Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,918 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the bar down because then I get a footrest. I also love to look at the map even if I know where I'm going. Lifts with bars but no maps are lame.

However, if the rest don't want the bar down I would never insist.
HUEY04
AG
Bar down is such a pita because the foot rests are way too high so that my skis can't possibly sit on top of them (seem to be designed for midgets with <28" inseam legs) but low enough that my legs can't hang completely clear under them leaving me in a super awkward and uncomfortable position.
HUEY04
AG
Haha, so true. At Park City beginning of last month there were so many groups of Mexicans and Argentinians and they would inevitably try to cut in front, then glare when I rolled over their skis in front of them. All of them turned out to be good people when I joined from the singles line and started chatting with them though.
GarlandAg2012
AG
HUEY04 said:

Bar down is such a pita because the foot rests are way too high so that my skis can't possibly sit on top of them (seem to be designed for midgets with <28" inseam legs) but low enough that my legs can't hang completely clear under them leaving me in a super awkward and uncomfortable position.

I'm 6'4" and don't struggle with it. Operator error methinks.
jpb1999
AG
Bar discussion here is interesting. Never would have thought about no bar down. Love the foot rest also. It just feels good to take the weight off. I'm far from a midget and zero struggles. Weird…
HUEY04
AG
I'm just over 6' 4" and have never seen a bar I could get my skis on, no matter how I try to contort my legs, not even close. I would need at least another 3-4" between bar and footrest to make it work. Usually the bar is resting on the top of my thigh and the foot rest is above my boot pushing down uncomfortably
Jock 07
AG
I'm 6'8" and the only way the feet rest work for me is if I straddle the bar where it makes contact with the seat and use one rest for each ski. Gotta keep track of where my junk is at all times to make it work though.
MAS444
AG
Not as tall as some of you but far from a midget (6'1) and the bar fits my legs fine. I also like it to rest my out of shape ski legs. But not a big deal to me if others don't want to use it. Unless I'm with my kids.
Yesterday
AG
Always bar down. I don't benefit from it being up at all but I'm 5'11. I can understand if it makes you uncomfortable but why wouldn't you want that extra layer of protection?

That said I do ask if I'm by myself and so far no one has said no. If I'm with the kids I let everyone know the bar is coming down. It's pretty rare a single jumps on with us 3 though. They usually avoid the kid chat. Haha
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Most of our lifts don't have a bar. I wish they did because it makes me nervous with my kid.
Our summit lift is freaking crazy when it gets windy. Feels like a roller coaster.

rather be fishing
AG
Managed to hang my poles up getting off the chair so now I get to buy new ones. Oh well.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Jock 07 said:

How tied to flying into DIA are you? Direct flights into HDN from IAH with, what I would presume would be much smaller crowds at steamboat

Pretty locked in, unfortunately.
JustPanda
AG
What length? We have like 15 sets.
JustPanda
AG
Loveland or WP would be my picks if I'm trying to stay closer to Denver. If you're open to a couple hour drive, BC has the least crowds along the 70 corridor that time of year. Nice thing about Avon is you're only 15 minutes from Vail if you want to scratch that itch too.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

What length? We have like 15 sets.

120s
JustPanda
AG
I'll mail you a set or 2
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

I'll mail you a set or 2

That would be frickin sweet. Let me know what shipping is and I'll venmo you.
DBill
AG
Purg has been awesome the day and a half we have been here! Couldn't have asked for better conditions as the whole family is beginners with ski's. My kids have done a great job. My youngest who is 9 is pretty natural with it, but he's not really scared of much. My daughter who is 11, is a perfectionist wanted to get her turns right before going anywhere else but the magic carpet area. We are just letting them go their pace and are loving it.
JustPanda
AG
Soo just wondering: what do you guys use as your everyday goggles? Low light?

I've been going down the goggle rabbit hole recently and just thought I'd ask what everyone here uses. Just thought it might help some of the new skiers since that's an area that doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

I use the Smith Squad XL or Smith IO Mag XL. For both, my high light is the everyday green and low light are the storm rose flash and storm blue sensor mirror. I've had a lot better luck w the low lights lens along w the persimmon low light lens than w the standard yellow. Much better transitions across the various snow and cloud contrasts.
rather be fishing
AG
Best day of the season so far. Loved getting to hit the groomed blacks before anyone else touched them. Hopefully weather will cooperate and dump some more.
TheVarian
AG
Forgive me for this post:

I haven't been skiing much but for the beginners these have been great. And have magnetic attachments for different colored days.

https://a.co/d/cClLPn7
Jock 07
AG
I just upgraded to the mag 4Ds this year after ~10 year old I/O snap in lens goggles. The 50% smith discount certainly helps. I got the blue/green and then the rose low light lenses that they came with. After my last outing at Vail on a cloudy day, and especially in the back bowls, I think I might need to invest in an even lower light lens.
Oh also I love my vantage helmet as well.
HUEY04
AG
I ditched the 20 yr old Oakleys for my return to the mountains this year and upgraded to a Giro Contour with their "Vivid" lenses in Envy, Smoke, and Infrared. The greenish looking Envy lens worked great in very bright conditions the first day, switched to smoke lens the second day with wispy clouds and about half way through my third day, heavy clouds rolled in and I switched to the infrared low light and it made a HUGE difference in being able to see the bumps as snow conditions got worse through the afternoon. I was so glad I had multiple lenses after that trip
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Oakley flight decks with the highest transparency PRIZM lenses they make. I struggle to see the surface a lot in overcast or shadows if I go darker.
JustPanda
AG
I'd look at the Blue Sensor Mirror or the Storm Yellow Flash. The Blue Sensor Mirror is 60% VLT and the Storm Yellow Flash is 65% VLT. The Storm Rose is 50% VLT.

Besides the slight difference in VLT, the biggest difference is how each functions. The Sensor is mirrored lens filter that helps reduce the intensity of glaring light from reflections as well as tints to create contrast in flat lighting. The Flash is a lens layer that adds depth and contrast during stormier weather conditions.

This may be WAY to much info, but the way Smith CromaPop works is by combining 2 different lens to filter specific wavelengths that impact conditions in specific lighting conditions.

The Storm Rose Flash lens is a combo Rose on Blue Flash base

The Storm Yellow Flash lens is a combo Yellow on Blue Flash base

The Blue Sensor Mirror is a Blue Sensor on a Rose base.

I really like the Storm Rose for the days that storms are pushing in and it that weird mix of clouds and dark snow clouds w a little bit of sun still visible behind the clouds.

On the days that it's snowing or REALLY overcast (mornings where the storm rolled in that previous night or that morning), I go w the Blue Sensor or the Storm Yellow. I prefer the Blue Sensor because I prefer mirrored lenses, but both work VERY well.
rather be fishing
AG
I just got a new pair of Squad XL with the violet mirror lenses. I'm digging them so far.

Visibility is usually crap up here and the low light lens is a lot better than the yellows on my old Squads. The violet is a really great all around lense to me.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I/O Mag with the Chromapop Sun Black and the Storm Rose Flash.

I need to get the yellow or clear for night skiing though.
InfantryAg
AG
This thread keeps making me drop more money...

Actually not sad about it, more like excited.
jpb1999
AG
No love for the Glade Adapt 2s? Maybe the marketing got me but their value seems hard to beat especially for a one lense option for both bright and dark days…
JustPanda
AG
That's a great low-medium variation lens. Hella thanks for the reminder to put that bad boy in my boot bag. Gives you some really amazing depth of focus in flat/lower light but also has some coverage when things start to brighten up.

I like the Glade's overall. They are a solid one lens set especially at the price. I think what you'll find is as you nerd out harder into the goggles space, it becomes hard to not want to explore the other goggle color combos to find just the right lens for the conditions.

If I was coming out for a week or two, the Glades would be awesome because they are photochromic which gives you a range of VLT where the lens adapts to the lighting conditions on the fly. What that means is you usually sacrifice a little VLT on both ends of the spectrum (the lens may be a 20% VLT - 50% VLT). For a single lens, that's a solid amount of coverage across the spectrum. However, if you ski EVERYDAY or ALOT, there are the days you want to dip under 50% VLT or above 20% VLT. Those are the days it's nice to have another set of lenses.

Overall, I think you made a great choice. Glades are SOLID. Really good company, great product, and really solid price points.

It's like having an everyday rifle, a match grade, and a couple other calibers and grade barrels at the range or kinda like the ski equivalent of hand reloading. You don't NEED that many or that specialized of a round usually, but why not if you can

My favorite goggles brands in no specific order are Smith, Oakley, Glade, Zeal, POC, Anon, and Dragon. If you're on a single lens photochromic setup, it's probs worth it to explore out father on the VLT spectrum. If it was me and I wanted to explore expanding my goggle lens stash, I'd probs first look at pushing up in VLT vs. pushing down. The reason is that most of the factory sold photochromic lenses have a VLT range between 20%-50% VLT. It's really rare that you'll need more than a 20% VLT even on super sunny days. What you gain isn't going to noticeably better to most riders. However, you probs will find that where you really need more push is in the flat/low/storm lighting. That's where snagging an above 50% VLT lens will really pay dividends.

If you guys/gals ever have questions feel free to ask. I'm always happy to give you my 2c and my experience with whatever you find.

It all boils down to this: if you can't see well, you can't shred or stomp. It doesn't matter how sick of a sticks setup or kit you have, if your goggles aren't your teammate you're going to be suffering. Anti fog, photochromic, dual layered lenses etc all help to keep you on the mountain and keep you safe. I really can't stress that enough. SO many people buy great sticks, an amazing kit, a solid helmet, but slide on the goggles. That's like buying a Ferrari and driving it with a shattered windshield. You can't drive a Ferrari like a Ferrari with a shattered FOV.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks for info.

Just looked at specs of the adapt 2. Says 16-61%. If they actually do that I have no idea.
JustPanda
AG
Thats a SOLID range. Basically gives you almost full spectrum. For everyone else on the thread, if you're looking for a broad spectrum VLT single lens, that's the kinda range you want.

Curt Nichols, the founder of Glade, has a lot of industry experience and as an ex ski patrol captain, he worked with both Oakley and Smith etc and really understands how to combine functionality and quality at a more reasonable price point. Super nice dude. We're convinced we may be long lost kin folk.
jpb1999
AG
Can't wait to try them out. Heading to PS now and will be skiing Wolf Creek tomorrow.
InfantryAg
AG
JustPanda said:

Yup. Doesn't look like the made the XT3 Tour Pro's this year either.
I ended up at my local outdoor store, the only one with ski gear. They didn't carry lange, so I couldn't try on a pair. I did try on some atomics, one mondo size down (per your advice), and they felt fantastic. Like a snug glove, toes touching the ends.

I'm looking at 2023 model Hawx Prime XTDs. My question is 110 or 120 flex. I was a intermediate advanced skier a few years ago, but really getting back into it now. I would just go 110s, but the 120 is supposed to be better material and supposed to have a better liner. I also weigh 210 lbs.

Is it obvious which way I should go?

I hadn't checked my pro pricing, but these are around $300 so...
bmac_aggie18
AG
JP,

Got any good recs on ski socks?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.