Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,911 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trip98
AG
thanks for the offer. If we were skiing vail I'd do that first day and take you up on offer. We're sticking at keystone so just going to rent from Blue Valley where we've rented before
h1ag
AG
rather be fishing said:

I know everyone is in peak excitement about downhill right now, but I have a cross country situation I want to get sorted this year.

I need to make a track setter to pull with my tractor so we can get a circuit around our property for my wife. Anyone have experience with something like that?

Tractor is an 18hp 4x4 with chains so I shouldn't have any problem as long as I can stay on top of it. I just need to know the basics on what the setter needs to have. I've found a few different designs online to give me an idea. Looking for any other insight.
I've thought about this for our place, and I think I am cheap enough, I'm going to give it a shot with a box blade and no scarifiers this year.

A quick google search shows at least some folks who use a plow blade on the conveyance of their choosing and raise it just a bit off the ground before heading off.

I'll be curious to see what better solutions you come up with! lol
JustPanda
AG
I can ask the Vail Nordic Center guys what they recommend. They both work w me PT at the shop. Probs is a lot like doing a moto cross course I'd imagine.
rather be fishing
AG
h1ag said:

rather be fishing said:

I know everyone is in peak excitement about downhill right now, but I have a cross country situation I want to get sorted this year.

I need to make a track setter to pull with my tractor so we can get a circuit around our property for my wife. Anyone have experience with something like that?

Tractor is an 18hp 4x4 with chains so I shouldn't have any problem as long as I can stay on top of it. I just need to know the basics on what the setter needs to have. I've found a few different designs online to give me an idea. Looking for any other insight.
I've thought about this for our place, and I think I am cheap enough, I'm going to give it a shot with a box blade and no scarifiers this year.

A quick google search shows at least some folks who use a plow blade on the conveyance of their choosing and raise it just a bit off the ground before heading off.

I'll be curious to see what better solutions you come up with! lol
I found a guy on Facebook marketplace in Minnesota who makes them. I'm going to see how much it would be to have one shipped. Might go that route if it's in the $3-400 range. Otherwise, I'll dig around my scrap wood pile and see what I can come up with.
jrm90
AG
Panda Where do you work in Vail! My sister and parents live in Lionshead?
h1ag
AG
Nice!

On the far other end of the spectrum, I did just find this video on how to make a track setter for a sled or ATV, if this helps with inspiration:

(4) I built a Homemade Trail Groomer For Skiing, With Track Setter : xcountryskiing (reddit.com)

This might be a good practice project for us up here once my wife gets her metalworking set up for Christmas. Or I might get impatient and build it out of dimensional lumber like the guy in the video.
rather be fishing
AG
h1ag said:

Nice!

On the far other end of the spectrum, I did just find this video on how to make a track setter for a sled or ATV, if this helps with inspiration:

(4) I built a Homemade Trail Groomer For Skiing, With Track Setter : xcountryskiing (reddit.com)

This might be a good practice project for us up here once my wife gets her metalworking set up for Christmas. Or I might get impatient and build it out of dimensional lumber like the guy in the video.
Yeah, I've seen that one. I've got enough scrap sitting around I could build that grooming frame but my worry would be that it would rot out in a couple of years. Plus, it's huge and bulky, but it would probably be nice to have a wider swath groomed.

Here's what I found on marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/286405814245148/

I'm kind of thinking if I get that and decide I want the larger groomer, I can always build it and pull the setter behind the groomer.
Pahdz
ya know...one of my daughters soccer teammates dad's is the sup at Theo Wirth GC here in Minneapolis and they are a huge spot for CC skiing, I'll see if he's got a recommendation
HUEY04
AG
Awesome, thanks! I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
txam92
AG
Every year I take a Christmas ski trip and this is the first year to Breck. Any suggestions on places to eat, as well as good areas to ski would be appreciated. For reference I can ski groomed blacks without an issue and are continually taking lessons to handle bumps and rougher terrain. I love finding areas where you can go for a whole morning/afternoon and ski several different runs that funnel down to one or two lifts that go back up so you can do a different one. Example would be the back bowls at Vail or someplace like all the runs that funnel in to Rendezvoux at Steamboat. Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
I work PT for Charter Sports. If anyone coming to Vail or BC wants a free tour guide for the day lmk. I can show you a lot of really cool jibs and stashes you won't find on the trail map.
rather be fishing
AG

Guess whose legs are very out of shape...
smstork1007
AG
Looking at a getting a place in BC sometime early next year, so might just take you up on that, plus lots of outfitting if we bite that bullet.
JustPanda
AG
Hella bummed the PO was late w your bibs. Looks like a great day to have them

I'll be up at Vail tomorrow. Hoping for another 6-8 inches overnight.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Hella bummed the PO was late w your bibs. Looks like a great state have them

I'll be up at Vail tomorrow. Hoping for another 6-8 inches overnight.

Hopefully they'll get in today. It's warm as hell up here today so not a big deal
JustPanda
AG
Just checked and delivered to front door! Whoop! I was thinking they were going to get there until Monday.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Just checked and delivered to front door! Whoop! I was thinking they were going to get there until Monday.

They are perfect. Good call on sizing up.
Pahdz
JP I need to get my 13 yo daughter some new pants/bibs. She'd need an adult small I think at 5'4 115. Can you still order from Virtika?
JustPanda
AG
Don't thank me. I was voting medium. That was ALL Dave. Hope you like them. If you ever need more of want to score a jacket, let me know.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. Just gotta tell me what she'd like color scheme wise.

https://www.virtika.com/style-guide/

My wife is 5'6 109 and she can fit both the small if she wants a more traditional fit or the medium if she wants a baggier fit.

Edit to add:

All of their outerwear for pants also come with an attachable bib. I prefer to wear them as a bib, but they can be worn as pants.
Pahdz
I can't tell from the site what's the color difference from Lance and Apollo/Eclipse? They both look black.

JustHavens at Gmail right?
JustPanda
AG
So I have both of those and I can't tell the difference either… They are different year drops so my guess is they are the "black" for each.

Yup that's it
rather be fishing
AG
Pahdz said:

I can't tell from the site what's the color difference from Lance and Apollo/Eclipse? They both look black.

JustHavens at Gmail right?

go with the Aloha
Jock 07
AG
Coming down pretty good here in the springs, hopefully falling even more up in the mountains.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Coming down pretty hard in Meeker and I would bet Steamboat is getting a ton. I saw on FB Rabbit ears has like 3 foot already today
ChipFTAC01
AG
I need a new carryon boot bag. Anyone have any recs? I've been getting a ton of ads for a new bag from wildhorn outfitters but it seems a little too bulky.
Jock 07
AG
I've had a dakine, similar to this, that has lasted me ~10 years so far. Fits my boots, helmet goggles and gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Boot-Pack-Liter-Black/dp/B001GUI25I?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
jrm90
AG
Guess the mountain
Pahdz
our entire family has this bag in different colors. It's not a super known brand but they're awesome and have held up being checked on flights multiple times

Unigear Ski Boot Bag, 50L Ski Boot Travel Backpack for Ski Helmet, Goggles, Gloves, Skis, Snowboard & Accessories https://a.co/d/0bpqp7Z
LRHF
AG
jrm90 said:

Guess the mountain

Deer Valley
jrm90
AG
Winner!
rather be fishing
AG
Anyone else have to get a toboggan ride down the hill today or just me?

My right quad seized and I sat in the middle of the hill for probably 30 minutes trying to get it stretched out. Someone thought I looked pitiful and called ski patrol to haul me off.

I guess I'll be doing lunges all week to try and get this fixed.
JustPanda
AG
10 inches and rising in Vail this morning. Took out the 121s. Such a sick morning.
JustPanda
AG
I'm dying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.