Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,905 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't be worried if you're planning on leaving that early. It's supposed to start tonight and then carry through tomorrow all day. I would keep the road conditions open on CO Trip and play it by ear. Honestly, I'd probs be trying to catch some early Sunday POW laps and then head out. I know that's not what you asked, but I wouldn't be able to pass up fresh tracks on a pow day. Just probs plan on leaving by noon or a little before but that's all dependent on what CO Trip looks like at that point in time. 6:15 flight and getting to DIA 2 hours before would mean arriving around 4:00 - 4:15 and I'd give myself 4 hours of travel time or maybe a bit more - so yeah I think you could catch some laps and don't think you'll have an issue. At least if 70 has issues you can sneak out over Hoosier and take 285.
JustPanda
AG
Headed to BC to ski w my brother and his fam today. If anyone's headed this way and needs parking, you're welcome to park at my mom's place.

Working on a snow update as I type this Give me like an hour. Overall, shaping up for a really amazing next 14 days! That's the cliff notes but I'll dive deeper here shortly.

UT and WY are catching a TON of snow w this system. My in laws in Jackson are expected 4-5 ft on top of probs 2-3 ft that's already fallen. Thinking we may do a quick EGE to Jackson trip later this week because there's no where better than JH on a POW day. Probs my fav POW day slide.

SunrayAg
AG
JustPanda said:

Headed to BC to ski w my brother and his fam today. If anyone's headed this way and needs parking, you're welcome to park at my mom's place.

Working on a snow update as I type this Give me like an hour. Overall, shaping up for a really amazing next 14 days! That's the cliff notes but I'll dive deeper here shortly.

UT and WY are catching a TON of snow w this system. My in laws in Jackson are expected 4-5 ft on top of probs 2-3 ft that's already fallen. Thinking we may do a quick EGE to Jackson trip later this week because there's no where better than JH on a POW day. Probs my fav POW day slide.

Got so much snow they had to close Grand Targhee for the day, across the mountain from Jackson.
SonOf_an_Ag
AG
Need some guidance. Coming into DEN Sat 9th at 6pm and driving up to Beaver for 3 days of skiing with kids, 6 of us. Getting in late and want to get the most skiing on the first day, what's the easiest place to rent ski's? Panda, I rented last yr at Charter at Charter, but staying at Park Plaza condo near PH and centennial. Does charter deliver and leave in unit? Then if something doesn't fit I drive over at 8 am to fix? Or just rent next to centennial area? Can I get passes picked up, 6 rentals sorted out starting at 8am and be on slopes by 9?

Any tips appreciated. Also any intermediate glade tips? Had Kendo 88's last yr and they were bomb on runs but thinking I want to focus on trees this time, any ski options to try?
JustPanda
AG
Good news: if you have access to your account, you can do the passes on your phone through the myepic account.

For the trees, in what we carry, depending on waist, I'd say Kore Head 93's, the Faction Mana 2.0s, the M-Free 99s, and on powder days, the Bent 110s. We all have a little different inventory so I'm not exactly sure what they have without easyrent open.

We open at 8 and if you put the pickup for Saturday after 1pm, the gear will be ready to fit and go at open. I prefer to go in and get gear vs having it delivered.

If you'd like a BC/BG tree tour guide, lmk. I'm happy to show you around.
rather be fishing
AG
We were headed up with the whole family today and had to call it off because it's snowing so much right now. We'll try again tomorrow. It's been coming down over 1"/hr for probably 3 hours now.
JustPanda
AG
Colorado & Rockies Ski Update

First let's get to the crazy numbers:

Last 24, Last 5, Next 5, Next 10, Base

WY:

JH: 30, 63 , 29, 30, 124

UT:

PC: 1, 13, 19, 24, 91
Solitude: 0, 10, 24, 28, 97

CO:

Vail: 0, 8, 18, 23, 63
BC: 0, 12, 20, 26, 59
Snowmass: 0, 20, 17, 24, 66
SS: 0, 9, 21, 27, 104
Breck: 0, 9, 12, 16, 53
Key: 0, 5, 10, 14, 48
Telly: 0, 9, 6, 16, 51
Purg: 0, 9, 10, 16, 47
WC: 0, 10, 13, 20, 71

Overall CRAZY conditions in JH (headed there this week!) and some solid conditions through UT and Colorado. Overall snowfall for this system looks to be heavier in Northern Colorado and along the Roaring Fork and Vail Valleys.

Here are the wind predictions for tomorrow: you'll notice the lighter winds correspond to more snow in this storm. Dark purple (higher winds are green)

Edit to add: those expected temps are in centigrade.

JustPanda
AG
I'm always hesitant to rent for Vail Sports. I just can't support the dark side and don't think they keep their gear in great shape. If you don't go through us. I'd recommend Venture Sports in Avon or Ski Butlers. I wouldn't rent from Vail. Just my personal 2c.

Ski Butlers has the nicest gear and will drop off and pickup from your hotel, but they are also pricier. If you go top of the line they are like $130 a day and if you go with the line under that (what would be our demo level) they are like $85 + tax so like $15/say more expensive than us.

Overall, both are really good and provide a lot of opportunities for locals which is always appreciated vs Vail Resorts who just kinda sucks the life out of people and run their operations as a publicly traded company which isn't usually great for the employees or town.

https://avonventuresports.com/home/winter-locations-avon-ski-snowboard-shop/ ($52 a day demo rentals are unheard of around here).
SonOf_an_Ag
AG
I have done ski butlers in DV and was not impressed w the service or gear but it was late in the season. I know enough to stay away from Vail but it is enticing being right there by the condo (how the evil empire runs, convenience vs quality). I think we will do charter and if we need to change out we will just have to hop off the lifts for a bit to get it squared away. Can I park in front of The Charter at 8 am to pickup?
JustPanda
AG
You won't need to drive. You can take the Village Connect shuttle. Then have the shuttle pick you back up and drop you off at Centennial Station if you don't want to make the walk in ski boots and gear.

If you know your mondos, put them in when you make the reservation. I suggest people size 1 mondo down to what they actually measure. I ski down 2 (measure 26.5 and ski a 24.5).
JustPanda
AG
Vail BC and Snowmass forecast just updated. Add an extra 4 over 5 for each. So BC now expecting 25 over 5.
Yesterday
AG
Let's go spring break!!
JustPanda
AG
Vail & Snowmass 10 overnight and still falling
BC 15 overnight and still falling
Breck: 8
Keystone: 6
SS: 8
Telly: 5

I-70 is a total cluster from GWS all the way to Eisenhower tunnel. Lots of wrecks, stalled cars, and closures. I'm not gonna even try to get into Vail until the roads are much better. May not happen today because I'm not driving in if they aren't cleared before 11am. Not worth my time and gas. Sucks to miss a deep POW day, but also a great day for Iron Mountain.
bmet
AG
Anyone been to Banff? Any preferred ski rental shops (or ones to stay away from)?
Pahdz
My buddy I'm out here at Whitefish with has now had two pairs of custom fitted boots that he cannot ski on without ridiculous pain. This definitely wasn't the smartest on his part but his second set he bought this winter in Minnesota he never skiied on before we came out here, and did two runs Friday before he went to the shop in the Village and had them try to rework them, which didn't really work.

He has ridiculously high arches and a very square toe frame. The fitter here told him he needs a three piece boot. He definitely needs something with a square toe box.

Any recs? He needs to just bite the bullet and go to Surefoot huh?
JustPanda
AG
SF has different shaped arch supports and toe beds. I have the same issue and that's why I have to go custom.
Pahdz
Sounds like he needs to get on a plane and go to SF
JustPanda
AG
Made it to Vail. Hitting the slopes around 12:30-1 / 3pm
JustPanda
AG
Unbelievable conditions out there today. Tons of snow, lots of wind but TONS of snow.

Had to throw my old ski patrol hat on at one point. Found a dude in the trees that tore open his sack on a tree limb. ****!

Edit to add: probs at least 6/7 inches on top of the 15 reported and still snowing.

And yeah, the dude tore his nugget pouch. ****. Luckily I don't he lost any parts just a puncture to the sack. ****'
Jock 07
AG
Don't venture into the trees all that often with my long ass skis but this will probably keep me out of them even more so.
MouthBQ98
AG
Trees have limbs and trunks, after all.

Had a great trip at Purg, power day 1, then groomers which is what I like most. Enjoyed my new skis, they match the type of Skiing I prefer pretty well. Got to practice my carving. I am a power rookie so day 1 was harder going.

I did clip a snow boarder that cut hard right across the run but no harm done, and had to take a dive coming into the base to avoid a kid that came flying in from uphill right in front of me. Again, no harm done. I'm not sure he ever knew he took me out with a big audience watching. All in all a great trip. Spectacular prices. Not crowded until Saturday. Barely ever had a lift wait more than a few minutes, if at all. And the ACL/meniscus surgery knee did great. I wore lifting wraps on my knees for a bit of extra support, and they felt good and supportive without affecting my agility.

Left it snowing this morning, looked like another 2-4 inches.
Pahdz
I ate it into the trees on the very first day on the first run down from the house before I even rode a lift or got my lift pass. Snowboarder looked back at me and saw me on his right approaching for the overtake and the clown just kept fading into my line. I had to bail out and ate it. Lovely way to start the day. I got up fired up cussing up a storm and I didn't realize he'd stopped to apologize and make sure I was alright.
Jock 07
AG
Snowboarders always seem like a common thread in these type of incidents.
Yesterday
AG
Skiing etiquette question for a somewhat newbie who's starting to go fast. I was under the impression that you are responsible for staying clear of people in front of you. What happens if I'm skiing pretty aggressively and make a hard turn(still heading downhill) and cut someone off? Who's at fault there?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
They crash? Their fault. They don't crash, just get upset and shake their first at you? No harm no foul. But if you're gonna treat beginners as slalom gates you damn sure better be in control and not hit one
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Hit up pajarito for the first time today. Pretty crowded, not sure if we'll go back [/sarcasm]

My end of season sale watch list includes: skis, some new pants, and possibly intuition liners for me, new helmets for me and the wife, roces idea boots for the 5 and 8 year olds, maybe new skis for the 8 year old (he's on 122s now), 8 year old will probably need new bibs too.

Anybody done or put their kids through the taos shredder program? Pretty sure we're gonna put all 3 through it next year
Yesterday
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

They crash? Their fault. They don't crash, just get upset and shake their first at you? No harm no foul. But if you're gonna treat beginners as slalom gates you damn sure better be in control and not hit one

This would be on blues. I'm always in control and give wide berths when coming into a slow or beginner area.
LRHF
AG
I'm still down in Chile fishing but looking forward to coming back to snow country! Have to brag on Melissa's kick ass brown today!

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Toads!
SockDePot
Pahdz said:

My buddy I'm out here at Whitefish with has now had two pairs of custom fitted boots that he cannot ski on without ridiculous pain. This definitely wasn't the smartest on his part but his second set he bought this winter in Minnesota he never skiied on before we came out here, and did two runs Friday before he went to the shop in the Village and had them try to rework them, which didn't really work.

He has ridiculously high arches and a very square toe frame. The fitter here told him he needs a three piece boot. He definitely needs something with a square toe box.

Any recs? He needs to just bite the bullet and go to Surefoot huh?

I have ridiculously high arches and a comically wide foot.

I think my biggest game changer was the guy putting shims under my heels. It got that soft part / edge of the arch right under your ankle up little bit from where the boot pinches down and made a huge difference.

I thought I was going to have to take them back to punch that part out, but skiing in them for a few hours I got used to it or they broke in.

How's whitefish? Did you hit the t bar this weekend? What run did you hit the trees on?
JustPanda
AG
Just git home. Hardest I've ever seen it snow consistent from Vail to Glenwood. It's as bad as I e ever driven in 38 years. Tomorrow is gonna be SICK!

I'm guessing we're at 2ft maybe 2 1/2 since yesterday. It's fn NUKING. 64 mikes of probs 30-65 mph winds and Star Wars light speed snow l.
JustPanda
AG
Short answer is you're responsible for your surroundings. When I was in SP I never followed the down hill skier rule because it's dumb and Karen's like to quote it as though it the Bible. It's not. If you park on a knuckle or cross under a landing etc that's on the downhill skier.

The key when you cut someone off is how it happened. If you push in front and then pinch them into the side that's on you. If you move into the middle and they chest side turn into you, that's on them because they had a whole lane cleared and should look before initiating that turn. It's not black and white and my overall advice would be not to run gates on greens or around beginners. Save that space for when you aren't around people that literally have no control. We do it. Yeah all the time, but we all legit skied gates and have a weird intuition for Jerry's and Karen's doing Jerry and Karen kinda *****

We call people that ski green/blues like a GS course but can't stay up on a non groomed decent style grade (I dont want to say blacks because that's feeding a monster I refuse to feed but basically a un groomed black) and use beginners as gates as King Dick. They usually run the open slope like a fn gs course because they really can't ride much else and it makes them feel big. It's one of our biggest pet peeves. The best part is they usually do it on skis that are shorter than what my 12 year old ride. I hate to be that person but if you're over 5'10 and riding less than a 170 ripping beginner groomers you're approach that dimension. You should never ever ever tuck a green or blue and honestly really never tuck ever. It doesn't give you any extra carry unless you're in a Lycra suit and have the technology to really push which would mean you probs wouldn't because you'd just carry through or bail before you need to tuck . Now, if you blow past me on a green with some stellar steez and some like 180+ and your 5'10 of shorter, get you some. Not even mad on that approach but yeah you know you have that steez without needing to put on a show on the bunny.

It's fn ripping here. Holy ***** I wish I could post a video. It's INSANE.
Tecolote
AG
Yesterday said:

Skiing etiquette question for a somewhat newbie who's starting to go fast. I was under the impression that you are responsible for staying clear of people in front of you. What happens if I'm skiing pretty aggressively and make a hard turn(still heading downhill) and cut someone off? Who's at fault there?
You are. You've stated "skiing aggressively" and "hard turn" - if you are following a fairly predictable line and then aggressively make a hard turn and cut someone off, you're at fault. You can't just cut aggressively into someone else's line and claim "I was still in front" - if you're going to make such a hard turn, you better look first to make sure the area is clear. Don't be a meathead dick.
JustPanda
AG
Facts on facts!
JustPanda
AG
I think the key is you should never really be skiing a green aggressively. That's not the place to find wings. Find somewhere without a diagonal beginner feed. I hate to put a rule out there, but most greens really should be a caution slow zone. That's like going 65 in a neighborhood. Yeah, you can, but someone's dog may jump out in front and it's hard to not be responsible for that accident when you're doing 2x the speed limit. That's kinda the best comparison I can make. Don't blaze past a church that's just bad karma.

Personal experience, there were times, I'd see people go HUGE off pumptracks on beginner slops. Sometimes, I didn't care because I could tell from how they rode that they were always in control and cleared the landing before they made the drop. Other times, I saw people go HUGE directly over a ski school group. That's NOT ok and they likely got their pass blacked out. It's all about safety and being in control. Part of being in control is understanding the skiers around you and respecting their space. There's always a next run so sometimes you just gotta eat it even when you aren't hungry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.