Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,899 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chet98 said:

Somewhat on topic I was looking at snow chains on amazon (used the below last year to get back to the town of Taos from the ski resort one day after it absolutely dumped on us while skiing).

Anyone have experience with snow socks like second link below? Never heard of these before I was amazon shopping yesterday and they popped up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B73ZLG77/?coliid=I18D0XTX1VKI2V&colid=GGN764OV768Q&psc=0&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_3SBADBWGFFCP4SQ8AV95

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BH7KFYBG/?coliid=I3QSJE4IMF8748&colid=GGN764OV768Q&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_3P2SY1D8C0H8QQFDCYZ4
I've got 3 peak Duratracs, but sometimes slip socks on the truck when it's deep. They're legit, quick and no noise/vibration like chains.You also don't have to worry about brake line clearances or throwing a chain into your wheel well.
JustPanda
AG
That's been my experience too. I won't say I totally disagree with the poster that says you shouldn't drive in traction laws but I disagree lol. Obviously don't go out in a 2WD car w low clearance and no traction device but Slow and steady wins the race and just be mindful of the conditions. I've never seen a rig or passenger vehicle w chains slide out. Not once ever. I've tried to do donuts with them for fun and it's damn near impossible. Obviously don't put them on and think you're Superman, but to say that they don't mitigate ice and snow just isn't true. The traction gained is exponentially better than driving on all terrains or even snow tires if they aren't studded.

Traction laws go into effect all the time and if the world shut down because of them, we'd have no groceries no tourists no gas or other necessities and those guys and tourists aren't mountain drivers. Half of them a from FL or TX and have no idea what to do in the snow and they make it just fine. Just don't drive like a bat out of hell and google things not to do while driving in ice or snow (slam on the brakes). If you aren't comfortable driving in the snow, obviously don't do it. But, you have to learn at some point.

Edited to add: https://www.snowchains.com/faqs

I found this part especially humorous but extremely accurate:

Are there limitations to what can be achieved with chains - do they work on all gradients in all conditions?

Chains massively improve traction on snow, ice, mud and even sand however they do not enable you to defy physics. Where you can and can't go largely depends on the vehicle's abilities, load, driver ability and myriad other factors. So do not assume you are invincible with chains on - some slopes for some vehicles will be unclimbable even with chains on. In such circumstance do not spin the wheels to try get up the slope, as there is a high chance you will break your chains and potentially damage your vehicle.
docb
AG
I'm pumped to ski all the new double blacks at Steamboat this year.
LRHF
AG
Ikanizer
AG
MAS444 said:

Yeah I wasn't talking about the CDOT - but the local guys that plow more residential areas. One of the reasons I'm asking is we just bought some land in Ridgway and trying to figure out how this is going to work. Our HOA plows the road - and my understanding is will plow the driveways too if you pay em. We're going to have a pretty long road to our build site so definitely aren't heating the whole thing, if we heat any of it.
Our HOA has a contract with a local guy to plow our roads (about 5 miles) when the snow gets 4" deep. He charges $70/hour. Homeowners are responsible for their driveways and the same guy will do it with a day or two notice. There are several guys who do plowing. We've been snowed in a few times but the system works pretty well.
RangerRick9211
AG
JustPanda said:

That's been my experience too. I won't say I totally disagree with the poster that says you shouldn't drive in traction laws but I disagree lol. Obviously don't go out in a 2WD car w low clearance and no traction device but Slow and steady wins the race and just be mindful of the conditions. I've never seen a rig or passenger vehicle w chains slide out. Not once ever. I've tried to do donuts with them for fun and it's damn near impossible. Obviously don't put them on and think you're Superman, but to say that they don't mitigate ice and snow just isn't true. The traction gained is exponentially better than driving on all terrains or even snow tires if they aren't studded.

Traction laws go into effect all the time and if the world shut down because of them, we'd have no groceries no tourists no gas or other necessities and those guys and tourists aren't mountain drivers. Half of them a from FL or TX and have no idea what to do in the snow and they make it just fine. Just don't drive like a bat out of hell and google things not to do while driving in ice or snow (slam on the brakes). If you aren't comfortable driving in the snow, obviously don't do it. But, you have to learn at some point.

Edited to add: https://www.snowchains.com/faqs

I found this part especially humorous but extremely accurate:

Are there limitations to what can be achieved with chains - do they work on all gradients in all conditions?

Chains massively improve traction on snow, ice, mud and even sand however they do not enable you to defy physics. Where you can and can't go largely depends on the vehicle's abilities, load, driver ability and myriad other factors. So do not assume you are invincible with chains on - some slopes for some vehicles will be unclimbable even with chains on. In such circumstance do not spin the wheels to try get up the slope, as there is a high chance you will break your chains and potentially damage your vehicle.

This is from our first year in OR. This Outback with front chains (again, check your brake lines, low-pro Z type) made it 30 min. from this spot to Meadows while still rocking a Texas plate. I've never had a problem on chains, they're just a ***** to get on. Deflate + socks would have made the same trip. The only negative is lifespan on socks. You'll buy a new set every other season vs. chains maybe once a decade.
SunrayAg
AG
So if I have a 4WD Tundra with all terrain tires, would those socks be beneficial for winter time mountain driving?
Sims
AG
I skimmed the thread and didn't see anything so I apologize if it's been covered...

We're going to be in Breckenridge over Christmas and I was curious about the cheapest way to get passes for kids who likely won't use all of their days and I don't want to burn money pointlessly.

They're 9, 7, and 5. We'll be renting gear for them too if y'all have suggestions.
idAg09
Sims said:

I skimmed the thread and didn't see anything so I apologize if it's been covered...

We're going to be in Breckenridge over Christmas and I was curious about the cheapest way to get passes for kids who likely won't use all of their days and I don't want to burn money pointlessly.

They're 9, 7, and 5. We'll be renting gear for them too if y'all have suggestions.
We did Breck in March with three kids same age and did not get lift passes. We got lift passes in 2020 for our first Breck visit and that was a waste for kids at that age plus in 2020 they had this dumb mountain reservation thing that I couldn't get to work right with the free under 5 pass. I never got a refund later either ($800+) like the folks on site said I would if I called in my complaint.

The kids lift ramp and small lift you hold on to to go up the hill was free and we just did that all day. I'm not good a skiing and my wife doesn't care to hit the slopes anymore so I thought it was a good deal just renting ski equipment for all of us and doing that. If you want to ski, probably best to put the kids in ski school and get a lift pass for you and your wife.
Sims
AG
I appreciate that info! The kids all ski, I use the term loosely. They can safely and pleasurably get to the base from the top. The thing I run into is they're not that resilient to less than crisp air and blue skies. If it dumps us on, they're inside in a heart beat.

I guess my goal is to get them passes...as cheaply as I can.
Yesterday
AG
I think you can buy a 2-3 day pass through epic that you can use whenever. I also believe they're on sale now. Panda will know more.
JustPanda
AG
How many days will they be skiing? Where will you be staying? What rental shop will you be using? Do you only want to ski Breck or do you think the kids will want a day at Vail too?

If you're skiing the 26-31 you'll want to buy day passes now. The Epic Local is blacked out on those days. If not, the Local is $377 for unlimited which breaks even at 6 days. If you're going to be skiing ANY of those days then id do the epic day passes + restricted days. I think thats about $61 a day. The epic local gets you unlimited riding at Breck. The earlier you buy the better as they go up in price on the 19th and stop being sold first to mid December.

If you need rentals, I work at the Charter Sports in Vail but can't get you a deal if you book one of the spots in Breck. Hope you have a great trip
JustPanda
AG
I have a 4WD Jeep w studded snow tires. If I didn't have studded snow tires, I'd be keeping socks in the Thule way before chains just for those days that the hair is a little extra furry. Usually that's a couple of times a year and I'd rather not drive home puckered like a frog or have to stay in Vail at my office. I'm mostly on interstate and city roads though so no backcountry crazy. Personally, for the price and convenience, I think they're a great addition especially for drivers that aren't experienced at putting on chains. It another layer of safety and if you get stuck in a storm that can be the difference between getting home or getting snowed in. For me, that's an easy decision.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is make sure you have a sub zero antifreeze (-10 of lower). Traction mitigation does you no good if the first time you clear your windshield of snow, you freeze yourself in with little tiny fractals that you literally can't get to melt for a hot minute. That's HELLA scary and super dangerous.
Pignorant
AG
Booked trip to ski Beaver Creek middle of December in addition to our Whitefish trip in February.
BCO07
AG
I'll be driving into South tahoe from California in early January in a 4wd small suv. I have a little experience in snow living in Chicago through a winter, but that was all flat land. I'll definitely be learning to put on chains before going up there. What's the likelihood that I'll actually need them? I know the standard answer is "you never know, just be ready," but how many days a season are they actually necessary
JustPanda
AG
Little jest here, but last year: every day from Thanksgiving to end of a March.

This is a totally out of my rear guess but maybe:

2/3storms a month for 2 days each. Some random no snow predicted dumps that catch everyone off guard nights/days. Some one day and pass dumps and a once or twice a season 3-4 day back to back roller that really just blasts. Then you have to consider the couple of nights / days after of refreeze. So enough to b worth it.
mwlkr
AG
BCO07 said:

I'll be driving into South tahoe from California in early January in a 4wd small suv. I have a little experience in snow living in Chicago through a winter, but that was all flat land. I'll definitely be learning to put on chains before going up there. What's the likelihood that I'll actually need them? I know the standard answer is "you never know, just be ready," but how many days a season are they actually necessary
You never need chains until you do. That is carved in stone.
RangerRick9211
AG
BCO07 said:

On my hill I have 3-peak + socks not because I feel like I'm a risk, but because all the yahoos in FWD Civics rocking Cali plates that I have to play dodge ball with. Or the, "Bro, it's an Outback, I'm good with summers" will be littering every pass on the west coast.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqirmtqBo9N/?igshid=MW1zNG90N2E4Nm1zZw==
Sims
AG
We're staying at 14 Dunkin Drive off of Mt. Baldy Rd. Skiing probably the 17th, 19-21st. No rentals yet. I'll need to rent snowboards for the 9 and 7 year old and skis for the 5 year old.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Just picked up my 5 year old's skis for the season, yesterday. We're in Southern Oregon, so our ski season won't open until 1st or 2nd weekend of December.

She did amazing last year, getting around 20 days on the hill and making it down every blue that I threw at her. We attempted one black, but it was a bit too much for her so I'm excited to see her progress this year. Going to be working on staying out of the "pizza" as much as possible as she tends to try to fall back on that when she gets on steeper terrain.

Our mountain does a junior race with an under 6 category and I think she's got a shot at winning it!

Can't wait for the season to be here!
LRHF
AG
Just got my season pass in the mail for Purg! Too bad I have a fishing trip on opening day but we don't really have any snow yet…

They are making snow, took these pics last week while hitting the high country streams.

clinte234
AG
Love the pictures! Our family and 3 others will be there between Christmas and New Years with the rest of Texas.
bmac_aggie18
AG
I'll be at Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, Winter Park and my all time favorite, Snowbird in January & February. Gonna be an awesome season!
HouAg12
AG
Trying to pick between Telluride and Jackson Hole for a trip in Feb. Any recommendations?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Haven't been to Jackson Hole but I love Telluride!
bmac_aggie18
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Haven't been to Jackson Hole but I love Telluride!

I've never been to either but based off everything I've read, watched, and heard, Jackson Hole is the pinnacle of skiing in the US. That being said, if you have the chance to go I'd jump all over it
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone have any insight into Park City on places to eat, ski schools, rentals, etc? Going with family over Christmas break and will have 2 kids that need lessons.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good to know! I'll be heading there next ski trip.
malenurse
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Anyone have any insight into Park City on places to eat, ski schools, rentals, etc? Going with family over Christmas break and will have 2 kids that need lessons.
No help on skiing as we were there late fall.
The old downtown area you can walk and has multiple eating establishments.
The Eating Establishment for Breakfast
Grappas for Italian
The Spur Bar and Grill has a nice upstairs deck for a sunny afternoon of drinking

Sammi's Bistro is very good.
Fuego Pizzaria is decent
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Yesterday
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Stay on park city side not the canyons. Canyons will be less crowded but very few greens. I think ski school is on the park city side as well.

Not a huge deal but you'll have to ride a bus to the other side if you don't stay over there.
rak1693
AG
Is Deer Valley still skiing only? It's been a while since I've been but I loved it. It was excellent snow as I remember and without snowboarders, it wasn't very crowded. I guess the price there can also hinder the large crowds.
Pignorant
AG
Yes still ski only.
AgPrognosticator
AG
rak1693 said:

Is Deer Valley still skiing only? It's been a while since I've been but I loved it. It was excellent snow as I remember and without snowboarders, it wasn't very crowded. I guess the price there can also hinder the large crowds.

Best spot in the country. Limited lift ticket sales and no boarders.
JustPanda
AG
Jackson Hole is magical. My in laws have owned it since the early 80s. It's SICK! Next level sick. Snow king is also a lot of fun if you're looking for something closer to Jackson.

Lmk if you need discounted passes
bmac_aggie18
AG
JustPanda said:

Jackson Hole is magical. My in laws have owned it since the early 80s. It's SICK! Next level sick. Snow king is also a lot of fun if you're looking for something closer to Jackson.

Lmk if you need discounted passes

Your in-laws own Jackson Hole?

Dude…congrats man haha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.