Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,876 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like JHMR?
East Dallas Ag
AG
Didn't it just sell?
RangerRick9211
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

rak1693 said:

Is Deer Valley still skiing only? It's been a while since I've been but I loved it. It was excellent snow as I remember and without snowboarders, it wasn't very crowded. I guess the price there can also hinder the large crowds.
Best spot in the country. Limited lift ticket sales and no boarders.
I know lot's of places with no lift tickets, no boarders or even skiers around!

Price of entry is a skin track and sweat (and avy training):

Alpental / Snow Lake / Chair Peak from last year.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah. Mr. Kemmerer.
JustPanda
AG
Yes but I don't think the sale has finalized.
Sims
AG
JustPanda said:

How many days will they be skiing? Where will you be staying? What rental shop will you be using? Do you only want to ski Breck or do you think the kids will want a day at Vail too?

If you're skiing the 26-31 you'll want to buy day passes now. The Epic Local is blacked out on those days. If not, the Local is $377 for unlimited which breaks even at 6 days. If you're going to be skiing ANY of those days then id do the epic day passes + restricted days. I think thats about $61 a day. The epic local gets you unlimited riding at Breck. The earlier you buy the better as they go up in price on the 19th and stop being sold first to mid December.

If you need rentals, I work at the Charter Sports in Vail but can't get you a deal if you book one of the spots in Breck. Hope you have a great trip

Most of us will probably ski 2 - 3 days between the 17th and 21st. There would be 8 of us renting equipment (my vapor hasn't bit the dust yet after 15 years)

Could we get the rentals in Vail? I love a deal. Would we do that through the website or you directly? We'll be there around noon on 16th so it wouldn't be a big deal to drive over.

Should we buy ahead of time or just at the window since we aren't in the blackout days and skiing less than 6?
rather be fishing
AG
I need to get a new pair of ski pants or bibs. What are you guys wearing?
JustPanda
AG
Def buy at least 2 or 3 day passes early or you'll be paying $200 plus per day for adults at the window once day pass sales close. The early season day pass is actually the same rate as the employee purchase options for friends and family (except that goes season long for employees) so it's a really good deal. You're essentially getting the employee rate and not having to work for a ****ty company to earn it.

I can get you in Vail. That'd actually be easier for me. Make the reservation online at Charter Sports - pick the 660 Lionshead - LSL location and once you make the reservation, just email me the reservation number and I'll look at it on Tuesday when I'm in the office. Super easy.

At $82 a day for demo skis, boots, helmets, and poles, if you have 8 adults skiing 2 days each I can probs save you $650-$700 on a $1,300 total so a solid deal. It's hard for me to comp a group that size but 50% + helmets for free and free upgrade to demo isnt an issue.

Edited to add: I just went online and did a 16 day demo rental (8x2):

You normally get a 30% off for booking online.

The 30% off + helmets + tax came out to $1396.82 = $87.30 / day per person after tax
50% (or more) + free helmets + tax came out to $866.45 = $54.15 / day per person after tax

So, it'll save you $530+ or more if you ski 3 days. Pretty solid deal. Having anyone rent kids or performance gear will lower that price.

Edited to add: We will also make sure you're on really good gear (I'll hand pick it myself) and also make sure your boots are fit correctly. Most rental shops put you in boots that are way too big and don't really care since they just want you out the door. We will give you a couple different size options depending on your ski level and I can make sure the skis have a fresh coat of graphite wax. We may even offer you a beer and a fresh chocolate chip cookie (just dont tell on us about the beers or judge us for having PBR or Hamms).

You can also leave the gear at any of the Charter Sports in Breck and they will return it free of charge to us in Vail. Saves you a trip back over Vail Pass.

Just J Havens @ gmail.com
JustPanda
AG
I wear Virtika bibs and jacket and they are the best and warmest I've ever had. I use Hestra Fall Line gloves, Burton glove liners, SMITH Vantage helmet, Smith I/O Mag goggles and smart wools socks. Last season I picked up a pair of the grass stick poles and love them.

If you tell me what you'd like, I can probs get a pro deal on them for you.

686 also has a solid apparel line.
Yesterday
AG
Anyone else read justpanda in a Spicoli voice?
SockDePot
Pignorant said:

Booked trip to ski Beaver Creek middle of December in addition to our Whitefish trip in February.

We'll be in whitefish pres day. Is that when youre going?

If so, any idea what days are the busiest and that weekend? Or is the whole thing an a show?
Pignorant
AG
We'll be skiing Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

I don't want to jinx it, but I don't remember it being that bad two years ago. After lunch time you can get quite a few laps in.

We go on MLK weekend most years and I've never felt the crowds were too much.

On a sunny day the views into Glacier National Park from the top of the ski mountain are spectacular.
Pahdz
Whitefish

Worry less about crowds and more about being socked in. Fog can be brutal
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Anyone have any insight into Park City on places to eat, ski schools, rentals, etc? Going with family over Christmas break and will have 2 kids that need lessons.

Silver Star Cafe is great. Think Guy Fieri has been there on his DDD show.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Pahdz said:

Whitefish

I had a buddy who used to work there so we made a trip up there years ago. I remember coming down from the top(?) and hardly could see about 25' in front of me it was so foggy.
Pahdz
I would have taken 25' last year
Jock 07
AG
Day off today so took advantage to get on the mountain for the first time this year at Keystone and first time on the mountain after breaking my collar bone in Garmisch last year. Got some Katana 191s & Salomon S Pro 170s in the off season that I'm getting to know today as well.

Jock 07
AG
Lookin around pretty sure all the front range military folks are here at keystone today. It really is an amazing deal.
rather be fishing
AG
That's awesome. We're still waiting on the snow up here. My slope in the Idaho panhandle had like 9" of pack as of yesterday. I'm pretty sure they got more overnight/today.
JustPanda
AG
I probably skied past you
Jock 07
AG
rather be fishing said:

Picked up a pair of Kendo 88s and some used, but significantly upgraded boots at a ski swap today. One ski has a spot where to top sheet is cut but should be able to glue it back down pretty easy. Bottoms are in great shape. Couldn't say no to $200.

Great ski! I bought a demo pair and had skied on them for a decade. I just upgraded to the Katanas cause I wanted something a bit wider under foot.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, I'm 6'8" if you saw anyone that big it was probably me.
JustPanda
AG
If you need help doctoring the top sheet back, lmk. That's one of the things I do all the time in the shop: Relam peeling top sheets otherwise people think you're giving them crappy gear.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

If you need help doctoring the top sheet back, lmk. That's one of the things I do all the time in the shop: Relam peeling top sheets otherwise people think you're giving them crappy gear.
I think I got it sealed down well. We'll see how it holds up.
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

From CDOT:

A chain law restriction for vehicles weighing less than 16,001 poundsincluding passenger vehicles, crossovers, SUVs and small truckscan be put into effect in Colorado at any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades.

Just moved back after being gone for 7 years so maybe it's changed, but I seem to remember there being an exception if you have a 4WD truck and/or 3 Peak mountain snowflake tires?
Jock 07
AG
Pahdz said:

Whitefish

Yup this was a few years ago up there with an inversion in place.
SockDePot
Pignorant said:

We'll be skiing Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

I don't want to jinx it, but I don't remember it being that bad two years ago. After lunch time you can get quite a few laps in.

We go on MLK weekend most years and I've never felt the crowds were too much.

On a sunny day the views into Glacier National Park from the top of the ski mountain are spectacular.

This will be our 3rd trip there, only ever gone during spring break. I love everything about that place, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

We'll be skiing Fri-Mon. Maybe a day off in there.

JustPanda
AG
4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16" tread depth

Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16" tread depth

Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16" tread depth

Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16" tread depth

Chains or an approved alternative traction device
RangerRick9211
AG
rather be fishing said:

That's awesome. We're still waiting on the snow up here. My slope in the Idaho panhandle had like 9" of pack as of yesterday. I'm pretty sure they got more overnight/today.

Schweitzer? You guys have a good system today / tomorrow. Baker is seeing 2' today.

Snow is still lackluster on Hood, but I'm heading to NorCal next week to grab our new mobile chateau (Sprinter van). Then lot's of prep on it for Bach's opening weekend on T-day. We'll be in the RV lot, lol, no idea what I'm doing - ****ters full, though!
rather be fishing
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

rather be fishing said:

Schweitzer? You guys have a good system today / tomorrow. Baker is seeing 2' today.

Yep. It's just been raining at the house for the last week or so. Instagram looks like they're getting a good dump today. 2 weeks till open
rather be fishing
AG
512Ag
AG
I know it's not fancy or anything, but what's the snow like at Ski Apache near Ruidoso between Christmas and New Years? Thinking about making a quick run out there with the family.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My guess is things are still really thin at ruidoao in december
chickencoupe16
AG
512Ag said:

I know it's not fancy or anything, but what's the snow like at Ski Apache near Ruidoso between Christmas and New Years? Thinking about making a quick run out there with the family.

I have been once for my bachelor party and first time skiing ever. Tore my ACL and meniscus. 2 friends that are good skiers went down the only open blue and wound up sliding down on their asses because it was pure ice.

No actual idea if this is representative of other years but it was awful January 2017. Having skiied a few times since and gotten much better, I'd go if I happened to be in Ruidoso but I'd never go to Ruidoso to ski unless they were having a great year. But maybe some others that are more knowledgeable will chime in.
Tecolote
AG
512Ag said:

Unless some out of the usual storms come through, snow conditions then aren't very good down there

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.