Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,924 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big weather coming to California. Looks like it's gonna bring snow next week
JustPanda
AG
WC is getting hammered the next 10 days.

18 over 5 - mostly Friday

47 over the next 10 - 29 Wednesday and Thursday of next week.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just rolled into Breck. It's downright balmy out. Looks like we might get some snow Fri and Sat though.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Send me your phone number, brother!
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

WC is getting hammered the next 10 days.

18 over 5 - mostly Friday

47 over the next 10 - 29 Wednesday and Thursday of next week.

Just sent you an email - the Breck location didn't have your note but they said if you call they'll hook me up. Thanks again!
JustPanda
AG
I can do it. What's the reservation #? Sorry
JustPanda
AG
9one3 - 6two6-two03six.
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

I can do it. What's the reservation #? Sorry

Just shot you a text!
maroon10
AG
Gonna need to lather the sun screen in the boat tomorrow!
MouthBQ98
AG
You want the correct angle to actually get the proper form and safest posture for the type of skiing you will do. There are knee and leg exercises you can do to strengthen both the muscles and connective tissues that will help knees. The needs to be done for months if not years in advance thought to be effective. Better to start now for next year.

Getting boots custom adjusted to knee and leg angles will help. As with any other form of athletic activity, good form lessens strains and chance of injury. Skiing should not involve any twisting. (Exceptions are specialties like park and mogul runs) It's about leaning while keeping everything aligned straight in the direction of travel.

As far as aids to knee strength, soreness prevention, and protection, I was able to ski last year with a freshly turn ACL and meniscus using a $20 knee wrap from Walmart. Mostly to add a little rigidity laterally. For just general protection this year, I plan on wearing knee wraps/lifting wraps like power lifters wear at the gym. They do help support the knee joint by adding some resistance to bending, and padding should there be a tumble.

Jock 07
AG
65 here in the springs today, just in time to drive up to vail to ski tomorrow and Friday.
JustPanda
AG
At BC right now and it's actually super nice.

Legal Custodian
AG
Just pulled up to Angel Fire and there is no one on the mountain and maybe 15 cars in the parking lot. But the mountain looks good.
maroon10
AG
Great day in the boat with our 8 year old boarding, youngins in ski school. Could use more snow but not crowded at all and warmer weather sure was nice. Back at it tomorrow!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Skied Keystone today and had a great time. Packed powder everywhere and a lot of the runs off the new Bergmans lift were a bit bare but a day skiing is still better than just about anything else.
Yesterday
AG
Getting ready to haul a family of 5, 4 sets of skis and boots to Park City. The Marine Corps prepared me for this.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Panda,

Going to be skiing Copper Mountain Feb 8-10. How are they looking at upcoming snow?
Bird93
AG
Just got back from Whistler Blackcomb Sunday. Unfortunately, the weather was crap. Rained non stop for five days. The bottom of the mountain was pure slush. The clouds were so thick through the middle of the mountain that visibility made it pretty sketchy at times. Conditions were decent at the top.

Whistler Mtn was a better experience than Blackcomb imo. First time there, and I really enjoyed the village.
JustPanda
AG
16 inches between now and the 8th
SockDePot
Godspeed sir.

Not sure anything could prepare you for that.
Yesterday
AG
SockDePot said:

Godspeed sir.

Not sure anything could prepare you for that.

You're right. Nothing can except the last two years of doing it. Wanted to throw in the towel several times.
Greeze06
AG
Bro looking like Danny Carey (the goat)!!

JustPanda
AG
Western Rockies Snow Update 2/1/24

Skied Vail, BC, and Keystone this week. Snow today was much icier than yesterday. BC was very icy from centennial down and over to larkspur (Latigo, 1876, Red Tail, Larkspur, etc) BG was much better (Sawbuck, Cabin Fever, Gunders) and Arrowhead was ironically probs the best. Cresta Golden Bear and Little Brave were all stellar. Red Buffalo and Cinch chairs had better snow than the mid / base. If I was skiing just BC, I'd be up at the top but that'll probs change w the snow expected tomorrow - Sunday. Whoop!

Headed down to Ridgway tomorrow to see the better half and the gremlins. Plan is to ski Telly Saturday and Sunday. Really hoping that tomorrow/Saturday storm deliver.

And now to what you came for!

CO:

Vail: 16 over 5, 21 over 10, 50 inch base
BC: 17 over 5, 24 over 10, 40 inch base
Breck: 10 over 5, 13 over 10, 44 inch base
Keystone: 9 over 5, 13 over 10, 41 inch base
Telly: 17 over 5, 34 over 10, 38 inch base
Purg: 15 over 5, 50 over 10, 32 inch base
WC: 18 over 5, 60 over 10, 50 inch base
WP: 15 over 5, 21 over 10, 58 inch base
SS: 18 over 5, 27 over 10, 74 inch base
Snowmass: 15 over 5, 24 over 10, 44 inch base

GOOD NEWS! Lots of snow coming to San Juans and Sangres. Decent amount coming to the 70 corridor and north but nothing like the forecast for the southern portion of the state.

BAD NEWS: Saturday/Sunday have the potential to be a couple of DEEP powder days down south and Wednesday Thursday Friday are shaping up to be the same. If you aren't comfortable on 18+ inches of powder, it may not be the best time to go rip. Thursday of next week may be even heavier for the Sangres. SO, lots of snow that that also means knowing how to ski powder.

If you're planning on driving up here on the next 10 days, I'd HIGHLY recommend looking at the forecast especially if you're traveling anywhere from Pueblo to South Fork/Pagosa/Durango/Telly

UT:

PC Canyons: 11 over 5, 26 over 10, 62 inch base
Solitude: 13 over 5, 31 over 10, 60 inch base

WY:

JH: 8 over 5, 23 over 10, 60 inch base

OVERALL:

Shaping up to be a nice next couple of weeks. Heavy snow followed by sun and warmer temps followed by another round of snow. Conditions should be improving each day. Best days to hit look like Saturday/Sunday morning, and then Wednesday/Thursday/Friday of next week if you're looking to drop fresh pow stashes.

Edit to add picture from chair 17 in BC and my seasons stats

Jock 07
AG
Damn wish I had 18+ today in the back bowls. Pretty rough out there. I was shocked how thin the coverage was and how many bare spots there were. Seemed a lot thinner than keystone even last week. Not sure if that's all from the melt this week or not.
Granted I was all over the mountain today as my son was in ski school and I only saw a limited amount of keystone last week, but still.

Gonna use the boy to try and convince the wife to let us at least get a few runs in on Saturday with all the snow coming in before driving back down to rheumatologist springs.
Waterski02
AG
JP. Last Friday arrowhead was crap. Vail's been better, but still firm. I've found the best snow is yesterday's groom in that it's had a day or 2 to soften up. Skiers left of Ricky's was great yesterday, just past the grooming. Ouzo was ok, but spring corn and dirt on 1/31 is scary for more reasons than just the skiing.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah - we've been pushing past Ouzo just past Ouzo Glade to the part under the zip line and radio / cell tower. Little deeper coverage between there and the catwalk but then the tree run kinda got knocked with that Aspen/Ponderosa that felt through the trees. It's really tracked under the catwalk to seven. Hoping this new storm refills it.

The northstar trees have held decently well. Way better than chair 2 and 8 trees.

We never ride arrowhead but yeah it was oddly nice today.
Totally agree on the conditions. Rickys is one of my favs.
LRHF
AG
It's raining pretty hard in Durango…. Not even going to freeze in town overnight. Strangest storm I've seen since living in the mtns on and off since 1988!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
JP out here getting more vertical in half a season than most in their entire lives.
FirefightAg
AG
At loveland on the lift currently light snow. Supposed to pick up today and tomorrow
JustPanda
AG
Trying for 2 million and 1250 chair lifts. Last year I got 1.7 million vert ft.

Currently raining in Ridgway.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Since I primarily ski with my 5 year old, I'm happy if I get 20K vertical a day. Most days with her, we get in 10k-15k.

I do make the most of my solo time and get typically 30k-40k when I'm by myself. No friends (or family?) on pow days!

What app are you using to track?
Jock 07
AG
Sittin in the beer hall at the two elks lodge in Vail and the clouds are actually breaking a bit right now. Saw the watch went to a warning over night so anyone coming up for the weekend should be set up nicely.
FC12
For a view across the pond…I live in the Swiss Alps area. Last years snow was dreadful. This year the early snow was fantastic and set the season nicely. Although more
Is needed.

This year I've been a few times to Davos and Silvretta Montafon. Today was St. Anton. Other smaller resorts have been sprinkled in. By far my favorite still is Davos (Parsenn & Madrisa). In 2 weeks the family and I are off to the Dolomites to ski at Civetta.

Anyway - if any of you have questions on locations in eastern Switzerland or western Austria, let me know!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Riding Breck today. Dusting of snow this morning has helped conditions. Sun is back out this afternoon and forecast is for some serious dumpage tonight into tomorrow. Gonna swap my skis for some fatties and ride Copper tomorrow.
JustPanda
AG
Dumping face right now in Ridgway. Should be nice up at Telly tomorrow. Reporting 5 over the last 6 hours and if what's hitting here is hitting over there, whoop!

Edit to add: Setting up really nice for Purg, too!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.