Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,901 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
SockDePot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pahdz said:

Great to hear, glad they got a lot last week. Curious how the weekend crowds are. Both times I've been previously have been midweek and it's so nice with no waits.

Whitefish on a clear day has views that can only be topped by Tahoe

Started to get a little busy yesterday after lunch, but the longest wait was maybe 10 min. All the people that work here keep saying it's usually way busier than this.

Weather was sunny and clear again, started to get a little icy on the front side by the end of the day, but another awesome day up here.

They did a mountain fireworks show last night, we had a perfect view from our balcony hot tub.
rather be fishing
AG
Man, no worries.

I had to make a trip back to Texas a few weeks ago to go see my grandmother in hospice and went through the same thing. 36 hours of travel for 36 hours back in my hometown.
'03ag
Skijoring is skiing

JustPanda
AG
We aren't allowed to have fireworks anymore. Only laser light drone shows and they SUCK.
rather be fishing
AG
I'll be at the mountain for a solid 12 hours today because we're sucking around to watch fireworks. It's surprisingly less busy than yesterday.
Pahdz
Coworker of mine is into this and wins the event here in the Twin Cities every year. He's done the one in downtown Leadville a few times as well. Crazy cowboys on skis. They did a big air trick competition a couple years ago here and there were some gnarly crashes.
Jock 07
AG
Steamboat has a similar big cowboy event as well with many cowboys on skis that have no idea what they're doing for comedic relief as well iirc
Pahdz
A lot of is literally "hey we found these skis in the barn what can we do with them?"

The winter equivalent of water skiing behind a truck or ATV in flood waters or ditches
Pahdz
Anyone ever used Ship Skis when traveling? If so, what was hour experience?
LRHF
AG
Pahdz said:

Anyone ever used Ship Skis when traveling? If so, what was hour experience?

No but a lot of people will ship from their local UPS store to another UPS Store near their destination.
rather be fishing
AG
Dog the Bounty Hunter's nephew has some property in Heron, MT and they do one of these every year. I doubt it'll happen this year since there's no snow. I wanted to go check it out last year but tickets sold out quick.
JustPanda
AG
www.ShipGo.com
www.ShipSticks.com
www.LugLess.com
www.ShipSkis.com
www.SendMyBag.com
JustPanda
AG
That also works. That's the old school way from before it became a money making grind. I'm actually banned from the Avon UPS store for going off on them about 10 years ago for losing a set of skis. Now people have caught on and provide a little more tailored service. Usually D2D.

Edit to add: I'm super good friends with the UPS store owner in Vail, Avon, and Edward's, and we laugh about how I had to pivot to the Edward's store for mail for a couple years (we didn't have a mailing address and a lot won't mail to a PO Box). It wasn't his decision, it was corporate.
JustPanda
AG
We do it a lot. Its hard to check our sticks because they're super long and I'm always terrified of a weird flex being put on them. I always feel a lot better and safer with them going via a professional service that has insurance coverage. I've found them far more reliable than checked bags w the cluster that's airlines right now (speaking from my last 24 hours of being rerouted all over the US and still waiting on my checked bag. If I'd checked my skis, I'd have been SOL)
JustPanda
AG
Sorry for being out of the loop for awhile…

Colorado Ski Report 2/18/24

Vail: 13 past 5, 6 next 5, 13 next 10, 62 base, 110% SP
BC: 18 past 5, 6 next 5, 13 next 10, 62 base, 111% SP
Telly: 4 past 5, 5 next 5, 22 next 10, 51 base, 90% SP
Purg: 2 past 5, 2 next 5, 20 next 10, 49 base, 90% SP
WC: 2 past 5, 2 next 5, 29 next 10, 72 base, 84% SP
Snowmass: 19 past 5, 6 next 5, 16 next 10, 63 base, 89% SP
Breck: 18 past 5, 1 next 5, 4 next 10, 57 base, 95% SP
Keystone: 11 past 5, 1 next 5, 2 next 10, 51 base, 90% SP
SS: 16 past 5, 12 next 5 (includes rain), 20 next 10 (includes rain), 98 base, 106% SP

Shaping up for a nice next 10 days!

Significant improvement in the statewide snowpack.

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

My lowlight lenses are 64% VLT and I'm happy with them.

Well I really spoke too soon. Overcast day at Breck and couldn't see the terrain at all when up high off the Imperial lift and top of peak 6. Not sure if my eyes are just bad in the lowlight days, or if it's normal to not see ****, but only other thing to try is clear lenses.

Snow coverage was great though. First skiing for me this season with a good base.
JustPanda
AG
What type of lens? 64% VLT can come in many shapes and sizes
rather be fishing
AG
I can only say for myself, but about 3 years ago I stopped being able to follow the puck watching hockey on TV so I got glasses. They helped me with driving so much. I tried them once under my ski goggles and I was blown away with how much detail I could see on the terrain. I don't want to wear glasses under goggles or to wear contacts, so that's something I'm going to live with. BUT, you should get your eyes checked.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Powder day today at Shasta. 12" overnight and was awesome. The new skis did great. My daughter was tired so I went solo and got to really push the new sticks to their limits and had a blast. No friends/family on powder days!

Pahdz
Speaking of new skis, today was a great day here with the fam and my daughter was on her new Elan Wildcat 82's. These are her first "adult" ski as a 13 year old and also was her first time in her new boots where she actually has to work to flex them. She did awesome and had a great day. Was so glad the weather and conditions were finally good enough here in MN to get a test run before our trip to Whitefish at the end of the month.
aggiesed8r
AG
Here in whitefish tonight. been getting a little snow accumulation all evening. tomorrow is going to be great.
rather be fishing
AG
I ate it pretty hard this afternoon. Bombing down a black groomer that hadn't been groomed and tried to avoid some gravel that had worked up to the surface, got into the chop on the side and my ski popped off. Really glad there was no one behind me to see me flail around trying to get stopped within 100yds of my ski.

Got down and went right back to the run and picked a better line. Good times today. Wish there was more snow on the ground.
Waterski02
AG
I'll second Smith sensor Mirror. Great all purpose lens that also does well in most flat light conditions

Oakley has some newer tints but not a big fan of their fit or lens quality. But you can't beat free.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JustPanda said:

What type of lens? 64% VLT can come in many shapes and sizes

These
https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/WGOO7050R?variant=888392557919
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I've worn glasses/contacts for about a decade now. Had my contact prescription checked less than 2 weeks ago, so unfortunately that won't fix it.
JustPanda
AG
Go with the Prism High Pink. Hella great snow lens.
MouthBQ98
AG
Sweet. Looks like I will roll into Purg the day before 10" is forecast.
KaneIsAble
AG
Just got back from Breck. They show 18" but felt more like 24". Man it dumped all day Friday into Saturday morning and then again Sunday afternoon. Freaking great skiing weather.
SockDePot
Sitting at the airport in Kalispell.

Whitefish was awesome, wish we were staying another day, it was dumping when we left the mountain.

Had mostly sunny days and not too crowded.

Kids continue to get better, and probably will surpass me next year.

Mildly traumatized the 10 year old on a pretty steep blue. She made it to the bottom with some help and never fell but was shook the rest of the day. Had to run some easy greens to get her head right, but she was still done. Says she still wants to ski next year though.

Can't wait to come back.

Trying to decide if we jam in a New Mexico trip over spring break…
Pahdz
Love it, glad you got some clear days. Can't wait to get there next week!
JustPanda
AG

watty
AG
Going to be in Denver on Thursday and am deciding to surprise my wife with some ski boots for her birthday. Any recommendations on a good shop to visit in Denver?
JustPanda
AG
Hands down the best is gonna be Boot Mechanics in Golden/Avon. Make sure you book a reservation online, they don't take walk ins.

https://www.bootmechanics.com/book-online

You also have SureFoot in Denver.
oats05
Just Panda, any recommendations for snowboard boot fitting? I'm right around Golden. My wife tried Powder 7 for ski boots but wasn't impressed, even after it came highly recommend by a friend who is quite an accomplished skier. I'm teaching the kids this year and am on rental skis, but I will be going back to boarding next season or maybe the one after.
ChipFTAC01
AG
watty said:

Going to be in Denver on Thursday and am deciding to surprise my wife with some ski boots for her birthday. Any recommendations on a good shop to visit in Denver?

Also can highly recommend Larsons in Arvada.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.