Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,882 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HUEY04 said:

Did you end up with custom liners, if so which ones? I'm looking at picking up some and have been eyeying the Zipfit Freeride since I'm in a 30.5 High Volume boot.
Also curious since you went from a 31 to 29 what size shoe you typically wear? That Salomon is a pretty low volume last and going down 2 sizes into a smaller last seems like a lot

Kept the liners the boots came with which I thought were pretty solid. I did get custom footbeds though.
Upon further review I think they were actually 30.5. I typically wear 15s and sometimes 14 depending on the shoes. I had a fair amount of slop in my old boots but now I'm locked in with absolutely no movement now.
HUEY04
AG
I keep questioning whether I should have gone down to a 29.5, I'm also typically a 14 or sometimes 15 depending on the shoe, usually up-sizing because I need more width. In Lucchese boots for instance I wear a 14EEE and it's pretty darn snug. With my foot in the empty boot shell I have ~1cm of room in the heel with my foot pushed forward which is why I'm hoping the Zipfits and insoles will lock in my heel at the back of the boot in case there is extra room.
Jock 07
AG
I see, I should've mentioned that I have pretty narrow feet as well.
HUEY04
AG
Yeah, that's what I've heard. Don't pull up hard on the tongue before lacing and just get used to sliding the whole thing in and out. I've tried it with the stock liners and it isn't hard. Also, I figure if there is a rough spot or ridge that it snags on I can always tape over to smooth that out.
Jock 07
AG
Have been getting some snow here today and over the evening and supposed to continue in the morning. Wish y'all were getting it up in the mountains instead of here.
East Dallas Ag
AG
N. New Mexico finally getting a good dumping, fun to watch on the Angel Fire and RR webcams, just in time for AF's opening weekend. Hopefully it survives the stretch of warm temps coming.
Tecolote
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

N. New Mexico finally getting a good dumping, fun to watch on the Angel Fire and RR webcams, just in time for AF's opening weekend. Hopefully it survives the stretch of warm temps coming.
Still have a long long way to go to build a decent base.
RangerRick9211
AG
HUEY04 said:

I keep questioning whether I should have gone down to a 29.5, I'm also typically a 14 or sometimes 15 depending on the shoe, usually up-sizing because I need more width. In Lucchese boots for instance I wear a 14EEE and it's pretty darn snug. With my foot in the empty boot shell I have ~1cm of room in the heel with my foot pushed forward which is why I'm hoping the Zipfits and insoles will lock in my heel at the back of the boot in case there is extra room.
Zips have the injectible cork to help firm up the fit / pressure points.

I have both Intuition and Zips across a few boots. All DIY on molding and fit.
victory
AG
Suggestions on app for road conditions? Leaving for Wolf Creek next week and starting to plan. Found COtrip Planner but the more I use it, its not so great. Thanks
MAS444
AG
I think CO Trip planner is great! You have to enable all the right layers though.
victory
AG
were you able to create actually create a trip planner?
JustPanda
AG
I just look at the layer that shows the road conditions - icy, wet, snow packed, etc and then spy the cameras to make sure they agree. Never done an actual trip on it but the cameras and data are updated in almost real time.

CDOTs twitter account is a good one to follow too
LRHF
AG
11 inches at Purg, super heavy wet snow.
MAS444
AG
Telluride had 9 - 11 in last 24 hrs which was a big surprise.
HUEY04
AG
Just saw that! Keep it coming, need a good solid base and everything open before I get there in Feb!

Anyone have a forecast for Park City, UT? I'm heading up there on the 31st and really hoping they have more open by then or I may have to call an audible and buy a walk-up pass somewhere else nearby.
TXAG 05
AG
HUEY04 said:

Just saw that! Keep it coming, need a good solid base and everything open before I get there in Feb!

Anyone have a forecast for Park City, UT? I'm heading up there on the 31st and really hoping they have more open by then or I may have to call an audible and buy a walk-up pass somewhere else nearby.

Will be in Park City second week of January, interested in any tips/places to eat etc.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

We're headed back to Texas to visit family for a week. Hoping to come back to some snow but it doesn't look like it.

I don't really expect to ski Ashland until after Christmas or the new year even. I was planning on taking off the week between Christmas and new years but might work to save for some ski days in Jan.

Speaking of which, have you been to Hoodoo or Willy P? Got a trip out towards Eugene in January and was thinking of stopping by. My Ashland pass gets me 4 free days at Hoodoo.
We're the inverse. We're not going back to TX this year, but a constant migration of DFW/HTX folks through our house looking to ski and it's sucked. Safe travels!

I've skied Hoodoo on the way to Bend twice. I love it. It's just easier to go Bach from Bend/Sunriver. There's a cool place in Sisters called Suttle Lodge, but we haven't stayed yet. But it would be a good place to launch into Hoodoo. When we get our Sprinter and can park in their overnight lots / Deschutes disperse, I'd like to ski it more!

Willy P looks fun. We got some half-day passess at Snowvanna there this year. I've never been! Post a report if you do go! I'm big into MTB and Oakridge is one of the big OR destinations and right next to Willamette Pass. I've been once, but never went further up the pass to the ski hill.

We haven't been back since before my second daughter was born, over 18 months ago, so we had to make the rounds and visit some family!

Very cool about the Sprinter. Lots of our ski resorts in the PNW support camping at the resort. We're in between an off road teardrop and a van. Van would be pretty sweet.

I'll look into Suttle Lodge. We're staying a night in Eugene to take my oldest to see the live Bluey show and then thinking we'll head to Sisters for a few nights after that.

I like the small mountain resorts and like visiting them so I'd like to swing by Willy P sometime and check it out. Have heard really good things.
dave99ag
AG
There is not much snow in Park City. We were there last week and only Payday was open at PCMR. There's a bit more open in Canyons. There's a water main issue at PCMR and they're not making much snow. Canyons is able to. Hopefully they get more in the next few weeks. Doesn't look great though.
JustPanda
AG
New GFS not showing nearly as much as the earlier runs. This is in cm not inches through 12/30.

RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

We're headed back to Texas to visit family for a week. Hoping to come back to some snow but it doesn't look like it.

I don't really expect to ski Ashland until after Christmas or the new year even. I was planning on taking off the week between Christmas and new years but might work to save for some ski days in Jan.

Speaking of which, have you been to Hoodoo or Willy P? Got a trip out towards Eugene in January and was thinking of stopping by. My Ashland pass gets me 4 free days at Hoodoo.
We're the inverse. We're not going back to TX this year, but a constant migration of DFW/HTX folks through our house looking to ski and it's sucked. Safe travels!

I've skied Hoodoo on the way to Bend twice. I love it. It's just easier to go Bach from Bend/Sunriver. There's a cool place in Sisters called Suttle Lodge, but we haven't stayed yet. But it would be a good place to launch into Hoodoo. When we get our Sprinter and can park in their overnight lots / Deschutes disperse, I'd like to ski it more!

Willy P looks fun. We got some half-day passess at Snowvanna there this year. I've never been! Post a report if you do go! I'm big into MTB and Oakridge is one of the big OR destinations and right next to Willamette Pass. I've been once, but never went further up the pass to the ski hill.

We haven't been back since before my second daughter was born, over 18 months ago, so we had to make the rounds and visit some family!

Very cool about the Sprinter. Lots of our ski resorts in the PNW support camping at the resort. We're in between an off road teardrop and a van. Van would be pretty sweet.

I'll look into Suttle Lodge. We're staying a night in Eugene to take my oldest to see the live Bluey show and then thinking we'll head to Sisters for a few nights after that.

I like the small mountain resorts and like visiting them so I'd like to swing by Willy P sometime and check it out. Have heard really good things.

Legit might see you in Eugene for Bluey live. We were just looking at that vs. the train to Seattle for it.

Safe travels back to the land of legit BBQ and queso! Hope snow greets you back home.

I think we back-and-forthed on the auto board overland thread. From roof-top tent in sno parks to a van will be a welcome change. Destination numero uno is in your hood to skin Crater and cat ski Bailey ( https://www.catskimtbailey.com/ ).
JustPanda
AG
New forecast looking even worse for CO… Ay ay ay. Starting to feel like the system moving in around Christmas may not bring much of a bang. Now not even southwest/southern Colorado are expected to catch much at all. This run is through NYE.

JustPanda
AG
Their forecast looks almost as bad as CO.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well that's depressing. Well be in Canyons and hope it's not too bad
dave99ag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Well that's depressing. Well be in Canyons and hope it's not too bad
Canyons has more open and is at least making snow. We hung out in High Meadow because we had the kids with us. The biggest issue is the crowds and limited lifts open. We started early, but it was a bit of a sh*tshow by lunch.

It's the opposite of last year, where there was a lot in the early season and it just kept snowing and snowing. Our friends were absolutely sick of it by late April.
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer got their new bunny slope quad lift open but it's rough as hell right now. Barely any snow on it. Took my lunch break to make a couple runs and they were airlifting someone out of the parking lot. Hopefully nothing too serious.

The additional lift is a big improvement. Just need to get more snow up top.
JustPanda
AG
Brecks base is down to 22 inches with above freezing daily high temps expected through Tuesday and only 2 inches expected over the next 10. Still only 26% open. Yikes.
Hoyt Ag
AG
No Sh*t. I live in NW CO and at Thanksgiving last year we had 2 foot on the ground. I took 2 different trips to the tropics to escape that brutality. We didnt really escape the snow until Memorial Day.

This year, very little on the ground but some on the peaks. High of 43 today so we are going fishing.
RangerRick9211
AG
Bach is 50% open. Coverage is weak, but snow is sugar.

JustPanda
AG
Just drove back from Denver today and it's as bare on the passes as I've ever seen for this time in December. Copper Mountain looked like a minefield with really really old dust covered refreeze. Not only is this crushing ski season, but this summer's rafting season might be a total wash too.
LRHF
AG
Sounds like a snowstorm could be in the works for the San Juan Mtns around Christmas. Plan accordingly!
JustPanda
AG
Brecks down to a 21 in h base.
Jock 07
AG
That's brutal. Seeing reports there might be a storm right around Christmas?
JustPanda
AG
What we're seeing and hearing is that it'll be a pretty divided snowfall. San Juans and Sangres and Steamboat will catch probs 6-10 inches and then there's a better storm that looks to hit around the 27/28 that will probs produce more but not the numbers we need.

Looks like Snowmass/Vail/BC will probs pickup 6-8 but Summit still looks drier. Only forecasting 4/5 and some gnarly winds so what hits is gonna blow out.
h1ag
AG
5" of rain in Northern New England has most resorts closed today. Access roads to a few mountains were washed away, with the biggest being Sunday River in ME. It sucks after such a solid early season, but it looks like we're back to the white ribbon of death until after Christmas.

Too much rain for skiing, too much rain for fly fishing. Guess I'll just be a shut for the rest of the year.
JustPanda
AG
Im at Breck right now for work and it's pretty gnarly. 34 bright sun and really cooked snow. 30% open 21 inch base. 6 expected over the next 10. Saturday / Sunday of this week. Then it gets cold cold cold.

Vail/BC/Snowmass - 8 inches expected over 5
Wolf Creek - 16 expected over 5

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.