Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,919 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goodyear Duratrac on the Expedition and Wrangler on the Tacoma
rather be fishing
AG
Hankook Dynapro AT2on my Silverado. I've been pretty impressed with them this winter, although we have had a pretty crappy snow year. No issues getting up to the ski slope at all.
JustPanda
AG
Studded Artic Claw WXI on Jeep Trailhawk. I've tried to do donuts and it's damn near impossible.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I've got RAZR Mud Terrains on my Jeep Wrangler and it absolutely blows in the snow. Everyone always says that mud terrains suck in the snow and let me tell you after nearly sliding off the road last week at Shasta... they're right.

I'll probably be switching to KO2s when these wear out.
Pahdz
On my third set of KO2's on my Tundra here in MN. They do fine although this year we've not had a lick of snow to even be challenged.
LRHF
AG
Parking lots at Purg are icy! Saw a subi that slid while backing out and slid into the next car over. My truck won't move in the ice without 4 wd. The main roads are spotless but the parking lots are an absolute mess! Warm days for the next few days, mud season will be back

Saw a 2 wd ford Explorer get pulled out of the Nugget bar a few days ago!

Yesterday there were two major incidents at Purg. The first was a massive crash between two people that resulted in a skier breaking in half a tibia just above the boot. The 2nd incident was an older local fisherman that passed away while
Skiing. All signs point to a natural passing.

Be safe out there!

LRHF
Tecolote
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I've got RAZR Mud Terrains on my Jeep Wrangler and it absolutely blows in the snow. Everyone always says that mud terrains suck in the snow and let me tell you after nearly sliding off the road last week at Shasta... they're right.

I'll probably be switching to KO2s when these wear out.
Thing about the tires is that it is not always the tread patterns. Mud tires are assumed likely for warmer weather. So the rubber compounds at low temps are hard as a rock. Love northern Europe in winter when it is cold and they all use a winter tire that is super soft and has amazing grip in snow, ice, cold, etc. However, they are speed limited and also at higher temps unsuitable.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had a great day skiing Vail today a kick ass day at Breck yesterday. Essentially no lines. I think Poppy fields at Vail might be my second favorite run anywhere. Just turn em over and rip. I've got new boots this year which are making me a happy boy and demo'd a pair of Nordic a enforcer 94s that I might need to pick up at the end of season.
Jock 07
AG
I love poppy fields and pretty much all of china bowl as well. Especially when there's fresh snow on the ground. Unfortunately was pretty icy and bare this year when I went a couple weeks ago with warm weather and refreeze at night.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thr first run down was amazing. When I hit it again around 3 it was still fun but scraped off.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Poppy fields is by far the fastest I've ever gone on skis. Last year through the sag vertical curve coming from the east side where the the grade transitions from a pretty steep down grade to a short climb up I was fighting g's from my crouched position and losing. It was actively pushing me further down to the point I was about to drag ass going way faster than it would be comfortable to. Luckily the grade up slowed me down enough to where I was able to slowly push back up, but there was a few seconds when I didn't think I was gonna get out of it. Legs were on fire after that.
JustPanda
AG
Poppy fields is pretty flat honestly. Rasputins Revenge or Red Square or Bolshi are all WAY steeper. The Slot has some spots too. Overall, Vail is a pretty flat mountain.

If you want to FLY, go to BOP lift at BC or most anything at Telly. They have some RIPPERS.
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

Poppy fields is pretty flat honestly. Rasputins Revenge or Red Square or Bolshi are all WAY steeper. The Slot has some spots too. Overall, Vail is a pretty flat mountain.

If you want to FLY, go to BOP lift at BC or most anything at Telly. They have some RIPPERS.

Those are bunny hills to real skiers. Wanna go fast? Check out Puckered Sphincter or Organ Damage at PQRS.... they're so much steeper and faster. Everywhere you ski is Kansas compared to where I ski.

(No one likes a one upper)
ChipFTAC01
AG
JustPanda said:

l

Yeah, BOP is my favorite run anywhere.
JustPanda
AG
If you really want to go warp speed at Vail. The best place is when they groom Blue Ox. Usually Tuesdays. That's one where you can really get over your toes.
Yesterday
AG
Gonna check out BOP at BC in. Couple of weeks.
StockHorseAg
AG
I'm not saying it's the fastest run but Lower Valley View at Steamboat is a pretty damn fun place to go fast. You can go down that run feeling like damn Bode Miller at Vancouver in front of the people riding up the Gondola.
Jock 07
AG
I think it was Rosie's run that was a good one at copper for opening up the throttle to get your speeds up on your tracker. Haven't been back there in quite some time though.
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

If you really want to go warp speed at Vail. The best place is when they groom Blue Ox. Usually Tuesdays. That's one where you can really get over your toes.

Ha, hit that a couple weeks ago when I was up there. I was thinking about how bad ass it would be with good snow.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Dumping at Breck today
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Poppy fields is by far the fastest I've ever gone on skis. Last year through the sag vertical curve coming from the east side where the the grade transitions from a pretty steep down grade to a short climb up I was fighting g's from my crouched position and losing. It was actively pushing me further down to the point I was about to drag ass going way faster than it would be comfortable to. Luckily the grade up slowed me down enough to where I was able to slowly push back up, but there was a few seconds when I didn't think I was gonna get out of it. Legs were on fire after that.

Now that I think about it this may have happened on Chopstix.
JustPanda
AG
Probs took West Poppyfields and then dropped under Dragons Teeth. That little interchange has some steepness and then levels off once you reenter the true West Poppyfields. Super easy to do because that's the natural line when you pass over Dragons Teeth and then immediately drop in straight and slowly veer to the right (that's basically lower dragons teeth but not really marked). It's pretty steep and forms a little kinda natural half pipe that drops in before pulling back left where it connects back. It's a fun line. So yeah that's probs hella accurate if it was a packed powder day. My bad.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
You may be right. Whatever run it was, it was groomed, and while it wasn't super steep relative to some other stuff, it was pretty damn steep for a groomer. I remember thinking I'd never seen a run that steep with corduroy. And it was so smooth there wasn't a need to do anything but point your skis downhill, so by the end of it I was moving pretty good.
rather be fishing
AG
JP or others, what do you recommend for kids gloves or mitts (probably mitts)?

Need something that's at least 20,000mm but not going to be Hestra pricing because odds are one or both will get lost.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rather be fishing said:

JP or others, what do you recommend for kids gloves or mitts (probably mitts)?

Need something that's at least 20,000mm but not going to be Hestra pricing because odds are one or both will get lost.

Mitts for sure. Much easier to get on and off.

We've got some Gordini ones that are pretty nice and hold up nicely in the sometime rainy conditions we get here.

https://gordini.com/products/easy-on-mitt

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Finally got my new skis! QST 106 with Salomon Strive bindings.

Lots of snow in the forecast here so should be a good weekend to try 'em out.

InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Finally got my new skis! QST 106 with Salomon Strive bindings.
Any good deals on these?

My next purchase, all mountain skis that I can do some back country.

Panda, any suggestions? My pro acct is not giving me any love on salomons (or really any skis).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
JP had a screaming deal but I got impatient and wanted to get them now since the snow is coming. Got them from my local ski shop, which is always nice to support.
JustPanda
AG
Amer Sports is where you get Salomon deals. Let me check for you

I can get Look, Rossi, Armada, Atomic, Salomon, Arc'T, etc
oldag941
AG
We drove up and back to Steamboat last year at Spring break. Doing again this year. I bought the tire chain (plastic) things. Didn't use them. Did lose my backend for a sec on Rabbit Ears Pass but was probably just going too fast. Just take it slow. Other than the pass (and usually even it), they know they need people to get to the resort and leave. Make money. So they take care of roads well.
InfantryAg
AG
JustPanda said:

Amer Sports is where you get Salomon deals. Let me check for you

I can get Look, Rossi, Armada, Atomic, Salomon, Arc'T, etc
I have an AmerSports acct. Discount on Armada stuff, but Salomon only gives me the pro price on shoes etc. I guess there's different types of pro accts.

I'm open to any good all mountain ski. I'm gonna mount shift or marker duke binding and use as my primary on piste and some backcountry ski.

My future purchase will be powder/ back country skis and pin bindings (I believe you recommended the radicals which are on sale on prolink, so I'm ordering these today).
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

JP had a screaming deal but I got impatient and wanted to get them now since the snow is coming. Got them from my local ski shop, which is always nice to support.
Nice to support, but my shop is pretty bad. Sales people (obvious some don't ski); Away from the mountain.

I'll probably check at the shop in Mt Shasta (the town) or may just come up to Ashland to get some footbeds made and any work on my new boots done.
JustPanda
AG
Which set did you want me to price?
InfantryAg
AG
JustPanda said:

Which set did you want me to price?
I don't know. I will do some research but welcome your expertise.

6', 210lbs, like to carve/ cut through trees. Any suggestions?
Jock 07
AG
Here's what I got right at a year ago. The exchange rate + free shipping + no tax really makes shopping here a really good deal.

https://www.corbetts.com/2024-volkl-katana-108-skis/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.