Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,855 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some ******* stole my skis while I stopped for lunch. There's another pair of the same skis from the same rental company 1 rack over, only theyre much shorter than mine so it should have been super obvious to them. Called the rental company and they reached out but of course he didn't answer.

So now I'm just chilling hoping he pulls his head out of his ass and returns them otherwise I get to ride down with ski patrol.
Yesterday
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Some ******* stole my skis while I stopped for lunch. There's another pair of the same skis from the same rental company 1 rack over, only theyre much shorter than mine so it should have been super obvious to them. Called the rental company and they reached out but of course he didn't answer.

So now I'm just chilling hoping he pulls his head out of his ass and returns them otherwise I get to ride down with ski patrol.

Damn that's brutal. Crazy if the bindings fit perfectly.
FirefightAg
AG
It's snowing big at Loveland almost instantly powder
FirefightAg
AG
[URL=https://imgbox.com/HxkdHJg6][/URL]

Pic no justice
FirefightAg
AG
1 chair ride up covered

[URL=https://imgbox.com/wMQO0y1w][/URL]
JustPanda
AG
****! Been there. Luckily you were trading out that set anyways
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

****! Been there. Luckily you were trading out that set anyways

Yep! Just hope they get back to y'all without too much hassle.
Legal Custodian
AG
It's dumping right now at AF. Supposed to get another 5" over night
JustPanda
AG
They always find their way back.

5 since 5am at Telly. Sun peaking out. Can't see Sneffels behind the clouds to the left.

Jock 07
AG
Drove back down to the springs and it was coming down pretty good on the drive up vail pass tapered off as I got down to Dillon/Frisco and then completely cleared up once we got on the other side of the tunnel.
It was killing me to be driving back with the storm rolling in but such is life as an adult with adult responsibilities.
JustPanda
AG
13 at Telly overnight.
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer conditions are the most dangerous they've been all season. Corduroy is straight ice, the one run I went down that's normally in good shape was scraped and you pretty much had to skid down and pick your turns to avoid the brown spots.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Copper is a total cluster. Highway was completely stop and go from Frisco, took over an hour from Breck and parking was a mess. Still dumping snow.
Jock 07
AG
Spend anytime in Garmisch? Did this there last year when I was out in Germany for work.
FC12
Did you get a ride down with Ski Patrol? Looks like a good story and a lot of pain!
I haven't been to Garmisch yet…just because of travel distance. I prefer quick day trips. From my door to there is roughly 2:45hr. I can get to Davos, Arosa, Laax, etc. in 45 or so minutes. St. Anton, Lech, Silvretta is about 1:15hr. Yesterday I took the train to St. Anton and that was the way to go. Drops you right at the lifts.

FC12
Let's throw a couple photos in...
Davos first...local ski village 2nd.

JustPanda
AG
SICK day at Telly! Ripped a front flip unexpectedly but landed it!

FC12
For gear...
Boots are Atomic Hawx Prime 130S and Skis are Head 177cm Shape E-V10s...I had Stöckli GS Lasers last year but with highly variable snow conditions I wanted something much more flexible. I'm enjoying the Head skis this year. I wanted to buy a ski that was fun, playful, shortish turn radius and light. I'll add a GS ski later but I'm not in a hurry.
{
[img][/img]
Jock 07
AG
Ha no walked down to the tram, I guess that's what you'd call it and then walked to the tiny ass ambulance that my feet were up against the back window.

Visibility was probably one of the worst days I've ever experienced so naturally my dumbass thought to myself it'd be a good idea to go up above the tree line on my first time on the mountain.

I had brought my boots but didn't bring my skis. I ski on 192s but the longest skis they had at the rental place on the bottom of the mountain were 170s. I was following the crowd down a run that was relatively flat but started to steepen towards the end. As I was coming down I hit some ice lost my edge and fell right on my shoulder, I heard the collar bone snap.

We were living in central coast CA at the time so I jokingly blame my wife for not letting me get to Tahoe or mammoth last year during the epic snowfall so I had to go to Germany to ski.

Fun fact if you ever find yourself in the hospital in Bavaria they'll bring you beer with your hospital meal
Jock 07
AG
Not sure what kind of snow y'all are getting up there in the mountains but down here in the springs it's the fat wet stuff that's falling
FC12
The beer culture in this area is hilarious and awesome. It's a true part of life as are schnapps.
At St. Anton yesterday- at 2300 meters we were in the cloud. It was the most disoriented I think I haver ever been traversing a slope. Luckily it shifted a bit from being in the cloud to just light snow and higher clouds.

If you decide to give the Alps another go, let me know. Would be happy to be a tour guide in the area.
JustPanda
AG
Super nice. Could've been a little colder but overall really nice.
Jock 07
AG
Will do. The Brits & Germans and even one of the Aussies I worked with at my last job raved about the Dolemites, I'll have to check it out some day.
JustPanda
AG
Tomboy Tavern for drinks and a quick recharge. Hitting everything here again tomorrow and Sunday, Vail Tuesday - Friday and then off the Tulum for a couple weeks to warm up.
FirefightAg
AG
Drove from Georgetown on I70 to Leadville, went through Dillion and past Copper. Traffic was crazy. Left at 615A arrived at Leadville at 835. Roads went too bad. Tons of fresh snow to ride sleds in at Tourquise Lake.

JustPanda
AG
15 inches overnight at BC!

HEAVY TRAFFIC heading into the mountains. CDOT showing 2+ hours from Denver to Silverthorne. 70 East is closed at Lookout Mountain and may be closed for an extended period of time (multiple car pile up).

24 hour storm totals

12 at SS
8 at Telly
3 at Purg
1 at WC
7 at Breck
3 at Key
5 at Snowmass
7 at Vail

That's 2 ft in 2 days for BC, SS, and Telly.

BEAUTIFUL morning here in Ridgway. Moon is hella vibing up there! Cold but blue bird. Roads look all cleared too.

If anyone is up this way and wants to catch some laps or a drink, LMK!

It should be one of the best mornings of the whole season.

Breck, Vail, BC, Telly and Snowmass are all now pushing over 50 inch bases. Vail, SS, and BC are now above 100% of the average for this time of the season. SS has been above it for awhile but Vail and BC dipping back under but now have a solid pop to the upside!

More snow expected in Southern/Central Colorado over the next 5-10 (Telly,WC, Purg getting 24-50+ inches). Shaping up to be a quiet next 10 on the 70 corridor.

Today's ski and boot choice: 192 Atomic Bent Chetler 120s on Pivot 15 Forzas w Lange RS 130s.

Edit to add: CO Trip now showing 3+ hours from Denver to Silverthorne. WTF!!!

rather be fishing
AG
My legs are dead
evestor1
headed to purgatory tomorrow. have flight to durango and thinking of changing incoming flight to Montrose.

Can anyone give an opinion of driving a rental suburban (AWD) from Montrose to Purgatory via Million Dollar Highway?

It is currently clear and looking to be the same for tomorrow when i'd be driving through. I drive on snow and ice somewhat often, but not in the mountains so i am hesitant.
JustPanda
AG
When do you plan on driving back? BIG snow coming this week.

Why would you be changing your flight? You're adding a couple hours and red mountain pass. Durango would be the slide if it was me. If you're flying into Montrose, ski Telly. We're here right now and it's fantastic.
evestor1
flying out of durango on saturday.
evestor1
JustPanda said:

When do you plan on driving back? BIG snow coming this week.

Why would you be changing your flight? You're adding a couple hours and red mountain pass. Durango would be the slide if it was me. If you're flying into Montrose, ski Telly. We're here right now and it's fantastic.

Durango has a connection via denver. And we would have to wake up at 5am. the montrose flight is 930am with no connections.

i am traveling with 4 kids under 10 and not wanting to walk them through the entire b terminal of DIA.

Not doing telluride b/c of the kids and how much the lift tickets would cost me!
JustPanda
AG
Durango still 1000%.
JustPanda
AG
Hella day at Tellly!

trip98
AG
Super bummed...was supposed to be flying up to Colorado tonight but son hurt his knee. Still working with Dr thru it and so far nothing major but enough to make skiing too risky
Hopefully next year
JustPanda
AG
Come up and let him hang out. Spa, sauna, hot tub, and maybe do a dog sled or snow mobile? If you're headed around Vail we have a couple sleds… Will be back in the Grand/Vail Valley Tuesday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.