Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,871 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

JP,

Got any good recs on ski socks?

Darn Tough. Great socks with a lifetime warranty.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Most of our lifts don't have a bar. I wish they did because it makes me nervous with my kid.
Our summit lift is freaking crazy when it gets windy. Feels like a roller coaster.

Is that your local hill, or bachelor?
JustPanda
AG
I'd go 120s without thinking.
JustPanda
AG
SmartWool or +1 for darn tough.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
That's Ariel at Mt A. It does look like the old Red Chair at Bachelor though.
JustPanda
AG
That's a big F no to that chair. I can't imagine that thing in a 20-25mph wind. That's like a carnival ride from hell. Can't even imagine w my kids. They would do everything they could to accidentally "slip" off that bad boy.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
JustPanda said:

That's a big F no to that chair. I can't imagine that thing in a 20-25mph wind. That's like a carnival ride from hell. Can't even imagine w my kids. They would do everything they could to accidentally "slip" off that bad boy.

I've been last on that lift twice as a last rider before they shut it down due to wind and it is swinging a ton. It's honestly pretty nerve wracking. I don't take my kid on it unless it's a pretty mild day.
WestTexasAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Most of our lifts don't have a bar. I wish they did because it makes me nervous with my kid.
Our summit lift is freaking crazy when it gets windy. Feels like a roller coaster.

Where is that?
Jock 07
AG
Trying to remember when I rode an old school 2 chair like that last. Maybe copper or winter park ~10 years ago?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Mt Ashland. Southern Oregon.

https://www.mtashland.com/
https://liftblog.com/ariel-mt-ashland-or/comment-page-1/

That lift, and the resort as a whole, is celebrating its 60th year this year.
KCup17
AG
Anyone gone to Pajarito Mountain? If so how was it?
Tecolote
AG
KCup17 said:

Anyone gone to Pajarito Mountain? If so how was it?
It's a fun mountain but very much for locals. Nothing really but the ski area. It is also only open Thu-Sun and closed Mon-Wed. Snow can be good in a good year. At the moment it is probably good.

The layout is very different. It doesn't have a lot of vertical but is spread out wide over the mountain. Not like most areas where a run will diverge into two/three or others will merge into one and have turns. It is basically a wide mountain with many straight runs top-bottom.
JustPanda
AG
Just finished skiing it earlier this year since I have family in Los Alamos. It's a fun mountain but VERY RAW. I wouldn't plan a vacation around it, but if you're in the area and want to catch some runs, they have some solid blacks up around Breathless, Precious, Nother Mother, Sidewinder, etc

As mentioned above it's mostly T2B skiing so once you're on something, that what you're taking down. There aren't really any outs except East Road.

Overall, I love pajarito when it has snow. Some years it hasn't even opened. I'd honestly say I prefer it's layout to Breck or Keystone.
89DogDoc94
AG
Ags,
I need some advice. We have an Air bnb in Red River NM for the front end weekend of Spring break to take 5 young adults to snow board. We will be taking two cars for the drive from Austin. I need help to pick the best option and best tire add on. I read through the 1st 10 pages of this thread and saw some info. but I just got back from close family member funeral, and don't have the band width for 50 pages and was hoping a kind soul could just give me advice. This is our 1st trim to the mountains in the winter and thus are complete newbs. Car options:
1. Toyota Rav 4 all wheel drive wth reg street tires
2. Nissan Rouge (think rear wheel drive) and street tires
3. Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro with BFG A/Ts (its 4x4 like all pros)
4. GMC 1500 4x4 with Over size M/S tires

1 and 2 would be best for comfort and milage but if the consensus is you need 4x4......then we can take 3 and 4. I thought maybe the rav4 with AWD might be ok?

I am assuming to get to Red River, NM in March, it is rec to either have tire chains or socks. This may be a once in my life trip, so woulds socks be ok for a one trip plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask such questions.
Greeze06
AG
Heading to Breck Spring Break......anyone got large teenager ski clothes they want to sell?
Yesterday
AG
89DogDoc94 said:

Ags,
I need some advice. We have an Air bnb in Red River NM for the front end weekend of Spring break to take 5 young adults to snow board. We will be taking two cars for the drive from Austin. I need help to pick the best option and best tire add on. I read through the 1st 10 pages of this thread and saw some info. but I just got back from close family member funeral, and don't have the band width for 50 pages and was hoping a kind soul could just give me advice. This is our 1st trim to the mountains in the winter and thus are complete newbs. Car options:

1 and 2 would be best for comfort and milage but if the consensus is you need 4x4......then we can take 3 and 4. I thought maybe the rav4 with AWD might be ok?

I am assuming to get to Red River, NM in March, it is rec to either have tire chains or socks. This may be a once in my life trip, so woulds socks be ok for a one trip plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask such questions.

RAV4 for sure. I wouldn't worry about socks or chains. If it's that bad just wait an hour or so for them to clear the road.
SunrayAg
AG
89DogDoc94 said:

Ags,

If you are driving across from Clayton NM and it is really bad blizzard conditions they will close the highway until they get it cleared. And you don't want to be out there even in a monster truck if there are blizzard conditions. If the highway is open, it should be passable. Once you get to the mountains, they keep it pretty well plowed if there is snow. Ski season is the majority of the yearly income for towns like red river, and they can't afford to have roads impassable for long.

My wife has a Rav 4 awd and we drive all over the place in the snow up here in the panhandle.
mwlkr
AG
Skip the Rouge. Everything else will work if the driver knows his/her butt from third base.
docb
AG
89DogDoc94 said:

Ags,

I'd go with the Tacoma and the GMC. They're both 4WD and I like the tires better. That's kind of my set up for my Steamboat home. I keep a 4WD Tacoma and a 4WD Expedition there.
Tecolote
AG
89DogDoc94 said:

Ags,

As a native of this area and current resident that runs a business with extremely experienced semi drivers in the worst of conditions, if you are a newbie to snow and taking a once in a lifetime trip don't ruin it by driving in conditions you aren't experienced and knowledgeable. Take any of the vehicles you mentioned above and decide ahead of time that if the weather turns bad, you'll stay in place until the roads are clear and in conditions for your experience level. Only emergencies require being out in bad weather conditions even if an expert winter weather driver.
JustPanda
AG
Only thing I'll add is that if you bring the trucks, it's not a bad idea to weight down the back ends. Otherwise, 100% agree w everything said above. Discretion is the better part of valor in the high country. If you think it may be a deductible drive, just chill
SunrayAg
AG
Tecolote said:

89DogDoc94 said:

Ags,

As a native of this area and current resident that runs a business with extremely experienced semi drivers in the worst of conditions, if you are a newbie to snow and taking a once in a lifetime trip don't ruin it by driving in conditions you aren't experienced and knowledgeable. Take any of the vehicles you mentioned above and decide ahead of time that if the weather turns bad, you'll stay in place until the roads are clear and in conditions for your experience level. Only emergencies require being out in bad weather conditions even if an expert winter weather driver.

I definitely agree with this. Also, it doesn't matter how well you can drive in snow when the other guy can't. I spent the night in our suburban a few years ago with my wife and 2 young kids. We got caught in a pop up blizzard near Moriarity, NM. I was taking it slow and getting through just fine. But the 17 car pile up in front of me closed the road and we were stranded anyway. We had blankets and sleeping bags, and drinks and snacks, so we were fine.

My son was stuck for 8 hours a couple of years ago between Clayton and Springer. He was in a 4wd Tundra with aggressive tires… but you couldn't see the road due to blizzard conditions. They closed the highway until the wind slowed down a bit, then it was fine.
89DogDoc94
AG
Everyone,
Thanks for the advice / comments. This is exactly what I was hoping for from the post. Only one comment thus far on chains / socks.

I hear you guys on just stay put if weather is bad and that advice will be followed. But will we need chain / socks to get from air bnb to ski area? Will they be possiblly be needed for New Mexico law in certain conditions?

Thanks again folks.
jwoodmd
89DogDoc94 said:

Everyone,
Thanks for the advice / comments. This is exactly what I was hoping for from the post. Only one comment thus far on chains / socks.

I hear you guys on just stay put if weather is bad and that advice will be followed. But will we need chain / socks to get from air bnb to ski area? Will they be possiblly be needed for New Mexico law in certain conditions?

Thanks again folks.
No. Whenever we've been in NM, the towns and parking lots are kept pretty clear. NM seems to close the roads if it gets to the point where chains are needed.
Hobbes01
AG
Heading to Winter Park tomorrow. Skiing Thursday, Friday and Monday. Saved a significant amount of money on the lift tickets by skipping the weekend. Even with Monday being a holiday, hoping it won't be too bad. Or that it begins to thin out throughout the day for those having to commute back to Denver. Can't wait to get back on skis!
txaggie02
AG
Quote:

Even with Monday being a holiday, hoping it won't be too bad. Or that it begins to thin out throughout the day for those having to commute back to Denver.

We've skiied Monday - Wednesday on President's weekend in WP the last 4 years and it always thins out around lunch on Monday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday are really low numbers of skiers. It's great!

The son and I are actually headed to WP on Saturday. We plan on skiing Monday to Wednesday again. Can't wait!

By the way, if you buy a multi-day lift pass well in advance, you can really hit some good savings. They have different options for skiing 2 of 3 days, 3 of 4 days, or 4 of 5 days.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Skied santa fe friday, had to drive 15mph up the whole canyon behind a chrysler 300 from ohio. Once they got into the parking lots and it was pure snow and just a hair steeper they came to a stop just spinning their rear tires. Don't do that
Conversely, at sandia sunday there was an el camino in the parking lot with big snow tires on the back and the bed weighted down so hard i think it was riding the bumpstops. I haven't been here long but to me that's new mexico af
Tecolote
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Skied santa fe friday, had to drive 15mph up the whole canyon behind a chrysler 300 from ohio. Once they got into the parking lots and it was pure snow and just a hair steeper they came to a stop just spinning their rear tires. Don't do that
Conversely, at sandia sunday there was an el camino in the parking lot with big snow tires on the back and the bed weighted down so hard i think it was riding the bumpstops. I haven't been here long but to me that's new mexico af
There's a very large chance that bed wasn't weighted down but it was instead a low rider.

MouthBQ98
AG
Purg is the same way. They have any 3 of 4, 4 of 5, 5 of 7 deals.
Tecolote
AG
jwoodmd said:

89DogDoc94 said:

Everyone,

Thanks again folks.
No. Whenever we've been in NM, the towns and parking lots are kept pretty clear. NM seems to close the roads if it gets to the point where chains are needed.
This right here. Don't even bring chains or socks. Will give you a false sense of security. We run on some awful ranch roads with mud, snow, ice, and rarely chain up. I drive a 4WD Explorer and don't even carry chains regularly. Only time I throw chains in is if I need to go rescue a driver from a situation we should have known better than to try.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
We're driving to Steamboat over Spring Break. Are snow chains imperative?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
JustPanda
AG
Nope. Probs will be totally fine. Never know but if you need them, probs better to just wait.
JustPanda
AG
Snow expected at Steamboat over the next 10. Not much expected any other day. Maybe some Friday.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
What tires are everyone using?

Switched my wife's Expedition to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S this season and have been incredibly impressed. They're 3 Peak, meaning I don't have to carry chains in Oregon.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s/p/103980
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

What tires are everyone using?

Switched my wife's Expedition to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S this season and have been incredibly impressed. They're 3 Peak, meaning I don't have to carry chains in Oregon.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s/p/103980

KO2s on my truck and then whatever general OEM Ford puts on the 22" Expedition wheels. Although this is of interest to me cause I'll be looking to replace her OEMs with something fairly decent in the snow when the time comes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.