Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,913 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crazy video - skier saves snowboarder who fell in a tree well. Happened last year but I didn't see it until recently.

GarlandAg2012
AG
wessimo said:

Crazy video - skier saves snowboarder who fell in a tree well. Happened last year but I didn't see it until recently.

gf was telling me about this video on the ski lift last weekend - wow. Her description was accurate but words really dont do it justice. Watching that was stressful!
JustPanda
AG
Doesn't have to be a tree well to drown in powder. When I was on SP, there were a couple of 50+ inch storm that we tried to have the mountain stay closed for this exact reason. You go over your toes and your feet are an anchor of death.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

Doesn't have to be a tree well to drown in powder. When I was on SP, there were a couple of 50+ inch storm that we tried to have the mountain stay closed for this exact reason. You go over your toes and your feet are an anchor of death.

That and talent is why I ski groomed blues!
RangerRick9211
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Ugh, I'm pack gang for sho. I never ski without it. West coast packs have some hairy side country (literally all of Baker, Heather Canyon at Meadows, Chair 6 at Crystal). I run an In-Reach, probe, shovel and beacon by default. Bladder and snacks. Gummy stone and multi-tool. Alternate goggle lenses + spare contacts. Sony RX-100 camera. Plus whatever **** my wife and daughter throw in there throughout the day.

I also have some bootpack / skin options in-bounds. So Voile strap and slap the skis on the pack as well.

I've even rocked my avy airbag on a lift before heading to Heather / Private Reserve on dump days. It's totally overkill, but I have one and I have a family - so whatever, I'll take the insurance.

I do the same for MTB/gravel/road cycling. I don't want anything in my pockets. It's all bar bag, top tube bag or saddle bag.

Bumping for Baker (again, it's most of Baker on a storm day!). Dude also died last year in Heather Canyon on Hood in a well. Every year it happens.

Things will compress a few days after a storm. But if you're around the evergreens on a big storm day, at a minimum line-of-sight with a partner or just stay out.
InfantryAg
AG
wessimo said:

Saw it last year on Zubers (the rescuer) youtube. Subscribed because righteous.

They've had beers together since this rescue.
JustPanda
AG
20+ MPH winds expected across the entire high country and western slope by 1pm today. It's a sideways consistent wind right now in GWS. Headed to Vail in 20 minutes.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Meeker has had 20-30mph winds since last night. I am working from home today. Go on the road at 4:30 like normal and made it a few miles from town and came back. It was unreal how bad the squall was. The plows are just now getting out. Stay off the roads in this area this morning if you can!
JustPanda
AG
Wind is def already ripping. 64 miles of this to work today. Easily a 30-40 mph crosswind. It's a WHITEOUT. Between Eagle and Edwards.

Edit to add: super wet too so hopefully it dries out. What's falling right now is rotten. Made it! Doubt 70 stays open much longer. Little hair on that one! Went 65 instead of 80 most of the way!

JustPanda
AG
Yeah I know NWS. I'm knee deep in it!

KCup17
AG
JustPanda said:

Just finished skiing it earlier this year since I have family in Los Alamos. It's a fun mountain but VERY RAW. I wouldn't plan a vacation around it, but if you're in the area and want to catch some runs, they have some solid blacks up around Breathless, Precious, Nother Mother, Sidewinder, etc

As mentioned above it's mostly T2B skiing so once you're on something, that what you're taking down. There aren't really any outs except East Road.

Overall, I love pajarito when it has snow. Some years it hasn't even opened. I'd honestly say I prefer it's layout to Breck or Keystone.

Just got back from Pajarito. Mountain was a blast. Not crowded felt very local. Easy to get up and down various lifts and runs. Only thing was that they were a little short staffed so not all lifts were open.

The area is beautiful too. My buddy had family that has a property in Los Alamos so we stayed there. Not much to do in town unless you want to drive to Santa Fe or Albuquerque. I will say, if you like history, seeing the house Oppenheimer lived in and going through the Bradbury museum was definitely a highlight to learn about all the history.

Overall a great experience even if I did manage to break my collar bone.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Sorry about your collar bone!
How is the snow holding up there? It was melting fast at sipapu this weekend, if they don't make a bunch of snow in this upcoming cold front (doesn't look like we're going to get any of the dump that is hitting co) I'm afraid their season isn't going to last much longer
Hearne_Ag
AG
I really enjoyed Ski Santa Fe, it was my first time skiing and where I learned to ski!
Jock 07
AG
JP, any updates on snow totals? Any chance the stuff in the forecast for the weekend and into next week turns into anything significant?
JustPanda
AG
I'll post one here soon. Vail got good snow today. Probs like 8-10 inches. Back bowls were closed for wind so tomorrow should be really nice. It was SUPER windy today.

Overall, the snow totals for the weekend don't look super impressive for the 70 corridor. Sunday looks like heaviest and more snow in the San Juan's and Sangres. Statewide sans Summit County might get 12-18 Sunday/Monday. Summit expecting like 8-10.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Haven't followed Colorado's snow totals for a season since this year but I'd Sumco always this far behind other parts of the state? Seems they get half of every decent storm that comes through
JustPanda
AG
Nope. El Niño.

Breck is at 92% of average
Keystone is 89% of average
BC is 105%
Vail is 105%
Wolf Creek is 76%
Telly is 83%
Purg is 82%

So it isn't just Summit. Vail and BC and SS are kinda the outliers this season. WC gets ALOT of snow. That's how they're still so far behind average even after catching several 30-40 inch drops.

JH got 15 and another 28 through Sunday. Headed up there Monday so should be nice. Hitting Vail Sunday.
MouthBQ98
AG
Had about 8 inches or so on Purg yesterday. It was fun but hard work on my narrow skis. Windy too, from certain directions. Would come howling in on the mountain top and up the valley where lifts 5 and 8 are. Sometimes the snow was a few gentle flakes, sometimes a blur of pellets.

My legs were so tired by the end of the day I actually fell over out of nowhere on this little green run on the last trip down the hill. They told me they needed some rest!

Today is blue skies. About to head back up there for day 2.
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer's report this morning said they had 7" at the village overnight and it's expected to be heavy snow throughout the rest of the day and into tomorrow.

We wrapped up our Kinder Kamp season, so I'll be up much less often through the end of the season, but this snow might get us through March.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Skiing tomorrow, Friday and Saturday at A-Basin
Hearne_Ag
AG
Will possibly be in Boulder next weekend March 7-10th.
Is Eldora a good ski spot? I have only skied once but have the hang of it pretty good, so not looking at anything fancy or expensive.
KCup17
AG
There wasn't much. A good 3 ft base is what they were telling me. But that was dwindling due to temps getting up into the 40's each day we were there. Hoping they get some more soon!
Jock 07
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Skiing tomorrow, Friday and Saturday at A-Basin

Hope you got yourself a spot on the beach, best part of the A-Basin experience in my opinion.
MouthBQ98
AG
Clear skies. Up on top at lift 8. Great scenery at Purg.
JustPanda
AG
It's a fun little spot.
HUEY04
AG
Great day at Telluride today!

JustPanda
AG
No idea how you guys ski without a face gaiter. I use 3 at a time
Yesterday
AG
Looks like he might have one rolled down. But I agree. My face freezes up real quick.
HUEY04
AG
I have one and always start with it up but quickly pull it down. It only goes back on at the end of a long chair lift ride
Pahdz
I'll be in Whitefish tomorrow evening for a 3 day stint on the mountain. Looks like there's gonna be some freshies for us!
JustPanda
AG
I have 2-3 gaiters and at least 1 bandana at a time. Sometime 3 gaiters and 2 bandanas…
Jock 07
AG
Ha, I only pull out the gaiter when the temps get down in the single digits or below or if it's super windy.
MouthBQ98
AG
Agreed. I always have a gaiter. I might pull it down a while here and there but the dry windburn and sunburn just aren't worth it to leave half your face exposed all day.
SockDePot
Pahdz said:

I'll be in Whitefish tomorrow evening for a 3 day stint on the mountain. Looks like there's gonna be some freshies for us!

I hit the t bar for the first time a few weeks ago, it is awesome over there with some powder early in the morning before everyone gets over there.
Jock 07
AG
Looks like I'm headed to Breck next week now, haven't been there in years. What's the best option for parking? Is it worth it to bite the bullet and pay for one of the closer lots or are the free options with shuttles, iirc, sufficient?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.