Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,873 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went a week straight without getting above freezing and now have freezing rain. Not sure if we'll be able to make the drive in tomorrow. Pretty crazy January so far.
JustPanda
AG
Headed to ski WC today. I'll lyk how it looks. They are at 67% of the average base so it may be a terrible idea, but we will see!

Edited to add: Looks like a small chance of snow from today through the weekend for Southern Colorado. Nothing heavy but maybe 4-8 inches.
LRHF
AG
JustPanda said:

Headed to ski WC today. I'll lyk how it looks. They are at 67% of the average base so it may be a terrible idea, but we will see!

Edited to add: Looks like a small chance of snow from today through the weekend for Southern Colorado. Nothing heavy but maybe 4-8 inches.

Light snow currently at Telly . The Durango weather guy is calling for 3-6" in the high country between Telluride and Red Mtn pass
Hoyt Ag
AG
It wants to snow here but I want to go fish. Decisions decisions.
LRHF
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

It wants to snow here but I want to go fish. Decisions decisions.

I'd go fishing because it's your Birthday!
Pahdz
At that fun age where my 13 yo daughter has sized out of youth skis (she's almost 5'5 120lbs) thus none of the season long lease programs at the local shops really work, but also probably not done growing so here am now trying to figure out what to do for her with boots and skis for the next two seasons.

What do you guys think? Get her something a little on the long side for now? Boots concern me a little because her feet are comically small for her age/size (she's still in a 6.5).
ChipFTAC01
AG
Can you not just buy with the intent of swapping at Ski swaps before/after season?
cp2011
AG
Thanks, everyone for all the info on this thread. I've gone through it all, but may have missed some things along the way, so apologies if this is a retread.

I know we're late to the party, but we had some miles and booked a flight to Denver for spring break. We don't have reservations anywhere yet, so I expect we'll be paying the procrastination premium for lodging anywhere we go, but I was hoping for some specific recommendations.

We have 3 kids (11, 10, & 7) who have never been skiing before & it's been 7+ years since the wife and I have been. We're looking for somewhere that'd be a good place for the kids to learn & have a good experience. Wife & I aren't serious downhillers, so a few, easy runs for us would be a plus.

Seems like Keystone might be our best bet, but maybe Steamboat has better conditions? Is Steamboat less subscribed than other places?
Pahdz
Yeah, I can, but I'm trying to avoid that because I hate messing with swaps and want to see if I can get something that might work for two seasons for her, maybe longer.

Of course she could grow 3" this year and I'm back in this boat again
maroon10
AG
I'm biased because we only go to Steamboat with our kids. They do their ski school and we love their blues. We like it because it's too far of a day trip for the Denver locals.
Pahdz
I hear people always mention Granby Ranch as a place that fits what you're family is looking for.
Jock 07
AG
If you're willing to pay steamboat is always an excellent choice. Friendliest locals I've come to find and avoids all the I-70 traffic. Can't speak to the ski school as I've never used it but have always heard great things about it. Logistically it's ideal as they have a solid, free city bus system so if flying into HDN you won't even need a car.
Jock 07
AG
Never been but have heard Granby Loveland and cooper are good beginner less expensive options as well
JustPanda
AG
I'd vote granny ranch too. You'll all basically be learning. You'll pay way less for lodging and lessons than a Vail Resorts or Alterra hill. Overall, you're going to pay out the nose for lift tickets at this point in the season unless you rent through keystone resort but you'll probs be spending more on lodging.
Pahdz
Ended up finding some 2023 Elan Wildcat 82 CX in a perfect length for my daughter to grow into. JP I know you're a fan of Elan's I think, these seem like a good front side ski for her to progress in.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah that's a nice all mountain carver.
jpb1999
AG
JustPanda said:

How was WC?
JustPanda
AG
We got a probs 3 inch float coat. It was nice but they need snow in spots still. Trees are filled in but rutted up pretty hard. They have a lot of snow but if you know what it usually looks like at this point, you can tell they are having a tough year. Overall probs like an 8.2/10.
jpb1999
AG
I know you are way more expert and may not have took any of the groomed runs, but if you did, are those at least good?
docb
AG
jpb1999 said:

I know you are way more expert and may not have took any of the groomed runs, but if you did, are those at least good?
I think you will be fine anywhere in Colorado skiing right now. There has been a lot of snow recently.
'03ag
There's been some talk of kids gear so thought I'd throw my 2 cents in

I'm not an experienced skier at all but we've had the kids(now 4 and 6) to Red River the last 3 years. Just went over New years. It's not that cold there so take that FWIW. It almost always hits high 20s, sometimes low 30s. We've used a few cheap Amazon things like mittens and the kids have never complained about being cold.

Jackets and bibs though....My advice, hit up facebook marketplace and buy good name brand gear, lightly used. If you can't find any, get the best deal you can find on good stuff, new.

It's more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run. They'll wear it one season and then you'll turn around and sell it for basically what you paid for it. We do this every year.

In fact my 4 year old is done with this bib/jacket combo from Spyder. It's up for sale. In Colleyville. $70

JustPanda
AG
Groomers will be nice.
agracer
AG
Not skiing related, but anyone suggest a good snow mobile tour near winter park? Thinking of teaming a day off from skiing and doing that one day.
ChipFTAC01
AG
JustPanda said:

35% off Minus33 w this code:

3P523-GNKUWP

If you guys want a code for Minus33 etc please lmk. Don't try to use the above code as it's a one time only use.

Thanks. Got the wife and I new set. $50/piece is a bit more tolerable.
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

Yeah shoot me an email
Sent you an email last week - just want to make sure you got it?
JustPanda
AG
Yeah - I'll grab it. I'm slammed today.
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

Yeah - I'll grab it. I'm slammed today.
No prob, not a huge rush just wanted to make sure nothing fell through the cracks
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
JP: Is there a chance you can get me pricing on the QST 106 with Marker Duke PT (12 or 16)?
JustPanda
AG
Yup. My dad just passed away today but I'll get to it sometime today soon. Send us some prayers if you guys and gals don't mind. Time to book my flight for muster.
CCred92
AG
agracer said:

Not skiing related, but anyone suggest a good snow mobile tour near winter park? Thinking of teaming a day off from skiing and doing that one day.
We always use Grand Adventures. .
JustPanda
AG
What length?
Tecolote
AG
JustPanda said:

Yup. My dad just passed away today but I'll get to it sometime today soon. Send us some prayers if you guys and gals don't mind. Time to book my flight for muster.
Prayers sent. Lost my dad about 10 months ago. It was expected as his health was very bad, but expected or unexpected, tough to lose a parent. Hope you and your family find peace in this difficult time.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

So sorry to hear about your dad. Seriously, don't worry about getting to it… I can wait a good while. Take care of your family and hug your loved ones.
jpb1999
AG
Thoughts and prayers, Panda!!
MouthBQ98
AG
Fwiw, my wife is 5'5" and has size 6.5 feet. She might not outgrow anything you get, necessarily. Some ladies have smaller feet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.