Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,908 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You got snow for the rest of the week and weekend.
Greeze06
AG
They closed lifts in Breck today around 2ish until 3ish bc of lightning. When they reoponed it was great, but mostly bc mountain was empty. It's been a good week.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Made it in to BC a little after 1700. I feel like we were less than an hour away from not making it in. East bound lanes had several issues, and I'm sure west bound lanes weren't far behind.

Thx to Panda's warning this morning, we left the springs a bit earlier than planned and made it here with no issues. POW day tomorrow!
Jock 07
AG
Looks like I-70 is closed this morning. Y'all enjoy it up there, wish I was there to join you.
chickencoupe16
AG
I'll call when they open, but I rented from Christy in Dillon but I'm staying in Dumont. I was supposed to return them today. Any idea if they'll charge me an extra day if and/or if I can return them to another Christy in Denver?
Yesterday
AG
Good skiing today in BC but wondering if I-70 will be ok by tomorrow morning around 8am?
02skiag
AG
MattyAg said:

Panda, we are in CB currently. Supposed to head back to TX Friday morning. Any recommendations or advice on route home?

We have the same plan, leaving CB tomorrow. It's looking pretty sketchy right now. Are you making contingency plans?
JFABNRGR
AG
Damn't only 10 of 23 lifts open at SS, cant get to the good stuff.
JustPanda
AG
Most of Back Bowls at Vail and 1/2+ of Steamboat Closed. 5 9 and 17 running at Vail, everything else closed.

BC, Breck, and Key at a full open,
docb
AG
Currently the only vehicle on I70 but we're not stopping. Well there is a CDOT truck in front of us. More travel adventures in Colorado. Dang SW plane literally 20 feet from touching down in Hayden and pilot aborted back to Denver. Tried driving last night but had to turn around and go this morning. I think I'm going to make it today at least.
JFABNRGR
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Damn't only 10 of 23 lifts open at SS, cant get to the good stuff.
80% of SS closed. They pulled all high mtn workers out via snow machines a couple hours back.

Were supposed to drive back through denver to TX tomorrow AM, debating on trying to extend a day.
Jock 07
AG
Answer is always yes, extend.
oldag941
AG
We just extended a day at SS. Skiing tomorrow. Didn't want to waste our pass on today. Driving all the way to Dallas on Saturday
hurricanejake02
AG
Any estimate on how long 70 stays closed? Leaving Granby tomorrow AM, hoping to make it to Amarillo for the night.
JustPanda
AG
Just got notification that its open.
oldag941
AG
F it. I'm sticking with my extended ski break. Not taking the family or friends the interstate opened.
JustPanda
AG
I'd imagine tomorrow is going to be INSANELY busy with the front range being cooped up today. They will be out in FORCE tomorrow morning. I'd get out ASAP tomorrow because by 11-12 it's gonna be a cluster ****.
oldag941
AG
You think on a Friday we won't get a half day or full day before the hordes descend?
Yesterday
AG
Anyone think I-70 East bound will be ok by 8am tomorrow? Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
It's already open.
JustPanda
AG
I'd bet 1/2 day max.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

It's already open.

I saw that. Was more concerned about conditions after snowing tonight. We have 4x4 and good tread tires. Just wondering what locals would do.
JFABNRGR
AG
JustPanda said:

I'd bet 1/2 day max.

Yes but a half day from SS still gets stuck with hordes out of summit county on a full day.
JustPanda
AG
Roads to Denver look ok. Wet but not icy.
MAS444
AG
Still dumping buckets in Telly.
JustPanda
AG
Gonna snow through the weekend in SoCo
LRHF
AG
Purgatory delaying opening lifts to 10:30 because of a 3 car pile up this morning between Durango and Purgatory.
MAS444
AG
Hope roads are okay tomorrow morning between here and Durango.
oldag941
AG
Steamboat only has low mountain open. Wind impacts on lifts. Hope that changes soon.
JustPanda
AG
Blue Sky in a delayed open at Vail. Winds supposed to let up around noon.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Just got back from Salida/Monarch and skied Sunday/Monday. NM skiing is so close for us, but gets so crowded with TX spring breakers that we like to go up to Monarch. We like it because we want to ski a lot and the lift lines are usually short and the mountain has the right mix of slopes that allow our family of various skill levels to challenge ourselves. The lifts are a little older with all 2 seat except for one quad. It isn't a big place with only 67 runs, but it is independently owned and so a lot of people in Colorado don't buy season passes there.

The snow was just ok and they only got 3" of snow the night before we got there, but it didn't bother us. I just saw they got dumped on the last 24 hrs with 15".

We are there to ski and so we focus on ski/eat/rest. We stay at a very affordable Hampton Inn, eat very reasonably prime rib/filets at the somewhat quirky Quincey's restaurant across the street from the hotel. There is also a McDonalds across the street from the hotel for the kids to get ice cream. We rent in Poncha Springs at Mountain Sports Haus and that is always a good experience for us.

Yesterday
AG
Just drove 70 from Beaver Creek to Denver. Everything east of the tunnel was 30mph ice/slush but we made it. I can't believe there were still truckers on that road without chains.
Jock 07
AG
Yesterday said:

Just drove 70 from Beaver Creek to Denver. Everything east of the tunnel was 30mph ice/slush but we made it. I can't believe there were still truckers on that road without chains.

They better hope they don't get caught. Pretty expensive fine from my understanding.
JustPanda
AG
It's about $225-250 per axle IIRC. Basically the price of studded snow tires if you get busted.
StockHorseAg
AG
Pajarito has gotten 14in so far and is forecasting 29 more in the next five days. If I can find a local friend who wants to take a day trip up there with me next Saturday morning I'd go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.