Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,863 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Backcountry or front side? Shifts make me think both.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm probably not going to be in the market for another year or so (Kendos are treating me well), but I can get discounts through Expert Voice and Outdoor Prolink for Icelantic, Fischer, Black Diamond, Movement, Dynafit, and Weston, Folsom, DPS, Liberty, Hagan, and Zag.

Any of those brands that I should avoid? I may look at getting a designated powder ski since the Kendos are pretty narrow under foot.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
InfantryAg said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

JP had a screaming deal but I got impatient and wanted to get them now since the snow is coming. Got them from my local ski shop, which is always nice to support.
Nice to support, but my shop is pretty bad. Sales people (obvious some don't ski); Away from the mountain.

I'll probably check at the shop in Mt Shasta (the town) or may just come up to Ashland to get some footbeds made and any work on my new boots done.

Rogue Ski Shop is my local one and they are very good. It's in Medford.

The Fifth Season in Shasta is pretty good. I've never bought anything from them but I have used them for tuning/waxing and liked the service.
InfantryAg
AG
JustPanda said:

Backcountry or front side? Shifts make me think both.
70-80% front side.

(Next season I'll get a dedicated backcountry set, to go with those radical pin bindings.)
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just rolled into Durango for a couple days at Purg this weekend. Looks like it'll be warm but at least they got a couple inches in the last 24 hrs to help.

Ski Barn gave me Fischer XTR Pro MTN 80s which are the skinniest ski I've ridden in a long time. Curious how it'll feel. Can always swap em if I don't enjoy it but we'll see.
txaggie05
AG
Was in Breck last week and got put on a set of Elan Ripstick 96s. I fell in love. So fun to ski on with effortless transitions between turns and they handled well in all conditions. I ski mostly front side blue/black groomers trying to push speed (70% of the time), some quick dashes into the trees and some bowls and the they did everything very well. Was on an older set (22s?) and the only thing I didn't love is how they wanted to chatter on steep icy afternoon snow on Peak 10. Was gonna pounce on a set of 24s on the cheap this spring ahead of next season, but just read up on the new redesigned 25s and sounds like they are supposed to be even smoother. Guess I'll be waiting and fork over current season money. Oh well. Only get in a handful of days each year and looking for a good one-ski quiver.
JustPanda
AG
Great set of skis. It's a carbon fiber core so you're gonna catch toe chatter at higher speeds. You can't really out length it. I've tried. It's one of the things you sacrifice w the lower weight.

Imagine how great they will ski off those clunker rental bindings, too…
JustPanda
AG
I actually get next seasons release at a bigger discount than this seasons at this point. The order won't be delivered until October of this year, but it's usually 50-70% MSRP. If you're going to be around the Vail valley, lmk.
txaggie05
AG
Yeah - very true about the chatter especially with how light and flexible the shovel is. Definitely wasn't enough to turn me off because it does so much so well. I legit had fun skiing that ski.

I will definitely keep that in mind! Probably not super likely, but if it's enough of a discount to make it worth my while, never say never! Appreciate it!
Jock 07
AG
Yup chatter is the main reason I stuck with the non carbon, heavier katanas.
SockDePot
Whitefish report from day 1, starting day 2 in 30 min.

Best weather we've ever had here, sunny and cold. Got lucky and they got 16"+ earlier this week. Got some awesome clear weather pics from the summit with the family.

Surprisingly not very crowded yesterday, we'Ll see how today's.

Might post some pics late today or tomorrow, tomorrow is day off.
Pahdz
Great to hear, glad they got a lot last week. Curious how the weekend crowds are. Both times I've been previously have been midweek and it's so nice with no waits.

Whitefish on a clear day has views that can only be topped by Tahoe
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had a great day at Breck yesterday. Dumped starting on Thursday afternoon to this morning. Definitely more people in the mountain yesterday but still never waited more than about 5 minutes for a lift. Managed to get about 110k' ft this week.
JustPanda
AG
Headed back to CO today! Excited to be home but sad to leave the sunshine and warm weather
rather be fishing
AG
Rocking Nordic poles today. Weather is awesome, nice and sunny. Crowds will probably be effing ridiculous.
dr_boogs
AG
Ski'd Palisades at Lake Tahoe the last 3 days. Was up for a work meeting so stayed on-site at the Everline resort. Wednesday was wet snow and no viz. Got 12-16 inches of powder Wednesday night. Thursday snow was excellent viz still bad but better than Wednesday. Friday snow was excellent and viz was overcast to partly cloudy, finally got a good look of Lake Tahoe. First time to ski Palisades and Alpine. Enjoyed it, would ski it again.

Jock 07
AG
Only skiied it once but loved squaw
rather be fishing
AG

Gorgeous today
GarlandAg2012
AG
Question for the seasoned vets. I'm a 6-10 day per year skier, mostly in CO. I currently have goggles with a standard 17% VLT lens. I want to purchase another lens for lower light days. Would you go Storm Pink at 30% VLT or Low Light Yellow at 45% VLT?

There's also a "clear" 80% VLT option but that seems too extreme.
rather be fishing
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Question for the seasoned vets. I'm a 6-10 day per year skier, mostly in CO. I currently have goggles with a standard 17% VLT lens. I want to purchase another lens for lower light days. Would you go Storm Pink at 30% VLT or Low Light Yellow at 45% VLT?

There's also a "clear" 80% VLT option but that seems too extreme.

New goggles or just a new lens? I think all of the Smith models with changeable lenses include a low light lens when you buy them new.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just a new lens. I have a pair of smiths that I like but my GF got me a pair of Rekkie goggles with a HUD and I really like them so I'm gonna get a second lens for them.
rather be fishing
AG
I had yellow for the low light on my last pair of Smiths and I felt like it gave me good contrast. I've heard from a lot of people that don't like them though.
JustPanda
AG
Yellow VLT at 40% seems very low. Usually they are 45-65%+. If that's the choice then that's it, but I'd def not go under a 40% VLT. My Storm Yellows are 64%.

IMO - I'd get a low light lens on the Smiths and use them as the low light and the others as your everyday / high light. Personally, I'd have a hard time throwing down $$$ for a 40% VLT non photochromatic lens.

I've been going deep down the lens rabbit hole recently, and I'll second the above mention that a lot of people don't like yellow lens. I even mentioned how much I prefer my persimmon and rose and mirror blue to the yellow in an earlier post.

The short answer is anything w a higher VLT is going to pay dividends compared to what you're riding now.

The long story is you may want to explore a different lens/goggle combo if the only options are what you listed.
GarlandAg2012
AG
It's 45, not 40. But your main points are well taken.

I have the rose storm for my smiths and feel like they're adequate but I only got them last year so not enough experience in stormy days to be sure.
Pahdz
we finally got a nice 5" this week in MN so heading out to Welch Village tomorrow to get some turns in for the first time this season
InfantryAg
AG
50 pages plus here, in less than 6 months. Maybe JP should be paid for driving traffic.

Personally, what I have learned in these pages is significantly increasing my skiing capability and just fun.

I would say it should be stickied, but it's usually on the front page anyway
Pahdz
Glad a ski thread finally found a home. In prior years it was the travel board or the H&F board.

Just needed to find a higher traffic forum.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Awesome day at Shasta today. Tomorrow is going to be even better as it is ****ing dumping right now.

https://i.imgur.com/NqNDGvq.mp4
JustPanda
AG
If you were a customer at the shop this would be my advice:

Maybe buy both and see which resonates most? I personally prefer Rose/Persimmon to Yellow. I don't think there's a bad choice there, just wanted to highlight what I found

I don't think the Rose at 30 VLT will offer you that much of a different experience. That's a pretty low VLT for a Rose lens. Your Smith Rose Storm are a 50% VLT. That's where I'm kinda scratching my head on what to do….If it was me and I was having to make the decision, I'd probs just go with the Rose Storm when it's couldy. It's photochromatic and has a higher VLT than what you'd be buying. Overall, the Storm Rose is going to give you the most performance in low / flat light given the options provided or for purchase. Since you're on a VLT that's less than 20%, you will be shocked by the advantages you get from the rose and yellow. I feel like the rose would be the best overall choice as it has the VLT and the range to really cover the low light days well and that's what you're trying to do.

I'd just be hard pressed to throw down money on a yellow 45 VLT when you have the Storm Rose 50% VLT in your quiver already.

There's nothing wrong with having multiple sets of goggles, I have 4/5

To anyone that's skiing in a single lens set, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$$ to close as much of the gap as you can. I PROMISE, you'll thank me later. Good boots and good goggles can instantly change your ski experience and level up your ability.

Edit to add: Thinking about it more…. I think you'd be better off buying a new Smith Blue Mirror Sensor lens.

Here why: it's the OG Smith lens that's been built on for the last 20+ years, it's a Rose Base, it's a 60% VLT, and its mirrored. Personally, I think you'd get more use from the Sensor Blue Mirror and it's ALOT easier on the eyes than a matte yellow. When I say that the yellow lens give a lot of people issues, that's probs an understatement. I personally try to do anything I can to stay off my yellows. I have them, but I really really try to avoid them.

If you're wondering WTF Blue Sensor Mirror means, it means the following: Blue is the top lens on a Rose Base, Sensor Mirror means a mirrored lens (I won't ski no mirrored) to help reduce the intensity of glaring light from reflections as well as tints to create contrast in flat lighting.

Thus, you're really getting a pretty dynamic piece of technology. You're getting the two lens construction, the anti fog, the anti glare, a component that assists w maintaining and highlighting contrasts, and you aren't having to sacrifice VLT. That's a pretty solid beat IMO.

If you're really wanting a photochromic low light lens, and you want to dip into the pool a little deeper, I'd suggest the Smith Storm Yellow Flash. The Sensor Blue Mirror isn't photochromic. The Storm Yellow is, it's 65 VLT, includes flash technology which really opens up stormy light, and it's a yellow on blue base lens combo. It's by far the best IMO for low light, I just don't like yellow lens.

So yeah you got options I'd probs pick in this order but what do I know?

1. Smith Storm Yellow 64 VLT, photochromic, and probs the best pure low light lens on the entire market
2. Smith Blue Sensor Mirror 60 VLT, NOT photochromic, mirrored w sensor technology to assist w contrast (I prefer the Flash to Sensor for strictly cloudy days but the sensor to the flash on the in betweens)
3. Purchase non-Smith - why not? If I was going that route, I'd buy the yellow and see what I thought. Maybe buy the Smith Storm Yellow and the Spek Yellow and see which you like more. I think you'll probs like the Smith, but who knows. I'd love to know your thoughts if you do buy the non smith yellow lens. Always looking for recs for customers that don't break the bank.

Sorry for the rambling post. I just hella love goggles.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Awesome day at Shasta today. Tomorrow is going to be even better as it is ****ing dumping right now.

https://i.imgur.com/NqNDGvq.mp4
I know, I was there...

Guess you missed out on a beer!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Damn! You gonna be up tomorrow?
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Damn! You gonna be up tomorrow?
Probably not, but won't know for sure till the morning.

Not spending near as much time on the slopes as I had hoped.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
My lowlight lenses are 64% VLT and I'm happy with them.
Pahdz
Yeah you've definitely nerded out and gone down a deep rabbit hole on them
JustPanda
AG
Fishin - sending your poles this week. I got stuck in Chicago on the way back from MX. Nothing worse than missing the last connection of the day by 5 minutes. Oh well! Go with the flow and appreciate what you have right? To say I cant wait to leave is an understatement. Should be into EGE by 11 then gonna go see gatito Tony, gear up, and head to the shop. I'll send ya pictures before I ship.

Edit to add: if United ever tries to change you from Cancun to Denver to Vail to Cancun to Chicago to Vail, don't do it. They will just end up leaving you in Chicago. Just go to Denver and drive. It's way better than being stuck 1,000 miles from home and adding an extra 3 hour flight. Good news: got 2,000 extra flight miles for the detour and some killer huevos, rajas, y queso tortas con aguacate y salsa verde. Bad news, myself and 1/3 of the migrants crossing the southern border all shared a room last night which I now have to figure out how to get reimbursed.

Picture of said delicious torta and a photos from Tulum

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.