BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2017)

679,771 Views | 2328 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
mgreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KidDoc said:

mgreen said:

As a New Orleans native I am now hooked on the new Remnants of N'awlins location in Bryan. I live in Pebble Creek but have made the drive three times this month already. I can finally get REAL french bread for my po boys. The fried shrimp and catfish are as good as any New Orleans restaurant. I brough a friend from Galveston and he raved over the seafood gumbo. Loved the boudin balls, meat pies and potato salad.

Headed back next week with some more New Orleans friends to try more of the menu including the stuffed bell peppers I keep hearing about.

Love to support locals.
Thanks for the update! I am going to take the wife & son out there tomorrow for dinner.
Oddly they close at 6 Monday thru Thursday so we went Friday night.
rocketscience
AG
Hopdoddy's Burger Bar opens in just over two weeks at Century Square. They are extremely popular and were founded back home in Austin and I highly recommend them. Their whole establishment is similar to Grub Burger Bar, just different burgers.
jja79
AG
Remnant is stellar.
KidDoc
AG
mgreen said:

KidDoc said:

mgreen said:

As a New Orleans native I am now hooked on the new Remnants of N'awlins location in Bryan. I live in Pebble Creek but have made the drive three times this month already. I can finally get REAL french bread for my po boys. The fried shrimp and catfish are as good as any New Orleans restaurant. I brough a friend from Galveston and he raved over the seafood gumbo. Loved the boudin balls, meat pies and potato salad.

Headed back next week with some more New Orleans friends to try more of the menu including the stuffed bell peppers I keep hearing about.

Love to support locals.
Thanks for the update! I am going to take the wife & son out there tomorrow for dinner.
Oddly they close at 6 Monday thru Thursday so we went Friday night.

Thanks for the information! I work until 7 or later Monday so good to know they won't be open.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
CJHajda said:

Hopdoddy's Burger Bar opens in just over two weeks at Century Square. They are extremely popular and were founded back home in Austin and I highly recommend them. Their whole establishment is similar to Grub Burger Bar, just different burgers.

Glad to hear it is that soon. I saw on the Century Square Instagram or Twitter that they were thinking it would be late summer or early fall. So, I was thinking it would be closer to Labor Day. I hope the other shops and restaurants will be opening shortly as well!
Cyp0111
I would imagine most restaurants would have a Sept 1 start as a deadline.
nought
AG
CJHajda said:

Hopdoddy's is similar to Grub, but with better burgers, better shakes-with-alcohol, and better overall concept. The only downside to their upcoming opening is the cluster**** of getting near the university if you aren't already at the university.
O.G.
Just learned that Corporate Papa Murphys has closed the location in Bryan, a couple in Houston, Waco, Killeen etc. 11 locations total closed. Local franchise owner got the call over the weekend. I personally never got their pizza, but it is interesting.
Cyp0111
It's not that bad.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Their business model sucks imo
halibut sinclair
The Taco Bell at Boonville and Austin's Colony Parkway is now open.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The George sign went up today:

https://instagr.am/p/BWqAM37gswx

If any locals want to take other pictures of the Century Square development (or other new construction), it would be much appreciated!!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Hopdoddy is opening July 31.
Wicked Good Ag
Great American Cookie Company in mall with new ownership. Got rid of the red bag specials. Loved those 1.99 bags while walking around the mall
DontBeTriggered
"Piada Italian Street Food" is opening later this month. 1025 University Drive East.
Max06
AG
Casa do Brasil sign up across from the new Mad Taco

techno-ag
AG
Max06 said:

Casa do Brasil sign up across from the new Mad Taco

The fabled Brazilian steakhouse! Hope it makes it.
Scruffy
AG
The Peru food truck that was in the gas station parking lot at Boyett is opening a brick place on south Texas and southwest parkway.
halibut sinclair
Odd to go from food to selling bricks, but whatever.
Scruffy
FlyRod
Sign for Zoe's Kitchen up too. Looking forward to their opening.
Superiorteks
yes..was busy when i passed by there.
Superiorteks
any more news on Hooter's in Booneville?
DontBeTriggered
Omgoodness! Forget Whataburger!!! TX BURGER in Welborn is amazing!!!
Beau Bevers
AG
MonkIsMyHero said:

Omgoodness! Forget Whataburger!!! TX BURGER in Welborn is amazing!!!

You never forget Whataburger, sir.
halibut sinclair
Superiorteks said:

*Boonville*
halibut sinclair
halibut sinclair said:

Superiorteks said:

*Boonville*
And if they do build it, it will be on the bypass.
bcstx06

More apartments going up in Bryan.
$29.5m Apartment Community in Bryan
A few quick updates:
  • The New Taco Bell on Boonville is now open.
  • The University Drive eastern extension is now visible. There also seems to be huge project under construction north of there.... Have no idea what it is.
  • There is a large mixed use center planned near the Willow Ridge neighborhood.
  • TAMU is looking for a partner to build a new 30plus acre data center at the RELLIS Campus in Bryan. Business Digest: Texas A&M System plans Bryan data center
australopithecus robustus
This apparent over expansion in every sector will have a correction to be sure.

Particularly the restaurants, given this metro area's uncharacteristcially low retail spending per capita. (Per the Texas A&M Real Estate center studies)
FlyRod
A bigger issue might be finding enough help for all these businesses. With housing costs rising dramatically, service-level employees might not be able to find enough affordable housing in the area. Maybe the apparent drop in rents (temporary I suspect) will offset this though.
PS3D
australopithecus robustus said:

Particularly the restaurants, given this metro area's uncharacteristcially low retail spending per capita. (Per the Texas A&M Real Estate center studies)
I think part of the problem is a lot of spending per capita is that people go to Houston for shop, which increases theirs and decreases ours. If we had better restaurant and retail options, then maybe that will change. That's why I hope Century Square succeeds, as well as other higher-end restaurants (Saltgrass is still staying steady, that's a good sign).
Cyp0111
Keeping $$ in bcs is very important. I agree that adding higher tier shops, restaurants and experiences should help keep money at home and not in the Woodlands/Cypress.
fcag
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

There is some great data in there. I didn't know that was publicly available. It is interesting comparing College Station to somewhere like The Woodlands.
RafterAg223
AG
The demographics exist in this town to support higher end restaurants and mid to upper end soft goods. We have very few of both. It is true that many people do drive to Houston or The Woodlands regularly to enjoy these types of establishments. You can only eat Outback, Saltgrass, Olive Garden or Cheddars so many times before you get sick of them. And none of those are really considered higher end.
Cyp0111
I think it will be interesting to see how a place like Porters does. It will be serving prime steaks and the build out is similar to a nicer restaurant in Houston/Dallas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.