Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,888 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MAS444 said:

What does TT mean?
twin tip - curved up on the front and back end. Partial means less pronounced curved on back end.
h1ag
AG
Very common in park skis where people are just as likely to be going forward or backward.
JustPanda
AG
I 100% disagree with on most all of that. Technology has increased light years and that's what's made the transition to the new style of skis far easier and safer but that's just my opinion.

I do agree that 93 is a good all mountain underfoot. If I only had 1 set of skis though, I'd probs go with something 97ish because it gives me a lot more top end float if I need it but anything 88-93 will be a solid pick. Anything 93-99 is going to give you a better mid to deep powder grade if the ski shapes are equivalent.

One of the reasons that snowboarding popularity has plateaud is because over the last 10 years skis have essentially stolen all of the technology that made snowboarding great that ski purists refused to changed, and the results were insane. The rocker camber combos the sidecuts all of it have really revolutionized skis. Better lighter and stronger materialized combined w a change in paradigms really opened up skiing to all sorts of niche spaces.
JustPanda
AG
Twin tips aren't just for park. They are for powder too or anytime you want to shorten the effective edge of the ski.
h1ag
AG
See you mention 97s at least in part to float better in deeper powder. This advice was given to the guy wanting an intermediate ski to hit groomers. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Bottom line: I'd bet that they would have more fun more easily on a narrower ski. I've tried bigger skis in various conditions and have read up quite a bit on ski construction, and I stand by recommendation.

Edit to hopefully be helpful: people like different skis for all sorts of different reasons. If you have the opportunity to demo on mountain, try out a range of widths to see what feels best. You can even demo a few models with similar waists to really dial in on what feels best to you. You can see for yourself the difference between skis with/out titanal, carbon fiber, etc.
txaggie02
AG
We are headed to Winter Park in about 6 weeks. Reports look as though the snow level isn't too bad right now, but it should get better over the next several weeks, I believe.
JustPanda
AG
I'll just let you answer the question for him. Sorry for working in the field. I'm keep my 2 cents tucked in my pocket.

You realize there are a lot of days you aren't on a hard packed groomer or even if it's groomed it's picking up refills. I know you ski a lot which is what baffles me at these comments. Groomers can have powder too. It's called snowing after they finish the night run and before the next nights. Mind Blowing I know….

Your all mountains are 70s and you aren't Ski East. That's all I need to know.

Edited to not be mean. Mean isn't cool.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah. I'll be there tomorrow to pickup some gear.

They need snow but it's a lot better than the last couple of weeks from the reports.

What I've seen is that the groomers are ok but there are still spots.

Where you REALLY want to avoid is ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING moguls. There just isn't the snow to cover and EVEN with the new snow it's really really bare in the wells. The caps are covered and the entry looks good and then the well is a rock. If it's a mogul field at all, play it safe and don't drop it. If you drop in you're committed and the coverage was my ass bad.

Stay on the groomers or venture out where it's not all turned over but avoid anything well led out because the well is ground down to the base.
txaggie02
AG
JustPanda said:

Where you REALLY want to avoid is ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING moguls.
I do that even when there is a 95" base.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, I'm not great at moguls and typically avoid them unless it's super cold out and I want to warm up.
docb
AG
Once you can ski moguls efficiently then you have become a good skier IMO. If you ever end up in Steamboat Nelson Carmichael offers a free moguls clinic to give some tips on how to ski them. It's amazing watching him go down them but he is a professional skier.
RangerRick9211
AG
My groomer/crud/carving/tree, essentially daily driver, ski is 105 under foot. I'm probably a bit too wide, but it's my quiver killer ski (I run shifts, so it's also my backcountry ski).

Dedicated corduroy and bump ski, I think I'm skiing 85-95.
RangerRick9211
AG
docb said:

Once you can ski moguls efficiently then you have become a good skier IMO. If you ever end up in Steamboat Nelson Carmichael offers a free moguls clinic to give some tips on how to ski them. It's amazing watching him go down them but he is a professional skier.
Every now and then I get smoked by a tele guy on the bumps. Simply a level of skiing I'll never achieve.
docb
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

docb said:

Every now and then I get smoked by a tele guy on the bumps. Simply a level of skiing I'll never achieve.
I will never achieve it either. I am 53 years old and my skiing trajectory has already peaked and his headed in the wrong direction. I am just happy to still be skiing the double blacks some. I did not go skiing for the first time until I was in high school so I was never going to be great. It is amazing to me how good my son is but he's been skiing since he was very small and is 16 now. Crazy what a difference it makes for a kid who is able to log a lot of time on the mountain. I've always been the guy who would much rather go fly fishing than skiing.
h1ag
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

My groomer/crud/carving/tree, essentially daily driver, ski is 105 under foot. I'm probably a bit too wide, but it's my quiver killer ski (I run shifts, so it's also my backcountry ski).

Dedicated corduroy and bump ski, I think I'm skiing 85-95.

Nice. I've been toying with the idea of a touring setup. A lot of my friends have been getting into it the past few years but our backcountry season is short enough I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. I'm kind of intrigued by the renoun citadel 106 but then there are tech bindings, new boots, etc.. A lot of life changes going on right now have led to a smaller toy fund than I'd like. lol.

And I should say that I've seen people make wide skis work as daily drivers. If it works for how they like to ski, do what makes you happy.

All I meant by my comments was that when I was instructing, I saw people rush into wide skis and it was too much ski for them, and I've seen a lot of folks go a little more narrow and have an easier learning progression and more fun for their skill level without feeling like they were missing out on anything.
JustPanda
AG
I think the key is being comfortable and feeling in control.

I can ride on all waists and lengths and some just feel weird to me. Other people LOVE THEM. Heck some lengths and waists feel different even within the same company production. No one ski is the same and what feel good for you is what you should ski. Just know that not all skis perform the same under all conditions and that's why we have a quiver. If you don't have a quiver then go with what works best for you most of the time and if the conditions don't match either stay in or rent.

That's my advice.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Boy…yall talking about ski touring set ups gets me giddy.

My daily driver are Icelantic Nomad 115's cause they fit what I love to do and spend a fair amount of time on the Utah slopes.

Buuut..living in Texas where I can make 3-4 trips a season, I'd rather get a bunch of laps in then do the touring. No doubt if I lived anywhere near a mountain, that's what I'd be so deep in it's not even funny. Love to run in my free time and can't imagine how fun of a cardio workout that would be.
JustPanda
AG
I love my touring set. My daily drivers are the 97 Camox or the 105 Atris.

Headed to NM next week to ski Pajarito. Always brings back memories.
RangerRick9211
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Boy…yall talking about ski touring set ups gets me giddy.

My daily driver are Icelantic Nomad 115's cause they fit what I love to do and spend a fair amount of time on the Utah slopes.

Buuut..living in Texas where I can make 3-4 trips a season, I'd rather get a bunch of laps in then do the touring. No doubt if I lived anywhere near a mountain, that's what I'd be so deep in it's not even funny. Love to run in my free time and can't imagine how fun of a cardio workout that would be.

I can't afford a full ski quiver because I spent all my money on my first passion, bikes. Same ethos skinning though, I like the workout going up and the thrill going down. Also, no lines on the skin track.

And just move to the mountains. We waited 33 years to leave Houston and I so regret not doing it earlier!
JustPanda
AG
Bikes are next level pricey. They guys at my shop are all bikers. Either ex BMX pros or super cross pros. Next levels of no fear.

When am I gonna get you guys on some ski bikes?? I got some sick Lenz'.

Planning a Heli ski bike trip at some point in the late spring. Should be a hella jump off.
JustPanda
AG
Everybody ready for a forecast to cheer for??

Check out these forecasts:

JustPanda
AG
Bad news:

It's building in this snow level but should REALLY help bump up these %.

rather be fishing
AG
You got those forecasts for Whitefish, Big Sky, and Schweitzer? Is that some kind of dashboard you have setup?
BCO07
AG
Just got my wife through her first day skiing ever. Sierra at Tahoe was good on all the green runs. Decent powder left from the 12" yesterday. None of the blacks, west bowl or back side were open yet
bmac_aggie18
AG
Exact reason why i won't get into mountain biking haha I love skiing and fly fishing too much and don't think I can fit it in.

Edit to add I'm in Houston too currently, got my head spinning!
LRHF
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Exact reason why i won't get into mountain biking haha I love skiing and fly fishing too much and don't think I can fit it in.

Edit to add I'm in Houston too currently, got my head spinning!

Sounds like you need to come to Durango and ski Purg then book a float trip with me on the San Juan River!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Man it's hard to ski that far south this year! Got the Ikon Base so usually stick to the I-70 spots.

But with the fly rod in hand, I typically stick to the backcountry and camp. The solitude and peace does it for me! Will be out in So Col on some tributaries of the Conejos doing fairly high altitude meadow fishing for some browns if you ever play in that area
LRHF
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Man it's hard to ski that far south this year! Got the Ikon Base so usually stick to the I-70 spots.

But with the fly rod in hand, I typically stick to the backcountry and camp. The solitude and peace does it for me! Will be out in So Col on some tributaries of the Conejos doing fairly high altitude meadow fishing for some browns if you ever play in that area

I like EC as well!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Good to know I'm making the right choice! To say I'm excited is an understatement
RangerRick9211
AG
rather be fishing said:

You got those forecasts for Whitefish, Big Sky, and Schweitzer? Is that some kind of dashboard you have setup?

It's Open Snow. Just an app on your phone.

Panda is a just a screenshoting machine.

SNOTEL maps are NOAA. Just Google it for Idaho and you'll find the different zones and reporting areas.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. I have most of the major hill SNOTELs saved through OpenSnow.

Makes it way easier to read the daily forecast and yes I look at this several times a day. I'm a weather and ski nerd.
Yesterday
AG
Let's go Park City!
JustPanda
AG
INSANE! I said the same thing… I know where we're going first week of Feb!
RangerRick9211
AG
JustPanda said:

Bikes are next level pricey. They guys at my shop are all bikers. Either ex BMX pros or super cross pros. Next levels of no fear.

When am I gonna get you guys on some ski bikes?? I got some sick Lenz'.

Planning a Heli ski bike trip at some point in the late spring. Should be a hella jump off.

I've never ski biked. I've fat tired some snow, though.

But I think my bike quiver is done for a while. Actually down sizing if anyone wants to buy a crit bike - the Madone is for sale!

Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

INSANE! I said the same thing… I know where we're going first week of Feb!
We'll be there 3-7. Staying right at the Waldorf gondola at the parents timeshare with Wyndham.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.