Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,862 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha, I never have an issue with my feet, but my hands are a different story. Might stop by and take you up on that.
JustPanda
AG
I ordered what I thought was 1000 for the ski valet. Turned out it was 1,000 packs of 10. So, I literally have 10,000 hot hands under my desk.
wessimo
AG
Great info! Does that app have Lake Louise and Sunshine Village?
watty
AG
Ok I need advice. We're here at Pagosa. We skied WC yesterday. Some snow fell overnight here at our house, maybe 2 inches, and heavy snow is forecast all day. 5-8 inches expected in town, so who knows how much at the mountain.

I have a minivan and chains. People say I'll be fine, but I'm still a little apprehensive. Just go for it? Or stay home with the family and enjoy watching the snow fall and then ski tomorrow?
JustPanda
AG
Have you ever put on the chains or will this be your first time?
JustPanda
AG
Vail/BC now forecasting 22-24 inches over 10.
Summit STILL only forecasting 4-7 inches. I'm going to ask Joel if that's accurate when I see him later today. Seems reallly really odd.
MAS444
AG
What's the snow forecast for Telluride? and what site/app do you use for this? Apologies if you've already answered this. Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
Lake Louise isn't getting hit from these rollers. They are 88% open, 33 inch base, and have 2 inches forecasted over 10. They average early January summit base is 52 inches, so they like most hills in the Canadian Rockies are struggling pretty hard at the moment. That's put them at 63% of their 30 year average which is about the 9% percentile overall. Not great by any means but at least it's a low 30 base and not a low 20s base.
watty
AG
I practiced at home so I'm not worried about actually getting them on.
JustPanda
AG
Telly and Purg have kinda been mirror images of each other this season.

Good News: Telly is expecting 27 over the next 10
Bad News: They are currently on a 28 inch base so they have ALOT of ground to make up.

Here is the season snowfall and the season snowpack vs the 30 year average. 27 inches will push the current season closer to or just under the average. You can see from the base depth that the lack of snow in December really really hurt. It out a lot of hills back into early November base levels. So, we need a strong early to mid January to fill in the lack of snow and melt off that happened in December. Luckily, we're getting some numbers that should really help. Now we just need these rollers to stay consistent through Presidents' Day.

JustPanda
AG
If you can get them on, id go. Not many POW days so far this season so telling you to be content missing a 4-5 inch over night drop and a 8-10 inch day would be criminal.

Edited to add: I'm on day 51 on a hill this season and only 5 or so have been true POW days. Go and gobble that **** up my guy.
JustPanda
AG
Doing this now Pahdz!
JustPanda
AG
I use OpenSnow. I've found them to be the best/most accurate and the owner has a condo in our hotel so I get the free upgrade and an open invite to harass him with a multitude of questions anytime I go upstairs to grab Oreos and hot chocolate.
JustPanda
AG
Banff is on a 30 inch base and 2 expected over ten. They are currently at about 55% of the 30 year average snowpack. If possible, I'd look at pivoting to a different region. The upper central Canadian Rockies are having a really really rough season.
Greeze06
AG
Should I start getting concerned with Breck for Spring Break?
JustPanda
AG
That's kinda a loaded question but I'll go ahead and give it a stab.

El Niño years are usually BRUTAL for Summit and Eagle counties but the snowfall is very bipolar. I'd look back at 2003/2004 as that year has thus far been a really high correlation to this year. That season was the WORST on record until March and then we picked up 10ft in 34 days. I remember it because I was a senior in HS and everyone that came Nov - Feb skied on rocks and then everyone that came in March was skiing on 20+ inches of powder until the end of the season. That was the last year we had unmitigated avalanches over I-70.

Not saying that will happen this year, but it's happened before.

I'd stay in a holding pattern and keep monitoring. If it's a 30 inch base or less, I'd reschedule, but it only takes a couple rollers to amp up the base. The problem thus far is they have 2 months of snow to make up.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Looking to push back my trip to Arapahoe Basin from early February to March with hopes of more snow. What dates should I stay away from to avoid the Spring Break crowds?
Yesterday
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Looking to push back my trip to Arapahoe Basin from early February to March with hopes of more snow. What dates should I stay away from to avoid the Spring Break crowds?

DFW spring break is 9-16. We'll be at Beaver Creek 11-15
JustPanda
AG
The whole valley is packed from the last week of Feb to the first week of April. It usually goes CA the last week of Feb and first week of March, FL the first and second week of March, TX the second and third week of March, and NY/East Coast the last week of March and 1st week of April.

For Sumco, the TX spring break is by far the busiest.
CavitationAG
AG
3" at Purg in the last 24 hrs. My parents sent me a video from their house in Hermosa this morning and there was tons of fresh snow and more falling. Me and my wife are headed up next week so this is all perfect timing for this trip.
MAS444
AG
Shifting gears a little...I just read that the Four Seasons is breaking ground in Mountain Village (Telluride) this spring. Curious as to anyone's thoughts as to how this new development will affect Tride/MV. I can see pluses and minuses for sure. A lot more people, which sucks.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Just started to snow in Hayden, near Steamboat.
JustPanda
AG
It's supposed to be a 100+ total units, so yeah it's a big one (80-90 unites plus suites plus penthouses). So yeah, lots more people and they are going to be using the MV parking garage as their valet overflow so a significant number of those garage spots will disappear which will totally suck but that's life.

Only other issue I've heard with it is Zehren (the architect and developer) is trying to get the MV noise ordinance enforced which will take out the T Ride festival from MV as they can't operate under the current MV metro district noise ordinance.

Same thing happened in BC when my dad build the Ritz. Ultimately, they came to a mutual agreement between the residences and the hotel to allow the apres music etc. I wouldn't be surprised if MV does the same thing and amends their noise ordinance to accommodate both parties but you never know.

I'll be hella sad if the reason T Ride dies is because of entitled owners at the 4 Seasons but I'm sure most of them are attorneys or have them on retainer which makes that battle all the more fun.
LRHF
AG
Roads in Durango this am were an absolute mess. Did a ton of sliding in my neighborhood just getting out (4x4 F-250 with good tires). There is a layer of ice on the roads with 2-4" inches of snow on top. I'm sure the city will catch up shortly but days like this can be a huge problem for some people

Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

The whole valley is packed from the last week of Feb to the first week of April. It usually goes CA the last week of Feb and first week of March, FL the first and second week of March, TX the second and third week of March, and NY/East Coast the last week of March and 1st week of April.

For Sumco, the TX spring break is by far the busiest.

Yep. It's a damn war caravan of white SUV's and Texas plates from Amarillo to Denver
JustPanda
AG
We got dust on crust, too. Probs a solid 1/4-1/2 inch ice layer under about 1.5-2 inches of snow. It took 82 a grand total of about 27 minutes this morning at rush hour before someone slid out and hit a RFTA bus going the opposite direction. Poor RFTA driver now has to get a DOT drug test. T&P for them.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Check your text messages, grey one.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Only other issue I've heard with it is Zehren (the architect and developer) is trying to get the MV noise ordinance enforced which will take out the T Ride festival from MV as they can't operate under the current MV metro district noise ordinance.
Which festival is this?

The old Ride festival that used to be held in town park is now held at the Ride Lounge and Sheridan in town - I wasn't aware of any MV venues. MV does have some outdoor live music but most of it is at Sunset Plaza and ends pretty early.

Just curious.
rather be fishing
AG
Assuming the Telluride Blue Grass Festival
MAS444
AG
Bluegrass Festival has always been in Town Park...in town. "FirstGrass" is always the night before the regular festival begins and is in MV but it's over early.
JustPanda
AG
It's the yoga festival.

Just talked to my in laws that live in Jackson and they said there isn't even enough snow right now to sled. Hopefully they pickup the forecast over the next 10 days but thought I'd relay that message.

Here is the exact message, "It's bare out here. Bare bones. Not even enough to go sled".

Hopefully that changes soon.
Jock 07
AG
Snowing down here in the springs right now.
Yesterday
AG
How does Park City look the next few weeks? Heading there February 4th.
JustPanda
AG
39 over 10 so regarding the base, you should be good. It's been really really icy so far this season but that should break for the next 14 or so days. Doesn't mean it'll be powder when you're there, but at least the base will be off the 30 year low. For a crappy year, good timing.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

39 over 10 so regarding the base, you should be good. It's been really really icy so far this season but that should break for the next 14 or so days. Doesn't mean it'll be powder when you're there, but at least the base will be off the 30 year low. For a crappy year, good timing.

Thanks. We're groomers anyhow so that will work for us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.