Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,927 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm glad they are restricting boards. It's so damn dangerous having them strewn about the runs just sitting there chilling out
tmaggies
AG
Saturday till Saturday but may look into finding something for tomorrow. Was having a belated Christmas with the kids but could postpone till the following week.
BCO07
AG
Now that my wife is hooked, she's wanting to go again in March, but with the kids this time. What are reasonable options from Houston area for a total of 5 people? I'd rather not drop $2k in air fair, so it seems like my options to drive are ruidoso, taos and red river. Any other good options?
bmac_aggie18
AG
I would probably stay away from Ruidoso in March, going to be really really bare. Taos, Red River and Angel Fire are all fine but if you can stomach an extra hour or two to Wolf Creek, I think you'd thank yourself
Aggiewes
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

I would probably stay away from Ruidoso in March, going to be really really bare. Taos, Red River and Angel Fire are all fine but if you can stomach an extra hour or two to Wolf Creek, I think you'd thank yourself
Ditto!
maroon10
AG
They were never taught the proper places to do this.
jpb1999
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

This, or Purgatory if you want options to stat at the base/lifts. Purg is only another 1 hour from Pagosa Springs?WC...
trip98
AG
far from a ski junkie....never skied until college....didn't ski for almost 2 decades since but going back this year for 3rd time in a few years now that kid is hooked on it.....but I will say this....do NOT ski ruidoso at spring break!!

did that ONCE my junior and we skied on snow/rocks for one day and then stopped.

even though you can drive there, just not worth it. Better off investing just a few more hours to keep driving to better snow
corndog04
AG
trip98 said:

far from a ski junkie....never skied until college....didn't ski for almost 2 decades since but going back this year for 3rd time in a few years now that kid is hooked on it.....but I will say this....do NOT ski ruidoso at spring break!!

did that ONCE my junior and we skied on snow/rocks for one day and then stopped.

even though you can drive there, just not worth it. Better off investing just a few more hours to keep driving to better snow

Ski Apache wound up catching a lot of snow in early March last year and had some pretty nice spring break skiing. They even did us locals a favor and stayed open an extra week for New Mexico spring break (week after Texas spring break), when in recent years they've closed immediately after Texas spring break. But, if trying to book something this far out I'd agree to look north. If you are flexible and don't mind last-minute plans it can still be worth a look as it gets closer.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Where is teh best place to sell used skis and gear? I have a set of QST 106 2022 used one season, Rossignol Alltrack 100 hV boots 29.5, helmet, and goggles. I have another set I prefer and dont see myself using them again.
rather be fishing
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Where is teh best place to sell used skis and gear? I have a set of QST 106 2022 used one season, Rossignol Alltrack 100 hV boots 29.5, helmet, and goggles. I have another set I prefer and dont see myself using them again.
Where are you located? If you're in Houston or probably about anywhere big cityish, I'd probably post them on Facebook marketplace if you don't have a Play It Again or other used sports equipment store you could sell them to. Poshmark has been pretty good for me selling stuff.

You're a little late in the game to try and find a ski swap happening, but that's an option for fall of 2024.
jpb1999
AG
Just curious, what is a rough price for all of it? What size of a person would this fit?
Hoyt Ag
AG
I live in the NW corner of CO. I just dont use this set any longer, starting to purge some stuff from the house.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I am 6' 225lb with a size 12 shoe. I will have to see what i paid and market prices are if any similar are out there.
maroonblood90
AG
Sipapu
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer has had 44" in the last week. They are adding a new lift tomorrow and another on Saturday. That will be almost everything up and running. Looks like another round of snowing in the forecast for the middle of next week. Things are looking up.

We will be in the negatives for the next 72 hours or so. Not sure how many turns I'll get in this weekend.
JustPanda
AG
Absolutely FANTASTIC day at Vail. I almost never ski a full day and I was out from 10:00 to 3:30. Chair 21 was phenomenal. Coverage is MUCH better. Still spots of caution but no where near like Sunday. It was a stellar day and setting up for an incredible weekend/week. 22 more inches expected through Monday morning.

I'll post totals soon and forecasts soon.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Steamboat is forecasted something like 4ft the next few days. I have been at work the last 36 hours and wont go home tillTuesday I bet. These arctic blasts make for long days for me in the power gen world, especially managing 'green' energy on top of what is actually reliable and useful such as nat gas and coal fire.

Yall have fun on the slopes and I will keep the power going in NW CO.
rather be fishing
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Steamboat is forecasted something like 4ft the next few days. I have been at work the last 36 hours and wont go home tillTuesday I bet. These arctic blasts make for long days for me in the power gen world, especially managing 'green' energy on top of what is actually reliable and useful such as nat gas and coal fire.

Yall have fun on the slopes and I will keep the power going in NW CO.
I work in hydro, although I'm on the land/recreation side of things.
JustPanda
AG
Got those torn hestras today.
rather be fishing
AG
Damn, I don't know if we're going to make it out this weekend at all. Forecast temps for Schweitzer Friday-Sunday:

-27/-19
-27/-13
-19/-3
JustPanda
AG
Nope nope nope
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Nope nope nope
Wind chill down to -52
RangerRick9211
AG
rather be fishing said:

JustPanda said:

Nope nope nope
Wind chill down to -52

You guys are so in the ice box. Not even funny.

We're at real 5 deg F in the OR north valley and chills around 0 this weekend. Which blows as work picked up hard this week and I haven't skied any of the storms. Now, I'll be luckily to get out of the city with 12" forecasted Friday - Saturday at my house.

But, luck has it, I'm off MLK (had no idea, thanks progressives!). So I'll be out Monday on Hood.

And yo, I have a hut trip in the Wallowas in Feb. We're also thinking a Selkirk trip in March. Have you heard of it?

https://selkirkpowder.com/
rather be fishing
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

rather be fishing said:

JustPanda said:

Nope nope nope
Wind chill down to -52

You guys are so in the ice box. Not even funny.

We're at real 5 deg F in the OR north valley and chills around 0 this weekend. Which blows as work picked up hard this week and I haven't skied any of the storms. Now, I'll be luckily to get out of the city with 12" forecasted Friday - Saturday at my house.

But, luck has it, I'm off MLK (had no idea, thanks progressives!). So I'll be out Monday on Hood.

And yo, I have a hut trip in the Wallowas in Feb. We're also thinking a Selkirk trip in March. Have you heard of it?

https://selkirkpowder.com/
They've got their little basecamp area setup right over the ropes at top of the Great Escape Quad lift next to the Sky House restaurant. I'm not adventurous, nor proficient enough to look into them more than that.
maroon10
AG
Hoyt- Where are you in NW CO?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Meeker
Pahdz
JustPanda any updates on those bibs?

Finally getting 4-8" of real snow in MN today.

Saw Whitefish closed at lunch yesterday and will not open today due to cold. Windchills at the summit yesterday were sub -50
SmithAg18
AG
Just shot you an email
JustPanda
AG
Storm totals thus far and expected totals through early next week! Hella windy and COLD today and tomorrow. Hella cold late Saturday/Sunday/Monday.

bmac_aggie18
AG
JP,

What's it like skiing Silverton guided and unguided?
RMD10
AG
That's what I like to hear! In Breckenridge right now but they have a lot of the lifts on hold today due to wind so probably gonna be more of a football/drinking day. Gonna be in Vail Tuesday and Wednesday and looking forward to it
RangerRick9211
AG
So much for skiing. We're in a massive windstorm.

It took out a 150' dougy fir in our backyard and 6 other smaller trees with it. Just feels like there's little bombs all around us living in the woods. The big one barely missed our neighbors house.

JustPanda
AG
Never skied it unguided. I've done Heli drops there. Super fun. Not for intermediates or beginners. You gotta be confortable on sticks and deep pow and steeper grades. If so, it's a blast. If not, its a nightmare.

Edit to add: I enjoyed our Heli trip to the Tetons more than Silverton. If it wasn't something local and was making a trip out of it, I'd probs pick WY/ID/AK.
Jock 07
AG
Anyone ever skied the Yellowstone club? Always wondered what the mountain was like. Was always a bit mysterious looking through the trees from big sky at the empty lifts spinning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.