Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,907 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Telluride for thanksgiving and spring break.
Yesterday
AG
How is Telluride compared to Park City and Vail? I've heard it's the primo mountain.
MAS444
AG
I can only compare to Vail. It's not a small mountain but smaller and WAY less crowded than Vail. Much more chill and quaint town than Vail.
h1ag
AG
I've had lessons at Taos and Angel fire. My second day on skis was actually at AF. I enjoyed my instructor. Flexible enough to tailor my lesson to what I felt comfortable with, but also on lesson enough to drill in the fundamentals. That said, it was definitely younger folks doing a season or two abroad.

Taos is known for a world class ski school, especially their weeklong ski school programs. These are folks who know every nook and cranny of the mountain and how to use it to teach the concepts and build comfort. Taos is their mountain, and they are professionals.

I've always heard that Taos is best in the state for beginners and experts with maybe a little less to offer for the intermediate skiier. If yall have some intermediate level folks who want to enjoy the hill but not necessarily take lessons or really push themselves too much, I'd look at AF, but also Red River, and Sipapu, if you want options to bounce around to keep it interesting.

Just my experience, so mileage may vary. NM in general has some underappreciated hills and resorts IMO, but is a lot more vulnerable to lean winters, so track that more closely.
Pahdz
Most skiing for me will be done at my local hill Welch Village, MN (ski 300' vert baby!)

Will try to get up to Lutsen on the north shore of Lake Superior at least once.

As for out west, my wife wants to go to either Lake Louise or Banff Sunshine, but problem is spring break up here in Minnetonka, MN is freaking April 1-5, not sure what conditions will be worth spending a fortune to get to that time of year. Possibly some good deals could be had.
FincAg
AG
Loveland and Eldora
Dec 28 - Jan 9
Put some whiskey in your water, sugar in your tea.
Pignorant
AG
Whitefish, MT in February, but will try to do another in January.
JustPanda
AG
I prefer Snowmass or Highlands to Telluride and Steamboat. Snowmass and Telluride have far fewer people than Vail or Park City. I'd say Snowmass/Highlands probs has fewer than Telly. That's what a $3,200 season pass will do.

For the larger Colorado resorts I'd rate them somewhere in or around this order:

Snowmass/Highlands
Telluride
Vail (only because of the back bowls - not the vert)
Steamboat/BC/WP/Copper
Keystone
Breck
East Dallas Ag
AG
If things go to plan, purchase '24/25 Snow King (Jackson WY) season passes in early March '24, that if like last year, will be good through end of spring '24 season and will use it for Spring Break '24. With that will come 3 reciprocal days at Angel Fire and Red River and will use those in late '24/early '25, then back to Snow King for Spring Break '25 on the same season pass. 1 season pass 2 Spring Breaks plus reciprocal tickets at our favorite NM towns, Angel Fire & RR.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Mom lives in Breck so plan on using that as much as possible
JustPanda
AG
I haven't been back into the office. I'll get the price when I go in tomorrow or Monday.

If anyone needs ski or camping or hunting gear: Smith, Spy, Mammut, Garmin, Oakley, Browning, Scent-Lok, Swany, 686, Mountain Hardware, etc. I have an ExpertVoice account and get 30-70% off.

For Example: Swany X-Cell 2.1 Mittens/Gloves - Retail $170, ExpertVoice $102.

Smith I/O Mag: $210 Retail $149 ExpertVoice

Spy Marauder: $180 Retail $90 ExpertVoice
MAS444
AG
Just curious...why do you dislike Breck so much? I haven't been there in a long time and am not necessarily disagreeing - again, just curious.
JustPanda
AG
It's overcrowded: longest lift lines in CO. 15-45+ minutes isn't unusual. Once you get on the lift, you may stop 2-3-4 times before getting to the top. Thats not productive if you're trying to shred. It's cold and windy. It gets more snow than other places but it also drifts and crusts harder than anywhere too. Breck may report 10 inches and across most of the hill maybe 3 stuck and the rest drifted and polished.

For the classifications, the runs are generally flatter and shorter than most ski areas and has more uphill capacity for each skiable acre than any of the other resorts. This results in the snow being scraped off faster and the runs getting "polished" (another term for icy) Again, since Breck is on the East side of the Ten Mile Range, its almost always colder and windier than other areas except Loveland and A Basin. And finally the trails intersect in what is called "diagonals of death" where beginner and expert skiers and riders merge going in different directions which is a very dangerous situation.

And most of the trees are trash and its base is 9,600 so you gas faster. Overall there's just way better snow all around the area. Copper is a great hill but most of my Sumco friends much prefer to ski not in Summit and if so, Copper or Keystone way before Breck. Breck is sorta a mountain of last resorts.
MAS444
AG
Appreciate the input.
John Cocktolstoy
Used to ski Wolf Creek back in the late 80's early 90's. Had lot's of fun with pretty cheap cost. Went about 6 years ago and didn't like it as much. It is so crowded even on weekdays. Getting the family up and ready to ski early is tough, but I skied alone most of the time and the first 30 minutes was bliss then it turns into disorganization. I'm sure staffing is hard to keep up with but man that place could be so so much better.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
MAS444
AG
Who here goes to Crested Butte? It was one of the first places I skied as a kid but haven't been back since. I've got several friends that go there frequently and we might be able to get there pretty easily in the coming years. Just curious how yall think it stacks up to the others, especially Tride...
John Cocktolstoy
Love both, but like the town of Telluride better. Not sure where your leaving from or if your flying but CB is a drive!

Did a bunch of nightlife stuff when we were at CB and it was fun but pricey, Sleigh ride out into the woods and a cowboy cooked steak and potatoes in a tent was a great addition to the week but stay away from ice skating in Gunnison...it is so freaking cold in that hole in the ground.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
We have a house in Summit County. I disagree with a lot of the posted. Breck is definitely over crowded during the weekends and Holidays. I don't ski the part of the mountain with crowds or green slopes so I rarely notice it except at the base. Snow is typically very good. It can get windy on parts of the mountain., Breck wind and cold doesn't bother me. Feels like the beach compared to Banff. We ski Keystone on the weekend and Breck during the week. Keystone is steeper and less crowded.

My favorite Colorado resort is Steamboat though. If I were choosing, I'd go Jackson Hole or Whistler.
wessimo
AG
Lake Louise & Sunshine Village (Banff) next March.
John Cocktolstoy
JeremiahJohnson said:

We have a house in Summit County. I disagree with a lot of the posted. Breck is definitely over crowded during the weekends and Holidays. I don't ski the part of the mountain with crowds or green slopes so I rarely notice it except at the base. Snow is typically very good. It can get windy on parts of the mountain., Breck wind and cold doesn't bother me. Feels like the beach compared to Banff. We ski Keystone on the weekend and Breck during the week. Keystone is steeper and less crowded.

My favorite Colorado resort is Steamboat though. If I were choosing, I'd go Jackson Hole or Whistler.
Jackson gets harder and harder to find the stashes of untracked snow. Having not been in a long time but hearing how it is so packed I imagine it is getting worse. I still have lot's of friends there but it is an area that maybe only my daughter could ski with me. The rest of my family could not handle it......This is my life now, can't think of only myself.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Interesting. It is more difficult than a few mountains. But I've never had an issue with it being packed or tracked snow. I never go during busy times though. I hate crowds. It is getting overpriced.
mrad85
AG
chet98 said:

Curious about Angel Fire. We went to Taos for spring break last year with my brand new teenaged skier. Their lesson area was really good. May do that again and get him a private lesson but also thinking about Angel Fire. Any experience with Taos by any chance and if so can you compare Angel Fire pros & cons to Taos?

Taos skiing is superior IMO, but it's a pain being so removed from town. The cost of Taos is more as well. Years ago, with my kids, we would ski Taos and on the way out, hit AF for the day. At my age with the grandkids, I basically try to keep up and make sure they don't kill themselves or me. My crazy days are over.

We stay about 100 ft from the lifts and ski school @AF, so it makes everything easier. My grandkids we are taking are 3, 8, and 10. We went last year @Spring Break with them and to my surprise, the 2 oldest loved ski school and asked to do it again this trip.

Customer Service at Angel Fire is A+. You won't find nicer people by phone or in person.

When the kids get older, I'm sure their wants will require a better mountain, but for beginner skiers, I'm happy with the cost, quality, and location.

JustPanda
AG
CB is killer! It's empty has GREAT grade and some fantastic mix aspen and pine trees runs. Some of the best snow in CO especially when you factor the lack of crowds. You can find stashes 2 weeks after a good storm.
JustPanda
AG
Fly into Montrose and it's 2:00 away. On weekends it's WAY easier to get into and out of CB from Montrose than Summit from DIA.
JustPanda
AG
It's nothing compared to the front range CO mountains. It's busier than it was 20 years ago but that's every hill. It still carries a pretty light uphill for the size.

If you think JH is crowed you should hit up Grand T. Less people and similar jibs.
RangerRick9211
AG
The summer has been brutal on the glaciers in the PNW. I was able to keep the streak going in September on Hayden and Palmer glaciers, but it was not fun. We're starting to roll in some systems, though!

This season:
  • We're pass holders at Mt. Hood Meadows; lots of fam time on Cooper Spur
  • We spend NYE week at Bachelor
  • Goals: Some time on Crystal and Baker; trying to coordinate a Whistler trip with some folks
  • Backcountry: So stoked, I've got a hut booked in the Wallowas; will be spending more nights on Hood and ticking off more routes ( https://caltopo.com/m/LF7E )!

4 year old (to be 5 at season) will be on her second season with a full pass. I'm excited to see her develop. She's been asking daily to go ski when we check on the web cams. Her excitement is so fun!
rak1693
AG
Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but isn't it easier to get to CB by flying into Gunnison County Airport? That's what we did last time I went. It's been a few years but it was a breeze to get in and out of.
JustPanda
AG
1000% Montrose is the closest "large" airport.
JustPanda
AG
If anyone would like to come up to Beaver Creek this spring, we're trying to put together a Texags Ski Trip. We have a place up there and I can get skis/boards from my company. You'd just need a plane ticket and a way to get to the house. Thinking the last week of January or first week of February. No masks required

I also have it Nov 5th - 12th. Keystone will be open (Mid October) and Breck/Vail tentatively open 11/10.

Just LMK!

Email is JustJHavens @ gmail.com
maroon10
AG
Steamboat 1/31. Snowboarding with our 8 year old and the little two will do ski school. Favorite place.
rak1693
AG
JustPanda said:

1000% Montrose is the closest "large" airport.

Yes, I was just saying that GUC is big enough that it handles direct flights from Houston on United. AA flies in there too direct from Dallas. JSX also flies direct from Love Field
John Cocktolstoy
JustPanda said:

It's nothing compared to the front range CO mountains. It's busier than it was 20 years ago but that's every hill. It still carries a pretty light uphill for the size.

If you think JH is crowed you should hit up Grand T. Less people and similar jibs.
Oh yes, skied GT a bunch too, lots of time in Driggs and I'm glad camera phones were not around as much!
JH was our sister mountain so I skied for free there, that's why I was there so much.
docb
AG
https://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/
Another option in Steamboat that some may not know about. Great way to get away and enjoy some powder.
maroonblood90
AG
We've been to Wolf Creek the last couple of years and loved it. Headed to Purgatory for the first time this year. Anything specific about Purgatory we should know?
clinte234
AG
Will you have kids skiing with you at Purgatory? Kids 12 and under ski free, but it's a little bit of a pain to get their passes the first time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.