Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,865 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JP,

Me and my lady are going to ski Copper Mountain in about a month and she needs a new bib. Is there anything by chance you'd be able to get us a discount on?
rather be fishing
AG
6" overnight. Such a big difference today.
Pahdz
that's what she said
JustPanda
AG
Vail has a Poma chair that sends you up Mongolia Bowl. One of my fav "lifts" on the mountain. It's like being on the edge of the world surrounded by nothing but powder.

JustPanda
AG
Any brand specific?
h1ag
AG
Getting ready for the east coast storm to roll into New England. We're expecting 8" tonight and another 8 over the next week.

Friends are driving up from Boston tonight, and we're heading to Cannon in the morning.

Supposed to fly to dfw for a sales kick off tomorrow night. Might "get snowed in."
Jock 07
AG
Yea was gonna say I've used poma lifts on multiple mountains
MAS444
AG
Yeah Telluride has at least one.
Yesterday
AG
At this rate will Keystone be skiable come beginning of April?
JustPanda
AG
I mean…. Maybe? They aren't really getting much compared to the rest of the state so I'd say 50/50.

For instance: vail has 11 over 5 and 25 expected over 10
Keystone: 4 over last 5 and 13 over 10.

So they are still pulling way way under the rest of the state.
docb
AG

oldag941
AG
Supposed to keep hammering on and off over the next week or so. They are blessed so far, beyond other resorts.
docb
AG
oldag941 said:

Supposed to keep hammering on and off over the next week or so. They are blessed so far, beyond other resorts.

Downside is I will need my driveway plowed multiple times!!
Tecolote
AG
I stand corrected - I read another article on the plane the other day saying Sipapu was the last, but that article I posted said in 2018 there were 8 but not sure how many left today.

Either way, it was a cool, nostalgic part of skiing. If the rookie in front of you crashed on the way up, sometimes you had to swing so wide and stretch the spring and really hold on as you went around (all the while hoping they didn't do something like move into you). Or if someone in front dropped something, bending down to pick it up for them was a testament to your skiing and coordination skills. And some of the Poma lifts that went just into the expert terrain were really cranked up so it was a good jolt of fun. Or putting your poles in between the disk and your butt so you can get your flask out for a little nip!
Jock 07
AG
docb said:

Well Steamboat is getting a massive dump

Just in time for Music Fest. Man I wish I was up there right now.
docb
AG
Music Fest is a fun time. A friend of mine is performing.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Northface preferably but she's open to others
JustPanda
AG
I love Pomas. No need to apologize. I wish more places had them. It's a cool cool experience.
MAS444
AG
Don't a lot of really small one run type hills still use them? I thought Ouray had one too.

I stand corrected. Ouray is just a rope tow.
txam92
AG
Tecolote said:

Anyone want to test their stamina - go spend a day skiing Sipapu in NM and do not use any chair lifts. Only use the last Poma lift in the North America. It was what it was like skiing in the 70s/80s. You never got to "sit" - you were always on your feet/skis going down and up! Santa Fe had a killer one in that era for the top of the mountain above the tree line.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/new-mexico-vintage-lift

They had several of those in Sweden still. First time I had seen one and it was an "interesting" experience the first time I rode one.
Tecolote
AG
txam92 said:

Tecolote said:

Anyone want to test their stamina - go spend a day skiing Sipapu in NM and do not use any chair lifts. Only use the last Poma lift in the North America. It was what it was like skiing in the 70s/80s. You never got to "sit" - you were always on your feet/skis going down and up! Santa Fe had a killer one in that era for the top of the mountain above the tree line.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/new-mexico-vintage-lift

They had several of those in Sweden still. First time I had seen one and it was an "interesting" experience the first time I rode one.
When moved to France (Grenoble) in the early 90s they had lots of them all over still especially the smaller areas and also for the more advanced terrain at larger venues. My French co-workers were sooo disappointed that I was very experienced with them as they wanted to make fun of the American who couldn't figure them out.
JustPanda
AG
Probs not the place to post this but if you guys and gals don't mind sending out some prayers for my dad, I'd hella appreciate it.
smstork1007
AG
Praying for you and your dad!
maroonblood90
AG
That Poma list at Sipapu was a tone of fun.
JustPanda
AG
https://www.facebook.com/reel/882343766670989?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=Xa0RJd
CREAg87
AG
Booked my trip to Oregon- will be at Mt Hood Meadows on the 25th and in Bend on the 26th of this month.
Keep your rifle by your side
Tecolote
AG
maroonblood90 said:

That Poma list at Sipapu was a tone of fun.
I knew every inch of that place growing up. The Bolanders owned it and were family friends. My senior year of high school I only went half days. Couple friends did also. We'd ditch last period before lunch and be on the slopes at 12:30 for the half day ticket which was like $12. The Bolanders wanted to encourage skiing and our high school ski club went every Wednesday. They charged $5 per kid and that included a mandatory lesson regardless of skill level and ski rentals if you didn't own your own skis. The Bolander's son (who was like 26-27) was always our instructor (my group was 4-5 max) and he really taught us so much - one day was focused on moguls, another day tree and powder, another day a slalom course.

I've skied all over the Rockies and the Alps. My favorite ski day though was when my brand new girlfriend I took skiing on a Tuesday during break at A&M - was the first week of January. They'd just put in their first chairlift which was great as she was a novice. Anyway, snow was perfect, sunny cool day and the two of us were the ONLY customers that day. We had the mountain to ourselves and spent the day skiing with the employees (we even had to wait for the cook to take his break to cook us some burgers for lunch).
maroonblood90
AG
Great memories for you! Sipapu is where my whole family learned to ski - awesome place for kids - great memories there for us. Truly a famiky feel - the staff always remembered us from year to year.
MouthBQ98
AG
On a related note: considering ordering a new set of boots to replace my venerable 18 year old Nordicas. I'm going to guess that between the slow deterioration of my old boots and new materials, design, and tech, new boots will be light years better.

Looking at some inexpensive Nordica's. My options are limited because of my budget and my wide feet. My old boots were 275 mondo, but were always a bit loose. When I put a rule on the ground against a wall and measure, I get about 258mm, give or take. I was looking at going with a 265 boot, as you can pack the toe I would guess if needed, but you can't make a short boot longer, and a longer boot would be a smidge wider through the length.
Yet, 258 isn't much over 255 and I've read also that skiers with snug boots retain a bit more control, so they often select for a tighter fit as they gain skill.

I'm a moderately skilled skier. I get to go about once a year right now, but consider a boot I can fit to my feet and legs at home worth the price versus having to play hit or miss with rentals. Advice from
Experienced skiers welcome.
HUEY04
AG
After skiing for 8 years in a row back in the 2000's I just went out for the first time in well over a decade in a new pair of Nordica Sportmachine 130's and it's the first time ever that I had zero foot discomfort and felt like I could really control the skis. My measurements indicated the HV Sportmachine vs LV Speedmachine was the better pick and I went 30.5 even though my feet measured slightly longer. Couldn't be any happier with the new boots. Also, I replaced the liners with Zipfit Freerides that once heat molded to my feet felt amazing.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
The drive in from Denver this morning was even worse than normal, but the reported 9" of powder Vail got last night was incredible in the back bowls today.
Dgiaco95
AG
I have to go there. Lived in NM for 7 years and we haven't tried it yet.
clinte234
AG
It is a really fun, small ski area. Perfect for kids. We used to go on Presidents weekend every year and they have (or at least had) a ton of activities going on in celebration!
JustPanda
AG
HMU and let's ski tomorrow. I can show the the local pow spots. They're way better than anything on the trail map.
Legal Custodian
AG
This is a big question but I'm getting to the point where I'm looking at buying my own ski boots. I've only been skiiing for 4 years or so. My in-laws are a big ski family and I've grown to love it.

What do you recommend I look at and what price point should I be looking at?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.