Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,922 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have those Kastle MX88s in a 187. Great ski - SUPER expensive if you were going to purchase them from the factory but super versatile. If you liked the MX88s, id recommend the FX 96 or 106 TIs. Similar construction to the MX88 but a little more under the waist to help ya stay up in the powder without sacrificing a ton of your arc turn for when you dip into the trees.

Overall, Kastle is one of the best ski manufactures in the whole world. They know their **** and annual produce some of the best gear out there. You really can't go wrong on ANY of their gear, but some lines will be a little more focus on free ride which can really benefit you on mixed or straight powder days.
StockHorseAg
AG
I'm jealous that you have those lol. I had no idea what the guy handed me when I rented those skis but let me tell you, it changed my life. Everybody who skis needs to ski on a good pair of skis and boots that's set up for them and the conditions because it makes skiing wayyyy better. It's worth the extra cost for sure.
JustPanda
AG
I don't recommend buying much used demo gear, but if you find a set of Kastles w good bases EVER being demoed that they will let you rent to own, its hard to not tell you to pull the trigger. Really can't say enough good things about them. Only downside is IIRC they are like $1,200 unmounted. That's a proud price point but IMO totally worth it.

I really can't stress the value of good gear. You nailed it. Good gear (skis and boots) makes skiing easy and enjoyable and safe. It's worth the extra $10-20 a day without question and will REALLY open your eyes to your potential. I always laugh when people come into the shop and they're staying at the Arrabelle and renting Tahoe for $2,000+ a night but decide to skimp on $10/day for better skis. IMO, rent a ****ty hotel and take the extra money and steez up your kit. After all, you aren't coming to the high country to sit in your room...
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Or just do both. Making a decision like that at the margins is CRAZY
GarlandAg2012
AG
StockHorseAg said:

Who in Purgatory/Durango would rent demo skis like this out? Would ski barn or the rental shop on the mountain?
Ski Barn has a decent selection of demo skis, but they only rent them one day at a time. I had a "performance" rental that were pretty crappy, then swapped for a demo ski for my second day. I tried to get them originally but the person said they only do demo skis for single day rentals. Seems like a very strange practice to me, seems like many people would want to rent a demo for multiple days in a row. Maybe you would just need to call and let them know you are happy with them and to charge you another day? Not sure.
JustPanda
AG
That's REALLY odd.

We allow consecutive day rentals but no longer allow people to take them for 4 and ski 3 or 5 and ski 4 etc. We now charge for all of the days, not just the days you ski. That just went into effect maybe 2-3 weeks ago at our shop.

Edit to add: we'd much prefer you to call and extend vs. making us re tech it every day. That's just a waste of everyone time IMO.
StockHorseAg
AG
Thank you for the heads up!
Jock 07
AG
I still vividly remember learning to ski powder in steamboat, huge smile that entire day. Best powder day was in the back bowls at vail, just point straight down hill lean back and enjoy the ride. Give me pow any day of the week. A bluebird day w/ 3" fresh on top of groomers are a blast as well.
JustPanda
AG
100% agree. Some of the best days aren't the deep powder days but those that have enough powder to play on the top and enough cover to fill the trees but shallow enough grip to rip and not drain your legs. 3-8 inches for me (6-8 really) is my personal sweet spot.
rather be fishing
AG
Hey JP - if you're moving to Tulum, you can just through those Kastles (or the Atris or Manas) in the mail to MT and I'll take them off your hands.
MouthBQ98
AG
Awesome. Snow forecast is dialed down a bit, to much more ideal amounts.
HUEY04
AG
All packed up and ready. Can't wait to be in the mountains tomorrow, sounds like the snowfall at Telluride Mon-Tues is going to more than make up for thr lack of snow at Park City when I was there the first week of January. I'll gladly leave the Nordica Enforcer 94's at the VRBO and rent powder skis if the conditions warrant it
dr_boogs
AG
What do you think about Salomon QST 94's (or is it 96's)? I ski'd on Salomon stances 84 underfoot this week in NM and they were good, the guy at the shop said I'd love the qst's in the 94/96 width. Favorite ski so far were Stoklii 177 88's.

Looking for an all mountain type of ski for blue groomers, skiing bumps a lot, and occasional powder days but I only ski 5-10 days a year. Tired of renting demo/performance skis every year.
dr_boogs
AG
Living right this year, extended my work ski trip to a family ski trip in Santa Fe. Ski Santa Fe is a hidden gem. Smaller mountain w 5-7 lifts, greens, blues, bumps, all the way to black diamond glades and chutes. Very reasonable lift prices as compared to Taos. Gorgeous view of the mountain ranges and desert climate from the top. The entire area is a huge prehistoric caldera. We had a visitor hanging out on the back porch for a while.

StockHorseAg
AG
I emailed Cliffside and they said they have Meier, Head, Elan, and Fischer to choose from. I'm thinking of trying the Meier wranglers if they have them.
rather be fishing
AG
Like skiing on an ice rink today. Forecast is calling for 10-20" from Sunday night through Wednesday. I probably won't get to ski any of it, but that might push our season out several weeks.
Jock 07
AG
Hoping for a good storm for Breck and that the snow sticks around til Friday. Taking my squadron up for a squadron ski trip on Friday. I let everyone vote on where they wanted to go and Breck beat out keystone by a few votes.
RangerRick9211
AG
Sneaking out for solo-yolo tomorrow on Hood. Work has been dog **** this year and I'm back on the east coast (NYC then Boston) for the next two weeks. I have 14 days, all resort, so far this year. Same time last I had a hut trip (3 BC days) and ~50 resort days.

But snow is back in the Cascades! I clear this divesture 4/2 and then it's full gas spring corn.
rather be fishing
AG
Daughter's last day of Kinder Kamp and they are letting her go out with the advanced group. If they cancel on her I will be throwing a fit.

Hoyt Ag
AG
We are going to have a 55 degree temp difference the next 2 days with a front moving in. I am in shorts today, about to go hike with the pup. Tomorrow it will be pissing snow till Wed Morning.
rather be fishing
AG

This is called not being and you see your toes.
JustPanda
AG
I much prefer Stockli. QST have a love or hate relationship w most people. They are know as the Quit Skiing Todays by a lot of people but a lot of people also love them.
JustPanda
AG
Booked our test run for full time Tulum. Usually we stay at our rental place for a week or two at a time at most but this time we're headed there 4/29 - 5/31. Perfect for missing mud season and seeing if it's long term feasible.
RangerRick9211
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Sneaking out for solo-yolo tomorrow on Hood. Work has been dog **** this year and I'm back on the east coast (NYC then Boston) for the next two weeks. I have 14 days, all resort, so far this year. Same time last I had a hut trip (3 BC days) and ~50 resort days.

But snow is back in the Cascades! I clear this divesture 4/2 and then it's full gas spring corn.

Blue bird volcano morning. Storm was ramping when I had my lunch (beer) on my way out.

smstork1007
AG
Hope you hate it and looking forward to meeting you next fall in BC/BG!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
dr_boogs said:

What do you think about Salomon QST 94's (or is it 96's)? I ski'd on Salomon stances 84 underfoot this week in NM and they were good, the guy at the shop said I'd love the qst's in the 94/96 width. Favorite ski so far were Stoklii 177 88's.

Looking for an all mountain type of ski for blue groomers, skiing bumps a lot, and occasional powder days but I only ski 5-10 days a year. Tired of renting demo/performance skis every year.

There's a QST 92 and 98. Neither are like the Stance though so I'm not sure why your rental guy would push you towards them. The stance is more of their carving ski with stiff titanal in it. The QST line has carbon and is more free ride oriented. Meaning more surfy and loose and meant for soft snow. Though they can do some groomers, they aren't designed for that. The Stance is more that type of ski. I think you'd be happier in the Stance line based on what you're looking for.

I switched from snowboarding to skiing a few years ago, so the QSTs fit my preferred style of skiing. I love my QST 106s, but I wouldn't choose them to rip blue groomers. Would much rather have something in mid 80s waist for that.
JustPanda
AG
That's a great description. I actually think the Stockli is a double titanal.

If you're ripping groomers that's gonna be a better driver, if you ski trees or powder or want to get in and out and not drop bombs, the carbon flax QST cork damplifiers and full sandwich double sidewalls of the QSTs are gonna make it a lot easier. The profile on the QST is much better suited for playing w some tail rocker whereas the flat tail on the Stocklis make them want to go. So it depends on what you're planning on busting. Both are great skis but kinda different usage profiles IMO.

Rossi Sender TI would be closer to the Stockli IMO
HUEY04
AG
Got out on the new Nordica Enforcer 94 192's today in Telluride and LOVE these things. I felt like I could just point them and go through anything and they were completely stable at high speed on chopped up blues and double blues!
Pahdz
Hopefully this works, here is my buddy winning skijoring again

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rwRrLX6B7QqwPFJK/?mibextid=WC7FNe
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks fellas, I like to ski groomers w the kids, under control but not ripping down the slope. I really am in to skiing bumps and glades when I get to ski solo. But I ski them under control using blue or green line mogul skiing. I just don't ski enough days to ski powder very often, maybe 10-15% of my days.

So having said that, between the stocklis and stance or qsts, what fits that description best? I'm 6 ft 1 and ski 177-180 length skis on the bumps.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
dr_boogs said:

Thanks fellas, I like to ski groomers w the kids, under control but not ripping down the slope. I really am in to skiing bumps and glades when I get to ski solo. But I ski them under control using blue or green line mogul skiing. I just don't ski enough days to ski powder very often, maybe 10-15% of my days.

So having said that, between the stocklis and stance or qsts, what fits that description best? I'm 6 ft 1 and ski 177-180 length skis on the bumps.

Man that's probably more JP's forte. I hate skiing moguls.

From what I understand with moguls, you want something easy to flick with a low turning radius? The QST 92 has a very low turning radius, so maybe that's why he recommended that?
MouthBQ98
AG
Tuesday: winds 20-25 with gusts to 40. Will they run lifts in that?
rather be fishing
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Tuesday: winds 20-25 with gusts to 40. Will they run lifts in that?

Yes
StockHorseAg
AG
Just an FYI, if anybody is in Purgatory on Saturday the 2nd, Meier Skis is having an on mountain demo day.

https://meierskis.com/pages/on-mountain-demos
JustPanda
AG
Where?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.