Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,932 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Lezz go! We're heading to Hood tomorrow to cut our Christmas tree. I'll probably skin up T-line or White River for a few turns.
Cibalo
We booked a trip to Keystone in Mid January.

I have no idea how to prepare for this trip as neither my wife or I have ever been skiing or to a ski resort. The main purpose is to take our kids (6 and 3) to see real snow and get some ski lessons. My wife and I will not be skiing.

Planning on going to the snow fort and I will take my oldest on the tubes. We also are going to do a sleigh ride.

Any tips on types of clothes we need to buy for the kids? I know we need snow pants, we have jackets and gloves. Do we need to buy helmets and goggles? What about shoes? We are pretty clueless but want to make this a fun trip for the kids.
JustPanda
AG
Shoot me an email and I'll help make you a list. That's right about the coldest time of year, so you'll want to pack warm.

For kids, I prefer ski bibs to ski pants. Much warmer. You'll want to get some good goretex or waterproof gloves and glove liners along with neck/face gaiters to block wind/cold on their faces. Knit hats for when not skiing. Helmets will keep their head warm during skiing (you can rent helmet from ski shop).

You'll need to buy the following:

ski socks (smart wool or darn tough) (don't skimp here)
thermal base layers (smart wool or hot chilis again don't skimp here)
ski bibs - 2L or 3 L preferably or but goretex or similar at minimum.
Ski gloves & liners (I prefer mittens for kids + makes hand warmers in the gloves way easier)
Neck warmer / face gaiter (my kids prefer 2 thin gaiters that they can layer over a heavy single that doesn't breath well)
Ski goggles
Ski jacket
Hot Hands to put inside their gloves (hot hands toes if you want to be able to stick the heater to the inside of the glove (the toes come with adhesive)

The key to shoes is going to be waterproofing. If you're walking through snow, there's no real way around getting your feet moist unless you're wearing waterproof boots. They make tons for kids that aren't expensive so I'd look at sun and ski etc. the key is making sure you waterproof them.

Hands, toes, and head are the places you lose heat so keeping those warm will pay huge dividends everywhere else.

One last thing: NEVER put the Hot Hands Toes on the bottom of the ski boot or shoe. ALWAYS put them stuck to the top of the shoe in the toe bed. If you put them on the bottom you can burn your toes VERY badly and create a crazy surface for your arch that you'll feel big time later and make sure where your base layers meet your socks is flush and not bumpy or your shin will hate you)

If you have any questions about brand quality etc feel free to ask.

My kids prefer to wear a single thermal base layer under their bibs (one likes sweatpants the others smartwool), they usually wear multiple top layers (smartwool thermal, bigger sized smart wool thermal or hoodie, and then ski jacket), glove liners, gloves, gaiters, goggles and helmet, Nothing too crazy.

At 3, they're probs going to be mostly magic carpet (mom and dad can stand at the bottom and cheer them on - and have snacks / hot chocolate for in between runs )

At 6 there probs going to be mostly magic carpet to start but may get up on the bunny hill a little to practice pizza and French fries.

just a little note: your kids will be hearing pizza and French fries all during their lesson - I might suggest bringing comfy shoes and grabbing some pizza and french fries and maybe even ice cream when theyre done. A) it puts something warm in their bellys and B it helps them teach you about what they learned in class which helps embody the cognition C) it gives them something to look forward to the next day. little operant conditioning.

Plus, if you go to Pizza on the Run, its almost next to impossible for my Sumco homies not to be working and if you politely let them know that panda says they are terrible skiers and listen to terrible music and that he hates them with all of his heart, there's a good good chance they will give you free food and drinks. Same for the bowling alley.

If you need help w the rentals, we have 3 shops in Breck. Since it's only kids gear, if you don't mind picking up from Breck, I can probs get you a friends and family discount (50% off but I may be able to get it comped since it's 2 sets of kids gear).

On another note: Woke up to a pleasant little snow storm this morning in Glenwood. Expected to continue through the day and into the night/Monday morning. Looks like about 6 inches and coming down pretty good at Snowmass. Maybe we can push another couple of inches today and another couple tonight/tomorrow. Then snow potentially Thursday - Saturday. Vail is getting it pretty good too. Summit doesn't look like they're getting hit nearly as hard.
JustPanda
AG
Coming down hella right now

https://www.aspensnowmass.com/aspen-snowmass-app/snowmass-snow-stake-cam
MAS444
AG
Just got to telluride an hour ago. Little bit of a white knuckle drive from Durango. Several cars spun out, wrecks, etc. Everyone be careful out there!
Cibalo
Dude thanks, this is so helpful.
JustPanda
AG
Swing through Cheeba Hut when you head through Silverthorne. Killer tasty subs.

Just sent you some links for kids gear that I'd be totally comfortable putting my kids in. I tried to send things on sale. If you need base layer recs, let me know.

You can also use the Nikwax (sp?) waterproofing spray on tennis shoes. It works well if you don't want to buy snow boots. One thing we do is carry a couple of extra pairs of socks to keep the kids feet dry. It's easier to buy 2-3 pairs of socks and spray waterproof shoes then try and get them to break in an wear new shoes.

If you do want to get them boots, I suggest Sorel. Merrell, or Lands End. You'll spend a little more, but it's worth it. It'd still spray waterproof them. Regardless of what they say…

https://www.rei.com/product/221964/merrell-snow-bank-40-waterproof-boots-kids?sku=2219640003&store=235&CAWELAID=120217890017109579&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=111217810736&CATCI=pla-452926150995&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_2219640003%7C92700057791489719%7CNB%7C71700000074093067&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAgeeqBhBAEiwAoDDhnxULZnoYSCC_tJNAwE2Fz5UHzFTMlfzv8GqHzruBx0x5Js1611FBJRoC3TsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.landsend.com/products/kids-expedition-insulated-winter-snow-boots/id_347581?attributes=24587&source=GS¤cy=USD&geo=US&skumv=5838857&promotion-code=KIDSBOOTS&promotion-pin=0&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%23PLA%2F_(1)_GGL_(2)_US_(7)_GEN_(9)_Shoes%7C&cm_mmc=139971612&SC=pla_non-brand&CMPGN=11304131265&ADGRP=113761301991&KYW=&MT=&DV=m&PID=5838857&TRGT=pla-980215510065&gclid=CjwKCAiAgeeqBhBAEiwAoDDhn0Vo51P-v-VLUW7IxxHIZHXfDmifgs8SMrrGftEo-CmqeozJV8ycXhoCDQcQAvD_BwE&CH=Google%20AdWords&_cclid=Google_CjwKCAiAgeeqBhBAEiwAoDDhn0Vo51P-v-VLUW7IxxHIZHXfDmifgs8SMrrGftEo-CmqeozJV8ycXhoCDQcQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1

Edit to add: Columbia also has a great kids line for the price. Fart bags, bibs, jackets, and boots.

And 2L means the bibs contain 2 layers. 2.5 means 2.5 layers and 3L means 3 layers. The more layers the bibs carry, the fewer you need to layer. So wearing 2L + a base layer is like having 3 layers or 2 base layers and the bibs for a 1L bib.
JustPanda
AG
For helmets - call and make sure their helmets have MIPS. I wouldn't let my kids or family members get on the hill without a helmet and without a helmet with MIPS. Your wife will appreciate you caring about their brains.
JustPanda
AG
Picked up 9 inches yesterday on top of the 3 the day before. Woke up to it snowing today, too. Probs about an inch has fallen and maybe another inch expected. 8 forecast over the next 5 so that'd be a storm total of around 20 inches.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Extra socks is a must.

One tip that a lot of people seem to forget, especially with younger kids, bring lots of Kleenex wipes. They will get snotty and it's nice to have those rather than getting it all over your clothes.

JP, were you able to find that Marker code?

Also, do you have any recs/codes for skins? Leaning towards a Blaze 94 but haven't fully decided yet on skis.
RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

any recs/codes for skins?
I have 3 seasons on my current Pomocas. 100+ days of uphill. Would not buy anything else.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I have 3 seasons on my current Pomocas. 100+ days of uphill. Would not buy anything else.
Sweet. Just did their online quiz for a skin rec and it recommended the Climb 2.0. Do you have to trim those? I assume trimming them is not that difficult?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Leaning towards a Blaze 94 but haven't fully decided yet on skis.

I've been on Blaze 94s the past 2 seasons and have been happy with them. Wish I went a little wider but that's not really the skis' fault.
JustPanda
AG
+1
JustPanda
AG
If you have to trim, it's super easy.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah my all mountains are 98s and that's about as narrow as I'd go unless ripping carvers or hella ice. 94 is way wider than most people go in the rental shop. It hard to get people on 88s…ugh.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
We get our cascade concrete out here so I've got a fear of going too wide. But realistically, I should probably be up in the 100-105 range and keep my current 85s for groomer days.
rather be fishing
AG
JP - what's your pro deal price on Virtika Signature bibs?
RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Sweet. Just did their online quiz for a skin rec and it recommended the Climb 2.0. Do you have to trim those? I assume trimming them is not that difficult?
You trim them on the ski. Just buy a skin cutter. Super easy.

I keep forgetting that you're in Medford. I have aspirations of spending more time on Crater, Mt. Scott, Mt. McLoughlin and Mt. Ashland. Some really approachable tours in your area!

It looks like we won't be skiing this weekend in-bounds. Bachelor had to delay their opening. We were up on Hood this weekend skinning to find our Christmas tree. A few spirited turns, but coverage is bleak with the melt and rain the past few days.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Been going there since I was 4 years old (early/mid 80s). Lucky enough to have my dad's business partner have a duplex there. CB is my favorite place on earth (tied with Aggieland). It's a lot more crowded than it used to be but it's still awesome. I might like summer more than winter there, but both are great.

Skied all over CO and NM, and UT once. Taking the family to Park City, my 2nd time to ski there and their first. Mostly going there to take advantage of points but also taking a couple days to drive south to Moab and check out Arches NP.

Going 9th of December-17th December, just skiing 3 days. Hopefully enough snow!

JustPanda
AG
Usually 30% off but I need to ask Dave for this years promo.
JustPanda
AG
Snowmass and BC still plan on opening this week. Just got the emails.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Usually 30% off but I need to ask Dave for this years promo.
Man, I think I might have to take advantage of that. I've got some Marmot bibs that are 10,000mm I think and just not as warm as I would like.
JustPanda
AG
They're honestly the warmest best bibs I've ever worn in 36 years of skiing. Warmest and functional and well made. The jackets too. All around just incredible gear. Far better than any of the Spyder, 686, Burton, North Face, etc that I've worn and that's saying something.

I just got the Rossignol pro deal Black Friday announcement and there are some killer deals:

Look Pivot 14 GW (Raw, Gold, Forza): $150.00 (usually $379.99)
Look Pivot 15 GW (Raw, Gold, Forza): $175.00 plus tax (usually $429)

M-Free, M-Pro, M-Vertical Line: $800 sets in sale for $250, $900 sets for $300, and $1000 sets for $350. All waists 82,88,98,108,118

Most bindings 50-80% off

For Boots: MINDBLOWN on these deals:

Lange World Cup RS140 ZSoft & ZR 95 $350 normally $1,050

Lange RS 130 LV & MV: $325 normally $1,000

Lange RS 120 LV & MV: $275 normally $850

For the RS 120s and 130s the come in the option of Shadow Grey or Legend Blue

These are the same hard shells that Surefoot uses. Way cheaper to buy the hardshell and liner at these prices and then either have them heat molded and shaved or a custom surefoot liner replacement added after market. If you want to add the Surefoot Liner is $465.

Surefoot sells the 130s liner plus hard shell for $1,265 so if you buy the boot and liner separately you're all in for $790 so saving $475 and the extra tax.

The 120s at SF are $995-1,165 so you're all in around $740 vs. $995 plus tax.

It's super easy and since it's the hard wheel they sell, you know they will be able to work with you. Sometimes they will even cut you a better deal than what I'm quoting.

I've bought several pairs of boots for people on here before after they went and got fitted at surefoot. This is the deal of the year on hardshells so if you need them and know your mondo, you won't beat these prices. They are a steal at 50% off and I've never seen them go 70% on the whole lineup. That's amazing.
JustPanda
AG
I can also get 40% off at www.grasssticks.com for Ski Poles or SUP paddles. They are sick and a nice little conversation piece w most tourists.

Edit to add: Just talked with them and it's actually 50%!
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

They're honestly the warmest best bibs I've ever worn in 36 years of skiing. Warmest and functional and well made. The jackets too. All around just incredible gear. Far better than any of the Spyder, 686, Burton, North Face, etc that I've worn and that's saying something.

I just got the Rossignol pro deal Black Friday announcement and there are some killer deals:

Look Pivot 14 GW (Raw, Gold, Forza): $150.00 (usually $379.99)
Look Pivot 15 GW (Raw, Gold, Forza): $175.00 plus tax (usually $429)

M-Free, M-Pro, M-Vertical Line: $800 sets in sale for $250, $900 sets for $300, and $1000 sets for $350. All waists 82,88,98,108,118

Most bindings 50-80% off

For Boots: MINDBLOWN on these deals:

Lange World Cup RS140 ZSoft & ZR 95 $350 normally $1,050

Lange RS 130 LV & MV: $325 normally $1,000

Lange RS 120 LV & MV: $275 normally $850

For the RS 120s and 130s the come in the option of Shadow Grey or Legend Blue

These are the same hard shells that Surefoot uses. Way cheaper to buy the hardshell and liner at these prices and then either have them heat molded and shaved or a custom surefoot liner replacement added after market. If you want to add the Surefoot Liner is $465.

Surefoot sells the 130s liner plus hard shell for $1,265 so if you buy the boot and liner separately you're all in for $790 so saving $475 and the extra tax.

The 120s at SF are $995-1,165 so you're all in around $740 vs. $995 plus tax.

It's super easy and since it's the hard wheel they sell, you know they will be able to work with you. Sometimes they will even cut you a better deal than what I'm quoting.

I've bought several pairs of boots for people on here before after they went and got fitted at surefoot. This is the deal of the year on hardshells so if you need them and know your mondo, you won't beat these prices. They are a steal at 50% off and I've never seen them go 70% on the whole lineup. That's amazing.

Yeah, I definitely want to buy a pair of the Virtikas. What's the best way to do that with you, email?

Do they run slim or baggy? I typically buy large in everything but their size guide seems to be strong me more towards medium.
JustPanda
AG
They are designed for tall people. Dave is 6'4. Most of my 6'0-6'4 friends wear the XL. The ones that want a little more length wear the XLT for jackets. My friends that are 6'4 or taller wear the XXL.

Don't ask why I know that - I just do after years of skiing with them and us all having similar kits.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah just shoot me an email with what you'd like and I'll get in touch with Dave and get a price. Then I'll order them and then I'll send them to you USPS/UPS. I usually pick them up from him in Dillon.

Edited to add: you can Venmo me or Zelle me once you get them. I don't want to collect from you until you have them and try them on etc. Just lmk soon because they sell out and once they're gone they don't restock the line…ever. So if a pattern resonates get them or 2 lol.
Pahdz
yeesh....so probably not good for someone 5'9 205 with a athletic legs?
JustPanda
AG
I wear the medium and love them. I'm 5'9.
Pahdz
Yeah but I got some junk in tbe trunk. Most mediums can sometimes be too snug in the ass
rather be fishing
AG
Pahdz said:

Yeah but I got some junk in tbe trunk. Most mediums can sometimes be too snug in the ass

Yeah, same problem. I'm 5'7" 190.

JP, I'm sending you an email now.
JustPanda
AG
My homies all rag me for not having the largest because they like really baggy. If nothing else, grab the L and look like a steezy local out there. I really can't say enough about how sick there gear is. I'm gonna grab a new pair if I'm calling Dave lol.
bkag9824
AG
JP - do you get discounts on QST 92s?

Bought a 2023 blank set and Marker 13s from Evo for ~$600, but was encouraged to send them back since I only get to ski a few days/year. Y'all have any demos in good shape laying around? Looking for 168 cm.

What shop do you work with/for?
JustPanda
AG
Charter Sports

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.