Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,917 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

I'm heading to Bach tomorrow. By Monday, all the snow will be washed away in OR/WA via atmospheric river. Freezing level 10k'+ and 4-5" of rain forecasted.
Yeah, last I saw was 8000'.

Your skinning, right? I think they are closing the resort to uphill access tomorrow. Probably to try to open for the weekend?

https://www.mtbachelor.com/the-mountain/weather-operations/conditions-report
RangerRick9211
AG
Oh! Good thing there's Three Sisters + Broken Top literally across the street that's wide open.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Oh! Good thing there's Three Sisters + Broken Top literally across the street that's wide open.
Yeah definitely.

It looks like Bachelor just announced they're opening on Saturday. Might try to make the day trip up.
RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Yeah definitely.

It looks like Bachelor just announced they're opening on Saturday. Might try to make the day trip up.

Yo! I just saw on Instagram. Wife and I are discussing as well! We're burning our Amex FH&R credits this year at the Sunriver Lodge anyways, so we'll be in town. But, I envision I'll either be solo or skinning South Sister. Neither the wife or 5 year old want any part of 3' blower day to start the year.

Now, to pick Santiam or Willamette pass. Doomed either way I suppose.
JustPanda
AG
Just updated our forecast (Snowmass) to 24 inches over the next 10.

Dry line still holding just east of Vail.

Vail - 20
BC - 21
Breck - 13
Keystone - 9
RangerRick9211
AG
18Z GFS is out:

Western Montana, Idaho, NW Wyoming, UT and CO all seeing decent #s through 12/15.

Baker with an unreal 9' over the next 15 days. Unfortunately, it's going to get washed out. We have a real flooding/landslide threat in the PNW.

Sierras getting skunked the next few weeks.
rather be fishing
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

18Z GFS is out:

Western Montana, Idaho, NW Wyoming, UT and CO all seeing decent #s through 12/15.

Baker with an unreal 9' over the next 15 days. Unfortunately, it's going to get washed out. We have a real flooding/landslide threat in the PNW.

Sierras getting skunked the next few weeks.

I'll be at Schweitzer Saturday/Sunday (and every Friday-Sunday through the end of February). It's looking better by the day up there, but base is only 16" right now. Should be in much better shape by next weekend based on the forecast.
jrm90
AG
Live in Park City, Christi's has good rentals so does Jan's… tons of food get reservations now… depends on where you stay if your close to Main Street not many are bad… if your staying close to Cannons there are restaurants in Kimball Junction that are really good cheap Mexican really good sushi and Italian… in The canyons there are good restaurants in the Penndry… if you have kids and you want local pizza there is a place called Fuego's really good… several good restaurants on Kearns as well Blind dog and Sammy's is really good too,, good burger joint that will remind you of the chicken is No Name Bar and Saloon on Main Street no minors allowed let me know if this helps or you have other questions
jrm90
AG
Ski schoool at DV and PC are both good… different ski passes deer valley is ikon and PC/Canyons is Epic
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thank you!
jrm90
AG
Couple of other things make sure get parking reservations if you ski PC side if you ski on the Canyons side you can park at the bottom and take Cabriolet up or pay for preferred parking at the top… Top 3 best restaurants Prime Steak, Blind Dog and Sushi Blue…
HUEY04
AG
jrm90, I just booked a solo trip to Park City, skiing the 1st-3rd, never been before. Staying in east Salt Lake and have a rental to drive in each day. I haven't skied in 12 yrs and mainly stuck to blues with a few easier blacks at Telluride back in the day. Have an Epic pass, any recs for Canyons vs PCMR for getting back into the hang of things, parking, eating, etc?
JustPanda
AG
PC is going to be wider longer and more groomed runs. I'd start there if it was me.

Take a look at Solitude if you're out that way. Super fun little hill in Big CW Canyon.
jrm90
AG
I assume 1-3rd of Jan… doesn't really matter but allow time to get up in the morning it will get crowed on 80 especially if there is powder.. I would get up early better than sitting in traffic I would park at the Canyons there is a parking lot behind a 7-11 at the base of Canyons and you take lift(Cabriolet lift to base). If really want to start on the PC side of mountain you can get a reservation at PCMR ( Park City Main Resort) there is a slow Lift that goes up from Main Street called town lift wouldn't recommend unless you stayed on Main Street in PC. You can eat on the mountain and the Canyons side of the mountain and Park city side of mountain are connect so you can ski both. Tons of food in Kimball Junction for the way down back to SLC… Main Street is awesome and has some really good bars and place to hang after skiing No Name is awesome…. Not many bars off Main Street … sports bar on Kearns near base of PC called BoneYards is cool…. there are Ski rental places at Canyons base not sure of the name or you go to Christi Sports in Kimball Junction area they are great….
jrm90
AG
Also PC/Canyons are epic passes… if you go to Solitide Brighton Alta or Snowbird or Deer Valley they are Ikon… I ski Deer Valley 90% of the time…
HUEY04
AG
Thanks, yes 1st- 3rd of January and I was planning to leave SLC by 7:00 each morning at the latest, I'm an early riser anyway so probably earlier. I had been looking at that cabriolet lift lot at Canyons, how easy is it to get from one side to the other? If I ski all day and go down into Park City atbthe end of the day for dinner c I even get back to that lot? Would it be better to finish skiing on the Canyons side, then go look for paid parking in town for food and a drink?
HUEY04
AG
Also, I have skis and boots so won't need to stop on to rent if that makes a difference
Jock 07
AG
Went to PC for the first time a couple of years ago with my brother for a last hurrah ski trip deal before my twins were born. We ate at davanazas which is a cool little dive bar/ pizza spot that was relatively cheap.
Got back home ~12 hrs before my twins were born when they came 9 weeks early. I still thank United for not delaying any of my flights that day.
JustPanda
AG
It's coming down HARD right now on the Garfied/Pitkin county line. Probs at about 2 inches and it's only been snowing for about 90 minutes.
jrm90
AG
If the whole mountain is open it's a gondola ride bewteen the mountains and relative easy…there is a free bus service and you can always grab and Uber back to the lot…. Once the mountain close that would be your only option the gondola is mid mountain… Personally I would probably drive into town and park in the China Bridge Garage up near main street
jrm90
AG
Devannes has great pizza
Pahdz
Us and another family are looking to head west from our normal 300' vert skiing in Minnesota this season, likely around 2/28-3/3.

My wife and I are huge Whitefish fans, but I've never been to any of the Utah/Salt Lake area resorts and want to look somewhere around there. If I'm remembering right, Deer Valley is all groomed and higher end right? Is Alta the place that's skiers only? We do have one 13 year old snowboarder in the group and the rest of the group are all intermediate skiers (3 kids aged 12, 13 and 13).

Where would you guys head?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Pahdz said:

Us and another family are looking to head west from our normal 300' vert skiing in Minnesota this season, likely around 2/28-3/3.

My wife and I are huge Whitefish fans, but I've never been to any of the Utah/Salt Lake area resorts and want to look somewhere around there. If I'm remembering right, Deer Valley is all groomed and higher end right? Is Alta the place that's skiers only? We do have one 13 year old snowboarder in the group and the rest of the group are all intermediate skiers (3 kids aged 12, 13 and 13).

Where would you guys head?

Alta and DV are both skiers only. Both are awesome for different reasons. Hard to best PC but Brighton &Solitude are great as well.
jrm90
AG
I would agree with Chip if you have skiers and boarders PC/Canyons is hard to beat and you can get everything you want from groomers to trees to bowls and a lot of vertical and moguls . If the kids like to park ski PC is really good… you also have Woodward for the kids if they want to do rails jumps and half pipe. I personally love DV and can ski the whole mountain trees bowls blues blacks moguls as well just no boarders… big misconception in DV they don't groom everything if they get POW they don't goon everything multiple days in knee deep pow last yr

Brighton and Solitude are very local and great mountains … Alta and Bird are for serious skiers intermediate and above…. I live in the Canyons so don't venture out much and it would take me 45-1hr without traffic to get to that side of Wasatch. You basically have to drive back to SLC……Also Powder Mt and Snow Basin don't get their credit both are really good mountains as well
jrm90
AG
Not to make anyone jealous here is a pic of Park City and DV in the back….we are about to get about 24"
rather be fishing
AG
I know everyone is in peak excitement about downhill right now, but I have a cross country situation I want to get sorted this year.

I need to make a track setter to pull with my tractor so we can get a circuit around our property for my wife. Anyone have experience with something like that?

Tractor is an 18hp 4x4 with chains so I shouldn't have any problem as long as I can stay on top of it. I just need to know the basics on what the setter needs to have. I've found a few different designs online to give me an idea. Looking for any other insight.
jrm90
AG
I have no idea if you know any golf superintendents in the mountains they would be able to tell you since most of them make CC tracks on the golf courses in winter
trip98
AG
PSA for anyone planning a trip from Houston that hasn't booked yet..

son and I are headed to Dillon (skiing keystone) first week of february (let me know if anyone else is going to be there). Got great deal on 4 day lift tickets that are restricted to keystone or crested butte. $500 total for both of us for 4 days!!

Next up was airfare. United just lowered prices a good bit from IAH to DEN. Price into Vail (EGE) wasn't bad but non-stop option limited that didn't fit our schedule. I booked us roundtrip for $340 total then bought 1 seat placement. Yes, it was basic economy but I have one of the United cards so still get to take carryon and priority boarding plus free checked bag. All I did was pay $36 RT for my son to give him assigned seat so all in for $375. I wanted to try this out. My thinking is when check in opens 24 hours before departure I will get my seat (likely a middle seat) and I'll just move his paid for seat to be next to me. Never tried it but it's my thinking so we'll see how it works out
LRHF
AG
jrm90 said:

I would agree with Chip if you have skiers and boarders PC/Canyons is hard to beat and you can get everything you want from groomers to trees to bowls and a lot of vertical and moguls . If the kids like to park ski PC is really good… you also have Woodward for the kids if they want to do rails jumps and half pipe. I personally love DV and can ski the whole mountain trees bowls blues blacks moguls as well just no boarders… big misconception in DV they don't groom everything if they get POW they don't goon everything multiple days in knee deep pow last yr

Brighton and Solitude are very local and great mountains … Alta and Bird are for serious skiers intermediate and above…. I live in the Canyons so don't venture out much and it would take me 45-1hr without traffic to get to that side of Wasatch. You basically have to drive back to SLC……Also Powder Mt and Snow Basin don't get their credit both are really good mountains as well

Grew up skiing in SLC. Brighton and solitude are great for families. Brighton has night skiing! Alta is by far my favorite but hit snowbird when back in town to see family since we snowboard now. Got engaged at the top of the tram in the 90's!
jrm90
AG
Sweet! My son skied the bird this morning with his office
dave99ag
AG
jrm90 said:

Not to make anyone jealous here is a pic of Park City and DV in the back….we are about to get about 24"
We're headed to PCMR next week. I know it's early season, but the kids will still have fun. Very happy that at least some snow is coming in this weekend!

It looks like more is open at Canyons, so we'll be playing it by ear.
JustPanda
AG
I can help you with rentals but you'll need to drive to Vail. You can drop off in Breck or Copper.
Jock 07
AG
At Keystone today, still limited terrain and you can tell it's been a few days since fresh snow but all in all not too bad. Still beats the hell outta sitting in the office dreaming about being on the mountain.
jrm90
AG
Snows coming
rather be fishing
AG
jrm90 said:

I have no idea if you know any golf superintendents in the mountains they would be able to tell you since most of them make CC tracks on the golf courses in winter
I'm pretty sure our local course doesn't do it (although I really should know since I lease half of their course land to them), but that's a good suggestion to talk to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.