Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,936 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
ccag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good news about Snowmass, I will be skiing there tomorrow
JustPanda
AG
Me too! Hit me up!
txam92
AG
Happy to arrive in Vail with snow falling. It might not be heavy, but happy for any. Also liked the news that Blue Sky Basin opened. It's probably not ideal back there but that's not going to stop me.
JustPanda
AG
It's not bad. Skied there today. Dusted all day. Really icy in some spots (Game Creek) Should be the last snow for the next week but the conditions aren't bad. It's scraped in places and the trees aren't really slapping but it's still WAY better than last week.

Edit to add: picked up 2 inches over the day. So 12 over the last 5 days. Since it fell today it won't be a 2 inch cushion tomorrow but it looked like it was snowing on BC when I left so there will be some spots that fill in really nicely. Not a crazy wide kinda day, but anything 88 - 105/7 should be fine.
jpb1999
AG
Random question for anyone that knows WC really well. Is there an easy way down on greens from The Continental Espresso Bar? Glancing at trail maps online doesn't really show one…
dtkprowler
AG
Sorry, thought I had an answer for you, but looking again and that seemed like it didn't line up. I'll just say, stick to Dashed Blues if at all possible if no green exists.

Bonanza Trail > Bonanza Cross Over seems like the best route down and if memory serves, they weren't too bad for my 2nd day skiing ever.

Good luck, I feel like WCs grading is a bit off and their signage for routes is atrocious lol.
JustPanda
AG
COLD today up at Snowmass. Just froze my ass off heading up Elk Camp.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks!

Can you take bonanza trail and get over to charisma crossover to get to the green turnpike?

Or how easy/hard is Navajo trail all the way down?

Asking for my wife as she is not a great skier and doesn't like heights but would really enjoy the espresso bar I think.

I have never been to WC but planning a trip in late February…
Red Five
AG
jpb1999 said:

Thanks!

Can you take bonanza trail and get over to charisma crossover to get to the green turnpike?

Or how easy/hard is Navajo trail all the way down?

Asking for my wife as she is not a great skier and doesn't like heights but would really enjoy the espresso bar I think.

I have never been to WC but planning a trip in late February…
I ski WC every Christmas and my wife and I love to hit the espresso bar. Best way down IMO is going to be Bonanza Trail -> Bonanza Crossover all the way down. Just keep staying to the right when the trail forks. There are a couple spots where you'll see green dots on signs indicating the easier ways. Getting to Turnpike requires either Charisma Crossover or Powder Puff and both of those are steeper than Bonanza Crossover. My 7 year old can handle Bonanza Crossover no problem, although we start off the Bonanza lift instead of at the espresso bar.

I'll echo the comment about WC's grading and signage. I love skiing there, but it's not hard to get surprised if you aren't familiar with the mountain. Bonanza Crossover is much more like a green than a blue.

edit to add: the espresso bar is not big and they only have 1 person working there who has to take orders and make drinks. Only like 4 tables and they can easily fill up. If it's busy you'll be waiting in line a while, but by the time you order chances are someone will have gotten up. We still find it to be a nice break during the day.
dtkprowler
AG
I remember trying to get to and find navajo trail and I didn't like it. Was a steep and confusing trying to find it and ended up dropping a difficult blue instead I believe. Maybe someone else can confirm but looks like you have to hit Scat (black) to get to Navajo?.
Red Five
AG
dtkprowler said:

I remember trying to get to and find navajo trail and I didn't like it. Was a steep and confusing trying to find it and ended up dropping a difficult blue instead I believe. Maybe someone else can confirm but looks like you have to hit Scat (black) to get to Navajo?.
Not exactly, but it is confusing. It looks like you are going to go down Scat, but really it just takes a short slope down to another fork with 3 different blue trails and you hang a right to hit Navajo. The top of the slope at the Treasure Lift is by far the most confusing part of the mountain for me. It's almost impossible to find any one specific trail if you haven't been down it before and the map is absolutely no help.
dtkprowler
AG
thanks for that! filed away for next time!
watty
AG
Jumping into this thread for the first time...

We're headed to Pagosa to ski Wolf Creek next week. We've skied there once so we're familiar but nevertheless, any tips/tricks are welcome. Sounds like snow is fine there even if no new snow falls in the next week?

I'm wondering if it would be worth our time to drive over to Purgatory one day? Or is that just a waste? We're planning on skiing from 1/3-1/6, so if people say it's worth the extra hour of driving, I'd be up for driving to Purgatory but if the snow is no good, I'd stay away. FWIW, we are three intermediate adults and two kids (11, 9) that picked things up quickly last year and can carefully manage some blue runs.
JustPanda
AG
Purgatory is WAY worse than WC. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be driving 2 hours round trip to hit up a base that's 2/3 of what I'm skiing.

maroonblood90
AG
We'll be on Purgatory tomorrow … will file a report.
watty
AG
Thanks to both of you... just out of curiosity, if the snow wasn't so minimal this year, would you say it's worth a drive to go do it under good conditions? We'll probably be returning in future years as we do love Wolf Creek.
JustPanda
AG
Yes
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm a month from going to Purg. I hope it turns around soon!
Sims
AG
JustPanda said:

Sims - posted your discount on the reservation you sent me
I'm just looking at my receipt and I only see the 30% that anyone gets for booking online.
JustPanda
AG
It won't show up until you get to the store. We don't charge you until pickup.
Sims
AG
We turned in our rentals on 12.20, our last day in breckenridge.
highpriorityag
was at Purgatory 12/24
we went snowmobiling
place was not crowded
RangerRick9211
AG
Absolute dog **** snow on Hood for our first Meadows day of the year.

But turns with the wife are always the GOAT.
JustPanda
AG
I'll refund it. I'll pull it when I'm at the shop. That means Breck didn't read their notes.
Sims
AG
Thank you sir!
JustPanda
AG
Ill shoot you an email w the amount that's being credited back to your card along w a copy of the receipt ASAP. SUPER SORRY!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Help is (hopefully) on the way!

Pahdz
Love that it shows Whitefish getting precip but man this pattern is killing Midwest hills. I'm not sure every hill is gonna make it out of this season still in business.
HouAg12
AG
Wolf Creek an absolute zoo today. Most people I've ever seen there
JustPanda
AG
WC is the new next favorite hill TX/OK/KS after Breck. It's only going to get worse and worse and worse. It's hidden gem days are far past.
watty
AG
HouAg12 said:

Wolf Creek an absolute zoo today. Most people I've ever seen there

What kind of lines were there?
HouAg12
AG
15 min+ lines at every lift…
txam92
AG
Vail was very crowded today too. At least being on a lesson today helped to jump the line. The lines do thin out after 1:30ish
JustPanda
AG
Vail breaths in an interesting way. The lifts have back up the same way for years. I rec going up 8 to 2 then riding 2 back to seven or running 2 a couple of times (it backs up starting around 10:30-11. Then running over the back of 2 to 7 and then 7 to the back bowls.

Everything clears out around lunch and then 14,3, and 2 get busy again until close. 26 is a great chair for intermediates that never backs up.

If you're running 8 to 2 to 14 or 1 to 14 over to 10/11 then go up 1 and get on 14 ASAP. Northwoods will back up but it's not until later in the day.

I don't think I've taken gondola 1 in years. Gondola 1, chair 14/3 interchange and chair 2 backup the worst so ripping those early and at lunch is your best bet to avoid lift lines at vail.

I'm happy to show people around that are in town if you ever want to hit up the hill! I can also get you some steezy free parking that's like 50 yards from gondola 19 as long as it's not peak season (now until new years, MLK, or Presidents' Day).

If you want a chair that's all greens, go up gondola 1, ride 14 to the top, and then take 14 over to 16 like you're going to two elk. Sourdough is all beginner runs but slaps. Plus, two elk is awesome.
rather be fishing
AG
JP what should I be using to fix a small delam on my top sheet?

I used some pretty decent superglue right after I got them and it held for a few weeks but the glue failed.

Picked up some Gorilla Glue epoxy and I'm having a hard time getting it to hold.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.