Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,923 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HUEY04 said:

Now I just need to go find a good sports bar

There are a few on Main Street. It's smaller, but I prefer Davanza's.
HUEY04
AG
I ended up at No Name Saloon to watch the game, totally packed but a cool place and excellent service even with the crowd. May have to check out Davanzas tomorrow
FincAg
AG
Had a fun day at Eldora with the family. Broke in the New Year with an awesome FIRST. First full day on the slopes with our boys, 5 and 8, without lessons. No more magic carpets!

Felt like a spring break sort of day 35 and sunny. 20" base so only greens and blues open but perfect for the kids.
RangerRick9211
AG
I feel this in my bones. Our freshly minted 5 yr. old is on the literal slopes. I feel shocked at the fact. She started at 3 and went from tripping to ripping overnight. Wtf.

Snow is on the way for all. We have our first batch of big Arctic air for most this week.

Boo and I skied again today. Grateful.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm so excited. I'm trying to remain calm and not get my hopes up but each day the forecast keeps confirming it. Hopefully this blast means the lower elevation resorts (Hoodoo, Mt A, Shasta) can finally open!
rather be fishing
AG
The 14-day looks optimistic

MouthBQ98
AG
I'll try. Our trip got moved to end of February. Lift tickets under $50 during the week right now.

I am a first chair to last chair of the day type skier so a couple dozen runs is doable if the lift lines are short.
Jock 07
AG
At keystone today. Can't really speak to conditions as I've just been lapping the bunny hill with my son. Probably fixin to hit the ****show that is schoolmarm on a day like this.
LRHF
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'll try. Our trip got moved to end of February. Lift tickets under $50 during the week right now.

I am a first chair to last chair of the day type skier so a couple dozen runs is doable if the lift lines are short.

Lord willing, I'm going to be in Patagonia late February through mid March. I'll tell ya this- I drank a couple liters of water, ate pizza on the lift and had a coke. My early morning runs were fast but I slowed Down to avoid any collisions or ski patrol issues later in the morning. Modified my snowboarding style to not crouch a ton given the big day I expected. Hit the trees in the edges of the main runs for quick bio breaks…. Definitely took a little planning. Chose the 6 pack lift in lieu of wasting time to get back to lift 8 and happy with this choice. Pretty sure it was a Friday but wouldn't do this on a weekend.

I'm pulling for ya, it's a big effort!

Jock 07
AG
Was pleasantly surprised by the snow at keystone today. Again I was only on the green runs with my boy but pretty decent coverage and only a few spots with some rocks/gravel that I think I mostly avoided. Would have liked to check out that new bowl they just opened up, but oh well, maybe later in the season if I can break away from work one day after a storm blows through.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Heard it was good Saturday morning (grand public opening) but pretty rough afterwards from various coworkers & friends.
JustPanda
AG
I heard the same. Rule of thumb is stick to the groomers in the morning and then once the sun loosens up the refreeze start the venture out.
Jock 07
AG
Yea I can imagine it all got skied off and frozen over pretty quick. I'm sure the lines must've been insane as well.
RK
AG
Purg still sucks. ice/mud fest. supposed to be getting some snow as early as tomorrow. But, at least it's warm and sunny so beers on the beach don't suck.
JustPanda
AG
27over ten expected at Purg
32 over ten expected at WC
19 over ten at Telly
10 over 10 at Snowmass
12 over 10 at Vail
9 over 10 at BC
4 over 10 at Breck
2 over 10 at Keystone

Setting up well for the San Juan's and Sangres. Sawatch not too bad, Gore catching a little, Sumco still really not catching much at all. Really gonna be bad in 10 if they only catch 4-5 inches.

Edit to updated numbers
JustPanda
AG
Here's the Summit Ranch snowpack.

5% percentile and headed for the worst in the last 30 if the forecast holds.

aggolfer
AG
Just got back from Breckenridge. Snow was OK but by far the worst its been in the 5 years we have been going there. It was more like NM than CO.
Pahdz
Panda...any news on those bibs?
JustPanda
AG
Yeah - can you email me the size and which one again? So sorry.

Just got confirm on the senders, pivots and bamboo sticks too.

I'll have some down town the next couple of days if anyone else needs anything.
Pahdz
Sent
aggiesed8r
AG
Any recommendations on leather glove repair? I have a pair of Hestra that I bought 4-5 years ago. I don't have the receipt so they won't honor the warranty. Coming apart at the seam, not a tear.
rather be fishing
AG
Hestra has a pretty decent warranty if it's not normal wear and tear.

I have a pair of Falt Guides and the liner was jacked up. They replaced them no problem.

Sorry - just read that again and saw you didn't have the receipt. Maybe tell them they were a gift and receipt wasn't included?
JustPanda
AG
Waterproof fabric tape is what I use.
JustPanda
AG
New forecast just posted. Big jumps in the San Juans, Sangres, Gores and Sawatch. Summit still lagging way behind…

Snowmass - 22 inches expected over 10
Vail/BC - 15-18 inches expected over 10
Keystone/Breck - 5-7 inches expected over 10
WC - 56 inches over 10
Purgatory - 48 inches over 10

I know I keep saying it, but if you're headed to Summit County, I'd really look at going anywhere else in the state as the conditions are FAR FAR better.

Edit to add: 24 inches forecasted for SS.
JustPanda
AG
Take a picture for me and I'll forward it to Hestra from our work email. Worst case, mail them to me and I'll hand them off to the Western Rockies Hestra rep and be like "yo homie, not it". 99% of the time they will replace it without asking if it comes from us on the business side.
jpb1999
AG
WC - 56 inches over 10
JustPanda
AG
Haha yeah - Southern Colorado is picking up more in 10 days than what Summit County has had drop since early November. WC 5 ft, Purg 4ft. Breck 5 inches and Keystone 4 inches. That's just cruel of the snow gods.

Needless to say; BE CAREFUL if you're driving 287 to Texline and then up through Raton. From Texline to Raton to Pagosa to Durango to Red Mountain is gonna be a !?>%# when these rollers hit.
aggiesed8r
AG
Thank you so much.

JustPanda
AG
Some other graphs that really show where you want to be and don't want to be skiing:

Please note Park City expects 32 inches over 10 and JH expects 26 over 10. Combine that w Purg at 48 and WC at high 50s and their graphs should improve dramatically. JH is still in the worst year in the last 30 but that should get better after this storm. Still won't be great but it's take it off the baseline. The ones that's really blow my mind are Breck and Keystone compared to Vail/BC/Snowmass. You'll see Keystone is on the worst year recorded in the last 30 and Breck isn't too far away. Meanwhile BC is right on its average and Vail/Snowmass are just under too but should be back to about average if not slightly above average after these rollers.

Moral of the story: if you're skiing MLK day, you want to be in UT, Southern CO, or Steamboat for the BEST conditions, Gore/Sawatch for Above Average conditions, and avoiding Summit if possible because they will likely be in the same spot maybe slightly better but honestly more likely to be slightly worse over 10. Most places in CO will be full open after these rollers. Summit might not get enough to drop anything though. So, more skiers on less open = more icy and more shave.

Super sorry if I'm annoying you guys w all the graphs.

JustPanda
AG
Do you have my email? If so shoot me an email and we can get those sent in and replaced. If you need a set in the interim, please lmk. I have a couple sets of Fall Line and Alpine 9's and a set of Fall Line 10s along w some Swanys I can send ya outta my old glove pile.
RangerRick9211
AG
This Arctic air is no joke and lingering for a while. 10 day totals in the Cascades are pegging the charts. Even here in the valley we're looking at snow (not that abnormal), but also a few days with lows in single digits (very abnormal).
JustPanda
AG
To everyone that keeps asking me about
keystone night skiing, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be on that hill at all much less at night when it's super icy and ROCK HARD. Plus low visibility and low snow is a recipe for destroyed gear.
Jock 07
AG
Damn, just looked at the temp forecast for Vail on the 12th (when I'm planning on making a day trip up as I'm off work) and it's calling for highs in the mid teens. Haven't skied that cold in quite some time. Probably not since big sky & whitefish a few years ago.
JustPanda
AG
I got lots of hand and toe warmers at the shop

Edit to add: if you ever use toe warmers, stick the adhesive to the top of the toe box not the bottom. If you put it in the bottom, you change the contour of the insole and risk burning your feet VERY badly.
Jock 07
AG
I'd concur, was on schoolmarm a lot with my son yesterday and we came off the mountain by 230 cause it was already getting pretty well scraped off and icy by then. Can't imagine how much worse with another couple hours of beating and then the re-freeze setting in. Have night skied a handful of times at keystone and steamboat and have never really understood the draw. Cold, can't see ****, and it's always damn icy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.