Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,902 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're headed back to Texas to visit family for a week. Hoping to come back to some snow but it doesn't look like it.

I don't really expect to ski Ashland until after Christmas or the new year even. I was planning on taking off the week between Christmas and new years but might work to save for some ski days in Jan.

Speaking of which, have you been to Hoodoo or Willy P? Got a trip out towards Eugene in January and was thinking of stopping by. My Ashland pass gets me 4 free days at Hoodoo.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
JB!98
AG
As a Texas boy who can count on both hands how many times he has seen snow, I loved being in Spokane this week. They got a decent amount of snow. Can't wait to come back on "Business" after Christmas!

Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JB!98
AG
JB!98 said:

As a Texas boy who can count on both hands how many times he has seen snow, I loved being in Spokane this week. They got a decent amount of snow. Can't wait to come back on "Business" after Christmas!

Had to cross the state to see a job site. One of the more impressive places is the Columbia River outside Quincy.

Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JustPanda
AG
Colombia River Gorge NP may be one of the prettiest landscapes I've ever seen. It's magical on another level.
docb
AG
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/steamboat-resort-plans-to-open-completed-wild-blue-gondola-600-additional-acres-by-friday/

More terrain opening up and the debut of the new gondola. That is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait for all the new trails to open up in the pioneer expansion.
RangerRick9211
AG
I wish it were a Natty Park, but it's not!

I've given up driving 26 to Government Camp from PDX. Instead, I drive the Gorge, count waterfalls, count breweries and then dog south in Hood River. Growing up on I70 and spending two seasons on 26, I'll take the extra 20 min of driving for that zen. It's also where you hit the Cascade shadow, so it can be raining in PDX, snowing on Hood, but you're sunny with a Pfriem IPA on the waterfront in Hood River.

RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

We're headed back to Texas to visit family for a week. Hoping to come back to some snow but it doesn't look like it.

I don't really expect to ski Ashland until after Christmas or the new year even. I was planning on taking off the week between Christmas and new years but might work to save for some ski days in Jan.

Speaking of which, have you been to Hoodoo or Willy P? Got a trip out towards Eugene in January and was thinking of stopping by. My Ashland pass gets me 4 free days at Hoodoo.
We're the inverse. We're not going back to TX this year, but a constant migration of DFW/HTX folks through our house looking to ski and it's sucked. Safe travels!

I've skied Hoodoo on the way to Bend twice. I love it. It's just easier to go Bach from Bend/Sunriver. There's a cool place in Sisters called Suttle Lodge, but we haven't stayed yet. But it would be a good place to launch into Hoodoo. When we get our Sprinter and can park in their overnight lots / Deschutes disperse, I'd like to ski it more!

Willy P looks fun. We got some half-day passess at Snowvanna there this year. I've never been! Post a report if you do go! I'm big into MTB and Oakridge is one of the big OR destinations and right next to Willamette Pass. I've been once, but never went further up the pass to the ski hill.
CREAg87
AG
Really hoping to hit Meadows after the new year, possibly Bachelor as well.
Keep your rifle by your side
clinte234
AG
Panda (or anyone else that knows)...do you have any experience or thoughts with Faction skis? I'm not familiar with this brand. I have an opportunity to pick up a used demo pair.
JustPanda
AG
Which set? I have the Prodigy 3.0, the Mana 3.0s and the Mana 4.0s. I've never been on the a Prodigy 2.0s but people in the shop love them. I've ridden the Candides too and they are steezy. I guess you could say I like them…
RangerRick9211
AG
CREAg87 said:

Really hoping to hit Meadows after the new year, possibly Bachelor as well.
GFS is trending very bullish week of Christmas:

We're pass holders at Meadows, so we'll see you up there!
JustPanda
AG
Yeah that will hit use buy not much. Southwestern Colorado will do well (maps in cm because I'm in Mx).

Summit looks like between 12-18 inches. Little more north and a lot more south. Still won't be anywhere near what we need. And that's the total through 28/12 so yeah still not a ton

clinte234
AG
I believe they are the Faction Agent 1x...for my wife.
rak1693
AG
I'm heading to Wolf Creek on Dec 27. That's setting up to be great weather it seems. Would you agree?
JustPanda
AG
About 24-30 inches expected through 12/28. So, it should be nice, but the problem is that they aren't working with a big base now. That's gonna be most places at this point in CO.

19-21 inch base right now. Usually it's 44 inches.
aggiesed8r
AG
Heading out to Heavenly New Years week. Man, it looks dry out west.
JustPanda
AG
It's technically a touring vs. an all mountain ski. It's a 120 86 110. So 86 under waist, w 20% front rocker and 10% tail rocker. Overall, it's a nice $800 factory. It's a more intermediate to advanced profile.
clinte234
AG
Thank you…Faction is a quality brand? I've never heard of them.
JustPanda
AG
Hella great brand. I can buy any pair of skis in the world working for a ski shop. and I have 3 sets of them. In fact, most of my professional friends ski on factions or armadas as their everyday or at least have a set in their quiver.

If you want to email me, I can see what I can price that set new for along w bindings. It won't be as good as a demo ski sale price but you won't be on rental bindings and fresh bottoms.

Before you buy them, ask what bindings they have mounted and I'm happy to give you my overall opinion of the set.
clinte234
AG
Really appreciate the info…sounds like these will work great for her.

They have Faction bindings on them but not sure which ones. Picking them up next week.
JustPanda
AG
Solid find - if you need help adjusting them I can lyk how to do it and where to set her for the insole and DIN.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Panda,

What do you think about the Icelantic Nomad 115 skis?
Jock 07
AG
Won't speak for him but I've demo'd a couple of icelantic skis when reps were at the base of the mountain. I was pretty impressed with them.
SockDePot
Hey panda,

I went looking for your post on custom boots and couldn't search and/or find. Either too stubborn for stars or too dumb to figure it out, maybe both.

Do you have a link to it?

I'm in Houston but really want to get some custom boots.

Looks like St. Bernard and Sun and ski are resources around here.

I'm not super opposed to taking a trip somewhere to get some if it's really worth it too.

Thanks in advance.
Jock 07
AG
Not sure if he was referring to another thread but here's the one I started this past summer when I was looking for new boots. Was originally thinking I'd wind up at surefoot even though the cost isn't insignificant. I wound up at boot mechanics for probably ~50% what I would've spent at surefoot.

Scored a pair of previous year Solomon S Pro 130s and custom inserts for ~$700 when the boots themselves retailed for $800 originally.

Can't recommend boot mechanics enough really great folks that know what they're doing. A lot more goes into boot fitting than you'd think, I'd almost compare the foot analysis to having custom boots made back home. They'll be able to tell you which brands are best for your foot anatomy.

I'm sure surefoot is great as well but the $$s was a determining factor for me personally. Although it'd be pretty sweet to have a dedicated shop at pretty much ever hill I'd be skiing on.

I'd been in 31s for 10 years and sized down to 29.5 and the difference in the two times I've been up so far this year has been so significant I feel as though I've wasted a decade of skiing with my old boots that were too big.

Here's a shot of my new set up. And a shot of the new skis which I'm also in love with.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3388834

Jock 07
AG
Oh also, this seems as good a place as any for this question. Fixin to break down and get a Thule cargo box for wife's expedition for when the whole family makes the trip up to the mountains. Anyone have a lead on a good pulley system to install in the garage to store the box when not in use?
JustPanda
AG
Thule makes a MultiLift for like $329.99 but you can unusually find it used on FB MP for like $150-200. I've also seen some friends make them from scratch. I have another friend that has one that's not brand name - I'll ask FB MP is the best place to find used Thule and Thule accessories on the cheap. I have the Pulse Alpine 11 and love it.

I set it up on the passengers side of my roof and then put a rhino rack ski rack on the other 1/2 of the roof over the drivers side. Let's me carry 2 sets of sticks (1 SB) regardless of the length and then everything else I can throw in the Thule.
JustPanda
AG
I get discounts on Rossy, Lange, and Salomon boots Basically any of them.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the username to login and see what you'd like: I typically advise people to go into a shop like surefoot and try on what they have in stock and see what fits best and what they suggest. The reason you want a professional fit is that the last thing you want is a custom boot w an insole that's too big. You want your boots to be soo snug you have NO movement once ratcheted shut. You legit don't want any flex under the footbed (2nd ratchet from bottom on a 4 ratchet boot) under the toes, or where the ankle and heel set (second ratchet from the top on a 4 ratchet boot). We all ski 1-2 Mondo sizes down from what we measure. So for instance, I measure a 26.5 but ski a 24.5 hard shell. You don't need to drop that far if you aren't super technical, but I'd suggest trying to drop 1 mondo if you can stomach it. And no a tight boot won't make you lose your toe nails… You lose toenails from boots that are too big. Why? Because the footbed doesn't sit flush and when you start to ski at a decent grade, the foot slides forward and puts pressure on the end on the toes at the end of the available toe bed. It's the constant pressure on the end of the toes that results in losing toe nails. If the boot is tight and there's no movement, your toes never shift and there's no pressure on the tips of the nail bed. Shin bang is the other thing big boots can create because the shin becomes the focal point where the ski carries weight. If you ever have sore shins or lose toe nails, you need to ski in a smaller mondo/insole combo.

If your toes go numb, that's a different issue entirely. That's from over tightening the top ratchet that goes around the calf. The major artery for blood blow goes behind the calf and down the leg, so you want that top ratchet right, but comfortable. You don't want it serving as a tourniquet around the calf because that's what cut off blood flow to the feet which makes them cold and crampy.

Boot Mechanics in Golden and Avon are great. They are top of the line in terms of knowledge and experience. Jock nailed it: boot fitting is an art and a science combined. One of my first managers from Charter is the proprietor of the Avon store.

The back of the envelope math for boots if I purchase them and you want a SF style custom setup is the following:

Buy the hard shells that come w factory liners, then either have the liners heated and shaved and the hardshell punched out where you need extra space in the footbed or keep the factory liners and have a set of custom liners made by SF etc for $469. The custom orthotics isn't included in the SF price that they provide online for the boot and liner combo. So if it shows $1150 or $1250 on SF add an extra $245 plus tax. You can also buy the custom orthotics without the custom liner (if you decide to just heat treat punch and shave the liner / hard shell - some of the best skier I know prefer this to an actual custom fitted liner)

So for example if you were going to get the Lange RS130 LVs you'd be looking at $325 + $465 + $245 = $1,035 plus tax = $1,122 (the custom orthotics are optional on this boot but I'd recommend them as they help set the footbed deeper and can help establish a non-factory forward lean etc). Most factory boots set you at a FL between 13-15%, most BC setups are around 11-12% while most DH setups are around 17%. If you have a personal preference on your FL, having a custom liner and orthotic is a must.

From SF that setup would be $1,510 + tax = $1,638

If you don't want the orthotic, youre all in around $857 after tax vs. $1,372. It's a solid deal if you know what you want

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get all the ski boot info out there because 99% of the time that's what makes people hate skiing and my boots are more comfortable than my everyday shoes. Once you find the mix that fits your body and ski style well, it's NIGHT and DAY. I ski 120+ days a year and I don't think I'd ski more than 10 on non-custom gear because I'd be in so much pain that I wouldn't be able to walk. I hate to push expensive gear, but it really does change the entire experience.
Jock 07
AG
Cool, I'll check that out.
Another thing on boots, I've heard it said, and believe it to be true, the best place to get fitted is close to the mountain. I'd argue it's worth it to add a day on the front side of a trip to spend getting fitted.
JustPanda
AG
1000% absolutely.

Hypothetical here:

Arrive Saturday morning in Denver, drive to Breck etc and arrive by 2:00-3:00, bring in hardshell previously purchased, get fit for a liner and orthotic, leave hardshell over night to pickup next morning.

Sunday: Head to SF etc early (before mountain open or right at lifts open), try on boot/liner to see where it still may fit a little odd, if no hot spots in store, take out on the hill for 3-4 runs to see how they feel on the hill (I bring tape to put on any spots that may feel raw), if they fit perfect, then you're done. If they have some tension spots, after those 3-4 runs (you gotta get the liner heated by your body and give your foot time to acclimate into the new boot) head back to the store and show them where you're feeling pressure while the liners warm. They may be able to take it back and adjust it ASAP or they may want to keep it overnight if they have to punch the hardshell.

Monday: pick up boots if left overnight and rip all day.

One other little thing: every year your foot will change size just a little bit from gaining and losing weight. The first time you put on custom boots the next season, they will feel weird, but the liner will natural adjust to the new shape of your foot assuming you haven't gain egregious amounts or weight
HUEY04
AG
Did you end up with custom liners, if so which ones? I'm looking at picking up some and have been eyeying the Zipfit Freeride since I'm in a 30.5 High Volume boot.
Also curious since you went from a 31 to 29 what size shoe you typically wear? That Salomon is a pretty low volume last and going down 2 sizes into a smaller last seems like a lot
JustPanda
AG
I don't get asked about 115s often

Icelantic and Never Summer are the same company out of Leadville and their factory is in Broomfield.

They are a great company, great product, great people.

Regarding the Nomad 115s, I happen to love them. It's a free rocker setup (rocker camber rocker) partial twin tip, 19 turn radius at 181 which is surprisingly good for a 115 181, wood core and 2.2mm edges. It's a 150/115/140 so some hella wide toes and heels. Super light weight to at 4,380g per set (2190 each).

For comparison, my Faction Mana 3.0s at 184 are the following 140/112/134, 21 turn radius, & 3980 grams. That may sound light, but the 150/115/140s are much bigger so to have a better turn radius and only 400g (10% more weight) is actually very impressive.

You won't want to take them out on groomers obviously because the flex is too soft and you'll toe chatter out hard, but for a powder set, they are awesome and that 19 radius makes tress surprisingly accessible.

Without knowing anything about you but assuming you shred pretty hard giving the ? About 115s, I'd really rec getting a binding w a DIN rating of 13+ since you're going to be ripping mostly powder and the last thing you want is a low DIN binding w bad pins and loose ***** You want something you can sit down and rocking chair without having to worry if you're going to blow out. Marker Griffons, Look Pivots, Tyrolia Attacks, etc would be my suggestion.

Once you scratch the super pow stick itch, if you're like I WANT WIDEr check out the Faction Mana 4.0s. They are SICK. Little more tappered toes and heels, but a 119 waist, 144/119/137 rocker, FLAT, rocker. So technically a long turn radius but the ability to literally shift out at any moment. It's STEEZY.
JustPanda
AG
Zip fit use a proprietary cork blend which is actually really cool (actually warm) and molds to your foot constantly unlike a foam liner that sets and hardens indefinitely. The only issue I've seen with the Zipfits is how they lace up. I've had several people have to readjust how they have them laced the first couple of runs/days out until they get it just right. Once they get that set, it's game on.

Edit to add: it's also a little different setup than normal. You lace the liner to your foot first, and then stick your foot + liner into the hard shell.
bmac_aggie18
AG
JustPanda said:

I don't get asked about 115s often

Icelantic and Never Summer are the same company out of Leadville and their factory is in Broomfield.

They are a great company, great product, great people.

Regarding the Nomad 115s, I happen to love them. It's a free rocker setup (rocker camber rocker) partial twin tip, 19 turn radius at 181 which is surprisingly good for a 115 181, wood core and 2.2mm edges. It's a 150/115/140 so some hella wide toes and heels. Super light weight to at 4,380g per set (2190 each).

For comparison, my Faction Mana 3.0s at 184 are the following 140/112/134, 21 turn radius, & 3980 grams. That may sound light, but the 150/115/140s are much bigger so to have a better turn radius and only 400g (10% more weight) is actually very impressive.

You won't want to take them out on groomers obviously because the flex is too soft and you'll toe chatter out hard, but for a powder set, they are awesome and that 19 radius makes tress surprisingly accessible.

Without knowing anything about you but assuming you shred pretty hard giving the ? About 115s, I'd really rec getting a binding w a DIN rating of 13+ since you're going to be ripping mostly powder and the last thing you want is a low DIN binding w bad pins and loose ***** You want something you can sit down and rocking chair without having to worry if you're going to blow out. Marker Griffons, Look Pivots, Tyrolia Attacks, etc would be my suggestion.

Once you scratch the super pow stick itch, if you're like I WANT WIDEr check out the Faction Mana 4.0s. They are SICK. Little more tappered toes and heels, but a 119 waist, 144/119/137 rocker, FLAT, rocker. So technically a long turn radius but the ability to literally shift out at any moment. It's STEEZY.

Kinda figured so! They're actually the skis I have (this will be their 3rd season) and I'm all about em.

Agree with everything you're saying, works fantastic on the steeps, crud & powder but actually hold up pretty well on groomers although not preferred as the edge has a tendency get lost on occasion. Nonetheless, well worth the trade off for what I like to do!

I almost went with the Armada 116 JJ since they're similar but thought these looked a little cooler which has to count for something right haha!

I do like to kick it up a notch when i shred and have been lucky enough to made it out to Snowbird and Alta during storms the past few years. By far my top 2 and have still yet to make it to Jackson Hole and Big Sky.

Im right with you're thinking I've got them on the Marker Jester 16 ID.

Those 119's would be a fun pair to demo! Being in Texas it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have 2 pairs of sticks but one can dream! 115's feel a little big on drier days so those must be insane!

I'll be at Winter Park in January, then A-Basin, Copper & Snwobird in February if you ever wanna catch a couple laps

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.