went to the Republic last Monday night and they were plenty busy!
How was it? Just curious. I've had some disappointing meals there recently (all steaks).
KidDoc
AG
Fantastic. Both my son and I were very happy with the strips.
Cyp0111
Republic is excellent.
armymom
Went to Republic last Saturday night for 2nd time in 11 years! It was excellent and busy but the service was great! I cannot wait to go again!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.