Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,931 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
East Dallas Ag
AG
Look at Snow King Mountain and stay at Snow King Resort (slopeside with rentals onsite), in Jackson Wy. You'll be amazed at how convenient it is, especially compared to CO. Isn't the biggest mountain so you can always do a day or 2 at JHMR, there's free shuttles from the resort. Only downside is limited flights from Houston.
JustPanda
AG
We're in Jackson right now. I'd be really hesitant to book at Snow King. It's legit like 18 total runs on 3 chairs and there's very little beginner / intermediate terrain.

I LOVE Snow King, but I wouldn't shape a vacation around it.

Yesterday
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Awesome. Hopefully most of it is still there in 2 weeks, or even more.

On a side note: the Amazon cheap brand ski pants trial and error is interesting. They seem to have no size that will fit someone that wears a 32 pants. So far, everything has been too small or falls down without a belt. Nothing between. Oh well, trial and error is the price paid for not shopping retail and paying retail prices.

Try these Columbia pants. I'm a 32/34 depending on brand and these have been really good. I have the medium regular size and they're a hair snug but fit just fine. I imagine they would work well with a 32.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-bugaboo-iv-insulated-ski-pants-1864311.html?dwvar_1864311_color=010&dwvar_1864311_size=L&dwvar_1864311_dimension=R&ef_id=CjwKCAiAt5euBhB9EiwAdkXWO-7ioiIDIJDfw2BSQ8E6BB5pZKu1LDwLkoP1XsLAIpa-RzRhTTsSBRoCuPMQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!!!!x!!!20070571359!&mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CPMAX%7CSale_Feed_Only%7CGoogle%7CUS&eid=Google+PMax+US&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt5euBhB9EiwAdkXWO-7ioiIDIJDfw2BSQ8E6BB5pZKu1LDwLkoP1XsLAIpa-RzRhTTsSBRoCuPMQAvD_BwE
InfantryAg
AG
Looking at some Lange XT3 Pro Alpine Touring boots (had been looking at Salomon Shift Pros) to use with the Salomon Shift 13 bindings I just got( smoking deal I couldn't pass up). Primarily ski inbounds, just starting some back country this season. Will be getting custom orthotics.

Looking at some Salomon QST, type skis for this setup.

By next season, some pin bindings and a dedicated backcountry/ powder ski.

Any suggestions?

(I do have an Expertvoice and a Prolink acct. I also have an Amer Sports Pro Club acct, but it doesn't seem to give me a salomon discount)
JustPanda
AG
I get Salomon and Look/Lange/Rossi
JustPanda
AG
If anyone split boards, I get a solid deal on Spark bindings.
tamc93
AG
Day 2. Excellent weather and views. No real waits, so we were up and down the mountain several times.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
InfantryAg
AG
JustPanda said:

I get Salomon and Look/Lange/Rossi
I've got some new 2023 Lange XT3 Tour Pros in the cart for $340...

Hard to beat?
Jock 07
AG
How tied to flying into DIA are you? Direct flights into HDN from IAH with, what I would presume would be much smaller crowds at steamboat
JustPanda
AG
Or Montrose or Durango on SWA (Montrose only) or United both. American might fly there too.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. Doesn't look like the made the XT3 Tour Pro's this year either.
KaneIsAble
AG
Been following this thread for a while; will be in Breckenridge next week but looks like no snow in the forecast. Booooo!

First time in a long time since I've been (2015 ish) are helmets just what people do now?
JustPanda
AG
I wouldn't ski without a helmet or let anyone I know or love ski without one. You want a helmet with MIPS, too.
KaneIsAble
AG
I knew you were going to say that. I'm not a local but been skiing for 35 years and it's hard to grasp. The reason for the break was starting our family and everyone but me now has their own helmet.

Any brands better than others?
tamc93
AG
First time I have used a helmet and it seems like it is very common.

Besides the obvious protection, I like the insulation aspect as well.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
JustPanda
AG
I personally love the Smith Vantage. It isn't cheap but it's a really solid helmet. Smith and POC are my favs.

I grew up in the days where no one wore helmets and those that did were the same kids that rode the short bus and wore a harness on the play ground.

I'm glad I started wearing one because in 10 years I've had probs at least 3 times that I can count where I'd be dead.

Plus, my head stays way way way warmer.

I legit give helmets out for free at the shop if people tell me they aren't wearing one. I don't make them promise me they will wear it, but it puts me at ease knowing they at least have one.
MAS444
AG
There's no downside to wearing a helmet and lots of upside. Just cause we never used to wear em doesn't make wearing em wrong.
KaneIsAble
AG
JustPanda said:

I personally love the Smith Vantage. It isn't cheap but it's a really solid helmet. Smith and POC are my favs.

I grew up in the days where no one wore helmets and those that did were the same kids that rode the short bus and wore a harness on the play ground.

I'm glad I started wearing one because in 10 years I've had probs at least 3 times that I can count where I'd be dead.

Plus, my head stays way way way warmer.

I legit give helmets out for free at the shop if people tell me they aren't wearing one. I don't make them promise me they will wear it, but it puts me at ease knowing they at least have one.

I'm not fighting it at all. Just vastly different than how I grew up with my 1 week a season on the mountains. Best pics I have in my youth by far are No Fear backwards hats with M-frame Oakleys lol.

I'll get one this week / already knew what I should do.
MouthBQ98
AG
The helmets are warm, you feel secure in them, the hold your goggles right in the right place, and your goggles strap to a clip in the back so they keep them with you. Take a bad fall like I did last year, and that helmet can save you a lot of hurt. I won't ski without one now.
Legal Custodian
AG
MAS444 said:

There's no downside to wearing a helmet and lots of upside. Just cause we never used to wear em doesn't make wearing em wrong.

My wife and all her family never used to wear them until about 10 years ago. Then they all decided at once to wear them.

Said, people used to look at it as a weakness or a statement of your lack of ski skills.

But then on a trip to the French Alps they decided how stupid it was that they weren't wearing helmets. All of them bought one and have been wearing them ever since.
JustPanda
AG
Just promise me you won't have a gaper gap

Edit to add: helmets are also a great place to keep your googles, your gaiters, your gloves and some shooters. They're like a little personal locker. Plus, you can put stickers on them and stickers drip steezy.
KaneIsAble
AG
Now that I know what that is I'll do what I can.
JustPanda
AG
I hate to ask this, but who puts the bar down on the chair lifts? One of the most annoying things IMO are the people that pull the bar down like it's the rip cord for an ejector seat. Or, the people that join through the singles line that try to put the bar down immediately and then get angry when you do a chair vote and it's 3/1 or 5/1 for bar up. I've always felt like when you join through the singles line, you follow whatever the main group wants.

Edit to add: the other thing that kinda annoys me is when people join on the left singles line and then announce to the chair that they are going out skiers right or join on right and head out skiers lefts. Don't pinch the entire chair when you had the option of what size to feed in!
Pahdz
JustPanda said:

I hate to ask this, but who puts the bar down on the chair lifts? One of the most annoying things IMO are the people that pull the bar down like it's the rip cord for an ejector seat. Or, the people that join through the singles line that try to put the bar down immediately and then get angry when you do a chair vote and it's 3/1 or 5/1 for bar up. I've always felt like when you join through the singles line, you follow whatever the main group wants.

Edit to add: the other thing that kinda annoys me is when people join on the left singles line and then announce to the chair that they are going out skiers right or join on right and head out skiers lefts. Don't pinch the entire chair when you had the option of what size to feed in!
Only chair I put the bar down on for is Chair 5 at Whitefish IYKYK

The chair egress complaint is fair, if I'm ever on the ends and want to go the other way, just don't get in the way and if that means skating back uphill a bit so be it.
Legal Custodian
AG
Usually we're skiing with kids who might want the bar down. We then just ask whoever is riding with us if it's okay if we put the bar down to make them more comfortable. No one has ever been ugly about it, but it's hard to when there's a kid involved. I really don't care either way
JustPanda
AG
Im not pro or anti. When im by myself, no bar. When im with the kids, bar.

I think chair lift politics are probs some of the most contentious of all.

Edited to add: if you've ever skied Vail, this one will hit home: HELL will freeze over before Mexico City learns to alternate when feeding into a lift line. Not only do they not alternate, they give you an AHole look when you cut in as if you were doing them an egregious disservice.

They also really don't like when you slide into their chair from the singles line. It's a weird entitlement thing I guess.

I also love the Sheriffs of POWdrhood that tell you you cant vape or drink on the chair lift. I've legit had a Karen tell me she was going to call the police on me. WTF?
Pahdz
If only drivers understood the efficiency of the zipper merge
evestor1
LRHF said:

Another 10" overnight at Purg, Today will be another amazing day! SW Colorado is getting a decent snowpack and summer fishing conditions are improving with every storm 39" out of this storm so far!!!

Pretty sure my kids saw you at Purg. They came back from skiing saying that they saw a man that looked like Santa was skiing w a snow gator on. They are 8 and 10 so I kind of just brush off what they say, but seeing your pic makes me wonder.
JustPanda
AG
Or appreciated the simplicity and efficiency of round abouts.
JustPanda
AG
My 6 year old asked me earlier this year what would happen if Santa became diabetic because all he eats is milk and cookies. Trying to explain dialysis to a 6 year old w ASD is harder than catching a fricking snipe.
Pahdz
Love them up here in MN and WI. I always refer to the one coming into Breck as a prime example of one that works (disclaimer...been a while since I've been there though and the influx of tourists probably makes it worse).

I never understood the hate that some have them...it keeps ya moving!
Jock 07
AG
I ski a lot single and I'm right with you on the mindset of letting the majority that I'm joining decide what they want to do with the bar. My main complaint is they don't make the bars high enough to get my skis on the pegs. I suppose they're made for Europeans.
JustPanda
AG
I feel like the entrance to heaven is probs a round about. It's a test to see if once you qualified, you have what it takes to make it in.
JustPanda
AG
My kids always tell me "In my mind, my skis are touching". It makes me die every time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.