Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,889 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
maroonblood90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll not qualify for that freebie any longer. We skied Sipapu with them when they were you younger - it was a great mountain for kids to learn.
JustPanda
AG
Sometimes they run those specials on ski calendars not traditional calendars. The ski year usually goes 5/1 - 4/30. So, for some places (Vail and Alterra), a child that turns 13 after May 1st is still a 12 year old in the system since they were 12 at the start of the ski calendar year. Both of our kids had this happen which was great because we got an extra year discounted.
JustPanda
AG
Probs will do 1/31 - 2/4 for the ski trip. Please lmk if that works well for people. SWA is having a killer sale so I'm trying to get the dates set ASAP so that people can get a good deal on flights.
JustPanda
AG
Just talked to the PM and the schedule is blocked for 11/5 - 11/12 and 1/29 - 2/4. If anyone wants to come up during those times, the 11/5 - 11/12 dates are totally free and only thing we have to pay for the 1/29 - 2/4 trip is the cleaning fee that's like $500 for the 6 days. It may be $300 (I need to ask) So not much split between everyone. Rent and all other fees are completely covered and I can get skis and snowboards and helmet through the shop for free, too. You'll just need to get here. It has a bunk room if you have kids.

Here's a link to the house that has the address if you're trying to see where it is in relation to airports, Vail/Avon/BC etc.

We can ski Vail/BC/Copper/Key/Brek or I live in Glenwood so we could do a Snowmass and Iron Mountain or Penny Hot Springs day too

https://triumphmountainproperties.com/property/866-bachelor-ridge/

JustJHavens @ gmail.com
chet98
AG
Anyone here skied Wolf Creek outside of Pagosa Springs? Looking at that as a possibility this year too. Any input would be appreciated.
StillNotAnAggie
chet98 said:

Anyone here skied Wolf Creek outside of Pagosa Springs? Looking at that as a possibility this year too. Any input would be appreciated.

I've been the last 6 years in a row, we drive up from Houston. Snow is always amazing, it gets the most snow in Colorado and has a ton of runs. Ee have never even been on one side of the mountain, I avoid the harder runs, I know my limits.
Downsides:
- It can get crowded during a Spring Break, but their crowded doesn't even compare to many of the bigger resorts. It's more like waiting 5+ mins for a lift instead of 1-2.
- It's not ski in/ski out so you'll have to stay in Pagosa and drive every day. It's not a bad drive, but can get sketchy at times.
- The "lodge" isn't really anything and more of a glorified cafeteria, so if you bring someone who doesn't ski, they are going to be severely disappointed with their options. Same with people who are used to the larger resorts.
Wolf Creek is purely for skiing, they don't have all the other touristy "stuff".
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
JustPanda
AG
Steamboat was actually tops in the state last year. It goes back and forth. I'd add that while WC gets a ton of snow, Sangre snow it's usually WAY wetter and heavier than the Sawatch, San Juans, Park, or Gore Range. The closest you'll get to Utah POW in CO is the Park Range followed by the San Juan's and then Gore and then Ten Mile.

https://denvergazette.com/outdoors/skiing-snowboarding/top-5-colorado-ski-area-snow-totals-mikaela-shiffrin-ftw/article_fc55a74e-b3b0-11ed-947b-5f07f7489251.amp.html
rak1693
AG
Asking because I'm not familiar with all of the ranges…is the Park Range considered Steamboat Springs area? What resorts are in the Gore Range?

What is your opinion of Utah skiing? I've only been twice but thought the snow was excellent both times.
JustPanda
AG
Utah gets probs the best quality snow in the country but it's usually feast or famine. They get a ton or they get none. I've seen that the last couple of years doing the Solitude (past) and Alta (current) books.

Steamboat : Park
Vail/BC: Gore
Telluride: San Juan's
Breck/Keystone: Ten Mile
chet98
AG
Booked a house in Pagosa for spring break last night. I may reach out with more specific ?s as we get closer. Can't wait!
Tarponfly
AG
rak1693 said:

Wife and I are making a trip to Wolf Creek and then we'll head from there to Crested Butte. It'll be my first time at Wolf Creek. We'll be there over New Years
Wolf Creek is consistently one of the greatest powder bowls in the US. I have a second home in Santa Fe and spend the majority of my time between there and Taos. However, whenever we are looking to ski powder, it is Wolf Creek every time.
Tarponfly
AG
Keep in mind that between Christmas and New Years and the MLK holiday weekend are the busiest weeks at every resort.
rather be fishing
AG
Picked up a pair of Kendo 88s and some used, but significantly upgraded boots at a ski swap today. One ski has a spot where to top sheet is cut but should be able to glue it back down pretty easy. Bottoms are in great shape. Couldn't say no to $200.
JustPanda
AG
Continental Total Water Content
A-Basin, CO 7.4%
Berthoud Pass, CO 7.2%
Breckenridge, CO 7.6%
Copper Mt., CO 6.7%
Vail, Co 6.9%
Winter Park, Co 7.0%
Aspen Mt., CO 7.6%
Aspen Highlands, CO 8.0%
Gothic, CO 6.3%
Crested Butte, CO 7.7%
Monarch, CO 7.2%
Telluride, CO 7.0%
Purgatory, CO 7.4%
Taos, NM 6.3%
Wolf Creek, CO 9.3%

Snow water equivalent is the main driver of snow quality. You'll see that WC is significantly water compared to the other mountains in Colorado. It's a full 33% heavier than Telluride and Vail. And there's nothing wrong or bad about heavy powder. You just have to know how to ski and have your skis prepped for heavy powder. Not trying to dog on WC at all. I love WC. Just wanting to give some data around my comment.
chet98
AG
JustPanda said:

A-Basin, CO 7.4%
Berthoud Pass, CO 7.2%
Breckenridge, CO 7.6%
Copper Mt., CO 6.7%
Vail, Co 6.9%
Winter Park, Co 7.0%
Aspen Mt., CO 7.6%
Aspen Highlands, CO 8.0%
Gothic, CO 6.3%
Crested Butte, CO 7.7%
Monarch, CO 7.2%
Telluride, CO 7.0%
Purgatory, CO 7.4%
Taos, NM 6.3%
Wolf Creek, CO 9.3%

Snow water equivalent is the main driver of snow quality. You'll see that WC is significantly water compared to the other mountains in Colorado. It's a full 33% heavier than Telluride and Vail. And there's nothing wrong or bad about heavy powder. You just have to know how to ski and have your skis prepped for heavy powder. Not trying to dog on WC at all. I love WC. Just wanting to give some data around my comment.

I wonder how this would factor into slushy conditions in warmer temps. Would think more water content = slushier and potentially icier after the overnight freeze. Hopefully spring break is early enough not to worry about it.

When we went to Taos last SB it was the first time I'd skied in 20+ years. Have "meh" knees and a wife that has no interest so just figured I'd never do it again. But buddies wanted to go and take the kids and so glad we did.

Had a blast but also had pretty major patella tendor pain after longer runs. Not sure if anyone here has any bright ideas about that. I'm in good enough shape 6' about 190lbs at a spry 48 yrs old. Work out a lot including leg stuff for knee stability. Not sure what else I can do to head off that patella pain. Never had it before and haven't had it since and used to play a lot of old man pickup basketball and never experienced the same pain doing that...
rather be fishing
AG
You might try a knee brace and see if that helps? Like one of those neoprene sleeve ones that didn't be too bulky.
StillNotAnAggie
chet98 said:

JustPanda said:

A-Basin, CO 7.4%
Berthoud Pass, CO 7.2%
Breckenridge, CO 7.6%
Copper Mt., CO 6.7%
Vail, Co 6.9%
Winter Park, Co 7.0%
Aspen Mt., CO 7.6%
Aspen Highlands, CO 8.0%
Gothic, CO 6.3%
Crested Butte, CO 7.7%
Monarch, CO 7.2%
Telluride, CO 7.0%
Purgatory, CO 7.4%
Taos, NM 6.3%
Wolf Creek, CO 9.3%

I wonder how this would factor into slushy conditions in warmer temps. Would think more water content = slushier and potentially icier after the overnight freeze. Hopefully spring break is early enough not to worry about it.

When we went to Taos last SB it was the first time I'd skied in 20+ years. Have "meh" knees and a wife that has no interest so just figured I'd never do it again. But buddies wanted to go and take the kids and so glad we did.

Had a blast but also had pretty major patella tendor pain after longer runs. Not sure if anyone here has any bright ideas about that. I'm in good enough shape 6' about 190lbs at a spry 48 yrs old. Work out a lot including leg stuff for knee stability. Not sure what else I can do to head off that patella pain. Never had it before and haven't had it since and used to play a lot of old man pickup basketball and never experienced the same pain doing that...

My suggestion would be to visit one of the stores in town that have a green "plus" sign outside of it. Pick up some of their pain cream. It's non-transdermal, and they work really well. I've tried a few different ones, and my wife swears by them for her skiing knee pain.
MAS444
AG
Cortisone injection worked wonders for my patella pain before skiing.
JustPanda
AG
I use a metal knee brace which is great for stabilization and Mary Medicinals THC/CBD balm for acute pain. I think it's only available on the Medical side but I'm not sure.
RangerRick9211
AG

Starting to stack on Bach today. Let's go!
Pignorant
AG
Has anyone tried the Salomon S/Lab shift bindings?

Interested in touring and these seem like a decent option for uphill and downhill.
RangerRick9211
AG
I run shifts on my Atris. I love the set up as my resort + side country set up (30 - 90 min. traverses/uphill skinning).

They aren't it for pure backcountry touring. Just roll with pins. You'll feel the weight of a hybrid after an hour and they're annoying AF to convert. If you're gun-ho on a hybrid, try something like an ATK Raider with a spacer.
JustPanda
AG
Nice! I run the Atris and the Camox. Black Crows rips.
rather be fishing
AG
Got my daughter into the kids program 3 days/week so I'll get a ton of use out of my season pass this year. I'm pumped.
JustPanda
AG
Nice 12 inches and still snowing in Snowmass this AM. Vail's getting hit hard right now, too. Cooler temps and a foot plus to start running snow making ops. It's Super early but cooling down the hill and getting a little help on snow making can be huge for early season. Plus, weather looks like it's below freezing almost every night for the next 10 days. That helps snow making too.
SockDePot
Is spring break too late for angel fire?
Tecolote
AG
SockDePot said:

Is spring break too late for angel fire?
Yes - it's a rare winter for it to still have good snow that late.
East Dallas Ag
AG
I think last year was a pretty average snow year for AF and it had plenty during Spring Break, but the base was pretty slushy at the end of the day. They have almost 100% snow making capability. Red River seemed to hold up better through the day, but didn't get quite as much snow. I think El Nino is "supposed" to be good for AF/NM.
Hou-Ag
AG
Going to Red River, NM mid December. First time skiing for all of my family except me. Have heard RR is not overly expensive or very crowded.
mrad85
AG
It was decent last SB.

Also, they have opened up reservations for ski school etc for this season. If you're planning to go, I'd get it early.
Tecolote
AG
mrad85 said:

It was decent last SB.

Also, they have opened up reservations for ski school etc for this season. If you're planning to go, I'd get it early.
Thanks, but it's only a little over an hour drive from my house so don't need much planning.
JustPanda
AG
Mid December is a little early especially for NM. You're probs going to be skiing on mostly man made snow at that point.
AgPrognosticator
AG
JustPanda said:

The Vail/BC skiers should come into Charter Sports for rentals. I'll give you the friends and family rate: $0.

We have spots in Breck, too but I don't really have a connection to those stores.

Who do we ask for?
JustPanda
AG
Shoot me an email

Just J Havens @ gmail.com
RangerRick9211
AG
Astros blow, but hello Winter Advisory my old friend.

The little and I plan to skin east Hood this weekend for our first fun in the snow this season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.